Should people with painful terminal illnesses be able to choose WHEN their life ends?

LotusBecca 2012/10/01 08:15:33

• Risk 2012/10/01 13:07:14
    Yes. I support people in making those end of life choices.
    Risk
    +3
    When it's HOPELESS, your in terrible pain, your in diapers and there is no will to go on or put up with your suffering, I find it difficult for ANYONE to deny you that choice !

• DragonSpark 2012/10/10 19:25:40
    No. I oppose doctor assisted suicide.
    DragonSpark
    There really needs to be an "Other" answer. In some cases I can support it, I support it for those people who are going through terrible suffering and have no way of easing it. But I don't support it for those who have other options so the don't have to suffer through the course of whatever illness they have. There's also the affect it would have on family, whether by the suicide or by the continued suffering of their loved one. I'm not really sure whether I can say I fully support it or not.
  • mikeeonly 2012/10/01 23:49:08
    mikeeonly
    agreed
  • laydeelapis 2012/10/01 21:15:46
    laydeelapis
    I definitely support people being able to decide when they want to die but I don't necessarily think it is the obligation of every doctor to provide it. Best case scenario, they should do it themselves.
  • bob h. 2012/10/01 17:32:16 (edited)
    bob h.
    +2
    If they can't, the hospitals will keep them alive artificially until they've gotten the last dime out of their insurance. Vampires.
  • askmike bob h. 2012/10/01 17:51:36
    askmike
    The NY Times reported in 2009 that 15% of all Medicare spending is for prolonging life for the final 60 days of patients in hospitals. The procedures taken frequently result in medical complications that require even more heroic and expensive procedures to correct. Patients are further exposed to pain and medically induced comas and their deaths frequently occur while they are unable to communicate.
  • bob h. askmike 2012/10/02 02:21:05
    bob h.
    Absolutely: I saw my mother's life end like that. I lost all respect for the vultures after that.
  • BigEyed... bob h. 2012/10/01 19:40:51
    BigEyedFish
    +1
    Amen and they won't care how uncomfortable the patient is or for how long their survivors will be paying hospital bills.
  • bob h. BigEyed... 2012/10/02 02:22:50
    bob h.
    +1
    My mother's mistake was in having excellent insurance. If she had none, they would have let her go.
  • BigEyed... bob h. 2012/10/02 14:42:43
    BigEyedFish
    That's how that goes, I know. My heart goes out to you and yours.
  • askmike 2012/10/01 17:29:16
    askmike
    +1
    Every state permits people to sign a Final Directive or a Health Care Directive that is specific on the extent of actions that person wants in the way of medical care if they are incapable of speaking or acting on their own volition. In addition, Oregon and Washington have established laws that are called "Death With Dignity Acts" that are available to residents of those states that permit terminally ill individuals to obtain a prescription from a medical doctor for a lethal dose of medicine they can take as long as they are capable of swallowing the dose; no medical personnel need be present at the time they ingest the medicine.
  • BigEyed... askmike 2012/10/02 14:44:23
    BigEyedFish
    interesting.
    NJ has the Living Will but I do not know if it includes the admittance of a lethal dose to end your life. I believe it is more about DNR's and stuff...
    very interesting tho...thanks.
  • askmike BigEyed... 2012/10/02 16:46:34
    askmike
    Oregon voters approved the Act in 1994. The legislature later overturned the Act and Oregon voters voted again in 1997 to reaffirm the Act. More than 500 Oregonians have died as a result of taking the authorized dose and it is estimated a couple hundred others who obtained the medicine failed to take the dose prior to their inability to swallow. Hundreds more who had the meds died without using the meds. The Act specifies that medical personnel and pharmacist personnel may refuse to participate in dispensing the medicine and the Act requires two witnesses to the written request to the doctor for the medicines; the witnesses may not be persons who are in the estate of the patient, the witnesses may not be the personal physician of the patient, the patient must be determined to be free of mental impairments, and the Act requires the patient to reapply to the apppointed medical person in writing after waiting for a 15 day period. The state of Washington recently passed a Death With Dignity Act that was modeled after the Oregon Act.
  • timothy.hill.14 2012/10/01 15:50:19
    timothy.hill.14
    +1
    Here is part of a great film on the subject
  • santa6642 2012/10/01 13:48:22
    santa6642
    +1
    I agree with this. If quality of life is not yours to have and you are in great pain, You should be able to tell your loved one LET ME GO,
  • Laura Lovegood 2012/10/01 13:46:47
  • askmike Laura L... 2012/10/01 14:40:24
    askmike
    +1
    The doctor does not perform the procedure in states with medical assisted suicide. The patient must first satisfy a specific list of steps in order to receive a prescription for a lethal dose of medicine. When the patient decides the discomfort is too extreme the patient must swallow the medicine on his own; the doctor is not present at that time. The patient understands that if he/she lapses into a coma nobody will be able to administer the fatal cocktail and that at that point their ability to consume the dose is no longer viable.
  • Laura L... askmike 2012/10/01 14:41:09
  • Cal 2012/10/01 13:35:41 (edited)
    No. I oppose doctor assisted suicide.
    Cal
    When they die.Everyone focuses on the person wanting to die. What about that healthcare provider who now has to live with the psychological and emotional damage to their lives? What about their family who lives with this provider? What about the PROVIDER and their LIFE? You would ruin it for your own selfish demise??

You want to die? Find a family member or a friend who will assist you willingly. Do not compel a healthcare provider to do so. We're not here for that, we don't do that, and we wont do that even if the law changes to allow that.

These things we do that others may live.
  • LotusBecca Cal 2012/10/01 13:38:03
    LotusBecca
    +2
    Relax. No one is going to force you to do anything. Not everyone shares your moral beliefs; there's plenty of healthcare providers who do it willingly.
  • Cal LotusBecca 2012/10/01 13:40:30 (edited)
    Cal
    Legalities come into play where beliefs cross in between, and no one wins. Not everyone considers the healthcare provider - the one who has to finish the act and continue to live.
  • askmike Cal 2012/10/01 14:32:59
    askmike
    +1
    Assisted suicide is not what you write. States that have legal medical assisted suicide have taken the healthcare provider out of the picture. Despite your rant, the healthcare provider does not "finish the act and continue to live."
  • Cal askmike 2012/10/01 15:34:27
    Cal
    My "rant" is my opinion Mike, and I thank you for taking the time to share your rant as well. I ask that you respect opinion, and if you cannot please do not respond to my replies. Thank you.
  • askmike Cal 2012/10/01 17:32:57
    askmike
    You are incorrect on a number of issues and I will point out those lapses in truth. Medical personnel in Oregon may opt out of the Death With Dignity Act and decline to prescribe the lethal dose of medicines the patient is permitted to obtain by following the law, but there are no medical personnel present at the time of death. Your scenario of a healthcare provider necessarily present is incorrect.
  • Cal askmike 2012/10/01 20:59:42 (edited)
    Cal
    Your opinion is noted. There are no lapses of truth. I don't know what your problem is. I'm not interested enough to find out.
  • askmike askmike 2012/10/01 22:06:45
    askmike
    +1
    His majesty Cal blocked me. Alas. He is unable to distinguish between an opinion and a fact. It is his opinion that an opinion equals truth. Alas. Cal is ignorant. He is also a coward by blocking me while casting a parting shot at me. What I gave him was truth, not an opinion, but it now my opinion Cal has no spine.
  • LotusBecca askmike 2012/10/01 23:47:40
    LotusBecca
    Well askmike. . .I appreciate your valiant efforts to share the truth on my page here. I agree 100% with everything you are saying. And it doesn't really matter what Cal thinks anyway. The point is to persuade people who are on the fence, not the extreme opposition.
  • cookiemonster 2012/10/01 13:27:37
    cookiemonster
    I don't agree with doing it, but I have n right to stop people from doing it.
  • Risk 2012/10/01 13:07:14
    Risk
    +3
  • Red_Horse 2012/10/01 13:00:33
  • LotusBecca Red_Horse 2012/10/01 13:08:55 (edited)
    LotusBecca
    +1
    According to Franklin, yes. People should have no choice but to endure suffering. It probably builds character or something. It's no good coddling those Stage 4 cancer patients, making them think have choices and stuff.
  • Random 2012/10/01 12:28:08
    Random
    +1
    As long as they are not in any way coerced by someone and can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they do, in fact, wish to end their lives, then they should be able to.
  • askmike Random 2012/10/01 14:43:07
    askmike
    The states that allow medical assisted suicide require advance planning that usually requires weeks of specific steps to obtain a prescription for a lethal dose of medicine and when the patient decides to end his life he alone must swallow the lethal dose; no medical personnel are at his bedside.
  • D D 2012/10/01 12:25:44
    D D
    Absolutely yes!! I am very firm on this.
  • andrew.micheals.353 2012/10/01 11:48:58
    andrew.micheals.353
    +1
    its difficult i know but we are all going to die at some point i guess we just need to let go sometime.
  • The River Rat 2012/10/01 11:09:32
    The River Rat
    +3
    People with painful terminal illnesses should be allowed to die with dignity at a time of their choosing.
  • Franklin The Riv... 2012/10/01 11:58:14
    Franklin
    +1
    who decides ? Is it OK for another to make that decision for you after the fact when you can not speak for yourself Terri Shivo
  • LotusBecca Franklin 2012/10/01 12:04:10
    LotusBecca
    Terri Schiavo is irrelevant to my question. She was not conscious and did not have a living will. The issue of what, if anything, to do with people like her is completely separate from the issue of whether or not terminally ill have the right to end their own lives with dignity.
  • Risk Franklin 2012/10/01 13:08:39
    Risk
    +1
    A living will !
  • askmike Franklin 2012/10/01 14:46:29
    askmike
    States that have medical assisted suicide require advance planning and preparation that usually require weeks to achieve the prescription for a lethal dose of medicine. The patient can request someone to bring the medicine to them but when they consume the dose they must administer the dose themselves orally. Nobody other than the patient makes the decision to obtain the necessary prescription.
  • The Riv... Franklin 2012/10/01 18:34:31
    The River Rat
    Everyone should have a living will. Mine says absolutely no feeding tubes and if they are placed before my living will is presented, they should be removed immediately. My wishes are well known to many people. When I am ready to go, let me go in peace. Don't let the hospital and doctors drain assets which should otherwise go to my kids by keeping me alive for no good reason but their bottom line.

2014/12/19 10:11:13