Should Kids Have Guns ?

Breaking News 2011/01/17 23:27:27
Related Topics: Murder, Guns, Have Gun, Home
With the recent AZ shootings and a tremendous increase in gun sales including mass murder weapons like AK47's across the country it makes me wonder if kids should have guns or access to guns in their homes ?

mass murder weapons ak47s country kids guns access guns homes

Your thoughts ?

• FD-Firefighter 2011/01/17 23:40:39
    FD-Firefighter
    +3
    Kids need to learn about guns. They need to learn to respect them. Now, I believe it's ok to give a 13 year old a rifle to go hunting after he's passed a safety course, but nothing more. No ARs, no hand guns, and noone under 13.

• nickels 2012/04/23 14:08:21
    Yes kids should have access to guns...
    nickels
    I'm 15 and i hunt for food and go places to hunt so not all kids will do stupid things with guns not saying some do
  • AustinEngy 2011/03/24 03:11:00
    Yes kids should have access to guns...
    AustinEngy
    Just like getting a drivers permit, I think there should be a way for children to prove their maturity and professionalism. There are certainly people who are over 18 who shouldn't have weapons. And I recognize that there will be no way to stop them from having them. So the only way to make it more difficult for people to use weapons in crime is the risk that THEIR life might be in jeopardy. I think that responsibility doesn't come on your magical 18th birthday, but over time and at different ages for every person. Before the 1930's, you could mail order a fully automatic firearm. No matter your age, no questions asked. All you needed was the money. How many school shootings occurred in the early 1900's before the NFA was passed? Or even before prohibition for that matter.
  • Captain K.A. 2011/02/11 04:53:10
    Yes kids should have access to guns...
    Captain K.A.
    This one kid I knew needed to keep a sniper under his bead when he lived in South America for when he would go out to the bathroom which was outside because there were cougars. However at certain ages it would be pointless because they probably couldn't even fire the gun properly anyways. As far as age restriction, gun laws are fine where they are from what I can see. By the last picture of Columbine do you suggest that high schoolers can't handle guns because those kids shot up the place? Because FYI adults do that also sometimes, and claiming that it was because of their age instead of their sanity would be ageism.
  • wombat 2011/01/19 18:09:04
    No kids should not have access to guns...
    wombat
    Although the second amendment is allowing toddlers to stay armed.
  • CAROLYN NTARWNJBS 2011/01/19 01:35:49
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    Lock them up when not in use.
  • bigfoot 2011/01/18 19:47:59 (edited)
    Yes kids should have access to guns...
    bigfoot
    with the proper approval of a third party authorized to do so.along with an age requirement,proper supervision and training including parents.
  • Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2011/01/18 16:45:32
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    It should be required that those who own guns and also have children must lock them in a gun safe. Too many accidents happen.
  • Tim St. John 2011/01/18 07:40:24
    Tim St. John
    +1
    wow ! my mom wouldn't even let me touch the stove until I was in 4th grade..now we wanna give 'em 9mm pistols ??? this country is officially, clinically insane.
  • wtxwoman 2011/01/18 01:26:22
    wtxwoman
    +2
    Kids should never have guns unsupervised. I think they should be taught to shoot them and respect what they can do. I started learning to shoot a .22 rifle when I was four. It was drilled into my head that you never point a gun, loaded or unloaded at anyone. Later the phrase 'unless you are willing to use it' was added. My daddy kept loaded guns by each outside door of the house and his pistol in a drawer. There was never an accident. We hunted, as a family, for squirrel, rabbit, and dove.
  • tecknot... wtxwoman 2011/01/18 01:31:45
    tecknotron BN-0 RP2012
    and according to some, just the possibility of danger (possibility is in everything) should have labeled your folks criminal. And then comes the CPS to take the kids away.
  • wtxwoman tecknot... 2011/01/18 03:53:10
    wtxwoman
    +1
    If there had been CPS back then, they would have taken....well, most of the kids in town. And, all of the adults would have been in jail.
  • tecknotron BN-0 RP2012 2011/01/18 00:58:12
    tecknotron BN-0 RP2012
    +2
    Kids can have guns to use for legitimate purposes. That has been going on forever. Just keep them away and locked up otherwise.
  • Breakin... tecknot... 2011/01/18 01:50:20
    Breaking News
    +1
    And if you have a gun for protection how useful is it if it is locked up ?
  • tecknot... Breakin... 2011/01/18 01:53:59
    tecknotron BN-0 RP2012
    You got me there.
  • FD-Firefighter 2011/01/17 23:40:39
    FD-Firefighter
    +3
  • AustinEngy FD-Fire... 2011/03/24 03:16:54
    AustinEngy
    The problem with restricting "scary-looking" firearms is that that's all they are. They for the most part use smaller caliber rounds than their hunting brothers. The whole basic concept of firearms is all the same. It's a pin hitting a case. AR can be modified with enough cosmetics to look like a hunting rifle. The only difference is who the audience the manufacturer is trying to cater their weapons to. And I understand now what you mean about handguns. I think there should be safety courses and mental evaluations that minors can take to determine their ability and maturity with firearms. Let's face it, the majority of kids who will be using guns for bad aren't going to be the honor students who have a higher level of maturity and adult-like behavior.
  • lonewolf 2011/01/17 23:34:59
    lonewolf
    +3
    look i'm pro gun always have been i even carry. but there is a differnce between a responsable gun owner and idiots, you have little ones at home lock the guns up simple right . when mine were young i kept mine in a gun safe i'm the only one who knew the combo to open it.
  • Breakin... lonewolf 2011/01/18 01:48:51
    Breaking News
    +1
    If you have a gun for protection how useful is it if it is locked up ?
  • lonewolf Breakin... 2011/01/18 01:57:25 (edited)
    lonewolf
    +1
    true but i always had one on my side and still do.
  • Rusty Shackleford 2011/01/17 23:33:16
    Rusty Shackleford
    +3
    What a moronic question, might as well give them a bottle of Jim Beam and the keys to the car.
  • lonewolf Rusty S... 2011/01/17 23:35:23
  • Breakin... Rusty S... 2011/01/18 01:47:39
    Breaking News
    So are all your guns locked away so your kids or neighbor kids can not get to them ?

• Rusty S... Breakin... 2011/01/18 02:11:42
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    The info about the storage of my guns is not for the public, that's security 101.

My method of gun safety is knowledge and training, that is why my children have actually fired my handguns as well as assault rifles. Their curiosity is satisfied and they know just how powerful they are.

They can assemble, load, aim and fire successfully. But they mysteriously disappear when it comes to cleaning for some reason.

Besides, when the zombies come, I may need them to cover the rear.
  • Breakin... Rusty S... 2011/01/18 10:19:49
    Breaking News
    Well, you may have knowledge and training but kids will be kids and every year many shoot themselves or friends with guns parents thought they didn't know about or or wouldn't touch.
  • Rusty S... Breakin... 2011/01/18 14:56:35
    Rusty Shackleford
    Those kids weren't trained.

Kids are curious creatures, they naturally pick up things they are unfamiliar with and play with it till it does something. Keeping a weapon in the house with kids and not satisfying their curiosity is what causes the accidents.

If any of my children, ages 10,13 &18, were to discharge the weapon killing themselves or another, I can assure you that it would not be an "accident".
  • JingerJewels 2011/01/17 23:31:11
    JingerJewels
    +1
    it's a little to late don't you think
  • captkirk999 2011/01/17 23:28:58
    captkirk999
    +1
    Kids are too young to understand the responsiblity of having a gun.

2014/08/30 11:54:02