Should piracy be centralized?

FJ 2011/11/18 21:41:28
I think one should be able to download things off of the Internet for free, but maybe on a centralized site, where everything could be downloaded for free, and since it would have a lot of traffic the copyrights would be payed to the respectful owners.
Piracy will never be controlled and this way everyone would enjoy their movies, and the owners would still get payed.

• TiY ™ 2011/11/18 23:26:25
    No, it shouldn't!
    TiY ™
    +1
    piracy as it is now is a good thing. It keeps companies from price gouging. DO you remember when a CD costed $25-30 ?
  • FJ TiY ™ 2011/11/18 23:34:05 (edited)
    FJ
    Yeah I do lol and great point!
  • ray 2011/11/18 22:29:33
    No, it shouldn't!
    ray
    +1
    Where does the money come from to pay the owners of Movies / music / programs / writings / blogs / news ?

Now that your so eager to take , what is it you offer ?
  • FJ ray 2011/11/18 22:31:59
    FJ
    +1
    I am not eager to take it, but if you want my offer I would suggest you to read the description. LOL
  • uninfor... ray 2012/01/19 01:11:19
    uninformedluddite
    +1
    Here in .au when we buy blank media a part of the cost is used to offset losses to piracy much the way they did with blank audio and video tapes. As every time I personally buy blank media I pay a piracy fee why shouldn't I do it?
  • ray uninfor... 2012/01/19 12:25:31
    ray
    +1
    Do they charge the royalty on data discs also?

What’s the difference between CD-R audio & data disks?
    Q. Is there a true difference between blank CD-R discs advertised for data, and music? The music blanks cost more. I have been told they are the same.

A. On the surface there is no difference. The extra cost for the CD-R’s marketed for music rather than data comes from the royalty fees paid to the music industry. This is the same fee that is applied to blank cassette tapes. This fee does not apply to CD-R’s marketed as data discs.
    http://blog.chron.com/helplin...
  • uninfor... ray 2012/01/24 03:01:14
    uninformedluddite
    +1
    I did say here in .au! I know we behave like the USA's 54th state but your laws and taxes only apply to you if you were born in the USA. Thanks for the link though was interesting.
  • Rusty Shackleford 2011/11/18 21:58:47
    No, it shouldn't!
    Rusty Shackleford
    +2
    As a copyright owner that has had his property stolen, yes stolen, on the internet, I say no way in hell.

Is there no respect for personal property anymore?
  • FJ Rusty S... 2011/11/18 22:30:32
    FJ
    Well there should be respect for the property, but piracy will never stopped, and I can download a movie right now off of the Internet and not have the police knocking at my door. Lol
  • Rusty S... FJ 2011/11/18 23:06:26
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    Let me get this straight, you justify the theft because you can get away with it?
  • FJ Rusty S... 2011/11/18 23:14:28
    FJ
    No. What I mean is that, it is impossible to stop it, everyone will download things illegally, and I'm the type who will download a movie, and later buy it when it comes out.
    So why not build a platform like thepiratebay.org, and let people download what they want, and the money the site would get from all the advertisement would go to pay the respective copyright owners.
    Plus there could be premium memberships for people who would want to download at the highest speed.
    People would also be able to donate money voluntarily to the movie creators specifically. For example, if I had a lot of extra money and love the show Dexter I could feel generous enough to donate money to them.
    Plus the site would also have merchandise advertised.
    And all the other sites such as:
    monova
    torrenthound
    torrentz
    thepiratebay
    etc...
    Would be taken down, and everyone would start going to that other site.
    I am against piracy, but if artists are already getting ripped off, why not help them be less ripped off?
  • Rusty S... FJ 2011/11/18 23:25:42
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    People rob convenient stores and people end up getting hurt and sometimes even die. It is impossible to stop so we should just open up some convenient stores where people can come in and steal money, cigarettes, beer etc. But no one will call the cops or shoot at them so no one will get hurt.

I'm opposed to robbery but if people are going to get robbed, why not help them get robbed less?
  • FJ Rusty S... 2011/11/18 23:35:42
    FJ
    That is just ridiculous... But do you know what you could do, either donate to a charity or found a charity that would help feed the most needed, it would be basically the same thing XD
  • TiY ™ FJ 2011/11/18 23:30:48
    TiY ™
    +1
    That sounds reasonable, and is basically how the free radio and tv works
  • FJ TiY ™ 2011/11/18 23:35:58
    FJ
    +1
    Thank you :)
  • uninfor... Rusty S... 2011/11/19 00:23:32
    uninformedluddite
    +1
    Once again it is not theft
  • Rusty S... uninfor... 2011/11/19 00:24:52
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    How do you justify that statement?
  • uninfor... Rusty S... 2011/11/19 00:27:53
    uninformedluddite
    +2
    The actus reus of theft is usually defined as an unauthorized taking, keeping or using of another's property which must be accompanied by a mens rea of dishonesty and/or the intent to permanently deprive the owner or the person with rightful possession of that property or its use.
  • Rusty S... uninfor... 2011/11/19 02:06:09
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    Then by your definition, piracy of other people's work is theft.
  • uninfor... Rusty S... 2011/11/19 23:53:39
    uninformedluddite
    +2
    comprehension isn't your big subject is it
  • Rusty S... uninfor... 2011/11/20 00:30:09
    Rusty Shackleford
    I take a photograph and place it on my website, you copy the photograph and distribute without my permission. You have stolen my property.
  • TiY ™ Rusty S... 2011/11/23 13:54:40 (edited)
    TiY ™
    No, not if used under the fair use act. It is only theft if I profit from your photo.

Also look at your avatar, is that something you made ?
  • Rusty S... TiY ™ 2011/11/23 16:07:36
    Rusty Shackleford
    Yes, I made this and you are incorrect about copyright law.

It's not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact.
  • uninfor... Rusty S... 2012/01/24 03:05:19 (edited)
    uninformedluddite
    That avatar is really very clever. You came up with that all by yourself?
  • uninfor... TiY ™ 2012/01/24 03:04:50
    uninformedluddite
    Don't point out hypocrisy it's usually not understood. I wonder if he's some grandmaster DJ who's contribution to the world of copyright is what he put together on a pair of turntables. Now that's art
  • NoName Rusty S... 2012/01/18 23:36:33
    NoName
    If it was stolen, then why do you still have it?

Maybe it sounds loopy, goofy, or obnoxious, but it IS at least serious so far as pointing out that you had your rights infringed, rights to control your use of property - which is not the same as having property removed, and hence why copyright laws and theft are usually exclusive from one another. Pointing that out is not indicative of supporting or opposing piracy - not that you'd actually make any conclusions, just that people tend to look deeper than needed and by doing so miss the intended point.
  • Rusty S... NoName 2012/01/19 20:13:05
    Rusty Shackleford
    Are you really that stupid, or did you just smoke a big fatty?
  • uninfor... Rusty S... 2012/01/24 03:06:56
    uninformedluddite
    Are you really a christian libertarian? I always thought the two were mutually exclusive. We need to nail a few more people to a tree this century just to give some poor lost souls something to believe in.
  • uninfor... Rusty S... 2012/01/24 02:59:34
    uninformedluddite
    Have you got a download link for me. I can share it with my friends who have probably never heard of you and probably never will without that link.

2014/12/22 21:21:14