Should NBC Apologize to Newt Gingrich Over Attack on Wife?

Politics 2011/06/17 16:00:00
This much is indisputable: Newt Gingrich's presidential campaign suffered a major meltdown last week. Sixteen staffers resigned en masse, including his longtime political adviser and friend Rick Tyler, campaign manager Rob Johnson and his entire Iowa staff.

It probably didn't help that Gingrich also stumbled out of the blocks with his Paul Ryan smackdown, but among the reasons the staffers quit were Gingrich's decision to take off for a two-week overseas vacation with his wife just weeks into his campaign, as well as claims that the former House Speaker was a lazy candidate who allowed third wife Callista to assert too much control over campaign decisions.

It was the latter that really riled Gingrich, so much that he is demanding an apology from NBC News over a report that cited complaints from former advisers blaming Callista for many of the problems that led to the mass exodus.

The NBC report featured many of the same gripes from ex-staffers that reporters have been hearing for weeks – that Callista held up early morning campaign stops in order to get her famously perfect hair done and that she insisted they promote the couple's for-profit film company on her husband's campaign site and at public events.

"I believe NBC owes Callista an apology, because the fact is my campaign is my campaign," Gingrich told Fox News' Greta Van Susteren. "Yes, we make decisions as a couple, but in the end, I take full responsibility. And I think the program this morning was totally irresponsible, and personally reprehensible, and the kind of thing that makes it hard to get decent people to run for public office."

Gingrich claimed that the NBC piece, "had nobody on camera, nobody quoted by name … quoted reporters talking anonymously about cowardly people, who, frankly, lied about my wife."

Gingrich then went on to compare his relationship with his wife to that of Ronald and Nancy Reagan, reminding his supporters that "people blame Nancy Reagan for things that Ronald Reagan did. The fact is, we are partners in thinking a lot of things through..."

NBC has not apologized and stands by its reporting.

"This is misplaced anger," said Chuck Todd, NBC's political director. "Nobody should be surprised when a candidate stands up for their spouse. That said, his anger probably should be at his aides because all of the reporting on this has been about how Newt Gingrich was allowing his personal issues--whether it was actions by his wife, actions by his production company--somehow be prioritized over the presidential campaign. That's why these folks left."

Should NBC apologize to Gingrich?

• Pinball Wizard 2011/11/14 23:37:16
    No, toughen up Newt
    Pinball Wizard
    Hey if the shoe fits. Newt & his wife need something better to do then playing politics. Since she is his third wife, maybe he should concentrate more on his marriage.
  • Lolaita 2011/07/23 21:53:20
    Lolaita
    Callista scares me....those eyes....EW.
  • us 2011/06/20 17:24:40
    us
    +1
    there is no reason to attack his wife.
  • whitewulf--the unruly mobster 2011/06/20 17:16:19
  • BobJessen 2011/06/20 15:48:31
    No, toughen up Newt
    BobJessen
    "Slapper Down Agin' Pa Slapper Down Agin'...Iffin' She Set ta Ry Zin ....Slapper Down Agin'! "
  • luvguins 2011/06/19 23:36:59
    No, toughen up Newt
    luvguins
    How deserving for adulterer, Newt. A controlling wife this go round. Think the last straw for his staff is when he took off with her for a Greek Isles vacation. NBC called it as they heard it from his staff.
  • toasty 2011/06/19 20:44:21
    No, toughen up Newt
    toasty
    +1
    Nope- the gloves are off this election season. Get used to it.
  • eyemall 2011/06/19 16:19:17 (edited)
    eyemall
    +2
    Who was it that said attacks on his wife out of place? I beleive it was Obama during his campaign.So wives should be left alone
  • whitewu... eyemall 2011/06/20 17:17:18
  • Frank 2011/06/19 16:04:52
    No, toughen up Newt
    Frank
    It goes with the job, if you want to hold office get use to it..........
  • metalmike13- Trust No One 2011/06/19 08:41:22
    No, toughen up Newt
    metalmike13- Trust No One
    Nope. This guy wants to be President? Wake up. Ask Bush or Obama how much crap has been spewed in their direction. Oh and how much crap did Newt spew at Clinton for having an affair, when he was cheating on his wife at the time as well.
  • mrdog 2011/06/19 07:41:40 (edited)
    No, toughen up Newt
    mrdog
    Nope....clearly the gal is doing her thing for Newt...

why would he be upset.... if they are a team...it is

okay for me she seeks control over their run as a

candidate for office.... get over it Newt....and let the

gal continue to do her thing for her hubby....bark

P.S. Hey Newt,, if she causes you to lose...then dump
    her and move on to a fourth spouse...why not?
  • JimmyColeman 2011/06/19 01:16:43
    No, toughen up Newt
    JimmyColeman
    Newt is a loser and soon history will forget him.
  • Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA 2011/06/18 18:15:09
    Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    How would you like waking in the morning to Calista's maniacal smile? I'd be checking my chest first thing, to see if our kitchen steak knives were planted there
  • Jeremiah 2011/06/18 18:03:15
    No, toughen up Newt
    Jeremiah
    NBC's job is to report the news. They were only quoting former advisers about what derailed Newt's campaign. They brought up the involvement of Mrs. Gingrich; they were not prodded into it.
  • harry 2011/06/18 17:46:21
    No, toughen up Newt
    harry
    Gingrich is a flip-flop cry baby. He will say whatever it takes to be President. He' s just in it for the money and power. He'll never get elected for President. Just like Sarah Palin will never run for President. When are the Republicans going to get a solid candidate in the race? Cause now they don't have anyone that can beat Obama, sorry to say. That's a fact.
  • ptete in left I trust ~ POT... 2011/06/18 17:25:57
    No, toughen up Newt
    ptete in left I trust ~ POTC**FUKU2**
    +1
    I can't believe that his poor wife could have ANYthing to do with staffers walking out. Maybe she needs to get yet another facelift so her eyes can meet in the back of her head and she can see behind her?
  • ★misfit★ 2011/06/18 16:42:38
    ★misfit★
    +2
    After seeing her picture I'm so scared I can't even think. Those eyes!
    picture scared eyes scared
  • Adam 2011/06/18 15:40:10
    Adam
    +3
    No opinion, I just want to say that the lady in that picture has the most terrifying look on her face I have ever seen. Never mind creepy, I have trouble believing that that is human.
  • GOP Poison 2011/06/18 15:10:31
    No, toughen up Newt
    GOP Poison
    +1
    And this coming from the guy that called Hillary a bitch when she was first lady.If his trophy wife did not want to marry a politician that is prone to adultery and mud slinging then she should have married someone else OH and about him calling Hillary a bitch,I did not hear him say it but I DID hear his mother say that it is his favorite name for her
  • merlinskiss 2011/06/18 14:59:21
    No, toughen up Newt
    merlinskiss
    +1
    But WTF is that standing next to him? Is she on drugs?
  • shadow76 2011/06/18 14:41:22
    shadow76
    +4
    Thatnetwork has destroyed innocent people and never apologised Newt shouldn't expect it any time soon.
  • Jeremiah shadow76 2011/06/18 18:05:19
    Jeremiah
    +1
    Give me a break. They were only reporting what the former advisers said.
  • whitewu... shadow76 2011/06/20 17:19:03
  • herbie hind 2011/06/18 14:27:49
    herbie hind
    she resembles pelosi an awful lot .
  • Bob DiN herbie ... 2011/06/29 18:52:23
    Bob DiN
    +1
    Nobody is as bad as Pelosi.
  • GANGA~Patriotic Revolution ... 2011/06/18 14:16:41 (edited)
    GANGA~Patriotic Revolution BL-100+
    +2
    You really expect NBC (National Broadcast of Clowns) to appologize? LMBO!
    Who is going to entertain the Loons!
  • Markie 2011/06/18 13:56:31
    No, toughen up Newt
    Markie
    +2
    Can somebody put this in a "Caption This Photo" contest. Wow
  • fer_reals Markie 2011/06/18 14:04:40
    fer_reals
    +1
    We shouldn't make fun of people with Botox addictions...shame on you.
  • Markie fer_reals 2011/06/18 14:11:32
    Markie
    +1
    I am sorry, I should not be allowed on SH.
  • fer_reals Markie 2011/06/18 14:13:11
    fer_reals
    +1
    most of us shouldn't
  • Greg 2011/06/18 12:54:37
    No, toughen up Newt
    Greg
    +1
    The media always attacks Republicans, he needs to get used to it if he is going to be President.
  • sue 2011/06/18 12:50:15
    No, toughen up Newt
    sue
    +1
    Newt is just trying to distract from the fact that his aides alleged that he emphasized the aspects of campaigning that made money for himself and not those that actually contribute to winning. They allege that he isn't really running to win, but to get as much money as possible while he runs.
    No, toughen up Newt
    +3
    big baby Newt
  • Markie Sister ... 2011/06/18 13:54:32
    Markie
    +1
    Wah-wah wah- Newt just quit crying and drop out of this so called campaign.
  • Adam 2011/06/18 12:32:38
    Adam
    +1
    Bitch is scary looking
  • Sissy 2011/06/18 12:07:41 (edited)
    No, toughen up Newt
    Sissy
    +2
    I'm surprised that Newt is so sensitive. He's been around long enough to know that everything is fair game when it comes to politics. Look at the trashing Fox does to the current President and his wife. (as well as any and all politico bearing just a "little" Left of Center!!) Perhaps the unexplained 1/2 million dollar Tiffany bill that has raised so many eyebrows in and out of the media and caused a little more scruitny than the Gingrich's would have liked.
  • Tigger Too 2011/06/18 11:08:02
  • lin sugar lips 2011/06/18 10:24:51 (edited)
    lin sugar lips
    +6
    If NBC is going to report something they should have the accusers there.
    They also need to attack Newt not his wife she isn't challenging their President.
  • Jeremiah lin sug... 2011/06/18 18:08:33
    Jeremiah
    +1
    They only reported what they were told by the advisers. Does Fox include accusers every time it smears the Obama family, or any other Democrat?

2014/07/28 08:28:05