Should Lie Detector Results Be Used in Court?

DANNY_B0i♛ 2010/10/22 13:47:09

• Mahrissah 2010/10/23 14:14:18
    Mahrissah
    I don't see a point, it isn't a fool-proof thing.
  • Johnny Reb the Roofer 2010/10/23 00:21:17 (edited)
    Johnny Reb the Roofer
    Lie detector tests are completely inaccurate. I took one once and was asked to lie in order to calibrate the machine. I passed--even though I lied--and they had calibrated the machine. They could not figure out how I lied on controlled questions and still passed. They still have not figured it out.
  • Carlos ... Johnny ... 2014/10/03 02:13:55
    Carlos Aldape
    +2
    if you knew your supposed to lie then you weren't going to react the same way as if it was an actual interrogation. You need the pressure you get from lying when trying to hide something to get a more accurate result.
  • XZQZQ 2010/10/23 00:01:38
    XZQZQ
    Photos, recordings, and lie detectors are not fool-proof.....
  • JD 2010/10/22 23:27:56
    JD
    What if you were completely innocent and it was a death penalty case? Worst case scenario or not, this could ruin an innocent persons life.
  • Bozette 2010/10/22 23:16:49
    Bozette
    No.
  • Mr. Smith 2010/10/22 21:40:46
    Mr. Smith
    No, absolutely not, no way! Any trained polygraph operator can ask questions in such a way to skew the results. On the flip side, any guilty person can cheat a polygraph test very easily. All you have to do is train one particular muscle in your body to clench at the peak answer time, this makes every answer the same result, therefore the polygraph operator can't tell when you're lying. If you're really interested I can tell you what the muscle is.......
  • Ty ~ PHAET 2010/10/22 21:38:28
    Ty ~ PHAET
    Because they're not accurate. Wouldn't you be nervous too if you were in that situation?
  • NidStyles 2010/10/22 21:32:00
    NidStyles
    I say they should be used, if they are done in batch format. Say every person tested is tested 10 times using variation's of the question's.
  • GiantsNut1738 2010/10/22 20:54:48
    GiantsNut1738
    i say yes on some cases and no on others. like for say it was a child molester or murder yeah. but if its a small ticket for speeding or having drugs on you then no.
  • American Reformed 2010/10/22 20:25:57
    American Reformed
    +1
    Far too many reliability issues.

Blessings Upon You
  • Bob 2010/10/22 20:15:45
    Bob
    +1
    Lie Detectors like all technology and forensic tools are NOT fail proof. We have way too many people being convicted in the courts of America, without good firm, evidence now thanks to horrid attorneys general and prosecutors trying to make a name for themselves. Since Lie Detector results are "subjective" by the operator. NO they shouldn't be used anywhere near a courtroom.
  • Andrew ~ PWCM 2010/10/22 20:05:55
    Andrew ~ PWCM
    I know a guy that lied like crazy when he had to take one, and he passed no problem.
  • Angi 2010/10/22 20:05:46
    Angi
    +1
    Like you say the are not accurate and it could be argued that they are wrong. Some people know how to cheat them as well.
  • Soojin 2010/10/22 19:52:21
    Soojin
    +1
    When will people realize that polygraphs are just pseudoscience? They are NOT accurate in any way, and they have been widely rejected by scientists worldwide.
  • Peru Soojin 2010/10/22 20:05:41
    Peru
    Pseudoscience, just like fingerprint identification? See http://www.sodahead.com/unite...
  • Idiot repubs 2010/10/22 19:49:09
    Idiot repubs
    Only if phrenology (reading the bumps on your head) is also allowed.
  • holly go lightly 2010/10/22 19:37:38
    holly go lightly
    +1
    Not just no.HELL NO!
  • Gino™ 2010/10/22 19:36:09
    Gino™
    Lie Detectors can be tricked.... they're not definitive.

If they were 100% accurate.... then Yes they should be used.
  • 2468 2010/10/22 17:52:00
    2468
    If they support the case of innocence but not if it is used to prove guilt.
  • Gino™ 2468 2010/10/22 19:31:21
    Gino™
    +1
    how is that not a hypocritical statement?

"You can use it to get you out of trouble.... but I can't use it to prove you're in trouble"

No man, it doesn't work that way.... Either you can or you can't.
  • 2468 Gino™ 2010/10/22 23:03:27
    2468
    In America we are more lenient so that we don't penalize an innocent person.
    The slant is made to favor the accused.
    In some countries you are considered Guilty until proven innocent.

And I have been around a man that was accused of molesting the child from the divorced wife. That was more of a case of having to prove innocence which is very hard.

How can one prove that they didn't do something?

I understand that with a child involved we have to bend to the side of protecting the child but that can be so unfair to the accused.

Can you prove that you have not been speeding on the Interstate or other road in your area in the last week?

Catching you in the act can prove that you were but disproving is very hard.

So, in a way my statement is hypocritical but for a purpose which supports the underlying tenets of the judicial system.
  • Gino™ 2468 2010/10/25 12:54:06
    Gino™
    Yes disproving is very hard... which is why defense attorneys get paid a lot of money to do what they do.
    And what they do, is polish the jury.
    Lets take this back to the OJ Simpson case.... there is a MOUNTAIN of evidence against OJ, proving that he committed the murders... However the only thing that could have possibly convicted him, since Johnny Cochrane did a hell of a job polishing the jury in that case, was a Lie detector...

But using your example...

You say that proving your innocence on the highway is difficult....

Well, without actually catching me in the act, prove that I sped. Deep down you know I did... There is evidence supporting the fact that I did.... For all intensive purposes I did speed.... But the jury said I didn't.... Is that justice?
  • 2468 Gino™ 2010/10/25 14:39:17
    2468
    It is the bias we have in the American justice system. In other countries and also in America when the system falls down people can be locked up without proof.

We have some of that going on in Gitmo which is a bad precedent.

We don't get justice in the courts exactly.
    We have rules and so it is more of a game with rules delineating what is a fair move or not and a judge to call the play in bounds our out of bounds.

If a small guy goes against a large corporation you know the corporation has the advantage because of the money and resources they can throw into the system. They can hire the lawyers that golf with the judge. So, is that justice?

In the end perfect justice is not available and sometimes it means people get a better deal than they should and sometimes they get a worse deal. We do work to get a reasonable outcome in the larger sense but any single issue can be a data point that would be considered UNFAIR.

But what is a better solution?
    Is there another system that is more fair?
  • Country Girl 2010/10/22 17:51:02
    Country Girl
    +1
    I'm not sure yes and no. Cause some times people can cheat the lie detector.
  • Infidel for Freedom 2010/10/22 17:40:46
    Infidel for Freedom
    +4
    There are simply too many issues about accuracy, as well as associated Constitutional problems.
  • C. C. Rider 2010/10/22 15:54:16
    C. C. Rider
    +3
    NO, They have been proven over and over they do not work, but yet the results keep creeping into court cases and the news. I would rather they use a Ouija board, at least hopefully some of my dead relatives would back my alibi....
  • Disko Pickle 2010/10/22 15:26:42
    Disko Pickle
    +3
    It doesn't work. It's based on pseudo-scientific theories.
  • rtava 2010/10/22 14:30:58
    rtava
    +2
    they aren't foolproof
  • Emily_Lightning ~Final Fant... 2010/10/22 13:58:41
    Emily_Lightning ~Final Fantasy Addict~
    why not? sounds like fun!
  • TheJoker 2010/10/22 13:57:59
    TheJoker
    +2
    No, the test can be manipulated with relatively little preparation..... I was tested while in Uni as part of a Psychology test, & I totally tricked it.

2014/10/22 01:58:43