Should parents be punished for spanking there children?

Free American~~Live FREE or DIE~~ 2008/11/24 18:13:34
We all have heard that we are not allowed to spank our children. My kindergartner came home from school and told me what he learned in class. He said the teacher taught them that they can not be spanked. If they do receive a spanking from a parent they should call 911 for help, as this is abuse.
Just wondering what you all think?

• finalflicker 2008/12/04 01:48:14
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    finalflicker
    +4
    parents should be spanked for not disciplining their children...if you don't want to spank them come up with something as effective....but "normal" spanking is not abuse....just ask my behind.

• John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/12/11 05:30:24
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    kids that believe that often end up in foster care...
  • Eddie 2012/12/11 01:08:12
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    Eddie
    There is a difference between corporal punishment and abuse. If you don't know the difference then you have a lot to do with the problem and it wouldn't do any good for me to take the time it would take to explain it to you.
  • Judy Brown 2010/07/24 13:23:22
    Judy Brown
    +1
    First thing I would do is contact the teacher and find out what this is all about. The short answer is...Yes it is illegal for teachers to spank their students. It is not illegal (in almost all states)for schools to use corporal punishment as an extreme and last resort if they so choose to (however, this is hardly ever done. Most school districts choose to opt out of using this form of discipline) It is however illegal for a teacher to spank their student. Another administrator has to do it (vice principal, principal, etc.) and it has to be done in front of a witness and never in front of students. Now for a teacher to tell their students that their parents can't spank them is missinformation and absolutely incorrect. Virtually all of the states allow for corporal punishment. Of course none of the states allow for child abuse (extreme corporal punishment, kicking, biting, hitting in the face, etc.). Now it may be this teacher's oppinion that parents, schools, etc. should never spank a child but that teacher has no right to convey their personal oppinion as if it were law. And they certainly do not have the right to speak of parents who choose to use corporal punishment responsibily as if they were criminals. Get the facts. Children have a wonderful way of of picking out just the words they want to use to suit their own needs. Especially when they are trying to get out of getting a spanking.
  • spankedcp 2009/11/05 11:42:05
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    spankedcp
    Spanking is discipline, not abuse and it is ridiculous to even consider punishing parents or anyone for that matter (including teachers) for spanking.
  • JCD aka "biz" 2009/11/01 08:37:12
    Yes, it is abuse, this is why....
    JCD aka "biz"
    Spanking a child occasionally with an open hand can somtimes be justified, especially if he or she has done sth dangerous. Hitting them with a paddle, apparently a very popular implement in your country, or with a belt, is child abuse. Spanking a child should not be done in public, only exception in the presence ot another child (+ his/her mother) if this child has been beaten by your son or daughter. And I'm not even sure about that.
  • MoonBunny 2009/09/17 07:44:20
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    MoonBunny
    +1
    that's total BS! Spankings is sometimes the ONLY way to teach an unruly child to behave themselves. I was spanked and i turned out just fine. Kids now aren't spanked cuz its "child abuse" and i wonder who's running the house because the kids are out of control and absolute terrors!
  • PDeverit 2009/08/02 12:26:42
    Yes, it is abuse, this is why....
    PDeverit
    Parents should not be punished, no jail time, only support and education (like in so many other countries).

Child buttock-battering for the purpose of gaining compliance is nothing more than an inherited bad habit.

Its a good idea for people to take a look at what they are doing, and learn how to DISCIPLINE instead of hit.

I think the reason why television shows like "Supernanny" and "Dr. Phil" are so popular is because that is just what many (not all) people are trying to do.

There are several reasons why child buttock-battering isn't a good idea. Here are some good, quick reads recommended by professionals:

Plain Talk About Spanking
    by Jordan Riak

The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children
    by Tom Johnson

NO VITAL ORGANS THERE, So They Say
    by Lesli Taylor M.D., and Adah Maurer Ph.D.

Most compelling of all reasons to abandon this worst of all bad
    habits is the fact that buttock-battering can be unintentional sexual abuse for some children. There is an abundance of educational literature, testimonies, documentation, etc available on the subject that can easily be found by doing a little research on the topic.

Just a handful of those helping to raise awareness of why child buttock-battering isn't a good idea:

American Academy of Pediatrics
    American Academy of Child and Adol...

'

'

Plain Talk About Spanking
    by Jordan Riak

The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children
    by Tom Johnson

NO VITAL ORGANS THERE, So They Say

American Academy of Pediatrics
    American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
    Center For Effective Discipline
    PsycHealth Ltd Behavioral Health Professionals
    Churches' Network For Non-Violence
    Nobel Peace Prize Recipient Archbishop Desmond Tutu
    Parenting In Jesus' Footsteps
    Global Initiative To End All Corporal Punishment of Children
    United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child

Countries where child buttock-battering is prohibited by law:
    Sweden, Finland, Norway, Austria, Cyprus, Italy, Denmark, Lativa, Croatia, Bulgaria, Germany, Israel, Iceland, Ukraine, Romania, Hungary, Greece, Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Uruguay, Venezuela, Chile, Spain, Costa Rica, Republic of Moldova, and more in process.
    In fact, the US was the only UN member that did not sign the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
  • Hayley 2009/06/27 20:38:23
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    Hayley
    +3
    A spanking is not abuse. A beating is another story. I had one child that responded to spankings very well. I had one child you could have spanked all day and would have only made her more disrespectful or disobediant. Each child and each situation is different. If it works and is done properly, it is a very effective learning tool. But not all children respond in the manner we would like from them. But no, I do not believe if a child is spanked on the bottom for a serious infraction of the rules needed to raise a moral, ethical, respectful child, that it constitutes abuse. I would guess that kindergarden teacher doesn't have children, or just has one and they aren't very old...LOL.
  • Charlie 2009/06/27 20:08:56
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    Charlie
    +2
    I see nothing wrong with a parent spanking their child.I received a spanking when I was a child.What I have a problem with was when I was in school and the teachers spanked the children.I don't know if they are allowed to do this now but they shouldn't.It is a parent job to spank the child and not a teachers.
  • Jon 2009/06/03 22:15:53
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    Jon
    +2
    parents should actually be punished for not doing it.
    Spanking is proper, effective last resort method of rightful, necessary discipilne, when done correctly and the proper time.
  • dpm extremist 2009/03/30 22:53:19
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    dpm extremist
    +2
    this is just an example of why there are so much problems in school today! Parents hands are tied to rear their children and the school can't do anything but send them home.
    children that are house broke at a young age (when they start doing wrong) and aren't allowed to be wild untill they are 2 or 3 do better in life. I'm a firm beleaver in spankings! Ask my children, do it right the first time, and maybe every 3 yrs. they needed a reminder.
    The one that was raised by my way was never in trouble in school and a productive person today. The one that was raised his mom's way, (time out and tounge lashings) well trouble was his middle name. He wokeup one day and is doing ok now but it took him 5 yrs. longer to get a degree.
  • Rick Wooten 2009/03/07 02:10:09 (edited)
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    Rick Wooten
    +2
    When done correctly and the child has earned the spanking it works very well, much better than time outs or sending them to their room. You must set down rules that will earn the child a spanking and you must go over the rules with the child and make sure he or she knows and understands the rules. No hair brush, paddle, or belt, just your open hand on their bare bottom.
  • leolo 2008/12/25 19:15:45
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    leolo
    +1
    in the states is a normal spanking at home allowed...and this is good!!! abuse normal spanking home allowed
  • tank 2008/12/16 22:02:56
    Yes, it is abuse, this is why....
    tank
    +1
    it promotes violence and leaves emotional or even physical scars i am a 13 year old who started getting belt spankings a year or two ago, and since then i have gotten into more trouble than ever
  • Free Am... tank 2008/12/17 18:39:52
    Free American~~Live FREE or DIE~~
    +2
    I'm sorry to hear your parents do that, my mother did that to me also, I know how you feel. I have never advocated hitting a child with an object, ever. The only thing your parents will end up teaching you is how to hit back, at least that is the lesson my mother taught me. It was not long after the beatings started that I learned to hit back. I got fed up with being beaten.
  • dpm ext... tank 2009/03/30 22:56:27
    dpm extremist
    I'm sorry that it took them 11 yrs to decide to spank you, that was to late. By 3 or 4 you should have known right from wrong and knew what happened to you if you broke the rules.
  • finalflicker 2008/12/04 01:48:14
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    finalflicker
    +4
  • sdahn 2008/11/25 17:55:55
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    sdahn
    +3
    If it's not done out of anger and only out of love to teach the child a lesson. Hitting out of anger is dangerous and if you feel you get angry then choose not to hit alltogether
  • SnaekySnap 2008/11/25 07:28:36
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    SnaekySnap
    +2
    As many have said, there's a big difference between a spanking and child abuse.
  • Self - Deactivation. 2008/11/25 06:56:45
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    Self - Deactivation.
    +3
    there is a vast difference between a spanking and child abuse. comments like that take away from the authority of a parent.kids have no fear and therefore no respect these days. i wonder if the teachers who have been beat, thrown down stairs and threatened , regret this no spanking policy .
  • Marty9957 2008/11/25 01:12:01
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    Marty9957
    +2
    Not abuse, however I do think that teacheer needs a spanking.
  • dobemom 2008/11/24 21:11:10
    dobemom
    +2
    When I was growing up we were spanked in school---I think that parents should be able to spank their kids (within reason)...I really believe that the lack of spanking is why we have so many screwed up and disrespectful kids now!
  • Free Am... dobemom 2008/11/24 21:40:50
    Free American~~Live FREE or DIE~~
    You hit the nail on the head!!
  • SnaekySnap dobemom 2008/11/25 07:38:09
    SnaekySnap
    +2
    I totally agree. I know a lady with a wild child that acts like he runs the household. She told me she's afraid to do anything to the kid because he tells her if she ever hits him he'll turn her in for child abuse. Personally if it were my child I would tore his butt up then and let him know that if he did turn me in for child abuse he better make sure they have a place for him to stay. And yes, if I got in trouble for spanking him I would tell the state to keep him. If I can't spank my child for doing wrong the state can raise him/her. I think they have gone overboard with these child abuse laws.
  • Free Am... SnaekySnap 2008/11/25 18:11:00
    Free American~~Live FREE or DIE~~
    +2
    Way overboard!! Personally, if that was my kid, I would spank him and them let him have the phone. Let him/her call the police.
    That is what I told my son when he said his teacher said it was child abuse for me or his father to spank him. I told him then next time he deserves a spanking, he is welcome to call the police. I then explained to him that it is a crime to make false accusations.
  • Rick Wo... dobemom 2009/03/07 02:26:35
    Rick Wooten
    Amen, I'll second that. When I was growing up in the 50's we were
    spanked at home and at school and learned to be respectful very fast or
    you did a lot of standing.
  • medarlin~xanax goddess~ 2008/11/24 20:46:38
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    medarlin~xanax goddess~
    +1
    Again, people trying to push their beliefs on other people, and here on children. It is not illegal to spank, only if there is a mark on the child that doesn't go away after 15-20 minutes. Have any of you looked at some of the kids out there today??? Tell me more of them couldn't use a good old fashioned spanking.

(I am not talking about beatings, using a belt or any thing like that here! Thank you!)
  • Free Am... medarli... 2008/11/25 18:12:18
    Free American~~Live FREE or DIE~~
    +1
    I work with the public, and there have been many kids that were not mine that I wanted to spank them, then spank there parents for being ineffective in there duties.
  • medarli... Free Am... 2008/11/25 19:11:50
    medarlin~xanax goddess~
    +1
    I spend a lot of time at my kids schools, and I'll tell ya, we don't pay teachers near enough for the BS and disrespect they put up with.
  • Free Am... medarli... 2008/12/17 18:33:09
    Free American~~Live FREE or DIE~~
    +1
    Sorry to say, that is the fault of the parents of those children. If parents will not teach there kids right from wrong, and correct them when they do something wrong, how will the child learn? If there is never a consequence for bad behavior, then everything is acceptable. Complete and total disrespect of everyone and everything around them.
  • medarli... Free Am... 2008/12/17 18:38:00
    medarlin~xanax goddess~
    +1
    and sometimes a "time out" does absolutely nothing for the child, IF you can get them to stay in time out
  • Free Am... medarli... 2008/12/17 18:43:50
    Free American~~Live FREE or DIE~~
    +1
    the only way to do that is tie them down!!!! Children do not stay on there own!! A spanking does go along way in learning a lesson for something they never should have done.
    A time out for my oldest does nothing.

Ps. Just joking about the tying them down, I do not do that, even when I really want to!!!
  • medarli... Free Am... 2008/12/17 19:21:53
    medarlin~xanax goddess~
    +1
    with my son, I found out a swat was the only way to get his attention and let him know I'm serious about taking time to think about what he's done. we use time outs as a time to think on top of the punishment. he's 12 now, haven't had to do that in a very long time.

I think a big problem today is with both parents working, it's not just a lack of supervision but the parents feel guilty about neglecting their kids so they give into the kids to make them happy. schools and daycares are so limited as to what they can do with the children, so the kids aren't getting any structure anywhere. and then we're surprised that the crime rate is going up? because these kids are turning into adults who have had no accountability in their lives.
  • Turtle 2008/11/24 19:28:49
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    Turtle
    +1
    Any parent has the right to control their children if it is necessary naturally in decent manner which means not to injure or kill. I was controlled by my parents and I can't picture if my parents would be calling 911 or some freaking social services for help. The establishment is trying to have control over our lives and ruling what we can/can't do which is socialistic and communist garbage and we don't want this crap in our country. If you read the "Communist Manifesto" at: http://www.geocities.com/Hear... you'll understand what we have today in our beloved country even it was established as a Republic which was protecting individual rights. Now we can't decide for our self and let some authorities to decide for us. We allowed to come to our country small groups of Marxist/Leninist ideas in an incremental steps that very a few of people noticed while the rest was preoccupied by watching sports and now they are ruling us.
  • Ace~Mr.Giantess~ 2008/11/24 19:23:46
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    Ace~Mr.Giantess~
    How else are you supposed to get bad children to behave.
  • steph 2008/11/24 19:15:17
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    steph
    +1
    other ways should be tried first ... but if it works use it !
  • ghosst00 2008/11/24 18:48:38
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    ghosst00
    +1
    Parents are held responsible for their children until the age of 18, therefore should be able to parent said children in the manner they see fit.

Thats not to say they have the right to abuse their kids, but IMO, a spanking is not abuse, a beating is.
  • ~Cant wait to be Mrs. Seay~ 2008/11/24 18:42:27
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    ~Cant wait to be Mrs. Seay~
    +1
    Children need to be corrected. Spankings work. There is a HUGE difference in spanking and beating.
  • Tracy 2008/11/24 18:34:22
    No it is not abuse, this is why.....
    Tracy
    +2
    And I'd have a talk to that teacher!!
  • done with SH 2008/11/24 18:33:16
    done with SH
    +2
    cool!! please come hand-cuff me and throw me in jail, feed me food that I don't have to cook and watch TV that I don't have to pay monthly service for!
    I'll turn myself in!

2014/10/02 08:31:34