Should Rich Kids Be Allowed Full Scholarships...?

Josh Robinson 2012/05/31 12:36:21
Yes... If they've Earned It...
Yes... Even If They Haven't Earned It...
No... Wealthy Students Shouldn't Be Granted Scholarships Even If They Earned It...
No... Wealthy Students Shouldn't Be Granted Scholarships THEY SHOULD BE STARTING THEM...!
Hip-hop mogul Diddy is worth $500 million, and his son just landed a
full-ride, merit-based scholarship to UCLA. Where's the justice?

Among
the graduating high school class of 2012 is one Justin Combs, who
finished his senior year with an impressive 3.75 GPA and an equally
impressive record on the football field. UCLA rewarded Justin's
accomplishments with a full, $54,000 merit-based scholarship
and a spot in the school's storied football program. The twist: Justin
is the son of hip-hop mogul Sean "Diddy" Combs, recently named the
wealthiest man in hip-hop by Forbes. With California's state schools facing deep cuts,
UCLA's decision to offer Justin a chunk of its scarce resources is
being widely criticized. Should the Combs clan give back the money? Or
should the size of Justin's dad's bank account even matter?

Justin shouldn't keep this money: Here's the bottom line, says Dennis Romero in LA Weekly:
"The son of a guy worth nearly half a billion dollars" doesn't need a
free ride to college, especially to "a school where student tuition and
fees have nearly tripled in the last 10 years." I mean, this is a kid
who poses in front of "a $300,000-plus Maybach," likely the car his dad
got him on his 16th birthday. Now that's "a free ride that could pay for half dozen full-ride scholarships to UCLA."

Read More: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/rich-kids-ineligible...

• Rebel Yell 2012/05/31 12:45:39
    No... Wealthy Students Shouldn't Be Granted Scholarships THEY SHOULD BE START...
    Rebel Yell
    +5
    It would be a class act if Combs transferred that money to a kid with scant resources but who is just as deserving. I think it's great his own kid excelled in school, and he should be proud of him. But $54,000 is a drop in the bucket for Diddy.

• Ann 2012/06/02 14:22:14
    Yes... If they've Earned It...
    Ann
    Sorry, they earned it!!!! Plus now as they enter the grown up world, it is a great time to earn your own way. And there are many parents that just do not throw everything at their kids. They want them to learn responsibility, and the kid is off to a great start by doing a great job do not penalize that because of the money his father has. It reminds me of something I heard a young woman I had met said when someone had said to her about her being rich and she looked him right in the eyes and said I'm not rich my father is. There are many rich kids so to speak that donot want to live in their parents wallett.
  • Josh Ro... Ann 2012/06/02 14:44:13 (edited)
  • Ann Josh Ro... 2012/06/03 09:26:15
    Ann
    Yes it may seem that way, but the other thing is it is a sport scholarship that comes with his academic grades as well as his success on sports. So what people do not realize it is different than a full academic scholarship,if he turned it down it does not free it up to give to another, schools when it comes to sports are a lot like companies bidding for you to work for them, what is the offer!!! Oh and if you think his daddy is not going to put money back into the college to help others I think you will be surprised.
  • Josh Ro... Ann 2012/06/03 10:49:19
    Josh Robinson
    Understood.
  • Ann Josh Ro... 2012/06/07 17:00:15
    Ann
    +1
    Hey Josh, I wanted to point out with your first comment to me that I do believe that you read what I wrote incorrectly. I had said not every parent just throws things at their kids. You responded by saying it was not thrown at him he earned it. Lol. I think you did what I do at times I misinterprete things trying to read to fast. Have a great day.
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2012/05/31 16:57:39
    Yes... If they've Earned It...
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    +1
    YES, THEY'VE EARNED IT!

IT'S to REWARD the BRIGHTEST, ISN'T IT?

WHY PUNISH the BEST-SUCCESSFUL STUDENTS?!
  • Josh Ro... LADY LI... 2012/05/31 17:14:06
    Josh Robinson
    +1
    But scholarships are kind of like charity... It's there for the poor who are showing promise in society to be able to afford the education they are capable of and succeed if they can. Now there is one less scholarship available at that school because it was given to a person who earned it but did not need it. Scholarships really only exist because of the needy and the good grace of the wealthy.
  • Josh Robinson 2012/05/31 16:13:30
    Yes... If they've Earned It...
    Josh Robinson
    If a person is wealthy of heart as well as possession they would formally appreciate the gesture of a scholarship and offer it to the next in need without being prompted by another.
  • MW121 2012/05/31 15:50:36
    Yes... If they've Earned It...
    MW121
    What his parents make should have nothing to do with their son obtaining a scholarship on their own merit. I think people should stop worrying about what others have and worry about themselves..
  • lm1b2 2012/05/31 15:45:48 (edited)
    Yes... If they've Earned It...
    lm1b2
    As long as he earned it,why not?But if his parents let him take it,and their wealthy,it doesn't say much for them!
  • Christopher101 2012/05/31 15:32:54
    Yes... If they've Earned It...
    Christopher101
    I understand the reason behind those that say no, however I can't stand by and tell someone oh you're rich by association therefore your hard work is meaningless. Scholarships are to help out those in need by giving them equal footing with everyone else to have the means to pay for school. However, life is a competition, sorry but that's how it is and if they want it, they need to work for it.
  • JackSchitt 2012/05/31 15:01:53
    Yes... If they've Earned It...
    JackSchitt
    +1
    Receiving the scholarship offer tells the kid..."you worked hard - hard work pays off and you DESERVE this." A good lesson for the kid to learn.

A wealthy parent with any kind of class would then tell the kid "You made us proud winning the scholarship, but we're either going to turn this offer down, or donate the money right back because there are other hard-working kids out there who need this more than we do." ANOTHER great lesson for the kid to learn.
  • Ozzyboy 2012/05/31 14:45:32
    Ozzyboy
    +2
    This is purely disgusting. Combs prospered from the people and I agree with the guy who said that if he had any class at all he would give that $54,000 to a kid who is just as worthy but can't afford it.
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2012/05/31 13:48:30
  • Dr. Sliptinschit 2012/05/31 13:29:35
    Yes... If they've Earned It...
    Dr. Sliptinschit
    +1
    Why should lazy liberals be the only ones getting free stuff all the time? It's the rich man's tax money that paid for it in the first place.
  • Josh Ro... Dr. Sli... 2012/05/31 13:51:30
  • Jeff Smith 2012/05/31 13:22:01
    Jeff Smith
    +1
    Besides Daddy or Diddy or whatever he calls himself may be an asset to the school when there looking for donations.
    This is California your talking about mostly backward thinkers there anyway
    No... Wealthy Students Shouldn't Be Granted Scholarships Even If They Earned ...
  • Josh Ro... Lady Wh... 2012/05/31 13:22:10
    Josh Robinson
    +1
    I like this question... I think it's going to be a good one : )
  • Scream 2012/05/31 13:05:57
    Yes... If they've Earned It...
    Scream
    +2
    But the children with less money should be priorities.
    If you have two kids with the same grades, same potential, but one comes from a wealthy family, you should give the scholarship to the other kid.
  • Bill G53 ~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/31 13:04:16
    Yes... If they've Earned It...
    Bill G53  ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Hard work should be rewarded.
  • Rebel Yell 2012/05/31 12:45:39
    Rebel Yell
    +5
  • Ann Rebel Yell 2012/06/02 14:29:02
    Ann
    His kid did excel and did earn it, what does it say to the kid who now is starting to make his own mark in this world that hey your daddy's got money so nice job but.....he is going to college which tells me he is interested. In doing more than live off his daddy.
  • Waldorf 2012/05/31 12:45:20
    Waldorf
    +1
    That's the way football recruiting works.
  • Josh Ro... Waldorf 2012/05/31 13:14:45 (edited)
    Josh Robinson
    +1
    Football...lol There are only a few bigger wastes of human effort than Professional GridIron Football and one of them is war. football hit

2014/07/29 02:55:00