Should parents who use drugs lose custody of their children?

My Queen 2012/12/17 14:26:39
Related Topics: Drugs, parents, Custody, Drug

• Fallout 2012/12/17 14:41:01 (edited)
    Fallout
    +4
    The OTHER option.

It depends on the drug that the human is addicted to.

If your talking illegal drugs, some prescribed addictions are just as bad
    as street addictions. Alcohol is legal and has a reputation of destroying
    many lives, but can be consumed responsibly.

The parent that smokes a joint at the end of a long day is no different
    in my opinion than the parent that has a few drinks to relax.

I do not advocate the use of drugs. Lungs were not made for any type
    of smoke and smoking will shorten your life expectancy.

It should be illegal for parents to smoke anything around kids or in cars
    and homes with kids.

• TidBit 2013/01/30 02:14:46
    TidBit
    my stepdaughter and her husband are heroin addicts. My stepdaughter is in the hospital right now with boils on her arms from shooting up. If parents do drugs, they will likely never get clean because they will stick together if for no other reason than to find their next "score". My stepdaughter`s drug use has ruined her priorities. She is choosing drugs and her husband over her 2 sons well being (7yr old and 2 yr old). It's painful to see those kids go through that.
  • Anna 2012/12/19 02:11:04
    Anna
    A parent with an overpowering addiction that places their habit before their kids should lose custody. A parent who smokes a joint every now and then after the ids are in bed should be left alone.
  • Denny Boy 2012/12/18 21:41:49
    Denny Boy
    Taking children away from parents is simply wrong. It shatters both the lives of the children and parents, and most parents realise that the drug addiction is not good, and they make sure to not get their children in the same situation as themselves.
  • Wizard_in_Time 2012/12/18 19:12:39
    Wizard_in_Time
    Depends on the 'drug' they use. If it's a consideration that people who use 'drugs' lose custody of their children, then alcohol should surely be considered a drug. There are those parents who are daily users of marijuana, but are good parents who should not lose their children any more than a regular user of Adderall should.
  • User Deactivated 2012/12/18 04:05:27
    User Deactivated
    +1
    If they are irresponsible with their drug use, IE if their drug addiction comes before giving the necessary support and care to their children.
  • Matt 2012/12/18 03:09:04
    Matt
    Drug laws in this country either need to be made a lot more strict, or eliminated... Preferably, eliminated. It is far too costly and no problems have been solved, or even improved upon.

War On Drugs
  • ajracestables1 2012/12/18 02:25:38
    ajracestables1
    Each case needs to be evaluated on an individual bases. All circumstances need to be addressed and the way to proceed should be based on all of that. Such as if there is no abuse or neglect, then no they should not lose their kids, there is no set policy on that that should be set in stone.
  • amy ajraces... 2013/07/30 12:23:18
    amy
    +2
    I think you are absolutely right. I speak from experience as i am a recovering herion addict who has been stable on methadone for many years and very close to being completely medication free. At seventeen i lost my first daughter due to not so much the drug use but the lifestyle you lead because of it e.g stealing, having no routine, money for essentials ect ect. At the time i thought my daughter been taken was wrong, looking back it was exactly right. I am ashamed to say but she was neglected. Not that i didnt love her but my primary aim was to get drugs and she suffered massively due to this.
    At 25 i became pregnant (not planned ) and immediatly got on a methadone programme. Socail services were involved but due to staying away from drugs and basically doing everything social services asked of me me and my partner were fortunate enough for involvement to stop when my daughter was 18month (although my drug worker and other professionals do have to inform socail services if at any time they believe my now two children may be at risk or my lifestyle changes).
    Basically what i am saying is that yes things need to be judged on an indiviual basis. My advice to anyone going thro this is to be honest with your social worker, i had bad experience with my first daughters wirker but can...
    Basically what i am saying is that yes things need to be judged on an indiviual basis. My advice to anyone going thro this is to be honest with your social worker, i had bad experience with my first daughters wirker but can honestly say every worker since has been brilliant. IF YOU ARE READY TO CHANGE AND WANT TO KEEP YOUR CHILDREN BE HONEST TRY HARD AND IT CAN BE ACHIEVED. IT WILL BE HARD CHALLENGING AND SCARY. BUT THAT SMILE OR HUG YOU GET FROM YOUR KIDS IS BETTER THAN ANY DRUG I HAVE EVER TAKEN!!!!
  • ajraces... amy 2013/08/01 01:55:35
    ajracestables1
    That is awesome!! Way to go on cleaning it up. Good luck to you and I will say a prayer for you.
  • rbeas 2012/12/18 01:47:54
    rbeas
    +1
    We have too much irresponsibility being taught in the world as it is.
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2012/12/18 00:22:58
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    The way that government is pushing drugs on us with their health care, are you serious?
  • Lee 2012/12/17 23:55:22
    Lee
    It depends on the drug. I don't consider pot a drug, but it shouldn't be used around or in the same house as a child (go outside when kids are in bed or something),but anything other than that, yes. I've seen what other drugs do to people and their minds, a child shouldn't be around a person that unstable.
  • Jon the Flamer 2012/12/17 23:51:34
    Jon the Flamer
    There are far too many variables to consider. I did meet one mother who was a drug addict, but she did supply for her children.
  • Solomonster 2012/12/17 23:34:43
    Solomonster
    You know how many people would lose their kids?! This is a rediculous question! People are given drugs because they need them. If a person is taking them as perscribed & not driving their kids around while on those drugs. They are not doing anything wrong. Don't be stupid. Damn near everything is looked at as a drug. If you are a single parent & need to take a shot of Nyquil. You shouldn't be afraid to lose your kids.
  • dizziup... Solomon... 2012/12/18 10:46:31
    dizziupthegirl
    Actually it is not such a ridiculous question, this is happening all over the country. All it takes is an unsubstianted allegation of drug use and CPS will come and remove your children and then ask questions later.
  • Huki68 2012/12/17 23:10:28
    Huki68
    They should be taking to jail for having kids period or men and woman that they cannot take care of them and having too many kids, kids are the ones who suffer
  • rustyshackelford 2012/12/17 22:25:50
  • Kurt 2012/12/17 21:54:12
    Kurt
    But as long as they are going by their doctors orders, I don't have a issue either. Its the parents that take drugs illegally are the ones I think they should have their kids taken away and will never get them back or aloud to have future children.
  • roxie 2012/12/17 21:48:11
    roxie
    Spay & neuter
  • Todd Parsons 2012/12/17 20:55:26
    Todd Parsons
    Absolutely.
  • hippycat 2012/12/17 20:04:59
    hippycat
    +1
    it doesn't follow that they are bad parents.
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/12/17 19:40:50
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    +1
    NO WAY, should a person lose their kids based solely on a parents use of legal or illegal drugs. Most kids as well as adults are on some kind of drug. Much more if you admit that sugar is a drug....

So wake up drugs are everywhere, in your bars, pharmacies, and supermarkets. The fact is that I do not condone drug use of any sort, including those toxic poisons that doctors prescribe, which are responsible for a 100,000 deaths a year. I'm not suggesting we make heroin, cocaine or amphetamines available the way we do alcohol and cigarettes.

What am I recommending?
    Drop the "zero tolerance" baloney and the unrealistic goal of a drug free society. Accept that drug use is here to stay, and accept that marijuana is an herb, no different than saffron or st John's wort.

The fact is, there is no drug legalization movement in America. What there is is a political and social movement for drug policy reform. It consists of the growing number of citizens who have been victimized, in one way or another, by the drug war, and who now believe that our current drug policies are doing more harm than good.

What I am talking about is an approach grounded not in the fear, ignorance, and prejudice , but rather one grounded in common sense, compromise and basic human rights. That's true drug policy reform.
  • dizziupthegirl 2012/12/17 18:49:52
    dizziupthegirl
    +1
    If there is no child abuse and or neglect going on and the childrens needs are all being met, then there is no reason why a parent should lose custody. Child Protection services was established to protect children from being hurt physically and mentally. And God knows there are so many kids that need protection. If there is no abuse and or neglect and the childrens needs are met, then CPS should go protect kids that really need the protection and if they really wanna help a parent who may be using, then help them help themselves, and taking away a parents kids under these circumstances it not going to help them, its going to emotionally kill them. What ever happened to family reunification, I do not know, that is not one of CPS's goals anymore.
  • Aksana 2012/12/17 18:47:46
    Aksana
    yes
  • Matt M 2012/12/17 18:27:17
    Matt  M
    I think it's a matter of degree. A completely dsyfuntional method addict? Yeah, sure.

A moron who smokes an occasional joint? Not good, but not warranting removal. There are all sort of idiot behavior by parents that you can't practically prompt intervention.
  • Bastion 2012/12/17 18:24:27 (edited)
    Bastion
    Valium? Viagra? Alcohol? Tobacco? Heroin? Coffee? drinking smoking father
  • Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of ... 2012/12/17 18:23:37
    Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of PHAET
    +1
    You can't just lump it all together like that. If a parent is abusing to the point where it affects their ability to raise a child, or if they're using hard drugs around their kids, then it probably should be assessed. But even then, loss of custody is the last resort. That's why there are rehabilitation centres, support groups, counsellors and many other people/organisations that can help drug users.
  • sbtbill 2012/12/17 18:03:23
    sbtbill
    +2
    Not unless you include alchole as a drug.
  • ManBearPig 2012/12/17 18:01:25
    ManBearPig
    +3
    by this logic almost all children would be separated from their families.... alcohol is deemed a "drug"
  • Delicious Crab Meat 2012/12/17 17:59:56
    Delicious Crab Meat
    +1
    I know many people that are fine parents but also happen to drink or smoke.
  • john.newell.771 2012/12/17 17:55:50
    john.newell.771
    Absolutely, if getting stoned is more important than their children, the kids would be much better off away from such miscreants.
  • Bronar 2012/12/17 17:47:36
    Bronar
    They should get help. If they can't get off the drugs and show reckless behavior, yes.
    but only the harder stuff like heroin, cocaine, oxycodone, etc.
  • AM 2012/12/17 17:07:46
  • Magical Mushroom 2012/12/17 16:58:42
    Magical Mushroom
    It really depends. Weed is still considered a drug and it harms no one. Some street drugs are just as bad as prescriptions or drinking.
  • Cn2012 2012/12/17 16:47:05
    Cn2012
    +1
    What level of use? Are they abusing or neglecting their kids? Drug use alone does not mean the children are in danger and need to be removed from their homes.
  • Tim Cn2012 2012/12/18 13:11:31
    Tim
    What!?

Those kids would be a disaster in the making! Danger is an understatement.

That home is a factory for elementary school shooters. Those parents must be stopped.
  • Horace 2012/12/17 16:32:50
    Horace
    +1
    Certainly, if you are addicted to drugs than you cannot give the proper time and attention to your children because you are spending so much time feeding your own addiction, you are also probably spending most of your money on your addiction also, it would be better for the child if they were taken away to be raised in a sober home.
  • macbeth 2012/12/17 16:27:29
    macbeth
    +2
    Since you would have to include everyone who uses alcohol it would be practically not feasible.
  • MiniB 2012/12/17 16:25:01
    MiniB
    +2
    I say because your question is too vague. I've seen parents on prescription drugs who are not stable enough to raise children.
    As a recovering pothead (since '04), I raised my kids while smoking. I didn't do it around them and was classified as a functioning drug addict. My kids got everything they needed and had a good childhood. My pot smoking was due to issues I have and as the kids got older, we openly discussed them.
    This is a fine line question, but a good thought provoking one

2014/10/22 03:38:54