Should mothers be pressured to breastfeed?

Inquisitve Kat 2012/08/01 05:25:35
Mothers should be pressured to breastfeed, because of its benefits.
Don't pressure mothers, by making it difficult to easily obtain formula.

(Reuters) - "New
York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and state officials are pushing
initiatives aimed at encouraging new mothers to breastfeed their babies,
drawing criticism from some parents who say officials are interfering
with their health choices.

State health commissioners
announced on Tuesday that letters highlighting the importance of
breastfeeding were being sent to hospitals, reminding them of
regulations limiting unnecessary formula feedings for breastfed
newborns.

The state initiative
coincides with Bloomberg's call for hospitals to lock away their baby
formula and have nurses encourage new mothers to breastfeed."

Do you think Bloomberg is going too far? Should mothers be pressured to breastfeed?

Is this fair, or is this bullying?

Read More: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/01/us-usa-n...

• La 2012/08/02 01:38:20
    La
    Um, sending letters to women informing them of the benefits of breastfeeding is not "pressuring" them >.> Women should be informed of the benefits of NOT SMOKING during their pregnancy, not eating tons of sugar, etc. Many women know nothing about how to grow a healthy baby >.<
  • Inquisi... La 2012/08/02 04:38:35
    Inquisitve Kat
    +1
    But it's going beyond that... it's not allowing women to breastfeed, until they can demonstrate why they can't... keeping the formula locked away until they mother is lectured extensively.
    If it was simply education, then allowing the woman to make her own choice, I'd support it.
  • La Inquisi... 2012/08/07 00:35:03
    La
    +1
    >The state initiative coincides with Bloomberg's call for hospitals to lock away their baby
    formula and have nurses encourage new mothers to breastfeed.

My bad, I interpreted it to mean that was something he said, not something he'd put into action.
  • Vision of Verve 2012/08/01 22:25:54
  • unicorn_lady1 2012/08/01 21:48:15
    unicorn_lady1
    This is what is called a progressive nudge

push a little then a little more and use previous push successes as precedence for further nudges all leading to totalitarianism - you do as you are told.
  • Inquisi... unicorn... 2012/08/02 04:39:20
    Inquisitve Kat
    It has nothing to do with being progressive... the right does it, too. It is, however, corruption.
  • Racefish 2012/08/01 21:19:00
    Racefish
    +1
    More government interference. Maybe we should make it impossible for these know-it-all idiots to reproduce.
  • beachbum 2012/08/01 21:12:21
    beachbum
    +1
    After Bloomberg has a baby, then he make that decision for himself - in the meantime, it's really none of his business what a mother decides.
  • USAF Vet 2012/08/01 19:19:43
    USAF Vet
    This is ‘distilled’ progressivism run amuck; plain and simple.
    +1
    Hell no - it is her choice
  • Patriot Unit 2012/08/01 18:59:04
    Patriot Unit
    Democrats, Don't believe in CHOICE. That is the truth of the matter. That is what they keep growing the Government because sooner or later, their Dictator will take over, and he or her will make all the rules.
  • Inquisi... Patriot... 2012/08/01 19:36:51
    Inquisitve Kat
    +1
    Uh, I'd think you'd find most Democrats are against this, too.
  • Marianne 2012/08/01 14:54:27
    Marianne
    +2
    No woman should be forced into breastfeeding, that is not for everyone!
    Let them decide by themselves what is good for them and their child.
  • Peacock 2012/08/01 14:06:34
    Peacock
    +2
    When Mayor Bloomberg can push someone the size of a watermelon through an opening that is the size of a dime, then, he can speak. Now, SHUT UP MIKE! I know pros and cons..formula fed babies actually DO live, and thrive. It is up the M.O.T.H.E.R. PERIOD! Whatever a Mom decides to do, as long as it helps her to be THE best care provider, and nurturer for the Baby, everyone else should MYOB!! You don't have to have cracked nipples as your MOMMY MERIT BADGE.
  • Nameless 2012/08/01 12:42:12
    Nameless
    +1
    They should be encouraged to do so, but not pressured. Those are two very different things. Formula is not nearly as good as nursing and, perhaps, formula should not be as readily available. If a mother truly wishes to feed her baby formula, after trying to nurse or having a serious health reason to not nurse, then it should be available... However, seriously encouraging women to help their babies have an healthy start is hardly "pressuring." Breastfeeding a baby is as natural as breathing - and for the baby very important.
  • Inquisi... Nameless 2012/08/01 17:32:34
    Inquisitve Kat
    If the formula is not available right away, it's no longer encouragement, it's pressure. Educated mothers and let them make up their own minds.
  • Nameless Inquisi... 2012/08/01 21:34:58
    Nameless
    +1
    Who is saying the formula would not be available "right away?" LOL! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! OMG, women might be encouraged to try to breastfeed their childrn> OH NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Inquisi... Nameless 2012/08/02 04:41:39 (edited)
    Inquisitve Kat
    They are saying it will be locked away until an RN has to go get it, not a nurse's aide, and not until the woman is thoroughly lectured... even though the baby is hungry that moment.
    Again, I'm not against education, but don't pressure... you can encourage without pushing.
    In Canada, I know a woman who was closely watched by a social worker... why? Because she simply refused to breastfeed. That's insane!
  • Nameless Inquisi... 2012/08/02 11:04:55
    Nameless
    Formula is always provided by a nurse. It's very important because some babies have reactions to different formulas and it's quite important to get the right one in place, if possible, before the baby leaves the hospital... Imnsho, simply refusing to breastfeed one's baby is an extremely selfish and ignorant thing to do. There is a reason we have breasts and it's not just for sexual pleasure. The insanity is when some women choose to have babies and then refuse to try to do what is best for them. I nursed both of my daughters because if was best for them. My younger had to be weaned at two months because I had to be placed on some seizure medication that was dangerous for her. So, formula was the next best thing. If a mother is not prepared to do what is best for her baby, when at all possible, then perhaps she should reconsider having babies. It has been proven time and again that breastfed babies are healthier. So, eff the women who may be a bit inconvenienced by having to ask a nurse for formula when they could just simply place their baby at their breast but are too selfish to do so.
  • Inquisi... Nameless 2012/08/02 13:08:49 (edited)
    Inquisitve Kat
    I was formula fed and I was raised perfectly healthy... as is every other adopted child.

There is no reason to PUSH breastfeeding, simply because it has some benefits. If a mother is outright refusing, she has a reason... she shouldn't have to defend herself.

It has nothing to do with being self-centred, so eff the person who thinks they can tell a woman what she should be doing with her body.

**EDIT**

Well, I tried to respond to your latest response, but I see that you've blocked me in an attempt to sound off with the last word. It's a shame, since all I really had to say was that you brought up some good points.

I'm glad to see you're so interested in open discourse. -_-
  • Nameless Inquisi... 2012/08/02 14:04:45
    Nameless
    Adoption is a separate issue. There are exceptions. Also, just because you were healthy does NOT mean "every other adopted child" is. Every study done has shown that nursed babies have a higher immune system, less ear infections, higher resistance to all sorts of illnesses. Many women outright refuse because they are selfish. If they are that selfish that they are somehow offended at at least trying to do what is best for their baby, then perhaps they should have considered having a baby a little more carefully. Nursing does cause some inconvenience. However, it is PROVEN to be more healthy for the infant and is less expensive. It also means that baby and mother likely have to spend more time together. G-d forbid! Also, nursing is not just about feeding. Sometimes it's just about needing comfort - and babies can need a lot of that. What's better for the baby? Sticking a pacifier in its mouth or taking the time to hold and nurse for a few minutes? Wow... let me think!

No one is telling women that they cannot bottle feed formula. They are seriously encouraging women to consider a better way, though.
  • Nameless Inquisi... 2012/08/02 14:05:13
    Nameless
    I suppose you think eff the child, too. Good on ya!
  • JanHopkins 2012/08/01 10:56:26
    JanHopkins
    +4
    Whatever happened to choice? The government wants to control our boobs now?
    +3
    Leave it up to the mother! Bloomberg is stickin' his nose in where it SHOULDN'T be.
  • kelly 2012/08/01 09:26:38
    kelly
    +3
    Mothers shouldn't have to be pressured to do anything a certain way.
  • Azazyel's Dragon 2012/08/01 09:14:02
    Azazyel's Dragon
    +3
    Absolutely not...Some women have trouble breastfeeding due to various health related issues. But who are we to tell these women what to do after their child is born?
  • Jackal 2012/08/01 08:19:39
    Jackal
    And they get to show their titties...
  • DutchHeretic Native non-Ame... 2012/08/01 08:01:55
    DutchHeretic Native non-American
    +2
    Pressured in to something by making the alternative more expensive is just stupid...
    But women should be encouraged to breast feed, by correct in formation about it as an alternative to the advert campaigns for baby formula....
  • jgh57 2012/08/01 07:12:58
    jgh57
    +4
    Politicians have no business in this. There are many moms that do not need to breast. Every day hospital nurseries have babies born addicted to drugs or alcohol. The last thing needed is for that mother to breast feed and continue poisoning the poor babies system..
  • Jensenmk 2012/08/01 07:12:28
    Jensenmk
    +3
    Breast feeding is the right thing to do, but ultimately it is up to the mother to decide.
  • TuringsChild 2012/08/01 07:11:56
    TuringsChild
    +1
    INFORM mothers of the benefits of breastfeeding to both her and her child. Let her know the pitfalls of formula, and allow her to make an informed choice.

Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge."
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/08/01 06:22:41
    Inquisitve Kat
    +3
    I don't think mothers should be pressure to breastfeed, by government OR doctors.

I do believe they should be educated about the benefits of breastfeeding, but let them make their own decisions.
  • Dana 2012/08/01 06:01:25
    Dana
    +4
    Just do not pressure the mother, ever. Leave her alone. I HATED all the pressure from every single busy body about breast feeding... hated it almost as much as I hated breast feeding. It hurt, horribly, the entire 8 months I did it, and with my second child, I only tried for a couple of weeks, then gave up. It may be great for some, but is not for everyone. Show respect and follow the mothers wishes.
  • ParkMan 2012/08/01 05:50:04
    ParkMan
    +3
    I like the phrase encouraged, not pressured.
  • Inquisi... ParkMan 2012/08/01 06:20:07
    Inquisitve Kat
    +1
    But how are these mothers not going to be pressured, with what he proposes? They will be lectured to, before they can have the formula... it's psychological play to make them feel guilty.
    Hell, they're even expected to prove they can't breastfeed.
  • ParkMan Inquisi... 2012/08/01 17:45:16 (edited)
    ParkMan
    +1
    There's a fine line between encouraging and persuading - I trust the professionals will be find the right balance.

Also, mothers are tough people. If they can raise children, they can take a little pressure on this. If not, they just put up with it for an hour and then do what they were going to do anyways.
  • MichaelJ 2012/08/01 05:49:26
    MichaelJ
    +1
    What I have an objection to is government involvment between the women and their doctors. The doctor can reasonably advise these women and don't need government encouraging or discouraging ANYTHING.
  • Simmering Frog - PHART 2012/08/01 05:36:35 (edited)
    Simmering Frog - PHART
    +1
    doctors

Yes but by doctors not politicians. Shut up Bloomberg and get back to making sure the sanitation department is picking up the garbage.
  • Inquisi... Simmeri... 2012/08/01 06:21:11
    Inquisitve Kat
    I agree that government shouldn't be able to pressure mothers, but I don't think doctors should be allowed to either... there's nothing really 'wrong' with formula feeding.
    Educated? Sure... pressured? No.

2014/10/22 22:28:32