Should Prisons have to prepare, special foods, based on religious requirements?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2011/10/04 13:36:42

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A Muslim death row inmate says the Ohio prison system is denying him meals prepared according to Islamic law while at the same time providing kosher meals to Jewish prisoners, according to a federal lawsuit that alleges a civil rights violation.

The state said Monday that it has already removed pork from its menus in response to the lawsuit brought by condemned inmate Abdul Awkal, who argues the prison system's failure to provide halal meals is a restraint on his religious freedoms.

Awkal, joined by a second inmate not on death row, says the vegetarian and non-pork options offered by the Department of Rehabilitation and Correction aren't good enough. The inmates say food must be prepared in specific fashion, such as ensuring that an animal is butchered by slitting its throat and draining its blood, to conform to Islamic beliefs.

Read More: http://news.yahoo.com/ohio-muslim-inmates-sue-over...

• kobidobidog 2012/05/30 22:35:39 (edited)
    Yes, we should make concessions for inmate's religion.
    kobidobidog
    Do unto others what you would want to be done unto you. What is clean to you might not be clean to another.
  • Bocephus 2011/12/09 19:44:39 (edited)
  • HAlex1972 2011/10/26 21:59:30
    HAlex1972
    +2
    We need to revamp our entire criminal justice system, including taking a look at some of the ridiculous laws and the ridiculous sentences for breaking those laws.
    People are complaining that we have too many regulations burdening our corporations, but what about the oppressive "regulations" on the average citizen?
  • kobidob... HAlex1972 2012/05/30 22:39:38 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    +1
    Jesus frees humans, the other guy,..well you know, that means jails are anti Christ, from the get go.
  • Francisco Arguelles 2011/10/15 17:01:57
    No, if they wanted a special diet, they should've stayed out of jail.
    Francisco Arguelles
    if they were so dam religious wtf are they doin locked up???
    in prison u do what yur told when yur told to do it n u eat what yur given....they have a bunch of other food u can purchase from commisary if yur fam sent u cash...
  • DeborahLakeHelen 2011/10/13 03:49:54
    DeborahLakeHelen
    Prison isn't a vacation, the people there aren't PAYING to stay in a hotel, and they're not supposed to be having a good time. If they were so worried about what their next meal was going o be, they should have stayed out of trouble. I think poor food is just part of the punishment. If we start catering to their picky little whims, the next thing they'll demand is private rooms, with a Tempurpedic bed, a jacuzzi and room service! Not having fun in prison? TOO freakin; BAD!!!!

man in jail
  • heirsoftheking 2011/10/12 18:14:19
    heirsoftheking
    Long ago all prisoners got was bread and water in dingy dungeons.
  • Shadow 2011/10/12 12:01:43
    Shadow
    If Christians had a special religious ritual that was needed in a prison system, there would be no questions asked. But since Christians don't have any special requirements to appease their "God", anything will do. I've been in my share of these debates personally and it all comes down to, what state your in and who's running the show. A southern Christian warden gives a flying "F" about other ppls religious needs. Northern states are more open to the idea of religious rights and needs outside of their own.
  • owen Shadow 2011/10/15 05:44:16
    owen
    We do have certain restriction,I dont eat pork for the same reasons jews dont. I once heard a rabbi say that it was okay to eat it so long as it was to sustain life.The muslims take everything to the extreme,perhaps they should focus more on paedophilia and murder.In any case under the circumstances it would be beneath the government to deny these people the most basic of religious rights.We as western democracies should be better than that
  • Ray Cyst 2011/10/12 00:11:47
    Ray Cyst
    +1
    Muslims inmates should be fed nothing but pork.
  • Deborah... Ray Cyst 2011/10/13 03:55:45
    DeborahLakeHelen
    And made to look at the bottom of other inmates feet!

laughing cat
  • Luke 2011/10/11 19:09:54
    Luke
    Yeah, Hey Jailer, My bed is not right I should have a posturpedic pillow top, while your there can you pick up some hypoallergenic pillows as well???
  • owen Luke 2011/10/15 05:47:24
    owen
    +1
    The u.s. has a terrible reputation worldwide on its poor treatment of prisoners and health and welfare of its poorest citizens.Shame on you for that
  • Luke owen 2011/10/17 12:25:30
    Luke
    Sorry , I thougt prisons are where you go to be PUNISHED for doing something wrong.....I got confused when I heard about cable and such.....Sheriff Joe seems to have a plan ....
  • owen Luke 2011/10/17 12:58:37
    owen
    +1
    No the punishment is the time spent in there,we are not supposed to torture and starve,oh yeah we are speaking about the u.s.
  • Luke owen 2011/10/17 13:42:49
    Luke
    You have incidents that back up torture and starve that happened in the USA???
  • owen Luke 2011/10/20 11:51:51
    owen
    +1
    us military prisons are known worldwide for their torture tactics and prisons on the mexican border are on virtual starvation diets
  • Luke owen 2011/10/20 15:50:32
    Luke
    Compared to beheadings and the Posh treatment you get in foreign countries we have hotels.
  • owen Luke 2011/10/24 06:58:56
    owen
    I accept that muslim countries,China are much worse
  • owen Luke 2012/06/13 06:58:18
    owen
    Sister Jean on sodahead promotes waterboarding of suspects and what are they supposed to eat if theres no halal?
  • Juliet Alyssa 2011/10/11 03:54:20
    Juliet Alyssa
    +1
    Religion is a part of the "reform" process for some. If it helps them become a better person, do it!
  • owen Juliet ... 2011/10/15 05:48:24
    owen
    +1
    Nice to see a clear thinker for a change
  • wallygator64 2011/10/11 03:33:44
    wallygator64
    prisoners have way too many rights......I always thought when you go to prison,you loose your rights WTF
  • owen wallyga... 2011/10/15 05:49:09
    owen
    +1
    Perhaps you would be happier in red China my friend
  • wallyga... owen 2011/10/15 15:30:03
    wallygator64
    +1
    I want to visit China,see the sights.Yea.I love America,and the freedoms we have.But prisoners,have no rights,except a bed,and three squares.Get over it.
  • owen wallyga... 2011/10/17 13:02:15
    owen
    +1
    Tread very carefully in China,America is not so different in parts these days due to morons like yourself.I lost two uncles in the Korean war trying to defend the rights of mugs like you.
  • wallyga... owen 2011/10/17 13:34:36
    wallygator64
    I'm a vet,I'm also a law abiding citizen.I have the utmost respect for other vets and my heart goes out to the families who lost my "brothers-in-arms".
  • owen wallyga... 2011/10/24 06:59:59
    owen
    Im sorry to fly of the handle like that
  • wallyga... owen 2011/10/24 16:15:21
    wallygator64
    No problem.
  • owen wallyga... 2012/06/13 07:00:31
    owen
    War is a terrible thing both parents lost many family members in ww1,ww2 and in korea.
  • Matt 2011/10/10 09:53:05
    Matt
    Religious laws would then dictate that separate equipment be used to prepare their food. If they wanted food "their way", they should have went to Burger King, instead of prison.
  • owen Matt 2011/10/15 05:59:02
    owen
    +1
    I saw a doco on u.s. prisons where a homeless black man was thieving petty belonings out of car glove boxes simply to eat. That poor soulis on the three strikes rule and now serves the remainder of his sad life behind bars.Texas,California and other u.s. states are full of men on death row that are known to be innocent.Your American justice systemn is a disgrace.Its very true that theres no justice for the poor in your country.
  • Matt owen 2011/10/15 11:23:51
    Matt
    It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
  • owen Matt 2011/10/17 13:13:12
    owen
    +3
    Our leaders are definately introducing a type of communism apon us,here in Melbourne state police hassel everyone on trains for tickets.we already have transit police and company ticketing inspectors.The Chinese Government own the state of victorias railroads and our tax dollars are wasted on state cops checking tickets instead of catching terrorists and rapists.It seems they are out to suck up to China big time.Its my guess that the western powers have agreed to get us used to a lesser quality of life,
  • blessed owen 2012/02/19 15:42:55
    blessed
    I always thought you had more freedoms than we have in the states, sorry to hear things are not going well.
  • owen blessed 2012/02/20 00:57:06
    owen
    +1
    Our police have the right to stop and search anyone at any time.I have seen elderly folks and your every day citizens stopped.The police force is now full of young punks with shocking attitudes and eager to pull out a weapon,no freind times have changed forever downunder
  • HAlex1972 owen 2012/06/13 04:59:32
    HAlex1972
    Its the same in the US. Freedom is no longer a truth in this country.
  • Clara 2011/10/09 17:09:07
    Clara
    oh please. chances are he broke religious law
  • owen Clara 2011/10/15 06:01:05
    owen
    +1
    The way laws are being tightened in the usa dont be too surprised if you end up being imprisoned for one minor breach or another
  • HAlex1972 owen 2012/06/13 05:00:33
    HAlex1972
    You're absolutely right. The righteous, indignant, completely without mercy, attitudes by the people posting here are atrocious. I suppose their going to next claim that they are Christians too.

2014/07/26 19:24:59