Should Schools be allowed to give their female students the Morning After Pill without parental consent?

Drue-AFCL 2012/12/08 01:56:18

• Angelatxpatriot 2012/12/08 02:46:16
    Angelatxpatriot
    +10
    First of all, it's a pharmaceutical, a drug, and for anyone to give my child a drug without my consent, that act alone, should be punishable in a court of law, and they'll be real lucky not be punished by MY court of law, because I can tell you, I would go medieval on them.

They don't know a child's health history like the parents or the family's chosen physician. They might not know that the child's family could be one of the growing many, who are choosing not even vaccinate their child due to the poisons they're finding in the vaccines now. Or the family's who's religious beliefs keep them from vaccinating, whatever, they have no idea, and they are way out of bounds in administering anything pharmaceutical without the parents consent.

Then there are the parents who do vaccinate, and still don't want a school nurse or anyone else for that matter administering pharma to their kids, without the parents consent.

Wow, I gotta say, if there is anyone out there that thinks this is OK, you need to have your head examined. This is so wrong on so many levels, it's mind boggling.

• stacy 2012/12/11 00:58:56
    stacy
    +1
    Hell NO
  • Wizard_in_Time 2012/12/10 21:17:09
    Wizard_in_Time
    If they are at the age of 15 or higher, I don't think that'd be a problem.
  • Jim 2012/12/10 15:41:48
  • Mrs.B 2012/12/10 11:33:19
    Mrs.B
    +1
    Some girls can be allergic to it and I believe at least one has died from it. I would be so pissed if a school gave my daughter something like that
  • Zepland 2012/12/10 06:06:21
    Zepland
  • Bronar 2012/12/10 04:44:48
    Bronar
    +1
    No way.Parents deserve to know what the schools are doing with their children.
  • silentart 2012/12/10 04:44:17
    silentart
    +1
    Without parent's knowledge, it mean government's control is more powerful than parent.
  • Silvershadows 2012/12/09 03:26:04
    Silvershadows
    +1
    Can't give them an aspirin for a headache so this? Their parents should become parents and know what their kids are doing-----talk to them, teach them manners, morals and customs and IF they become pregnant or come up with a STD-----it's their fault! They should know there will be a consequence for behavior AND the stud they lay with will help in the expense. If he doesn't??? I can think of a few things for him too.
  • CWOO10 - PWCM 2012/12/09 01:59:12
    CWOO10 - PWCM
    +1
    The children are the responibiity of the parents, not the school, not the government.
  • Georgia50 2012/12/09 00:41:08
    Georgia50
    +1
    Any parent dumb enough or uncaring enough to leave their children in such a school will be too dumb or uncaring about someone giving their children pills.
  • Captamerica 2012/12/09 00:28:49
    Captamerica
    +1
    Parents should have final say in their children's lives, unless they are incompetent.
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2012/12/08 21:22:44
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    You don't need parental consent to take a morning after pill. That's like needing parental consent to take an ibuprofen lol.
  • Georgia50 ««Ginge... 2012/12/09 00:42:10
    Georgia50
    I take it you're new to health issues in public education?
  • ««Ginge... Georgia50 2012/12/09 06:55:31
    I take it you've never taken the morning after pill before?
  • Georgia50 ««Ginge... 2012/12/09 16:49:35
    Georgia50
    I did when the Buckeyes had their win over the 'Backs voided. Does that count?
  • ««Ginge... Georgia50 2012/12/09 22:00:14
  • Georgia50 ««Ginge... 2012/12/10 17:40:21
    Georgia50
    You do have a way with subtlety.
  • Gwen ««Ginge... 2012/12/09 00:57:34
    Gwen
    +2
    I am a school nurse...and I have to have signed permission for Tylenol....Ibuprofen....so yeah...the morning after pill?....you gotta be kidding.

so ...you would rather abdicate your responsibility as a parent...to the school nurse?.....wait a minute...this happens all the time...

I stand corrected .....smh
  • ««Ginge... Gwen 2012/12/09 06:56:44
    No I wouldn't have to, I would be a responsible parent that would buy my kid the pill myself if she needed it. However there are stupid parents out there that want to try to control their daughter's reproductive choices, which I why I agree with this.
  • Gwen ««Ginge... 2012/12/09 19:10:19
    Gwen
    Too much is being pushed into the school. The school was never meant to be the main health care provider for students. Too little follow up and care would happen I would fear. Teenagers that are pregnant should be referred to their physician..not to a simple dispensary.
  • ««Ginge... Gwen 2012/12/09 22:02:59
    What difference does it make if they can get it one way or another? The side effects of the pill are very minor and there is no follow up care necessary. You should know that, being a nurse!
  • Gwen ««Ginge... 2012/12/09 22:45:00
    Gwen
    There are few side effects to Tylenol either...but still a permission form is needed...how lazy can one be as a mother to abdicate this to a school? As a nurse, I know that this doesn't need to take place at school. As a school nurse teacher I know that youth will come to view this as a norm...and will not be responsible with BC or more importantly protection from STD's if all they think they need to worry about is pregnancy prevention or termination.
  • Kelli Freeman 2012/12/08 20:37:40 (edited)
    Kelli Freeman
    +1
    I say no not because I disagree with the pill, I love having the choice to take it. Giving a minor a pharmaceutical with the side effects listed and not listed without parental consent is simply something that could result in harming the child's health. Parents should have some notification about their daughter's choice to take a pharmaceutical... and I hope that those parents would be understanding.
  • out damned spot 2012/12/08 19:15:49
  • kcoat 2012/12/08 19:08:12
  • Riobhca 2012/12/08 18:38:36 (edited)
    Riobhca
    +2
    Hell to the no!! Schools should have no right to undermine parental authority, especially giving students any kind of drug without parental consent. Whatever happened to schools being places for learning? Now they are only places of brainwashing, social engineering and the destruction of decorous society. Our students become more stupid every year. What a disgrace.
  • Gregaj7 2012/12/08 18:10:39
    +1
    They'll do it anyway.
  • Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/12/08 17:50:36
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +3
    Should students require a permission slip to go on a field trip? They require parental permission for every little thing. If you want to make an argument for revoking parental rights, then you had better have a damn convincing argument to take them out of all the little things that require consent first.
  • calvin236 2012/12/08 17:20:24
    calvin236
    +2
    Parents should be informed about the side-effects and the choices they have. But opt-out is a nice feature.
  • bigfoot 2012/12/08 17:20:07
    bigfoot
    +3
    Schools are for learning only.Schools are used as the solution for evey problem imagineable except teaching and learning.And the public wonders what teachers do all day in their posh jobs?Teachers are doing the parents job.Think about the question.A female student is very comfortable asking a school authority figure for a Morning After pill than a family member.How many pills are allowed each female requester per year? Are they accompanied with birth control items?Its crazy.
  • mikeyavelli 2012/12/08 16:46:52
    mikeyavelli
    with so many student/faculty relationships why not? even for the homeschooled.
  • Lanikai 2012/12/08 16:39:22
    +2
    There are entirely too many side effects, one of which is bleeding. This can easily cause DEATH, and the parents have a NEED to know so that IF their daughter passes out, they know what to tell the Dr.
  • KMoom 2012/12/08 16:32:24
    KMoom
    If you read the article, it said there is an opt out for the parents. If the parents say its okay, then I don't see what the problem is.
  • Gwen KMoom 2012/12/09 00:59:11
    Gwen
    +1
    opt out.......should be an opt in.

Then one would know for sure that a parent has made the conscious decision...not just forgotten to opt out...
  • KMoom Gwen 2012/12/09 22:01:16
    KMoom
    Oh, so would you rather girls get abortions? Prevention versus solution. If this reduces pregnancies, then go for it. If you have an issue, you can opt out. The problem is lots of girls wouldn't seek prevention if they knew their parents would find out. While flawed and in need of perfection, this idea can help hundreds of girls.
  • Gwen KMoom 2012/12/09 22:56:19
    Gwen
    who said anything about not wanting prevention?!?!?.....Honestly, I see students viewing this as more of a norm...and not thinking more carefully about STD's and protection if they think they have the pregnancy issue more easily covered. Your comment reflects that kind of thinking..This does nothing for the aforementioned issues. Families deserve to be treated with respect and the assumption made that they will work out their personal decisions together. We don't vaccinate students at my school without permission. We don't give tylenol with out a permission on file...just signed once a year...good grief...like that is too much to ask. If a family thinks that this will be of value..why don't we respect that they will opt in...like a vaccination, or other needs...not remove communication from parents and children because someone other than family knows what is best for their child.
  • Tom Trojan 2012/12/08 16:31:23
    Tom Trojan
    +4
    Not the school's or the government's job.....or place
  • Bonita Colley 2012/12/08 16:15:27
    Bonita Colley
    +3
    Once again the Public Indoctrinating System is taking control from parents! When will parents wake up and say NO!?!
  • bigfoot Bonita ... 2012/12/08 20:43:15
    bigfoot
    Sorry Bonita.You have it backwards.When are parents going to take responsibility for the raising and discipline of their children? How about a five year old telling a teacher to shut the f ## k up? That was Friday morning.Tell the parents? Oh! The teacher is picking on my sweetheart.Thats just a minor event that happeneds every day.The problem totally belongs to the parents. Do yourself a favor.And spend a few days at your local schools.You'll be shocked.Without a doubt.
  • Georgia50 bigfoot 2012/12/09 00:43:45
    Georgia50
    +1
    We already have zoos. Take the little bastards there.

2014/10/25 03:02:22