Should Obama meet Castro?

Daveman 2008/11/26 17:21:59
NO
HAVANA, Nov 26 (Reuters) - Cuban President Raul Castro is open to meeting U.S. President-elect Barack Obama on neutral ground to try to resolve the island's four-decade-old feud with Washington, according to an interview with a U.S. magazine.

The interview for The Nation was conducted by U.S. actor Sean Penn, who traveled to Havana after meeting Cuban ally Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and before Obama won the U.S. presidential election on Nov. 4.

"You asked if I would accept to meet with (Obama) in Washington. I would have to think about it. I would discuss it with all my comrades in the leadership," Castro tells Penn in the interview for a Dec. 15 issue published on its website.

"Personally, I think it would not be fair that I be the first to visit, because it is always the Latin American presidents who go to the United States first. But it would also be unfair to expect the president of the United States to come to Cuba. We should meet in a neutral place."

Obama has said he will reverse the Bush administration's policies that restricted Cuban Americans visiting Cuba and sending cash to their families there. He is willing to talk to Castro but would keep the 46-year-old trade embargo as leverage to influence democratic changes in the one-party state.

"Perhaps we could meet at Guantanamo," Castro says, referring to the bay where the U.S. maintains a naval base, which Cuba considers a violation of its sovereignty.

"We must meet and begin to solve our problems, and at the end of the meeting, we could give the president a gift ... we could send him home with the American flag that waves over Guantanamo Bay." (Reporting by Patrick Markey, editing by Anthony Boadle)
http://www.reuters.com/article/vcCandidateFeed2/idUSN26341185...

• Geohead 2009/01/29 21:56:38
    NO
    Geohead
    +2
    Should he...no, not in my opinion, will he? Most likely. He gave his first interview to the Arabs, of course he will set down with Castro and strike a deal of some sort....the sheeple will call it HISTORIC!
  • nina 2009/01/28 21:55:12
    NO
    nina
    +1
    HELL NO! I thought standing strong against communism and the oppression of the people of Cuba, Venezuela, and other countries was what the Us was all about. Is it now to sell the US off to the mentally insane? What will the US promise these thugs who kill their own people for greed and power. These people do not care anything about the people of their countries. Unless you yourself have family in this type of position who live in countries such as this and who can not come to the US which is only 90 miles away(Cuba) to see family who they have not seen in 50 yrs. and who die not ever seeing their families not to mention that Castro and his brother have no good intentions for the US.
    This man has killed his own family members and Raul was and is just like Sadam Husseins sons' in that he killed and liked killing for his brother. I see no difference in Sadam and Castro or that Castro want to be Chavez. This administration is headed for disaster in trying to work some deal out with these NUTS.

As all dictators they are the ones with all the money,food, supplies ect. while their people are starving. Bye the way, it angers me to see that for several years now in the US some of these people have t-shirts,ect. of Che Guevara or you can see him on store walls and such, ...

As all dictators they are the ones with all the money,food, supplies ect. while their people are starving. Bye the way, it angers me to see that for several years now in the US some of these people have t-shirts,ect. of Che Guevara or you can see him on store walls and such, this man was a wealthy man from Argentina who idolized Castro as they both went up the ladder so to speak of communisim and we have poeple who know nothing about these kind of guys idolizing them.

I beleive Castro had Guevara killed because he was afraid that Guevara would gather more strength than he. Guevara was killed in Bolivia where he had been captured and his hands where cut off and sent to Castro to prove that he was dead. Guevara killed a lot of innocent Cubans with Castro. These people of Cuba have lost everything. These Nuts took everything and anything the people of Cuba owned. They had nothing and they still do not. This is the same way with Venezuela and others. This administration has lost their minds. This will be a country of socialism and communism soon.
  • No More Commies 2009/01/19 06:39:12
    No More Commies
    +1
    These two Communist leaders need to sit down and have a toast to the end of Democracy! Soon they will become old friends.

Partners in crime. The two guys that destroyed Americas economy.

leaders toast democracy friends partners crime guys destroyed americas economy

Clinton forced our companies to compete with 5 cent an hour labor.
    Obama forced our banks to make bad loans.
  • nina No More... 2009/01/28 22:03:43
    nina
    +1
    There names are: Socialism and Communism
  • Daveman nina 2009/01/28 22:04:55
    Daveman
    +1
    i love this one when people ask me about socialism and communism

one of my favorite quotes.

"There is no difference between communism and socialism, except in the means of achieving the same ultimate end: communism proposes to enslave men by force, socialism - by vote. It is merely the difference between murder and suicide." -Ayan Rand-
  • nina Daveman 2009/01/29 16:40:09
    nina
    +1
    True. it was unfortunate that the people of Cuba and others believed in Castro. He lied to them about haveing a better country and the people bought it. Then he turned around after he was voted in and violated their trust in him and this is the result of many countries. What sounds good might not be the best thing. It sounds this way here in the US too. Promises are worthless.
  • SageBrush 2009/01/04 11:28:17
    SageBrush
    +1
    Sean has been a busy little bee hasn't he. Maybe we (FBI) need to ask him what his agenda is. Seems Sean has met with all these leaders of Dictator led countries. Why would he want Obama to meet with Raul Castro? HMMM? Could it be Sean wants to produce a movie titled "Treason Tropicana".
    It will be of no surprise when Obama meets with all his mentors and sages after his inauguration . movie titled treason tropicana surprise obama meets mentors sages inauguration
  • dios 2009/01/04 02:47:35 (edited)
    dios
    +1
    yes we must unite the world not divide it
    we must try to connect with each other even those whose beliefs we dont share
    its a good idea

but bring a load of body quards and secret service men of have them met us on US soil miami maybe if NY is too far for Fidel
    keep the meeting secret
    just in case
    I dont trust the rebulicans or CIA
  • Endless Roads 2008/12/04 22:38:21
    Endless Roads
    IF he does he better HURRY...the man's about DEAD
  • Maj. C. D. Hardy 2008/11/27 00:23:42
    Maj. C. D. Hardy
    +1
    It all depends on what we would stand to gain, but from my admittedly jaded point of view, I don't think that Cuba has very much to off as an incentive for the U.S. to open diplomatic talks.
  • nina Maj. C.... 2009/01/29 17:10:27
    nina
    Bulls eye! that is just it. The US has something to gain from it by means of bussiness rushing in to take over and make money in this country. They have mineral resources, tourism from around the world, just like in 30's and 40's when the country was a hot place to be. there were a lot of businesses in Cuba such as Brown and Root which is now named (KBR) or Halliburton an oilfeild technology company.

Theses greedy people like the film makers are hoping for some action too.
    If they are not there already.
    It would make a good spot for movies and a place for them to go. Its all about money.

The people of Cuba would love to have all this bussiness there. They are very resourceful, determined and bussiness oriented people.
  • klr43{ In God I trust} 2008/11/26 21:46:34
    klr43{ In God I trust}
    +1
    Tough question. I can think of pros and cons for this. I believe talks may be ok but no pacts should be made until the US is certain that the treatment of the Cuban people is righted. I do not know if Raul is better or worse than Fidel so it is a good thing that someone other than me will be making this decision.
  • nina klr43{ ... 2009/01/29 17:21:40
    nina
    +1
    Do not fool yourself, Raul is as bad as his brother Fidel. Yes, he has started to let people have cell phones there to the ones who can afford them. Raul has recently started allowing the native cubans go onto their own beaches where for many years they would be arrested if they were around the beaches that the tourists were. But he is still as bad. These two brothers still have a reward out for a Cuban dissident who has been a thorn in Castro's side for many years.
  • klr43{ ... nina 2009/01/30 00:16:15
    klr43{ In God I trust}
    +1
    This was a long time ago I answered this question, I must have been in a non fighting mood. You make some very good points. I can now say 2 months later with all certainty, that the US should not have any dealings with Cuba unless they change their nasty ways. Thanks!
  • PrettyMini 2008/11/26 21:32:10 (edited)
    NO
    PrettyMini
    +2

obama and castro are both dictator they want to control everybody....i hope congress and senate will keep on eye on OBAMA obama castro dictator hope congress senate eye obama
  • War Eagle 2008/11/26 19:22:40
    NO
    War Eagle
    +2
    But I think he will play footsies with all the despots.
  • Roberto-Pro-America-Anti Obama 2008/11/26 19:18:42
    Roberto-Pro-America-Anti Obama
    +1
    I think this Cuba thing has gone on far too log. Now with the Russians flexing their muscle again in this hemisphere, we should consider it, especially with Fidel now on the sidelines. No harm in talking with properly set preconditions.
  • nina Roberto... 2009/01/29 17:24:48
    nina
    +1
    there is No preconditions in Obama's ideas. You can not talk with irrationally mentally warped minds. Just look at Chavez.
  • Roberto... nina 2009/01/29 21:34:21
    Roberto-Pro-America-Anti Obama
    Preconditions are essential.
  • nina Roberto... 2009/01/29 23:39:17
    nina
    yes, I believe with conditions. But just so you do not misunderstand me, I do not think President Obama will give any conditions to his talks. It will mean nothing to Castro.
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2008/11/26 19:02:02
  • brandon 2008/11/26 18:26:48
    brandon
    +1

to bring economic growth to Cuba & talk to the people
  • Black Republican & Proud 2008/11/26 18:09:22
    NO
    Black Republican & Proud
    +3
    Oh shit! (>_<)
  • Dia 2008/11/26 18:08:22
    NO
    Dia
    +4
    There is nothing good that will come out of this.
  • jjcroknits 2008/11/26 17:54:44 (edited)
    jjcroknits
    +4
    NONONONONO!!!! There's nothing good that will come out of this. Raul and Fidel Castro are tyrants that take pleasure in killing people for the simplest reasons such as carrying a bible as they walk down the street. I know this because I myself am Cuban and that is that exact fate that came before my uncle Julio and my cousins Ernesto and Camilo.

edit: I meant to vote NO!

What people don't understand is that there is no talking with Raul. You think that Fidel was bad? Raul is 10 TIME WORSE!!!

God help us if we start doing business with Raul Castro.
  • Dia jjcroknits 2008/11/26 18:07:50 (edited)
    Dia
    +4
    I know how you feel. My mom and dad were shot in the middle of Havana square because they were talking about leaving Cuba to move to the US. (This was 10 years ago) Cuban cops were walking by them and when they heard what they were talking about they were pushed up against the side wall of a small cafe and shot in the head.

People don't realize that nothing good will come out of this. You can't talk peace and trade negotiations with someone like Raul Castro.
  • jjcroknits Dia 2008/11/26 18:12:19
    jjcroknits
    +4
    Sorry to hear. Do you still have family there? I do. I have 3 aunts and a whole bunch of cousins. My grandfather was taken into the Havana prison about a year ago and died in there only a couple of weeks after. The reason they took him was because he bought a pound of rice more than he was legally allowed.

But damn it...there's no way that 8 people can live through an entire week with only a pound of rice!!!
  • Dia jjcroknits 2008/11/26 18:15:14
    Dia
    +3
    Yes. I have 2 aunts, 3 uncles, and a boat load of cousins back there. Sorry about your grandfather. The same thing sort of happened to my mother's father. He was a pastor in Santi Espiritud and he got taken in and killed because he once preached about peace and freedom.
  • jjcroknits Dia 2008/11/26 18:17:47
    jjcroknits
    +4
    Sorry about your grandfather. I myself am dying to get them out of there. I hate it that they're suffering over there and there's not a thing that I can do about it. And now that Raul is taking over for Fidel...it makes my stomach turn to know that things are only going to get worse.
  • Dia jjcroknits 2008/11/26 18:20:07
    Dia
    +3
    I know how you feel. It just pisses me off when people say that it's not so bad in Cuba. It's like...they don't realize how bad it is. How much our people are suffering.
  • jjcroknits Dia 2008/11/26 18:24:42 (edited)
    jjcroknits
    +3
    I know what you mean.

I had this one guy walk up to me at work, he saw the small Cuban pin I was wearing on my shirt collar, and asked me why do we Cubans make it worse than it really is? I then asked him if he's ever been to Cuba?

He said no and then I told him that I HAVE...and that until the day he goes and takes a walk around the streets of Havana, Santi Espiritud, Santa Clara, or Camaguey then he should keep his mouth shut about things he has no idea about.
  • Dia jjcroknits 2008/11/26 18:26:38
  • jjcroknits Dia 2008/11/26 18:27:05
  • Daveman jjcroknits 2008/11/26 18:59:35
    Daveman
    +1
    thank you both for your insight!
  • jjcroknits Daveman 2008/11/26 19:01:47
    jjcroknits
    +1
    You're welcome, hun. =)
  • Daveman Dia 2008/11/26 18:59:29
    Daveman
    +1
    thank you both for your insight!
  • Dia Daveman 2008/11/26 19:18:33
    Dia
    +2
    You're welcome.
  • nina jjcroknits 2009/01/29 17:34:44
    nina
    +1
    VIVA CUBA! LIBERTAD, LIBERTAD!
  • jjcroknits nina 2009/01/29 18:12:51
    jjcroknits
    Algun dia. Ojala que sea muy pronto.
  • nina jjcroknits 2009/01/29 23:25:22 (edited)
    nina
    Guiza sin los hermanos. Y en nuestro dulce de suenos

2014/08/20 05:00:12