Should polygamy be legalized in the United States if all parties involved agree to get married?

Simmering Frog 2012/05/15 00:36:20

+18
    Absolutely not. Such a policy will likely start a civil war between the left-out men and the harem gatherers.

"How I wish I'd called him that. Right to his face!
    "Libertine! And while I'm on the subject, Sire,
    "There are certain goings-on about this place
    "That I wish to tell you I do not admire!"

Rogers and Hammerstein.

• Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/05/15 00:53:27
    Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +2
    Nobody's business, but the ones involved.
  • Mandy 2012/05/15 00:53:04
    Mandy
    +2
    I see no reason why not.
  • Simmeri... Mandy 2012/05/15 01:10:58
    Simmering Frog
    So define marriage then.
  • Mandy Simmeri... 2012/05/15 01:26:17 (edited)
    Mandy
    Well, if polygamy were legally recognized the definition would read something like this: The consensual unification of two or more adults in a legally recognized relationship.
  • tweet_tweet 2012/05/15 00:49:39
    tweet_tweet
    +3
    I don't see how this hurts me or anyone not involved in the arrangement.
  • Simmeri... tweet_t... 2012/05/15 01:11:09
    Simmering Frog
    Define marriage then.
  • tweet_t... Simmeri... 2012/05/15 01:17:57
    tweet_tweet
    Marriage: something I never want to be involved in...ever
  • 001 2012/05/15 00:49:08
    001
    +3
    I would never agree on such a relationship myself. I am monogamous, I was raised with those ideas and it feels good to me this way. There are also people who were raised with different ideas. Just because their ideas are different, doesn't mean they are bad. If all people in the relationship, marriage or not, agree to a polygamous relationship, I do not see how it can harm anyone and I do not see why it is illegal.
  • Rusty Bubbles 2012/05/15 00:48:58
    Rusty Bubbles
    +4
    Polygamy is one wife too many. Monogamy is the same. - Oscar Wilde
  • Hank 2012/05/15 00:48:47
    Hank
    +4
    Can you imagine some poor b*stard with 8 or 9 mothers-in-law? Attorneys would have a field day when it comes to handling divorce proceedings with several plaintiffs and one defendant. Why would anyone want to have more than one spouse? Dealing with one is a full time vocation for many of us. Talk about Post Traumatic Stress !
  • Anpadh 2012/05/15 00:46:12
    Anpadh
    +1
    Legalizing polygamy will actually reduce polygamy. Many people today have multiple partners. They will have fewer partners if they are required to marry multiple partners.
  • Donald ... Anpadh 2012/05/31 17:24:52
    Donald Eric Kesler
    +1
    No one is talking about requiring anyone to marry multiple partners. The question was whether or not polygamy should be allowed.
  • Anpadh Donald ... 2012/06/03 14:26:23
    Anpadh
    Donald, it seems to me that you are not clear on the concept of polygamy. Polygamy means marrying multiple partners. Mongoamy means marrying only one partner.
  • Donald ... Anpadh 2012/06/04 13:52:37
    Donald Eric Kesler
    I am very clear on the concept of polygamy.

You wrote, "They [people with multiple partners] will have fewer partners if they are required to marry multiple partners."

It was your use of the word "required" that elicited my response. No one is advocating that marrying multiple partners should be required. Some people, like myself, are advocating that marrying multiple partners should be allowed.

There is a difference between what is required and what is allowed. U.S. citizens are allowed to own a gun; however, In most of the United States a citizen is not required to own a gun.
  • Anpadh Donald ... 2012/06/11 04:09:55
    Anpadh
    You are required to marry more than one person at a time if you want to be a polygamist. That's what the word "polygamy" means. To practice monogamy, you are REQUIRED to have one partner and one partner only. To practice polygamy, you are REQUIRED to have multiple partners. If you have only one partner then you are practicing monogamy, not polygamy.
  • Donald ... Anpadh 2012/06/11 08:43:02
    Donald Eric Kesler
    All anyone is proposing is allowing polygamy to be legal.

Once again, you wrote, "They [people with multiple partners] will have fewer partners if they are required to marry multiple partners."

Of course, those who wish to engage in polygamy would have multiple partners. However, those who have multiple sexual partners would not be required to marry any of them. No one is required to marry anyone.
  • Anpadh Donald ... 2012/06/24 17:00:58
    Anpadh
    You are not practicing polygamy if you do not MARRY your multiple partners. Millions of single men have multiple partners, through their lives. Some of those single men eventually marry and some do not. In either case, they are not polygamists. To be a polygamist, you are REQUIRED to marry and you are REQUIRED to have multiple partners. An unmarried person is simply single. A person MARRIED to one person is a monogamist. A person MARRIED to more than one person is a polygamist.
  • Donald ... Anpadh 2012/06/25 14:42:24
    Donald Eric Kesler
    I am going to spell this out for you one last time.

This is the sentence I was responding to way back on May 31st. As I wrote then, no one is talking about requiring anyone to marry multiple partners.

Of course, a polygamist will have multiple partners. Everyone understands this. Everyone knows that to be a polygamist, one is required marry multiple people. No one is disputing this fact. Do you understand? No one is disputing the definition of polygamy.

I merely sought to clarify your position. The way you worded your earlier sentence, it conveyed the idea that you thought people would be forced to participate in polygamous marriages. Forcing people to participate in polygamous marriages is not something that anyone here is advocating.

Back on May 31st, I was seeking clarification for your statement. Today, I don’t give a damn what you were attempting to convey.
  • Anpadh Donald ... 2012/06/28 02:28:40
    Anpadh
    So you were just too stupid to understand what i explained to you three times.
  • Donald ... Anpadh 2012/06/28 14:18:46
    Donald Eric Kesler
    Yes. That is correct. I was too stupid to understand what you explained three times. I am sorry.
  • aherbert 2012/05/15 00:45:25
    aherbert
    +2
    Sure why not ... if it is a marriage with consenting adults.... and they can wear their magic underwear too...

mitt romney magic underwear mitt romney magic underwear
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2012/05/15 00:45:15
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +4
    If they are all of the age of consent, yes.
  • Yes
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +5
    If an adult chooses to marry someone who is already married, as moronic as that is, that person should have the right.
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2012/05/15 00:43:48
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +5
    Huge can of legal worms and divorce cases will be an even bigger mess
    +18

Rogers and Hammerstein.
  • sha_lyn68 Temlako... 2012/05/15 15:42:43 (edited)
    sha_lyn68
    +1
    Why are you assuming that only men would have multiple spouses and would be "harem gatherers"?
  • Temlako... sha_lyn68 2012/05/15 18:37:40
    +9
    Because I have never once observed "polyandry," unless you count "prostitution."
  • sha_lyn68 Temlako... 2012/05/15 20:39:35
    sha_lyn68
    I don't care what you have observed, and prostitution has nothing to do with polyamorous relationships. I doubt you have witnessed much in the way of polyamory other than watching TV.
  • Temlako... sha_lyn68 2012/05/15 21:44:22
    +10
    And what do you know about polyamory? Have you statistics to show that polyandry is on an equal footing with polygyny? Because if it is not, then I repeat: that would set up a shooting war between the Left-out Men and the Lucky Men.
  • sha_lyn68 Temlako... 2012/05/16 00:09:01
    sha_lyn68
    +1
    Outside of Islam and Mormons (the fringe groups, not the LDS church) most poly relationships allow both sexes to have multiple partners and in my experience it is most common for the relationships to be bisexual.

You just sound jealous and bitter. You are afraid won't find anyone desperate enough to sleep with you if poly marriages are allowed.
  • Temlako... sha_lyn68 2012/05/16 02:35:08
    +19
    Will you tell me why I should not flag that last for a personal attack against myself?

Why shouldn't I, or any man, seek to protect the advantage I have in living in a civil society that:

1. Allows as many girls as boys to be born, and

2. Limits marriage partners to one at a time?

Do you comprehend the demographic explosion that is about to occur in China? Thanks to the systematic murder of the little girls, a generation of boys is growing up with no women available to them. They will be ripe for fighting a shooting war against all of China's neighbors. And you can imagine what they will do to the female prisoners, civilian and military, whom they encounter along the way.

Now to return to a more pertinent example: Somalia. There, polygyny is the rule. So you have young men without women. What do you think they do? They turn pirate, and are ripe to go into a battle of conquest.

You attacked me personally just then. In so doing, you gave me the right to counterattack. Except that I find your case more bewildering than offensive. Why should you want to join a harem? Why should you want to compete with ten other women, or even a hundred, for the affections of one man?

Of course, if you're actually looking forward to polyandry, that tends to control the steam, as it were. At least any man...

Of course, if you're actually looking forward to polyandry, that tends to control the steam, as it were. At least any man foolish enough to enslave himself to you, would no longer be competing against me.

For that is exactly what a member of the "many" gender in a poly relationship is: a slave. And the singleton side of that poly relationship is the master. (Or mistress.)

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime, shall exist in the United States, nor in any territory under its jurisdiction.":

Does that answer your question?
  • sha_lyn68 Temlako... 2012/05/16 03:12:06 (edited)
    sha_lyn68
    Who said I wanted to join or build a harem harem? You are the one who falsely believes that polygamy will lead to harems and that you will die alone because you are incapable of building a harem.

You are also falsely assuming that their there is a "many gender" side and a "singleton side". Polygamy has nothing to do with slavery, well no more of course than the institution of marriage as a whole. After all that is what most marriages were historically and to this day in many cases such as arranged monogamous marriages exist as nothing but business arrangements that sell use women as currency. Another example would be fundamentalist Christians who believe women are nothing more than servants of God and their earthly masters (husbands).

The more you say the more obvious it is that you know nothing about polygamy in the US. All you have is the fear that you will be be more likely to die alone since no woman would have to settle for you. It is your irrational fear that is driving your prejudice.
  • Temlako... sha_lyn68 2012/05/16 17:21:59
    +8
    I'm just trying to cover all bases. I'm also reminding you that the post illustration has one man and several women--the classic singleton man practicing polygyny. Now you're plumping for something else entirely: some kind of "clan marriage" or "line marriage" with roughly equal numbers of men and women taking part.

But of course your real beef is with nature, and nature's God.
  • Wayne Temlako... 2012/05/16 18:41:20
    Wayne
    +5
    I will strongly agree with your last line pertaining to all that go against nature and God.
  • sha_lyn68 Temlako... 2012/05/16 21:06:49
    sha_lyn68
    Actually it is monogamy that goes against nature and your so called "nature's God". You need to read your God's so called "word" and observe nature sometime.
  • Temlako... sha_lyn68 2012/05/16 21:08:06
    +5
    I have read God's Word. I cite I Corinthians 7:1-7. Look it up.
  • sha_lyn68 Temlako... 2012/05/16 22:58:18
    sha_lyn68
    What does a letter from Paul to a church in Greece have to do with anything? Are you saying that Paul is God? ROFLMAO
  • Temlako... sha_lyn68 2012/05/17 01:39:38
    +4
    Yeah, well, hey: Paul had a direct channel to God. In fact, he had an NDE, which he documents. It doesn't get any more direct than that, except for Jesus Himself.
  • MIZ® ₱... sha_lyn68 2012/06/05 06:51:49
    MIZ®  ₱д₸Ɽ¡Ö₸ ₩дⱤⱤ¡ÖⱤ   †
    You need an excuse to be gay?
  • sha_lyn68 MIZ® ₱... 2012/06/05 21:04:24
    sha_lyn68
    Huh?

2014/04/24 20:02:49