Should parents lose custody of super obese kids?

bob 2011/07/13 20:05:39
Related Topics: parents, Obese, Custody
Hay Hay Hay, That's not the american way -- Fat Albert
we need to send to super obese kids to boot camp
I think ....

• Shawna 2011/07/13 20:10:04
    I think ....
    Shawna
    +6
    This would be a difficult issue for finding where to draw the line. Like many people, when I look at obese parents and see they have obese toddlers, I think that surely there has to be some significance in what they are all eating. However, a good friend of mine has a son the same age as my son. He was an enormously fat baby, like a little buddha sitting here all extra chins, whereas my own son was born and remained lean and muscular no matter what he ate. My friends son did not stay fat for very long though and was of normal looking size by the time he was a toddler and went on to be a tall and skinny kid and is now a very tall and very skinny teenager. If he had been taken away from his parents as a baby because of his size it would have been a huge error.

• Brosia 2011/08/12 05:11:43
    I think ....
    Brosia
    There are so many other reasons that people should loose their kids. I think ignoring your kids or treating them like crap should trump feeding them too much.
  • Yoru Azenia 2011/07/29 15:57:43
    I think ....
    Yoru Azenia
    I don't think they should be taken away but they should be put under a watchful eye and penalized for it(the parents)
  • Kasa 2011/07/17 23:57:59
    Kasa
    +1
    Depends entirely. It reminds me of the 500 lb 7 year old girl who couldn't even walk. Her mom said "all parents make mistakes. My just almost cost my child her life." it's that kind of thinking that gets children into such serious trouble. Definetly remove the error and fix the problem.
  • angela 2011/07/15 04:51:48
    I think ....
    angela
    +2
    Great ideas that you all have. Missing the point tho. You cannot abuse kids wich does include not caring about there health. Cant even continue. Sick!
  • schjaz 2011/07/14 17:51:08
    I think ....
    schjaz
    +1
    Its a form of bad parenting thru neglect. Its easy to shove something in a kids mouth to shut them up. They should be penalized somehow.
  • Doc 2011/07/14 17:20:23
    I think ....
    Doc
    +1
    Turning your kid into a blob is its own reward.
  • schjaz Doc 2011/07/14 17:51:58
    schjaz
    +2
    don't you think its a form of child abuse to allow your kid to be superobese?
  • Doc schjaz 2011/07/14 17:57:12 (edited)
    Doc
    +1
    That's a tough one to answer. Ultimitely, the basis for procreation is to keep one's DNA going.
    So do we let natural selection happen, or do we dilute the gene pool?
    It's definitely abuse if the parent froces the kid to eat, but spoiling a child is not abuse, or parents would be penalized for not teaching their kids how to be self-reliant.
  • schjaz Doc 2011/07/14 18:28:36
    schjaz
    +2
    thats where we differ....right there, my friend. spoiling a child IS a form of abuse. look at the word itself...spoiled...means its no good anymore. to purposely do that to a forming human being is sinful and should be against the law.
  • Doc schjaz 2011/07/14 18:34:16
    Doc
    +1
    By that logic, rasing a child to be a welfare recipient should be illegal as child abuse as well.

I totally agree with you, it is sinful and wrong, but I don't believe my opinion should necessarily be law. I'm more a person who believes in self-reliance. Succeed or fail.
  • schjaz Doc 2011/07/14 19:00:15
    schjaz
    +1
    a child mad superobese is given a noose by the parents. try to succeed with that. its unnecessary pain the parents are inflicting on their own children.
    a child raised on welfare has a disadvantage but this country affords opportunities.
    a physical handicap that was avoidable is like an assault.
  • Doc schjaz 2011/07/14 19:04:34
    Doc
    I absolutly agree. But following that to a logical conclusion, if the Gov can take your kids because they are fat, then they can take them away for other reasons, as determined by the gov. Like if your kid doesn't get good enough grades, then the parents aren't helping them get the right study habits, and the gov takes them away. If your kid takes up smoking at 14, the gov takes your kids. Anything that the gov deems is bad, becomes a reason to take the kid away.
    The problem is, you won't get to decide what's good and bad for kids, the gov does.
  • schjaz Doc 2011/07/15 18:59:26
    schjaz
    if a child doesnt get good enough grades, it does not necessarily follow that there is parental abuse nor neglect involved. i don't see a slippery slope here.
  • Doc schjaz 2011/07/15 20:09:07
    Doc
    +1
    Maybe not on that one, but the gov sure has had a big hand on education and what's being taught and how it is measured
  • schjaz Doc 2011/07/16 14:35:25
  • Autumn 2011/07/14 15:31:36
    I think ....
    Autumn
    +2
    if they are like this one Mother who said she didn't care what food did to her baby she was going to let him eat anything he wanted, This little boy wasn't even 2 years old and he weighed almost 300 pounds. Mothers like this should lose Custody.
  • schjaz Autumn 2011/07/14 17:52:26
    schjaz
    +2
    i have to agree with that.
  • Doc schjaz 2011/07/15 20:09:21
    Doc
    me too.
  • Rebecca 2011/07/14 03:52:35
    I think ....
    Rebecca
    i dont know. its the parents' fault but i really not sure
  • schjaz Rebecca 2011/07/14 17:52:47
    schjaz
    Super obese is a parents' fault.
  • ParkMan 2011/07/14 03:03:45
    I think ....
    ParkMan
    I'm all for protecting kids. But, I think we have to remember that we really don't want to have a state running around making decisions like this for us.

Now it's obesity, but who's to say that in 10-15 years it doesn't become a fine for having a child be 10 pounds over weight?

I think this is a box better left unopened.
  • Angel 2011/07/14 02:47:27
    I think ....
    Angel
    That the children and parents should attend some kind of health center. The parents don't deserve to lose their kids. They need to be educated.
  • ErynnClover 2011/07/14 02:37:44
    I think ....
    ErynnClover
    we need to take the money spent on foster care and medicaid and teach the family how to eat BETTER. to take them to therapy because most fat kids are brought up by fat adults *lead by example*
  • Bigbrow... ErynnCl... 2011/07/14 13:44:08
    Bigbrowneyes
    I think there must be another solution than this...I think most people know exactly the things they're supposed to eat; they just don't want to. People are free by law to eat whatever and however much food they want to...I just feel like people naturally have this communist urge to promote conformity, but it clashes with our American ways, so we're left torn between the two with questions like this...but lol I digress.
  • ErynnCl... Bigbrow... 2011/07/14 17:17:47
    ErynnClover
    yes BUT children having such high BMI index is not about vanity and how they look, its about protecting them from heart disease, strokes, diabetes, sleep apnea etc! these are kids that need help, and they may not know that pizza isn't good for them or chicken nuggets from mickie-d's isn't what he or she should be eating, if mom and dad eat this and eat as much if not more, then the child will fallow by example, until hes in middle school, children naturally fallow mom and dad more than friends. and by then it may be too late, they might already have diabetes and sleep apnea. heck they might die. there needs to be something done. i don't think its communist i think its making it so that parents cant abuse there children and not taking care of them is abuse, to me feeding your kid fast food ever day and letting them sit on there buts playing games or watching tv is abuse, but i don't think ripping the child away is going to magically fix everything. the kids need help, and I think Therapy and making junk food like chips and Twinkies and fatty foods not available to people on food assistance, making these foods higher in price and encouraging eating in, and making veggies and fruits part of a meal. i know sooo many families that forget about the veggie in a meal meat and starch t...

yes BUT children having such high BMI index is not about vanity and how they look, its about protecting them from heart disease, strokes, diabetes, sleep apnea etc! these are kids that need help, and they may not know that pizza isn't good for them or chicken nuggets from mickie-d's isn't what he or she should be eating, if mom and dad eat this and eat as much if not more, then the child will fallow by example, until hes in middle school, children naturally fallow mom and dad more than friends. and by then it may be too late, they might already have diabetes and sleep apnea. heck they might die. there needs to be something done. i don't think its communist i think its making it so that parents cant abuse there children and not taking care of them is abuse, to me feeding your kid fast food ever day and letting them sit on there buts playing games or watching tv is abuse, but i don't think ripping the child away is going to magically fix everything. the kids need help, and I think Therapy and making junk food like chips and Twinkies and fatty foods not available to people on food assistance, making these foods higher in price and encouraging eating in, and making veggies and fruits part of a meal. i know sooo many families that forget about the veggie in a meal meat and starch that's all they eat. I had a friend growing up who lived with her dad and he did not cook, he bought fast food every night for dinner and made them eat school lunches, shes 300 Plus pounds now, and still lives that life style (apart from school lunches).

school lunches also need to be healthy, not frozen sodium packed fatty foods!
  • Bigbrow... ErynnCl... 2011/07/14 20:25:38
    Bigbrowneyes
    Oh I know about the school lunches... :p I wish I had an influence on that, and that's why I'm majoring in communications, so I can be a media influence to people.
    But let me clarify what I meant by "people". Sorry. I meant the adults. I think every adult knows exactly what he/she is eating and whether or not it's good for you. Children can't follow therapy if their parents don't support it, since afterall, parents are their biggest influence. It might work for a few families but as long as the governement is wasting so much money on things a lot of us don't agree with, and tend not to support new things that they think have a high risk of failure, I doubt we'd ever know...
    I think in the end a law being passed about the legality of obese children would be more likely, regardless of whether it's the right thing to do or not. :-/
  • draconiaregina 2011/07/14 00:57:41
    I think ....
    draconiaregina
    It's true that kids are getting bigger, but it's not a one size fits all situation,Some parents are afraid for whatever reason to let their kids go out and just play, Some kids might be taking medication that a)"keeps them calm and managable" so they are more inclined to just sit there and watch tv or play video games, and b)medication side affects include weight gain. And then there is the genetic factor, when i was a kid I could walk a few miles every day or so and even on only 2 meals a day couldn't loose weight, and my Mom, Grandmother and Great Aunt were all like that, plus the fact hoarding calories is hardwired into our bodies and it has been only in the past 75-100 years that average work has gone from actual hard work and labor to white collar office jobs and to top it all off, has anyone seen how much the healthy food costs?
  • Kat 2011/07/14 00:23:09
    I think ....
    Kat
    +1
    That even though being overweight has a very negative effect on the person, its none of anyone's business and certainly not the governments. Don't you think they get into enough already?
  • Denny 2011/07/13 23:59:34
    Denny
    The Womb to the Tomb police led by Michelle don't have all the answers and if it is a sickness then of course you want tax payers to pay for treatment.;
  • Sandy 2011/07/13 23:50:44
    Sandy
    We pay for welfare... why not boot camps for fat kids..
  • sky blue pink - American 2011/07/13 23:41:35
    I think ....
    sky blue pink - American
    All Schools should re-enstate recess, so these children can burn off some calories and get some much need excersize.
    Have a good one !
  • DFA 2011/07/13 23:36:42
    DFA
    There's a GOOD chance that the parent is also incredibly obese. Good luck pulling that kid out of their gravitational pull...
  • Redskin 2011/07/13 23:36:30
    I think ....
    Redskin
  • katie 2011/07/13 22:41:57
    katie
    +1
    No, this does not inspire self esteem at all. Should we maybe help our kids lose weight? yes, but this should happen in a loving way. Most kids learn by example, so if a child were to see their parent working out chances are they would want to join in. Take your child on a walk, limit the video game time, eat healthy, and most importantly, love them.
  • Guitarman43 2011/07/13 22:32:28
    I think ....
    Guitarman43
    +2
    the government and "holier than thou" people need to stay out of our personal lives....
  • Gib 2011/07/13 22:08:22
    I think ....
    Gib
    They should be taken away from the irrisppnsable parents who did not make sure their child was eating the propped proportions...
  • BlueEyes<3 2011/07/13 21:42:58
    BlueEyes<3
    LET FAT PEOPLE BE FAT, THERE NOT HURTING YOU!!!!
  • mewycg 2011/07/13 21:41:29 (edited)
    I think ....
    mewycg
    Maybe for the time it takes to get the kids slimmed down. But not to take away custody permanently. Or maybe leave the kids at home and work closely with the entire family to put a healtheir system in place.
  • Angela Chambers 2011/07/13 21:39:50
    I think ....
    Angela Chambers
    +1
    Parents should take care of this issue, not the government or state.
  • LukeC 2011/07/13 21:33:11
    LukeC
    Seriously, would you let your kids drink alcohol or smoke weed, because obesity can do a hell of a lot more harm.

2014/11/01 06:17:12