Should Penn State Remove Paterno's Statue?

Sissy 2012/07/15 12:16:16
It is now just a reminder of the child abuse that happened under his watch.
To remove this statue is simply unthinkable
The words on the wall once inspiring, are now just sad and even disturbing.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach"

In light of the cover-up he helped perpetrate to protect the awesome Penn State football program, (as well as the University itself), there is now a debate that stretches from one coast of this country to the other, that this statue should be removed.

What are your thoughts?

• LindaM 2012/07/15 13:45:52
    LindaM
    +4
    Yes, chop it up and bury it six feet under. It would be a constant reminder of the horrible deeds that happened there, if left.

• Lee The Hybrid Snowflake 2012/07/17 12:41:35
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +1
    He'll never be remebered for the great football at this point, he will always be remembered as the coach that turned his back while children were being abused under his watch. Tear it down!
  • Sissy Lee The... 2012/07/17 12:44:48
    Sissy
    +1
    Not only will he be remembered for the abuse, but you will never hear "Penn State" again without also thinking of where it was allowed to happen.
  • Lee The... Sissy 2012/07/17 12:45:17
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +1
    Absolutely!
  • elijahin24 2012/07/16 16:40:23
    elijahin24
    +1
    I think it's a shame that such a great career as a beacon of all that was good about college football, is forever shamed because of one bad thing he did. But that one bad thing was SO bad, that it can't help but have that effect. I think they need to not only remove the statue; but change everything. They need to get rid of those uniforms, which have been unchanged for a century. Change the logo and the font. Do everything possible, so that a person watching a Penn State game next year, might not even realize that they're watching JoPa's team. It's a lot of history, much of it great; to forget. But I think it's necessary to try.
  • Sissy elijahin24 2012/07/16 17:14:45
    Sissy
    Very thoughtful and well articulated comments. I hadn't thought of doing some of the things you suggest (changing uniforms, logo, font), but they can't change the name of the school, and "Penn State" is what brings all the horrror associated with it, immediately to mind.

Do you believe they should be sanctioned for 1-2 years? I've been hearing that more and more recently.
  • elijahin24 Sissy 2012/07/16 17:24:32
    elijahin24
    +1
    I don't. I understand the desire to, and certainly the administration deserves that punishment and more. But if that happened, the worst of this punishment would hit the players. Especially the seniors. They didn't do anything wrong. They just want to play football. For some of them, this is the last year of football they will ever play. This is a game that they love, and it's a huge part of their identity. To take that away, would be excruciating for them. For others, it's too late to get into the NFL for this season. A season off of the field will destroy their draft status, and cost them $millions. And that's just for the ones who would be high picks. For the ones who would be medium or lower picks, it might cost them their chance to get into the League at all. Tom Brady was the 299th pick. If he had lost his senior season, we would not even know his name.
    And it's not like they can simply go to another school. Even IF the NCAA would wave the mandatory loss of eligibility for one season, which comes with a transfer; opening day is just a few weeks away. They've already missed spring football, and most of summer practice. They would have a VERY limited amount of time to learn the new playbook (which is critical in football, far more than any other sport) and no time at all t...
    And it's not like they can simply go to another school. Even IF the NCAA would wave the mandatory loss of eligibility for one season, which comes with a transfer; opening day is just a few weeks away. They've already missed spring football, and most of summer practice. They would have a VERY limited amount of time to learn the new playbook (which is critical in football, far more than any other sport) and no time at all to climb the depth-chart. If they manage to get on the field, they will not be at their best with a new team, a new playbook,and new teammates.
    I want the guilty to be punished. I'm not willing to sacrifice the innocent to do it.
  • Sissy elijahin24 2012/07/17 12:38:24
    Sissy
    Everyone wants "suffering" regardless of the consequences for the innocents. I think in the hysteria of the aftermath, everyone looks around desperately to punish, punish, punish, especially for something as horrific as this.

But I have to agree with you. These kids just want to play football and should not have to bear the enormous consequences of actions of those who should have known better, morally, ethically and decently. Especially for those who have hopes and dreams for their future.
  • mwg0735 2012/07/16 13:31:13
  • Sissy mwg0735 2012/07/16 13:32:53
    Sissy
    Do you think they might?
  • Southern Man 2012/07/16 12:35:54
    Southern Man
    +1
    Why even ask it should have already been taken down
  • Woots 2012/07/16 07:01:56
    Woots
    Just put a young boy bent over in front of it.
  • Beccy 2012/07/16 00:44:11
    +2
    As a couch it was his duty to protect children
  • Sissy Beccy 2012/07/16 01:28:59
    Sissy
    +2
    As an adult, everyone's duty is to protect our children. Most importantly those who are "charged" with the care of them., including but not limited to teachers, coaches, parents, et al.
  • seattleman 2012/07/16 00:40:58 (edited)
    seattleman
    +3
    I think the statue should be removed. The sooner, the better. statue removed
  • Piper 2012/07/15 20:56:20
    Piper
    +1
    He was guilty of refusing to SEE, it seems. I don't know what taking his statue down would accomplish, really.
  • Kndrk 2012/07/15 20:26:48
    Kndrk
    +2
    It wasn't all his fault, and he was a good football coach... maybe take the quote down though.
  • Sissy Kndrk 2012/07/16 01:32:14
    Sissy
    +1
    Even if he knew what Sandusky was doing and did nothing? Letting him retire and still be around children, silencing the evidence against him? Sorry Kndrk, but Joe has a lot of "fault" in this travesty as does the athletic director, the president and vice-president of the University who sat on their hands and the evidence to protect the program and the university.
  • Artistry 2012/07/15 19:03:34
    Artistry
    +2
    ...Sad to say, but yes. He chose to hide the truth and more children were abused, for the sake of his beloved football. Let the family put it in their back yard.
  • Sissy Artistry 2012/07/15 19:08:28
    Sissy
    +1
    What has been said of very little, is that there was an investigation by the police in 1998. Were they complicit also? I am very curious why even they dropped the ball because there seemed to be plenty of information, or perhaps in thinking about it, all of it was covered up by the school and the authorities had very little if any infromation to go on.
  • ETpro 2012/07/15 15:19:13
    ETpro
    +2
    I don't believe erasing unpleasant facts from history is a good idea.
  • Sissy ETpro 2012/07/15 17:12:52
    Sissy
    That's a good point.

Thank you.
    +1
    It would so much better to close the School for a Decade or so. Let the students go elsewhere
  • Sissy jackola... 2012/07/15 17:15:11 (edited)
    Sissy
    +1
    While I doubt they would close the school, I wonder if they will suspend the team for a year or two? Some might say, "its not the kid's fault and they shouldn't be punished", but regardless, the whole issue is so awful that the football program has been tainted anyway. Maybe a break would do them good.

Its a tough call.
  • seattleman Sissy 2012/07/16 00:53:44
    seattleman
    +1
    I think Bob Costas said it well. This morning on Meet the Press, he was talking about the possibility of a suspension and summed up his opinion by saying that if Penn St. is playing football next year, then something's wrong. I agree with Costas about this. I think a one year suspension would be the minimum penalty appropriate in this case.

Close the entire school? *chuckles*
  • Sissy seattleman 2012/07/16 01:32:51
    Sissy
    +1
    Agree.
  • LindaM 2012/07/15 13:45:52
    LindaM
    +4
  • Sissy LindaM 2012/07/15 17:16:28
    Sissy
    +1
    You're hearing that from the once most avid defenders.
  • Pet Rock Whisperer 2012/07/15 13:41:19
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +1
    Either that or change their name to pedophile state.
  • cmdrbnd007 2012/07/15 13:30:55
    cmdrbnd007
    +3
    It turns out the Joe knew and helped cover up for over a decade. How sad that now all anyone will remember about Joe is that he helped a pedophile abuse time and time again. He should have had the guts to call the police and turn this sick fu%k in.
  • Sissy cmdrbnd007 2012/07/15 13:35:54
    Sissy
    +3
    Paterno as well as the other Univ. leaders who also did the same. Did you read where some custodians witnessed some of Sandusky's abuse but feared for their jobs if they dared to report it? That's how powerful that program was.
  • cmdrbnd007 Sissy 2012/07/15 13:48:58
    cmdrbnd007
    +4
    It's a damned disgrace that that was allowed to happen. If Joe hadn't died he would probably be charged.
  • Sissy cmdrbnd007 2012/07/15 17:16:54
    Sissy
    +1
    I agree. He most certainly would have.
  • BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROC... 2012/07/15 13:16:09
    BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROCK-N-R
    +1
    I would just move it on out there is no use to continue the suffering. people can't just bury their opinions in the sand like nothing ever happened. But, there needs to be a healing process from abuse of the worst kind.
  • Sissy BOOGIE-... 2012/07/15 13:19:21
    Sissy
    +1
    You know, when you think about it (and I have a lot), those poor kids were abused by Sandusky and then more so by those who knew what he was doing but covered it up and let him continue. I think that's almost the worst thing of all.
  • BOOGIE-... Sissy 2012/07/15 13:59:41 (edited)
    BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROCK-N-R
    +1
    I have been thinking about this too because I have seen this type of abuse here in my state so, this is not the first time something like this has ever happened. and it seems to be a tradition, that the school, it's athletic programs, and it's funding, Will always take preference over the victims if it was left up to me, I would Break up the statue into little bitty pieces. and auction each one on eBay. and I would appropriate the money to victims. and this is the most peaceful solution I would be able to recommend. but I am really angered that their are people who allow and create serious problems with no solutions. I am more concerned for the victims,
  • Sissy BOOGIE-... 2012/07/15 17:32:44
    Sissy
    +1
    I couldn't agree with you more BOOGIE. But you also know what? Sadly all these people did "know what to do" and in the end they did nothing. You or I might have been yelling from the tree tops if we came across such horrific scenes, but given the culture and climate of not only this school but unfortunately probably way too many others, it was of the lowest of priorities when it came to their athletic program.
  • BOOGIE-... Sissy 2012/07/16 15:51:21
    BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROCK-N-R
    +1
    My friend, I agree with you I don't think they would get by with 100% of their foolishness,
  • Sissy BOOGIE-... 2012/07/16 17:16:33
    Sissy
    +1
    Do we dare hope this MIGHT be a wake-up call? Or is the culture so entrenched, once it dies down, back to the norm?
  • BOOGIE-... Sissy 2012/07/16 17:40:38
    BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROCK-N-R
    +1
    I sincerely hope that this will be a wake up call and a valuable lesson learned that people are far more valuable than the prestige of athletic programs. my friend, I just do not have appreciation for football. when this next season comes up, I will be one of many people who will boycott. I will probably go bowling just at the mention of football. I used to have respect for the game.
  • Gloria 2012/07/15 13:07:09 (edited)
    Gloria
    +3
    Penn State doesn't have to remove Paterno's statue but it will probably be defaced anyway. I wish the entire school doesn't go down the tubes because of dirtballs in sports.

2014/09/19 11:31:36