Should non homeowners(and non property owners) be able to vote on tax increases for homeowners?

Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201 2007/09/24 21:58:41

• mona.kerr.54 2013/11/01 02:49:46
    mona.kerr.54
    Everybody pays property taxes; renters just do so indirectly. Tax increase will affect rents. So yes, non-home owners and non-property owners should have a say in property taxes. But they need to think twice about increases because it will affect them.
  • bungle 2008/12/16 03:57:25
    bungle
    +1
    hell no!!!
  • buzzboygt 2008/08/03 21:35:49
    buzzboygt
    +1
    Why tax at all? It's just legalized theft.
  • Dogg ~ Ready for war 2008/05/08 04:55:11
    Dogg ~ Ready for war
    +1
    Just Like I feel if you don't have children you shouldn't pay school taxes
  • bungle Dogg ~ ... 2008/12/16 04:04:32
    bungle
    This is only a guess here. You probably are/were educated at a public high school. I think public education is benificial for society. That way a majority of people get at least a basic education. Wouldn't wan't a bunch of uneducated people voting on weather or not to raise my property taxes.
  • kellley 2008/05/04 19:24:32
    kellley
    +1
    I hate to say that they have no right to vote on htis matter, but they don't, they are RENTERS, not home owners, they have no right to taxes on my property. When their name is on my deed then they can have a say.
  • JaknHarely 2008/05/03 05:47:53
    JaknHarely
    of course they should, if they don't own then they rent from someone who does. If they don't own now I'm sure they want to own one soon enough, Who the heck wants to throw their money out the window on rent? If they are part of the land, if they are a citizen, they should be abse to vote on this.
  • Jerry (... JaknHarely 2008/05/03 15:35:52
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +1
    There are people on welfare who never even intend to get a job voting to raise my property taxes. That's OK?
  • JaknHarely Jerry (... 2008/05/04 05:54:19
    JaknHarely
    +1
    Jerry, I hope you know that I respect you and your opinion, but I doubt those lazy asses are going to vote. lol, even if they were bro, I'm a renter, and I would surely vote against it, because I don't think we need ANY new taxes, and even if I did, I'm smart enough to know this would come out of my pocket also. but yes, I think everyone who lives within the community has a right to vote man. Of course, I think by there being a debate of it, they know the community isn't going to come out and vote unless likely your a land owner, so Uncle Sam can vote for the folks that don't show up and just plug the new taxes any way, and then everyone just blames the poor, they love to play classes against each other, but you know me, if I can blame the government I will. lol.
  • Foo Master Angie 2008/05/02 16:49:37
    Foo Master Angie
    +1
    It's a tough question. A good question. I say yes, only because the money made from tax increases affects the entire town...the money could go to road repair or eductation....things that affect everyone....
    THEN - there's people who own homes in towns that they don't even live in, so they'll always vote no on tax increases, because they don't care if the roads get fixed or the schools are crap.
  • ..... 2008/05/01 10:02:57
    .....
    +1
    It's a tough call since we're considering an act of voting prohibition, but it does bring an interesting imbalance to the surface. Should those who don't have to pay for the effects of a vote be entitled to the vote? Overall, I think not.
  • Brat Simpson 2008/04/30 04:08:00
    Brat Simpson
    +5
    Renters pay taxes...it's included in the rent!
  • ..... Brat Si... 2008/05/01 10:03:34
    .....
    +1
    Not property taxes. Not in every state either.
  • Brat Si... ..... 2008/05/01 14:37:29
    Brat Simpson
    +3
    It's not broken out and called property taxes...but every year if/when the property taxes went up my landlord sent a letter saying due to the increase in property taxes he has to raise the rent.
  • ..... Brat Si... 2008/05/01 14:42:50
    .....
    He's just using that as an excuse to raise rent. Perhaps his profit margins suck, or he's greedy.
  • Brat Si... ..... 2008/05/01 14:45:25 (edited)
    Brat Simpson
    +3
    None the less...part of the rent payment goes to his paying the property taxes and my answer is still yes.

EDIT/ADDED:
    My landlord was a great guy...one of the reasons I stayed in the apartment for 10 years. When he raised the rent it was only $10 a month if that, I remember once it was only $5 a month. He always gave you plenty of advance notice that he was going to do it.

If I hadn't gotten married I'd probably still live there.
  • ..... Brat Si... 2008/05/01 14:49:39
    .....
    +1
    Nobody's arguing that with you.
  • JaknHarely Brat Si... 2008/05/03 05:51:22
    JaknHarely
    I just got one of those letters, people don't care, just like minimum wage increase the only reason prices go up with that is because the people on top don't want to take the hit, so they transfer it to people who it was designed to protect from the low wages, and the middle class gets hit the hardest because they are dealing with the abusing end without the perks that that the on toppers get, until they wind up right back in the seat of the abused....
  • Brat Si... Brat Si... 2008/05/01 15:08:16
    Brat Simpson
    This question also make me think about the people with no kids/people that send their kids to private school have to pay school taxes and are allowed to vote on the school budgets.

Naturally they don't want the taxes to go up - so they vote no on the budget vote. They have no vested interest in the program for kids becasue they have no kids in the school system.
  • marybeth m__>:) 2008/04/30 01:56:42
    marybeth m__>:)
    +1
    NO..! definately not. their landlord should.we dont get a kick back from their rent..and there are no seperate taxes for non owners to pay..renters taxes for example...maybe there should be..
  • JaknHarely marybet... 2008/05/03 05:54:02
    JaknHarely
    of course you get a kickback from their rent, it comes through the landlord, If he didn't have all those renters you better believe he might have a problem paying those taxes.
  • Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum 2008/04/29 21:26:02
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    +3
    Everyone pays it, whether directly with your mortgage or indirectly though rent. It is a myth that renters don't pay property tax.
  • Candy Girl ~ "We The People... 2008/04/29 21:12:38
    Candy Girl ~ "We The People" Loves America
    +1
    No -- why should they vote on a tax they don't pay?
  • scrshaw 2008/04/29 15:32:03 (edited)
    scrshaw
    +4
    Actually the property tax increases are reflected in their rent payments because the land lords tax burden will increase and they just pass the cost on to the tenants.
  • Jerry (... scrshaw 2008/04/29 17:54:44
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    What about home owners who have no rentals.
  • scrshaw Jerry (... 2008/04/29 17:59:08 (edited)
    scrshaw
    +1
    Huh? They are already going to pay the increase because they own property.
    Everybody pays property tax in one form or another. Unless you live on a house boat or in a church.
  • Jerry (... scrshaw 2008/04/29 18:02:43
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    Why should non property owners decide that we who do own property get a tax raise. If you're not a landlord you can't pass it off to a tennant. The non property owners get all of the benefit. Do you like taxes?
  • scrshaw Jerry (... 2008/04/29 18:12:47 (edited)
    scrshaw
    +2
    Because they will also get a raise in their rent as a direct result of a property tax increase. Therefore, why shouldn't they have a say? It's their money too!
    I have been on both sides of this. As a renter when I was younger and now as a current home owner. Everyone should have a say. When the government tries to put it's hand in our pockets, we all need to stand up and say NO!

As a matter of fact I don't like taxes, probably less than you. My property tax bill goes mostly to the school system and I don't have any kids! Since my Tax bill is about $4,000, I'm paying about $2,700 a year for a service that I will never use!
  • Warren ... Jerry (... 2008/04/30 02:59:19
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    +2
    And when the local government installs sidewalks, sewers, water supply, street lights, etc. who does this mostly benefit? Property owners. Yes, renters benefit too, but they pay for this priviledge through their rent. Is it fair that a property owner who owns his property free and clear continue to receive improvements on his property without paying additional taxes? Seems like a no brainer. I am both a homeowner and property owner, by the way.
  • JaknHarely Jerry (... 2008/05/03 05:58:00
    JaknHarely
    I understand that, and I think that's why we should implement a tax based on the amount of rent you charge, a "renters tax" rather than what your property is worth. That way, you don't gain by upping the rent on tennants because the tax went up, if you do that than your just making your tennants pay more taxes, then who will rent from you, and the middle class is spared. Not that I agree with new taxes, it's just if a new tax goes in, then lets try to cut the loop holes and not overburden an already pressured market.
  • Clarky 2008/04/29 15:29:35
    Clarky
    +1
    They won't feel the bite in their wallets like the property owners will.
  • Jax 2008/04/29 13:15:45
    Jax
    I swing both ways but more towards yes. I think they can because one day they might be planning on owning a home and they are voting for their best interest. I know me and my hubby are saving to buy a house so I would want to vote for my our interest.
  • Tpem 2008/04/29 10:30:22
    Tpem
    +1
    School systems personnel continue to lobby year after year for tax increases. We pay higher and higher taxes for schools and get less and less input and less achievement.
  • Seuskeeper 2008/04/29 01:45:18
    Seuskeeper
    +1
    Unless they want to help me pay them.
  • Wicked (Holla Back Boy) 2008/04/29 01:27:45
    Wicked (Holla Back Boy)
    +1
    I think if it doesn't effect them they shouldn't be allowed to affect it.
  • Jamie (goofygirl) 2008/04/29 01:06:48
    Jamie (goofygirl)
    +3
    Because indirectly they pay property taxes when they rent. The owner of their home, apartment, etc, pays taxes.
  • Jerry (... Jamie (... 2008/04/29 12:49:55
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    Not every property owner is a landlord. Most aren't.
  • Warren ... Jerry (... 2008/04/29 21:28:38
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    ????
  • Jerry (... Warren ... 2008/04/29 21:29:41
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    Is there a problem?
  • Warren ... Jerry (... 2008/05/01 10:59:45
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    I didn't understand what the point was of your statement "not every property owner is a landlord", but I think I get it now. Jamie's point was to show that renters pay property tax. She was not claiming that property owners get reimbursed for all of their property tax, the argument you seem to be refuting. And why should they, if they reap all the benefit of that property?

2014/09/30 11:50:47