Should parents force kids to go to church if they don't want to go?

homeschool mom-extremist 2009/04/07 19:46:31
Yes, they desperately need the spiritual guidance afforded there.
No, remember that God is in control.  Pray and leave things to Him.
I am truly worried about my teenage son's salvation. He absolutely refuses to come to any church functions. I'm afraid if I force him he'll hate it more.

• RosaLuxemburg 2009/04/09 21:44:41
    RosaLuxemburg
    +12
    Only by going to church and seeing how benighted, ignorant and bigoted believers are will the children understand the dangers to progress and enlightenment from organized theistic religion. I make my children attend both religious services and religious instruction (Sunday school, etc.) as Orthodox Jews for one year, Roman Catholic for one year, Mormon for another, Shiah Muslim for another and Church of God for another. Then I instruct them in different forms of Rationalism, such as Pantheism, Freethought, Humanism, Atheism, Apathetic Agnosticism, Ethical Culture, etc.

• Jessica Juden 2014/05/22 02:51:29
    Jessica Juden
    let him decide his own religion cause may be its no religion cause religion is a bunch of bs
  • alex 2013/04/04 14:21:29
    alex
    No! I am 16 and have been in church my whole life because I did not know anything better. I was so used to it that when I stepped out and realized there was more than believe in a made up fantasy for individuals who are too afraid to admit that when they die, that is it. No everlasting life afterwards and golden streets of enlightment. If you were a true christian you'd go to church, but if you're not, you're not. that's it.
  • Margret Bartkowiak 2013/03/30 17:39:35
    Margret Bartkowiak
    +1
    No. Not because God is in control, but because people should be free to decide for themselves whether they even believe in God. You can't force someone into "salvation". Keep your faith, but keep an open mind as your son discovers for himself what his faith is. Don't try and push him in any direction. Especially if he's a teenager. Just love him and accept him.
  • STARxCOLLECTOR 2012/12/06 03:53:26
    STARxCOLLECTOR
    +1
    Religion is not for children.
  • jab_1286 2012/09/09 05:58:53
    No, remember that God is in control. Pray and leave things to Him.
    jab_1286
    No parents shouldnt force kids to go if they dont want to, I hate it cuz I'm 26 grown man & still living w/ parents they force me to go every sunday I dont care if it's just 1 hr a wk there are some days I just wanna sleep in or didnt feel like going that day than when I do go to church I sometimes find myself fell asleep during service I get bored of listening to preacher that it feels like it's taking long time for it to end but I do believe & worship god who gave me life. another thing that bothers me about church besides being force to go is when parents rush me so fast that makes me forgot some stuff while getting ready for the day
  • jacob.reed.378 2012/06/11 23:13:16
    jacob.reed.378
    +1
    ah! the age old question. Im going to jump right in and say no. People have rights. children are people. Stop worrying about whethjer the invisable man who lives in the sky will give your son shiny things and worry about your own faith. Sure you can talk to him about it, but if he doesn't believe in god then dont force him to go. The constitoin doesn't say "Freedom of religion only if they are 18" God is only real to the person who believes in him. Hes equal to santa claus or the tooth fairy.
  • Cruz Vertentes 2012/05/07 13:59:31
    Cruz Vertentes
    +2
    i dont think u need to go to church to learn about god its only school to learn and have fun but if ur child does not want to go then leave them they will forget about god if u keep forcing them to they evenchlly not want to get up later in life but if u stop they might go here and there.
  • crm089 2012/01/23 23:28:04
    crm089
    +2
    No. My mom forced me to go and that made me dislike going even more. You need to let them decide on their own what they want to do.
  • jess crm089 2013/08/08 15:16:28
    jess
    +3
    I got baptised when I was 8 to the Latter Day Saints church I regret doing it now I'm 15 almost 16 my da always forces me To go if I want to see my boyfriend I hate going what can I do to not go anymore :'( it's made me miserable and he just calls me a spoilt brat
  • Steven8765 2012/01/03 23:22:23
    Steven8765
    +2
    you should be executed for violating your childs basic human rights you sick woman
  • lskj klasfd 2011/11/13 01:50:10
    lskj klasfd
    +2
    If your kid doesn't want to go, you should respect that. I mean, if you force him like my parents are forcing me, one day he'll walk away from it altogether because of bad experiances he had as a kid. Yeah, encourage him, but if he doesn't want to, respect that! You can't force anyone to truely believe something in their heart that they don't believe.
  • kawaiigurl1234 2011/10/10 23:32:33
    kawaiigurl1234
    No they shouldn't nor should they believe that "god" is always there if they don't want to believe that type of stuff they don't have to
  • luis 2011/08/07 02:03:23
    luis
    NO WAY parents should definitly NOT make their children go to church. Im 14 and i have been going to church all of my life but ive finally had it. i love going to church but ive had enough and im getting sick of it and yet my mom is still making me go. And know every day i go i get more unhappy everyday. But the point is its all where your heart is at if you truly and absolutly do want to go to church well then you should not be forced to because this can lead to a major problem. My brother for example was forced to go he finnaly moved out and now he hasnt went in OVER 5 YEARS so if someone is forced to go then when they dont want to he or she will DEFINITLY not go in the future
  • breyandra luis 2011/09/18 08:21:16
    breyandra
    +3
    i totally understand how you feel. i am 16 and I have been going to since I was 5. I used to like it. Buy then I started changing and I felt that i didn't see God do anything for me. An d my mom said that I have to have faith. But the truth is, I want to go out and hangout with friends and go to kickbacks and parties. So I would totally never force my children to go to church if they dont feel any devotion to it.
  • kawaiig... luis 2011/10/10 23:36:46
    kawaiigurl1234
    +1
    Same here i am 13 and my mom is forcing me evry wed. :,( i dnt want to go but i have to you know what i telling her right now i don't want to go. Yeah!!
  • Cruz Ve... kawaiig... 2012/05/07 14:09:19
    Cruz Vertentes
    +2
    i have to show my mom this website im 14 years old u should show her this website
  • Logan Smith 2011/07/11 00:02:45
    Logan Smith
    when harvesting fruit, one waits til the right time to take it off the branch. if you pick it to early, it could tear the entire branch off the tree, as well as destroy the destiny of the other blooming fruits. the branch might never grow fruit again. if to late, the fruit is distasteful, nearly useless.

the fruit of a christian is producing another christian, the fruit of a church produces another church, when christians try to convert people that have hard hearts and arent ripe yet, they will most likely interfere with Gods timing. God doesnt call christians to go pick unripe fruit, the people he wants you to convert are the people he has worked on and softened they're heart, those are the ones he will put in your path.
    you dont need to try and force your kids to be a christian, but if you pray to God and have faith then its going to happen.
  • NicoleLeAnnッ 2010/05/02 23:19:55
    NicoleLeAnnッ
    +4
    You Shouldn't Force Someone To Go To Church If They Don't Want To Its Not Rite my Mom Does That To Me And I Hate It I'm Like Because If You Like To Go Don't Mean I Do So Stop Forcing Me...
  • tos 2010/04/10 19:11:08
    tos
    +1
    I'm a 24 year old man who still lives at home. I am forced to go to church twice a month with my mom. I hate it. I dont belive in God (not saying that there isnt one, just that I don't believe in him), my mom knows this and still forces me to go to church. I don't listen to the sermons so it's a waste of time for me. At first I just didnt like church, but now I hate it. If you trully believe your child needs God, back off on the church thing a little bit
  • Evemark1 2010/04/06 22:14:28
    Evemark1
    +4
    Look there is only 1 faith 1 god and 1 baptism.....Remember u don't savee jesus do....Just pray for him that is all you can do.....ask him nicely and if he say no...then he says no....but don't give up on him....keep asking him.....Matthew 19:14....I am 12 and i hate being forced to church....but i still love god/jesus....i hope i gave you some good advice....
  • JoC13 2010/03/08 07:18:08
    JoC13
    +1
    Your son should have the choice. No matter what you believe in, let your kid have their own choices. I am fourteen and I have to attend RE. Next year I will be comfirmed into the Christian Church, and I absolutly detest religion. Not that I have anything against the worshippers, but it can lead to hate, resentment, and wars. Let your son decide. I would love if my parents let me.
  • Zeke 2009/12/31 02:25:26
    Zeke
    +2
    alright ill end this here.
    i was forced to play the cello for church and for a long time so have both my sisters. it was really never really my interest in it, and ive studied quite a lot about religion, but thinking about your son's point of view, is it really healthy to force him to go even when he doesnt want to? there would be no point. let him decide as i believe it is an area for only him to choose. this would be the wisest choice. forcing him will only cause problems.
  • D 2009/12/30 19:27:10
    D
    +3
    God doesn't exist. Religion is the same as a cult, it just has a better face because so many damn people believe it. There is not one bit of scientific evidence that leads anyone to believe a super-natural power created the universe. The bible is a story book. Do we believe in Superman? No.
  • Cruz Ve... D 2012/05/07 14:11:50
    Cruz Vertentes
    +2
    hey i might be only 14 but dude god is real please he is he sufferd for us i do understand were ur coming from sometimes i dout it but just try and listen to some people
  • ashton ... Cruz Ve... 2014/05/25 15:47:34
    ashton clayton
    +2
    Jesus suffered and died for his own sins not ours
  • thekidflash 2009/11/11 04:28:34
    thekidflash
    +1
    Maybe you should consider asking him why he doesn't want to go and try to justify your own reasoning.

Go do research on your own.
    Can you really rely on Dogma? Would Jesus really want you to force your son to do something he doesn't want to do?

You're an extreme mom so I can't expect that you're all too willing to actually learn anything about anything outside your artificial little faith based illusion, but hey...
  • jeffy 2009/11/10 22:44:43
    jeffy
    its true like back as a kid my brother would tell or dare me to say a word if my parents didnt like it my dad would cut a sliver of soap and have me keep it there till he took it out
  • SM 2009/08/07 14:14:53
    SM
    +3
    Forcing will never ever help. It will just make them stray off the path of goodness and lead them to the path of Satan.
  • thekidf... SM 2009/11/11 04:29:43
    thekidflash
    +2
    Satan doesn't exist. =/
  • Dan SM 2012/04/21 03:47:33
    Dan
    +4
    HAIL SATAN!
  • Zakk 2009/07/12 19:26:17
    Zakk
    You should let your teenage son find what he believes in. Typically when not forced they will decide on their own what is right for them and you have to remember that just because someone is not as devout as the other and may not attend church it does not mean they a drug using booze hounds that enjoy worshiping the devil and listening to death metal while viciously beating a poor bystander.

Also as a teenager there is the possibility that he will rebel against what is forced on him.
  • MikeNassau 2009/04/10 14:35:47
    MikeNassau
    Please send them so they will be alienated and reject the idea of a judgmental paternal god.
  • Harriet Tubman 2009/04/10 14:27:40
    Harriet Tubman
    +3
    Forcing him to go will incite rebellion and rejection. Give an alternative like writing an essay on a religious or ethical subject. If you have internet or an encyclopedia, this will keep him busy with something which helps develop his brain.
  • Dan Harriet... 2012/04/21 03:50:39
    Dan
    +1
    Yeah, because kids LOVE essays...
  • No, remember that God is in control. Pray and leave things to Him.
    мυzιк.jυηкιε™ [ιη мy вιтcнεs ι тяυsт!]
    +5
    (if u r a christian)
    n the bible some fucking where
    it says u shouldn't force ur opinions
    on others. my mother forced me to
    go to church, to try to fit n with the
    other cliche families, it was a disaster
    becuz i have no religious views at all,
    i really disliked her for a while for it
  • homesch... мυzιк.j... 2009/04/10 04:32:23
    homeschool mom-extremist
    +1
    Actually, the Bible says to bring children up in the training and instruction of the Lord. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I think your mother was doing what she felt was right.
  • мυzιк.j... homesch... 2009/04/10 04:35:49
    мυzιк.jυηкιε™ [ιη мy вιтcнεs ι тяυsт!]
    +4
    well she FORCED it and i was
    old enough to decide what i
    believed
  • homesch... мυzιк.j... 2009/04/10 04:39:11
    homeschool mom-extremist
    +2
    That's why I asked this question. I wasn't sure what to do with my son, so I appreciate your input. son input
  • мυzιк.j... homesch... 2009/04/10 04:42:19
    мυzιк.jυηкιε™ [ιη мy вιтcнεs ι тяυsт!]
    +1
    ur welcome :)
  • Aurora ... мυzιк.j... 2011/06/12 17:06:33
    Aurora Easbee
    +5
    you should feel special you got a shiney thank you

2014/10/23 09:32:45