Should Obama be given the power to raise the debt ceiling without Congressional approval?

Tee Quake 2012/12/01 04:46:14
NOOooooooo!!!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING??? But he was not. Today, Obama sent tax cheat, Treasury Secretary, Timmy Geithner, to meet with Senate Minority Leader, Mitch McConnell, with Obama's "demands" to avert the "fiscal curb". Among Obama's ludicrous demands was one giving Obama essentially a blank check to raise the $16+ trillion dollar debt ceiling unilaterally, without Congressional oversight, whenever he felt the need. To his credit, Senator McConnell actually laughed in Geithner's face. Good for the Senator. It's about time Republicans start flexing their considerable power when it comes to reigning in the renegade, deficit spending, Obama. Incidentally, Obama's demands did not set forth one single meaningful spending cut. No wonder he wants the unilateral right to write blank checks.

• PoliticallyIncorrect 2012/12/01 04:47:46
    I think as follows:
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    +11
    I wouldn't trust Obama with the key to the men's room, much less a blank check. He's spending us into bankruptcy per his Alinsky model now.

• eyeballz 2012/12/29 20:59:37
    No way. That is a nonnegotiable Congressional power.
    eyeballz
    +1
    You think we have financial problems now , they would triple if any man had that power for himself !
    I think as follows:
    The national debt fight that takes place every time the congress cannot agree to a balanced budget out of necessity or out of pigheadedness I think that the President should be able to curtail payment to the House and Senate of their salaries and benefits just as we see today 12/30/2012 the failure of the the House and Senate to agree to conduct the business of the people.

Where I take away the carte blanch is that it would be good for only 30 days at a time. and if they didn't come to agreement then it would be good for 60 days. If they still didn't come to agreement after the 60 days then it could be extended for 120 days. As you can see we have covered half a year at that point if they could not come to agreement at that point then they have abdicated their responsibility and the President could then extend it 180 days to cover the rest of the year. The kicker being, that if they failed on that mid point increase it would no longer be in the hands of the Congress and would rest permanently in the hands of the President.

Myself I think my plan solves two problems. It stabilizes the governments bill paying authority and puts the onus directly on congress to do the job of the PEOPLE not the special interest groups.

I could cut over $900 billion out of the budget without ...

I could cut over $900 billion out of the budget without hurting SS/Medicare/Medicade or any of the military retiree benefits and still have a functioning government But the special interests and the payoffs to those special interests would no longer be made.
  • mwg0735 2012/12/29 20:05:07
  • Arizona1950 2012/12/29 19:34:45
    Arizona1950
    but he's been pushing absolute power for himself since he took office ... remember he thinks Americans are too stupid to handle power.
  • Tee Quake Arizona... 2013/01/01 03:48:35
    Tee Quake
    +1
    Obama will outsmart Obama. Leftist's like him ALWAYS do. He's more like a cult figure than a president.
  • Arizona... Tee Quake 2013/01/02 12:45:10
    Arizona1950
    I agree that he is most definitely more like a cult figure than a president, but sadly many cult figures are alive and well today who actually may have died 5 years ago or a generation ago, by the continued adoration of their followers.
  • Tee Quake 2012/12/29 19:30:48
    Tee Quake
    +1
    Why don't we just burn the Constitution instead?
  • Adi Tee Quake 2012/12/29 21:28:51
    Adi
    +1
    Might as well since he doesn't think it applies to him!
  • TidBit 2012/12/29 03:45:10
    TidBit
    he bypasses congress all the time! he thinks he is a dictator. he looooooves executive orders....and the American people seem to be letting him get away with it.
  • stevmackey 2012/12/03 11:30:41
    I think as follows:
    stevmackey
    +1
    Only when he is smoking that stuff. It should only be a pipe dream.
  • flrdsgns 2012/12/02 14:32:00
    flrdsgns
    +1
    No, Congress needs to start working together and doing their job.
  • l 2012/12/02 13:48:09
    l
  • Kara ~~~ American Patriot 2012/12/02 06:31:37
    Kara ~~~ American Patriot
    +1
    Obama can kick his own can down where his sun does not shine....
    Obama kicking a can
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/12/02 04:33:04
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +2
    No way in hell.
  • bigbatboy23 2012/12/02 03:52:17
    I think as follows:
    bigbatboy23
    yes.
  • CWOO10 - PWCM 2012/12/02 02:42:04
    CWOO10 - PWCM
    If this passes, I am off the grid.
  • Todd Parsons 2012/12/02 00:53:12
    Todd Parsons
    +1
    That would be like giving a 7 year old full access to a candy factory
  • calvin236 2012/12/02 00:31:27
    Sure, he's destroying the country anyway, this will just speed our demise.
    calvin236
    He's already doing it.
    +2
    Hell no.
  • The Lib Hater 2012/12/01 17:57:37 (edited)
    The Lib Hater
    +3
    Ya no debt ceiling. Is there anything intellectual about raising the debt ceiling? LOL, he did that on purpose, because he knew if he had to "stop campaigning" come to the table to lay out a plan, well, he couldn't blame the republicans for his socialist tax plan. Now, remember when 0bama said when Bush wanted to raise the debt ceiling the Muslim said that was very unpatriotic? Well, libs, where is your outrage? I don't see it. My point is 0bama knows that the rupublicans are not going to take that deal of handing him a no limit debt ceiling, it's another one of 0bama's tricks to lay the blame on republicans. LOL, they don't even have enough money to fund 0bama's Deathcare, and the taxes they are going to raise on the incomes specified by the tax increase is going to bring in enough money to run the government for one week, meaning they will need EVERYONE to pay more. This 0bama doesn't want to take the blame for it, and by the way, libs why do you think Dictators "0bama" smile? Because they want you to love them, LOL. You libs are going to learn a hard lesson for what you have done. Enjoy. Did any of you libs get a bid in for Glen Becks artwork 'Obama in Pee Pee' or Hope & Pee what ever suits you, LOL.
    glen becks artwork obama pee pee hope pee suits lol
  • Todd~AFCL The Lib... 2012/12/01 22:16:42
    Todd~AFCL
    +2
    For some reason, the ignorant libs seem to think anything Barry does is okay, even if it is 1000 times worse than anything any Republican has done. I guess it really is true that liberalism is a mental disorder.
    I would be happy to bid on a chance to actually put obie in a jar of urine.
  • The Lib... Todd~AFCL 2012/12/29 22:44:33 (edited)
    The Lib Hater
    You know looking back to this date today, shows how right I was on 0bama needing to raise taxes on everyone. I wonder how many bloggers can call em like that. LOL. Fiscal Cliff, here we come.
  • JET 2012/12/01 15:56:39
    JET
    +2
    Absolutely not, even though he sees himself as a ruling monarch. He's become power mad and a little daft at the same time.
  • Bill 2012/12/01 15:53:17
    Bill
    +1
    The Presidents powers are already defined by the Constitution!!!! He is not the king!!!
  • Starman 2012/12/01 15:06:22
    I think as follows:
    Starman
    Unless you want another debacle like the last one where congress causes the US credit rating to be lowered even further.

The debt ceiling is about paying our bills, not about spending more money.
  • Birthpangs 2012/12/01 15:04:33
  • DoxieDad 2012/12/01 14:40:53
    DoxieDad
    NO, the budget of America is the constitutional purvey of Congress.

And what was Ole McConnell's reply to Timmy? A hefty laugh and a You can't be serious!

I am tired of flexing muscles from a bunch of angry old white guys with Low T. Instead of flexing flabby arms and jaws how about sitting down and doing the job the people that in a fit of insanity sent you to Washington to do. The ship is sinking, these idiots are waste deep in water and are arguing over who was at the wheel when the Iceberg appeared.
  • joefj2 2012/12/01 14:32:42
    joefj2
    +1
    Sounds like he is taking lessons from his friends. EGYPTIAN President Mohammed Morsi has granted himself far-reaching powers and immunity from legal oversight, and ordered the retrial of the former dictator Hosni Mubarak over the killing of protesters during the country's revolution.
    In a surprise move, Dr Morsi, the Muslim Brotherhood leader who was instrumental in securing a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, issued a series of measures preventing Egypt's courts challenging any laws or decrees passed since he assumed office in June.
    Mohammed Morsi and Obama Mohammed Morsi and Obama Muslim Brotherhood
  • Christopher Kirchen 2012/12/01 14:30:36
    Christopher Kirchen
    Actually not only that, but Congress shouldn't have that power either. We need to keep a rein on our spending.
  • luigi1- in god we trust 2012/12/01 14:29:15
    luigi1- in god we trust
    +2
    The Democrats had a blank cheque for two years when they controlled both Houses & Speaker of the House. They still blew it.
  • john.newell.771 2012/12/01 14:05:22
    john.newell.771
    +1
    But they will gladly give that power away so they won't have so much to do, and can spend more time at cocktail parties and golfing. Besides, congress can't be blamed for it anymore.
  • Risk 2012/12/01 13:58:26
    Risk
    +3
    Why would anyone even consider turning over such power to a 100% proven failure, liar and just plain loser ?
  • topcat128 2012/12/01 13:49:05
    topcat128
    +1
    Another crazy Obama Idea and the stupid Republicans just may go along with it.
  • Jesse-Tired of Liberal Lunacy 2012/12/01 13:35:14
    Jesse-Tired of Liberal Lunacy
    +1
    He is on a rampage now, because no one has ever said no to him or made him accountable for what he's done. He gets away with anything he wants to do and his idiot leftist following are too stupid to see where he is taking them. He thinks he's God. Somebody needs to curb him or this country will be in a depression within a few years.
  • Pedalpusher 2012/12/01 12:34:04
    Pedalpusher
    +3
    He has some freaking damn nerve and won't stop at anything since he's gotten away with so much! He knows (as I'm sure he doesn't live in a bubble) that the big issue this past election was the amount of debt that he has put us in and now since he's gotten another 4 years rather than trying to change it, he's just continuing running wild! How can any of you that support him do so? Explain how good this will be for this country!! Be reasonable and sensible, think a little before you blast out!
  • Amanda 2012/12/01 12:23:11
    Amanda
    +3
    Um, whatever happened to a lovely little thing called "checks and balances?!"
  • ed 2012/12/01 11:22:10
    ed
    +4
    his only role should be in keeping house nothing else. obama cleaning house
  • DS in Oak Ridge NC 2012/12/01 11:09:17
    DS in Oak Ridge NC
    +4
    First no budget is passed in his first term, now no spending limits at all? No Way!!
  • JOHN C 2012/12/01 09:20:46
    I think as follows:
    JOHN C
    +2
    he sent Timmy Geithner to avert the fiscal curband obama is taking a 4 million dollar vacation.......sit back and ponder that for a while
  • alun.palmer 2012/12/01 09:01:10
    I think as follows:
    alun.palmer

2014/08/28 13:25:41