Should Menthol Cigarettes Be Banned?

Menthol cigarettes aren't more addictive than regular cigarettes but they could still be banned.

A federal advisory panel report said removing menthol cigarettes from the market would benefit public health, according to The New York Times. But the Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee, possibly worried about litigation with tobacco companies, didn't recommend to the Food and Drug Administration that it restrict or ban the additive.

While no scientific evidence showed that menthol smokers inhaled more toxins or had an increased risk of disease compared with other smokers, there was evidence that the availability of menthol cigarettes made smoking more attractive to young people, African-Americans and other groups because the flavor was less harsh.

"This is the most conclusive scientific finding that menthol cigarettes dramatically increase youth tobacco use and make it more difficult for African-Americans to quit," Matthew L. Myers, president of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, told the Times. "It creates a scientific record which compels F.D.A. to act."

Menthol was first added to cigarettes in the 1920s. Congress banned candy, fruit and spice flavoring in tobacco products but declined to take on menthols. It gave the F.D.A. broad authority to regulate the products in 2009.

The cigarettes are a multi-billion dollar industry. It accounts for more than a quarter of the $80 billion market, according to the Times. Menthols are preferred by more than 80 percent of black smokers, about 22 percent of non-Hispanic white smokers and nearly half of 12- to 17-year-old smokers, nearly 20 million smokers in all.

The F.D.A. said it would now open its own investigation and research into menthol cigarettes before deciding on what action to take.

Read More: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/19/business/19tobac...

• America... Mr. STFU 2011/03/22 21:12:41
    American All The Way
    +2
    ALCOHOL - STREET DRUGS - AND OF ALL THINGS WHITE GRANULATED SUGAR
  • GeraldS... America... 2011/03/22 22:58:19
    GeraldSpencer
    . . . (A)nd Spring Break.
  • GeraldS... Mr. STFU 2011/03/22 22:57:15
    GeraldSpencer
    Alcohol, alcohol and more alcohol, guns, guns and more guns, benzene based perfume, a great deal of things.
  • America... Mr. Smith 2011/03/22 21:09:27
    American All The Way
    People make their own choice!!!! aren't hurting anybody else!!!!!!!! Yes the smoker will pay the price, It is sad to think a person has no more value for their life than that. That freedom, you speak of can lock up the lungs of a person with chronic lung disease, that does hurt other people. I saw a nice looking lady in a hospital one time, was in her early 50's, smoked from age 16 or so, per her. The pulmonary man gave her no more than six months to live. All she did was cry as she counted down the days. Everyone I have ever had contact with that had just been handed a death sentence due to the little killers had such a lost look on their face's. Kind of like how could this happen to me. Things like this only happen to the other person. Not so. So Mr. Smith, if you do not value your own life, consider the lives of others around you that do.
  • Mr. Smith America... 2011/03/22 21:18:01
    Mr. Smith
    That's still their choice to make, not yours, and not the people who love them. It's called individual freedom, not collectivism. The fact that some idiot doesn't know that cigarettes will hurt them is NOT an argument to ban cigarettes from those who do know the risks. Stop trying to regulate other people's choices, if people want to ignore the facts and make stupid decision, let them, it's their life. You live your life, I'll live mine. To each their own.
  • kAREN SHORT 2011/03/22 20:29:58
    kAREN SHORT
    +1
    If your going to take peoples rights away to smoke than while your at it ban alcohol. Alcohol kills too, and theirs nothing worse than a drunk.
  • America... kAREN S... 2011/03/22 21:17:49
    American All The Way
    Not so if the drunk is isolated. If one is able to smoke in the same area as the drunk was isolated it needs to be ventilated out by means of a positive pressure ventilation system before further use. Residue from the smoke can do damage to anyother person that would be in need of isolation. People do not have a clue how dangerous smoking is.
  • GeraldS... America... 2011/03/22 23:00:38
    GeraldSpencer
    Way over board! The exaggeration is extreme. There is more dangerous pollution in the vicinity of any motor vehicle using a combustion engine.
  • kobidobidog 2011/03/22 20:23:24 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    Humans will give harmful things to humans, and not bat an eyelash smelling the green of money, but tell them to do good,and they will strain like they have constipation.
  • America... kobidob... 2011/03/22 21:20:27
    American All The Way
    +1
    Fun in a sad way is it not.
  • kobidob... America... 2011/03/24 21:18:55
    kobidobidog
    Funny in a strange way. We need good in a good heavenly way. Humans harming the temple of God is not a good thing at all. I wish humans would wake up from their slumber.
  • ConLibFraud 2011/03/22 20:23:02
    ConLibFraud
    Let people smoke wood if they want to - just not in public places.
  • America... ConLibF... 2011/03/22 21:26:27
    American All The Way
    +1
    Public places????? Any where out side their door in the open air is a PUBLIC PLACE. Now lets go back inside for a bit. Are there other people, specific direction to children. CHILDREN the little ones that depend on and believe that the big person there is there to take care of them and protect them from harm. Smoking kills, do not let anyone BS. you on it. If you love your kids protect them from all harm they are depending on you for their future.
  • ConLibF... America... 2011/03/22 22:45:23
    ConLibFraud
    Think you are more hard core about cig smoke than I am ... and I am hard core. I agree with you!
  • GeraldS... ConLibF... 2011/03/22 23:01:35
    GeraldSpencer
    The taxes paid is implicit license to smoke in public places. Remove the tax if public use is banned.
  • ConLibF... GeraldS... 2011/03/22 23:47:56
    ConLibFraud
    I don't care as long as I am not forced to be contaminated by someone's freegin cig smoke.
  • Karen 2011/03/22 20:04:19
    Karen
    If I don't like the way a person smells because they don't wear deodarant and it's offensive to me should we ban them from existence. Or how about babies screaming in the middle of a restaurant when your trying to eat, or neighbors play t.v.'s or music too loud, people drinking too much, or taking drugs, smoking pot or crack. Where do we draw the line. You can live you life any way you want to as far as I'm concerned. But you can't get out of it without dying. So ladies and gentlemen, pick your poison, because your going to die of something.
    I'm sitting here right now, smoking a cigarette, (not a menthol) writing this. I'm not blowing it in anyone's face or offending them. If I choose to do this, it's my business and no one elses.
    The Governments bullying of Americans that do smoke with enormous taxes is unfair to say the least. It's a blatant target pointed at a specific group of people because the choose to smoke. Why isn't there one for people the eat too much or too little, or people that spit everywhere, or gangs, or smell, or drink too much, or do illegal drugs, or buy too many shoes.

IT'S STUPID GUYS. GET A LIFE!!!!!
  • America... Karen 2011/03/22 22:02:52
    American All The Way
    I would give a sume of money to be standing there when/if your primary or the pulmonary comes in and says it is finished. Better get your affairs in order, your out of time. Lord I love to see the facial expressions on you tough guys. Once the audience is gone and it gets quit that is when the words sink in. No my friend you just GAVE A LIFE!!!!!! It happens and to those who it never happens to, to boot. You are also right about banning other unfit crap. "Government bulling", boy you are a true America. You are one lost soul. In a country not far away. A country that your leader, hussein obama, is well aware of, There was a young lad. This lad was hungry, Not like many American's. This lad stole a loaf of bread. The men in the market place caught him. They held his hand on the ground and drove over it with a car. Crushing the hand beyond repair. "Bulling", In Saudi Arabia, if anyone touches an article that does not belong to them, now get this, even if the article is picked up to give to the authorities, That person gets their hand cut off, "Bulling", In Pakistan, if an unmarried woman becomes with child it is an automatic death sentence. Do you hear what I am saying, and you say "Bulling". America has gone to far with being kind to offenders and smokers, drug head, drunks, Bu...
    I would give a sume of money to be standing there when/if your primary or the pulmonary comes in and says it is finished. Better get your affairs in order, your out of time. Lord I love to see the facial expressions on you tough guys. Once the audience is gone and it gets quit that is when the words sink in. No my friend you just GAVE A LIFE!!!!!! It happens and to those who it never happens to, to boot. You are also right about banning other unfit crap. "Government bulling", boy you are a true America. You are one lost soul. In a country not far away. A country that your leader, hussein obama, is well aware of, There was a young lad. This lad was hungry, Not like many American's. This lad stole a loaf of bread. The men in the market place caught him. They held his hand on the ground and drove over it with a car. Crushing the hand beyond repair. "Bulling", In Saudi Arabia, if anyone touches an article that does not belong to them, now get this, even if the article is picked up to give to the authorities, That person gets their hand cut off, "Bulling", In Pakistan, if an unmarried woman becomes with child it is an automatic death sentence. Do you hear what I am saying, and you say "Bulling". America has gone to far with being kind to offenders and smokers, drug head, drunks, Bullies, and all low life crime scum bags have had it to good. If you do not like what I have just shared with you, You had better take a long, hard look at hussein obama. he is from that neck of the woods.
  • Karen America... 2011/03/23 18:08:42
    Karen
    So tell me Deary, what's your poison? Do you need an executrix for your will. I know a great attorney. Yes, I am an AMERICAN, fifth generation, Irish and German heritage. This is OUR COUNTRY. Banish your thoughts of the middle eastern ways in MY COUNTRY. Those are fightin' words were I come from bud and you ain't seen nothin' yet! You can take your mamby bamby little back side to what ever rock you crawled out from under
  • nightm4825 In god we trust 2011/03/22 19:55:03
    nightm4825 In god we trust
    if everyone stopped smoking it would actually cripple the economy you know before tax a pack of cigarettes is only a dollar?
  • America... nightm4... 2011/03/22 22:05:46
    American All The Way
    It would help if they were $20.00 and pack plus taxes and add on a few dollars for medical research. Boy that would, as they say, separate the man from the boys. I'd love it.
  • nightm4... America... 2011/03/29 03:07:05
    nightm4825 In god we trust
    the way I see it your screwed no matter what you do if you drive well guess what? your hurting the environment and peoples lungs hell in that case just replying to my comment you just killed another one gods helpless little creatures and while were raising prices I say if you buy a foreign car it you should have to pay double for it cause of what its doing to the planet ships are not clean and think of all the fuel they take lol I can do this all day lol...
  • Stan Kapusta 2011/03/22 19:50:22
    Stan Kapusta
    People should do what they want. It's not Iran here.
  • America... Stan Ka... 2011/03/22 22:49:32
    American All The Way
    From the mouth of a true person that lives in American, Can't say you are an American. Thomas Jefferson, one of our founding fathers. You know, a man that a long time ago helped to form the foundation that this country was built on. Well, Thomas said a democracy that has no order, no organizational structure is not a democracy it is an anarchy. None of us should be able to do "what we want". What we need is the insite to do that which is right, not that which feels good. For any one person to do that they see fit in their own eyes as being right, "what they want" and it brings about pain and suffering to another because the behavior was wreckless needs to pay a price. If it were left up to me, I would have no friend's, therefore I would suffer no emotional pain when that individual got the whealing they would never forget. They would most likely need mental health help from that day on. American's make me sick. Where are all the real American's at. That reminds me of a true life story. An American boy in his teens, a student as he was, Was in Singapore, Being an American he acted out as could be expected of an American. Good for nothing scum bag. He took a can of spray paint and painted the side of the car of a citizen of Singapore. They caught him, good for them and very bad ...
    From the mouth of a true person that lives in American, Can't say you are an American. Thomas Jefferson, one of our founding fathers. You know, a man that a long time ago helped to form the foundation that this country was built on. Well, Thomas said a democracy that has no order, no organizational structure is not a democracy it is an anarchy. None of us should be able to do "what we want". What we need is the insite to do that which is right, not that which feels good. For any one person to do that they see fit in their own eyes as being right, "what they want" and it brings about pain and suffering to another because the behavior was wreckless needs to pay a price. If it were left up to me, I would have no friend's, therefore I would suffer no emotional pain when that individual got the whealing they would never forget. They would most likely need mental health help from that day on. American's make me sick. Where are all the real American's at. That reminds me of a true life story. An American boy in his teens, a student as he was, Was in Singapore, Being an American he acted out as could be expected of an American. Good for nothing scum bag. He took a can of spray paint and painted the side of the car of a citizen of Singapore. They caught him, good for them and very bad for him, but he learned a lesson that so many American's need to learn. I loved it. This took place back in the 1970's, I believe. Well, this fine up standing American went through the court system. He got 30 lashes with a whip of nine tails. I will save you the time to look it up. A whip of nine tails cuts the meat off of what it strikes to the bone. Love it, It gets better. They sentenced him to a prison term. Well, The wishee-washee U.S. attache got involved, got the boy out of prison early. The boy was sent home and everyone thought it was so bad of those folks over there to be so mean to junior. Well, junior did "what he wanted", he vandalized a man's car. Where was his respect for other peoples property, Oh I forgot, he should be able to do "what he wanted" without paying a price, Just like in America, HUH. Many people die from the shock of the whip. They must have given him an American whippin' not a Singapore whippin'. Shame on them if they cut him a break. Ha, Ha, cut him a break, that's a joke son, that's a joke. Wonder if he goes to the next aisle over when he sees an aisle with spray paint in it in the hardware???????
  • Stan Ka... America... 2011/03/26 22:46:22 (edited)
    Stan Kapusta
    That's why Singapore is what kind of government? Why not cut off the thumbs too. Thank God I'm a gun totin free American. If material things are more important than a persons life or well being. You move to Singapore. You said you'd be happy. Be glad your in America and not in Singapore, or you'd be Cained for not having permission to speak.
  • Old Salt 2011/03/22 19:46:18
  • wellsowhat 2011/03/22 19:43:23
    wellsowhat
    +1
    Banning all births would be the best of all bans...if we never allow births, those never born will never die thus we cure death! thank you...I will be available anytime to receive my Nobel Prize!
  • rand 2011/03/22 19:42:26
    rand
    +1
    I'm a former smoker and Smokestoppers trainer. It's an insidious habit, but we did learn something from Prohibition, right? Never restrict a freedom unnecessarily. Educate, educate, educate.
  • America... rand 2011/03/22 22:54:03
    American All The Way
    Well put, Sad that to often the damage is done before the education takes place or sinks in.
  • rand America... 2011/03/22 23:34:55
    rand
    Maybe putting a skull-and-crossbones on cigarette packs would help...or pictures of blackened lungs. Didn't that work for Canada? I forget.
  • Sage 2011/03/22 19:41:13
    Sage
    Honestly, i think we should ban smokes all together...although people should be smart enough not to slowly kill themselves.
  • Stan Ka... Sage 2011/03/22 19:51:41
    Stan Kapusta
    +1
    Not your choice. I don't like what you ate for breakfast. Should I deny you? Meathead.
  • Sage Stan Ka... 2011/03/22 20:26:53
    Sage
    its an opinion......how am i trying to make a choice for somebody? the only meathead here is you, sir.
  • America... Sage 2011/03/22 23:03:40
    American All The Way
    +1
    Agreed, Sage, Trust me, They learn as fast as the movement of sound when the doc says you got lung caner, your time is up. It is not a fun thing to watch, But it is a lesson that is worth the learning.
  • America... Stan Ka... 2011/03/22 23:00:59
    American All The Way
    +1
    When you smoke you deny anyone within breathing space of you. you set them up for chronic diseases that kill. You know second hand smoke is more harmful to a non smoker than the initial smoke is to the smoker. What one eats for breakfast does not directly impact the health of another person. Bad defense. If that person eats to much it could kill them early in life and your suffering would come as you extinguish your smoking killer as you go into the funeral home.
  • Sage America... 2011/03/23 19:36:02
    Sage
    finally a smart, sensible person :) and i also like how you brought up second hand smoking....my mom smoked when she was pregnant with me, now i have asthma...but she forced herself to quit afterward, without a patch or gum or anything.
  • Sew America... 2011/03/24 00:03:58
    Sew
    Second hand smoke is NOT more harmful. Not even close. Unless you are standing mouth to mouth with the smoker then amount of smoke you'd breath in is so small its nearly unmeasurable. All the "research" is mired with unethical methods, preconceptions and in general lack of supporting evidence. I can also point out that most any public place bans smoking anyhow and only private establishments that clearly state smoking is allowed are places you are likely to encounter this, which because you choose freely to enter is your fault. The amount of toxins you breath in on a daily basis from pollution, from your car, and so on is more dangerous. To say that seond hand smoke causes lung cancer is a half truth, after all with the degree of pollution you can at best claim it as a contributing factor and with the extremely small amount you can expect to inhale it would be one of the lowest contributing factors at that. Its hard to justify the ban of a ciggerrette product because you MIGHT get cancer if you stand in a cloud of smoke for years on end. This arguement is weak at best and if the FDA can get away with banning cigs what else can the get away with? Next thing you know they'll be banning twinkies because they COULD cause heart disease which by the way killed more people in a year ...
    Second hand smoke is NOT more harmful. Not even close. Unless you are standing mouth to mouth with the smoker then amount of smoke you'd breath in is so small its nearly unmeasurable. All the "research" is mired with unethical methods, preconceptions and in general lack of supporting evidence. I can also point out that most any public place bans smoking anyhow and only private establishments that clearly state smoking is allowed are places you are likely to encounter this, which because you choose freely to enter is your fault. The amount of toxins you breath in on a daily basis from pollution, from your car, and so on is more dangerous. To say that seond hand smoke causes lung cancer is a half truth, after all with the degree of pollution you can at best claim it as a contributing factor and with the extremely small amount you can expect to inhale it would be one of the lowest contributing factors at that. Its hard to justify the ban of a ciggerrette product because you MIGHT get cancer if you stand in a cloud of smoke for years on end. This arguement is weak at best and if the FDA can get away with banning cigs what else can the get away with? Next thing you know they'll be banning twinkies because they COULD cause heart disease which by the way killed more people in a year then smoking does. I think I should also mention that Japan smokes twice as much as American does and has half the cases of lung cancer. 75% of lung cancer is Small Cell Lung Cancer NSCLC which is triggered by chemical pathways connected to inorganic phosphates which come largely from......food! Imagine that.
  • America... Sage 2011/03/22 22:55:22
    American All The Way
    A .22 bullet is faster and cheaper and it does not affect another person, one hopes.
  • Baba 2011/03/22 19:35:25
    Baba
    I see the question has been answered by Beccy. Thank you. My sentiments.
  • tpops 2011/03/22 19:34:29
    tpops
    I don't smoke, never have and never will but the the question should be should we ban all cigarettes not just the menthol version. If it is going to be legal then leave cigarettes alone or ban all cigarettes.

2014/10/22 00:18:08