Should Minors Be Allowed to Use Tanning Beds?

In the wake of controversy surrounding Patricia Krentcil, who was accused of putting her 6-year-old daughter into a tanning booth, New York lawmakers are contemplating an outright ban on the use of tanning booths for minors. But Krentcil's case isn't the only reason it's being considered. Officials say they're concerned about teen use, particularly around prom, and the 72 percent increase in melanoma that The American Cancer Society has reported over the last decade.

A similar law was proposed in Chicago by Alderman Debra Silverstein, who told CBS, "When I saw this news story about [Krentcil] on the news, I was like, we really have to do something. We have laws against selling cigarettes to minors, because it causes cancer, and tanning in the tanning beds causes cancer." Unfortunately for much of the nation, Snooki is over 18, so she'll be allowed to continue tanning regardless. But is the proposed ban taking it too far?

• Defend ... Tarheel 2012/05/14 10:47:02
    Defend Western Civlization
    no such thing as right wing
    you have no right tell Parents what their kids can or cant do
  • Tarheel Defend ... 2012/05/17 21:55:13
    Tarheel
    Let parents do anything to their, whether it will hurt them, scar them for life whatever, that's the attitude you have and it sickens me.
  • Defend ... Tarheel 2012/05/18 00:42:26
    Defend Western Civlization
    where did i Specifically say that parents have the right to hurts Kids?
  • Tarheel Defend ... 2012/05/18 23:51:06
    Tarheel
    That's the point of this, something that is potential harmful to a kid (tanning beds) but you say it's no one's business but the parents, ergo, parents have the right to do anything harmful or not and it's no one's business.
  • Defend ... Tarheel 2012/05/19 00:33:07
    Defend Western Civlization
    no that is your opinion its potentially harmful
    you want the government to dictate to Parents they they cant allow their kids use tanning beds if they want
  • Tarheel Defend ... 2012/05/19 01:29:14
    Tarheel
    Whatever, I'm officially done with this. You can hope that any parents can do anything they want in regards to their children. I guess you've never seen what kids can suffer at the hands of their parents. So long as you have the right to do what want. Cheers to you. I still will feel a responsibility that kids should not have to suffer more than they need to because they have nitwits for parents. To quote the kids, "whatever dude".
  • Defend ... Tarheel 2012/05/19 13:28:20
    Defend Western Civlization
    i see more nonsense from the Liberal Progressive DNC
  • Tarheel Defend ... 2012/05/19 13:52:23
    Tarheel
    The basis problem here is: your making this about politics and your hatred for a political party, I told you, I'm not even very political and to me this is an issue of what is right for minors...end of story. It's not about politics, it's about the kids. I'm a mother and a teacher and I'm always concern about what is good for students as well as my own daughter.
  • Defend ... Tarheel 2012/05/19 14:41:44
    Defend Western Civlization
    more of your spin and nonsense
    you either back big government or not
    the government has no interest in the welfare of the minors
    its all about control
    if you do not want your daughter to use tanning bed fine but you have no right to tell other mothers/fathers weather their kids can use tanning beds PERIOD
  • Tarheel Defend ... 2012/05/19 14:47:18
    Tarheel
    Whatever, I'm sorry yes, parents should have the right to do anything whether or not it causes damage to their kids, please stop responding because you're an idiot and I have no desire to have further discourse with you.
  • Defend ... Tarheel 2012/05/19 17:40:30
    Defend Western Civlization
    then stop responding to me if you cant use logic
  • Tarheel Defend ... 2012/05/23 01:30:16
    Tarheel
    I'm not responding to you because all you do is put some misspelled, incoherent rant. I'm using hyperbole to make a point. You haven't made any points, just basically have called someone you don't know or know anything about..names. Wow, that must make you feel great.
  • Defend ... Tarheel 2012/05/23 10:18:46
    Defend Western Civlization
    your hate is the best reason never to vote for a liberal progressive democrat or obama
    stop responding to me if you cant use logic
  • Tarheel Defend ... 2012/05/24 01:52:07
    Tarheel
    Dude, you're the one who's hating, not me. You spewed it from the start. I only think that children should be protected.
  • Defend ... Tarheel 2012/05/24 11:41:34
    Defend Western Civlization
    you think big fascist liberal progressive democrat should rule America with a iron fist
    And People who say they are teachers do not use the term dude
  • Tarheel Defend ... 2012/05/24 23:43:17
    Tarheel
    Hey, I am a teacher, I thought dude was preferable to what I'd really like to say. You're kind of a jerk. I was also in advertising sales for about 25 years and then went back to school (paid for by me) to get my teaching certification. I was in undergrad at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. You need to really get a life and find someone who cares to hear your nonsense. I'm way too busy trying to do the right things with my life. Jerk!
  • Defend ... Tarheel 2012/05/25 00:18:13
    Defend Western Civlization
    how Racist Fascist Liberal progressive Democrat of you
  • Common ... Tarheel 2012/05/14 04:20:15
    Common Sense Conservative
    The list is VERY relevant because every time something is banned or made illegal it's just one more step to making something else illegal or banned. And by saying you saying that "if it takes making it against the law for a child under 18 then fine" you are telling other parents what's good or bad for their kids when it's none of your business.
  • Defend ... Tarheel 2012/05/14 00:33:27
    Defend Western Civlization
    How FASCIST LIBERAL PROGRESSIVE DEMOCRAT Obama Voter of you
  • Defend ... Tarheel 2012/05/14 00:31:57
    Defend Western Civlization
    Its NONE OF YOUR or Comrade obamas business if Parents let their Kids own guns or use tanning beds
  • Jaroslav Dantes 2012/05/13 15:34:37
    Jaroslav Dantes
    +1
    What those minors will this have? For the beauty of independence in return for the benefit of behavior in stupidity. Yeah, let the kids look at 60 years, it will monokini.
  • ★misfit★ 2012/05/13 15:23:32
    ★misfit★
    +1
    Not unless you're going to let them smoke and drink too. It's just as harmful to the skin as cigarettes are to the lungs.
  • Common ... ★misfit★ 2012/05/13 21:16:59
    Common Sense Conservative
    Do you ever see kids at the beach or in the sun?
  • ★misfit★ Common ... 2012/05/13 22:10:40 (edited)
    ★misfit★
    Yeah and I hope their parents put some sunscreen on them. The difference is that you can't regulate how much time kids spend in the sun without an invasion of privacy, but a tanning salon can easily say no to letting a kid tan. So unless we really are going to allow the sale of alcohol and cigarettes to minors (which I would actually entertain as a viable option), I don't see how tanning in a salon is that much different.
  • Common ... ★misfit★ 2012/05/13 22:23:36
    Common Sense Conservative
    It should be a law that parents put sunscreen on their kids when they are in the sun.

It will never end. Parents need to be the best parents that they can be for their kids, not mine.
  • ★misfit★ Common ... 2012/05/13 22:25:59
    ★misfit★
    But you can't regulate that without invading privacy.
  • Common ... ★misfit★ 2012/05/14 04:22:04
    Common Sense Conservative
    There shouldn't be ANY regulation. It's my kid and not anyone else's. If I think my kid can be in the sun or a tanning bed that's our business and nobody else's.
  • ★misfit★ Common ... 2012/05/14 04:32:52
    ★misfit★
    If you're also okay with your kid being able to go buy cigarettes, then I can see your point of view. If not, then there's some logical problems.
  • Common ... ★misfit★ 2012/05/14 23:52:55
    Common Sense Conservative
    If I think it's ok for my kid to smoke cigarettes that's up to my wife and I, not anyone else.

Now, smoking around others is a different story altogether.
  • ★misfit★ Common ... 2012/05/15 00:35:55
    ★misfit★
    +1
    Okay, I just wondered if you thought minors should be able to purchase them.
  • CookiiCutter 2012/05/13 15:00:03
    CookiiCutter
    +1
    I don't think adults should be allowed to use them either! Whats wrong with going out in the sun? At least your less likely to get a malignant melanoma and die! The sun is there for a reason.
  • NatalieHolland 2012/05/13 13:44:58
    NatalieHolland
    +1
    Child abuse.
  • Common ... Natalie... 2012/05/13 21:18:39
    Common Sense Conservative
    Child abuse, racism, bigot, homophobic, etc, etc, etc. Really, tell us all what your definition of child abuse really is.
  • Betty 2012/05/13 11:58:50
    Betty
    13 and older
  • Wulfdane 2012/05/13 11:54:24 (edited)
    Wulfdane
    +1
    We do not need a paternal goverment telling us how to raise our children. What's next, banning kids from laying in the Sun? Sunbathing and the excessive exposure to UV light that comes with it, is the leading cause of skin cancer.
  • AN 2012/05/13 11:33:59
    AN
    +2
    NO no one actually should use it. it's bad for you
  • TheNightFly 2012/05/13 09:57:54 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    I can't understand why people still believe the legal system is the answer to every problem when we are constantly reminded that it causes more problems than it solves.

Remember the reason tanning booths were developed in the first place was to enable people to avoid sun bathing and still get good tans indoors by moderating their exposure to a narrower spectrum of less harmful UV radiation. Yes, it's still harmful and can still cause cancer of not properly moderated but it's still safer than sun bathing. Banning minors from using tanning booths is only going to drive kids back into the sun- which is worse!

And will the MSM make it a point to keep us updated on how the ban is not only failing to reduce the statistics of skin cancer among minors but contributing to it? Probably not.
  • Fef 2012/05/13 07:08:44
    Fef
    +2
    The ban would forbid parents from granting permission to their kids... I trust parents more often than lawmakers, particularly NY lawmakers.
  • ★misfit★ Fef 2012/05/13 15:25:03
    ★misfit★
    Do you think parents should be able to grant their kids permission to smoke and drink? Not attacking, I get where you're coming from, I'm just curious.
  • Defend ... Fef 2012/05/13 18:43:06

2014/09/02 09:51:09