Should junk food be banned from public schools?

☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2011/02/12 22:46:43
Related Topics: Bill Clinton, BP
Junk Food totally be banned from schools
Obese Children should be banned from Schools Till they lose Weight
If we dont do something this is future of America
Schools are not responsible For What Students Eat
Allow Junk Food to Remain But offer Healthy Choice options
Maybe They should Teach Students a Class on healthy diet and lifestyle
Parents should teach thier children healthy diet not Schools

Obesity in children is an issue throughout North America and the habits that you learn when you are young are the ones that will carry through to adulthood. Bill Clinton has brokered a deal through his organization to have all schools offering healthier snacks by going through the manufacturers of the snack food themselves. This is a great good news story.

Just five months after a similar agreement targeting the sale of sodas in schools, Bill Clinton and the American Heart Association announced a deal Friday with several major food companies to make school snacks healthier — the latest assault on the nation’s childhood obesity epidemic.

“By working with schools and industry to implement these guidelines, we are helping to give parents peace of mind that their kids will be able to make healthier choices at school,” said Dr. Raymond Gibbons, president of the heart association.

The agreement with Kraft Foods Inc., Mars Inc., Campbell Soup Co., Groupe Danone SA and PepsiCo Inc. sets guidelines for fat, sugar, sodium and calories for snack foods sold in school vending machines, stores and snack bars. Those companies make everything from M&M;’s, yogurt and granola bars to Frito-Lay potato chips, Snickers bars and canned soups.

Under the guidelines, most foods won’t be permitted to derive more than 35 percent of their calories from fat and more than 10 percent from saturated fat. There will be a limit of 35 percent for sugar content by weight.

Gibbons said Thursday the guidelines are based on the recommendations of leading scientists “as to what we should be doing to provide more nutritious foods for our kids.”

Charles Nicolas, a spokesman for PepsiCo, which owns Frito-Lay and Quaker, said Frito-Lay already has products that meet the guidelines, such as baked potato chips and reduced-sugar chewy bars.

“We’re going to change a few recipes so that more snacks meet those guidelines as well,” he said.

Kraft said in a statement that it would add the sodium and calorie caps to its nutrition guidelines “and extend these guidelines to include all of our competitive foods sold in schools.”

The William J. Clinton Foundation teamed up with the heart association to form the Alliance for a Healthier Generation in 2005. The alliance was formed to combat childhood obesity, which has been blamed for an increase in early-onset diabetes and other ills. In May, the alliance announced an agreement with beverage industry leaders to sell only water, unsweetened juice and low-fat and nonfat milk in elementary and middle schools. Diet sodas and sports drinks are still being sold in high schools.

Officials said that agreement covered 87 percent of the soft drink market in public and private schools. Bob Harrison, executive director of the alliance, said the snack-food industry is not as concentrated as the beverage industry, so the reach of this agreement will not be as wide as the earlier one. But he said the five companies participating in the new agreement are market leaders and their influence will be felt.
agreement wide earlier companies participating agreement market leaders influence felt

• wtxwoman 2011/02/13 05:10:56
    wtxwoman
    +4
    YES, YES, YES!!! This cannot be emphasized too much!

• James 2011/02/13 02:02:14
    James
    +2
    Children are not responsible enough to care about their own health. We have full grown adults who don't even care. Maybe if health insurance coverage was tied into it somehow would we care more often.
  • President 2011/02/13 01:54:51
    President
    +1
    Yes it should be banned. Then we can create a black market for it and charge twice the money and make even more money off the kids, because they are still gonna purchase it no matter what people tell them to do.
    Yes sir, how about a nice nutritious carrot for a buck, or a snickers bar for $2 dollars, lol.
    Wonder what they will pick, lol!!!!!
  • Lindy... 2011/02/13 01:50:21
    Lindy...
    +1
    I just wished they hadn't banned Phys. Ed. The kids are getting fatter because they get no exercise!
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Lindy... 2011/02/13 01:50:56
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    then they should bring it back
  • wtxwoman Lindy... 2011/02/13 05:13:12
    wtxwoman
    +1
    Who banned PE. It is required here and all over TX, I think.
  • Katherine 2011/02/13 01:48:56
    Katherine
    +2
    And parents should teach their children eating a healthy diet, not schools.

How militaristic. You can't eat that! We're getting rid of this food because you're fat and it's OUR responsibility to do something about it. Why not. They've repeatedly decided to circumvent the role of the parent and dictate everything anyway. Hey, schools are RUN by the government.....
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Katherine 2011/02/13 01:52:38
  • Katherine ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/02/13 01:55:25
    Katherine
    +1
    I would thumb you up, but I don't eat meat....... :(

(Still think diet is up to the person (or person raising said overweight child)
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Katherine 2011/02/13 01:58:20 (edited)
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    i was trying to be funny
    funny obese child
    children should not look like this funny children obese child funny children obese child

this is the result
    http://c.photoshelter.com/img... funny children result httpc photoshelter comimg adult couch  obese potato
  • Katherine ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/02/13 02:21:03
    Katherine
    +2
    Viva la bad individual choices!!!!!!

Last guy... wooh... Never gonna get laid!
  • wtxwoman Katherine 2011/02/13 05:14:29
    wtxwoman
    +2
    How could he?
  • wtxwoman ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/02/13 05:13:48
    wtxwoman
    +1
    That is so funny! LOL
  • CHUCK - Liberal in Seattle 2011/02/13 01:46:59
    CHUCK - Liberal in Seattle
  • daya 2011/02/13 01:42:46
    daya
    +4
    A school is a place of learning, and ideally, it should offer the best example of living. As such, junk food has no place. Students should be learning to grow, cook and share food at school. They should be fed good healthy food, not chemical synthetic garbage that has no health value whatsoever. Period.
  • Ellly.- 2011/02/13 01:31:03
    Ellly.-
    +2
    I don't live in America so i have no idea how eating at school works there.. but here, we don't have junk food in my school..
    But lately, there have been built several fast food places near my school... and students go grab a meal there instead of eating healthy school food :o
  • Ellly.- Ellly.- 2011/02/13 05:04:28
    Ellly.-
    +1
    PS: i still eat school food <_<
  • JCD aka... Ellly.- 2011/02/13 15:03:58
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    Excellent! So you live in Estonia? The only country I have visited in your area is Lithuania.
  • Ellly.- JCD aka... 2011/02/13 20:12:37
    Ellly.-
    +1
    Yes, I do :)
    Did you like Lithuania?
  • JCD aka... Ellly.- 2011/02/13 20:51:04
    JCD aka "biz"
    Yes, I even visited the country three times, I was invited to stay in Vilnius by a former student (I was her teacher in college, in Paris), I liked Lithuania, but I would like to visit Estonia too. And Latvia.
    The closest I got to Estonia was in 1981, when I visited Leningrad with one of my sons.
  • Ellly.- JCD aka... 2011/02/14 07:30:20
    Ellly.-
    +1
    That's cool.
    Make sure you visit Estonia and Latvia too :)
    I don't think there's much to see, but the forests and swamps and fen or whatever it is called are amazing :o
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Ellly.- 2011/02/13 15:09:40
  • Ellly.- ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/02/13 20:12:58
    Ellly.-
    wow..
  • Kim 2011/02/13 01:14:09 (edited)
    Kim
    +3
    I don't send my kids to school to eat junk food....it makes one lethargic and unable to concentrate...if I want them to have it, I will provide it for them. I have never liked the vending machines in the schools.....Healthy cafeteria food is all they shold have at school....none of my children are fat like that, and that kid in the picture below probably weighs more than I do....
  • RoseKitsune 2011/02/13 01:04:20
    RoseKitsune
    +2
    I don't think junk food should be banned from schools. It would cause many problems. I know at my school, if it were banned, there would be an uproar. We'd like to choose what we want. A better idea would be to teach classes about healthy foods. As Senator said... Watch what you ban.
  • BALANCED 2011/02/13 00:57:11
    BALANCED
    +1
    JUNK - anything that is regarded as worthless, meaningless, or contemptible; trash.
    FOOD - any nourishing substance that is eaten, drunk, or otherwise taken into the body to sustain life, provide energy, promote growth, etc.
    INCONGRUENT TERMS !

parents aren't doing their jobs -
    they are just as fat and lazy as the kids they raise to be like them -
    public schools are supported by tax dollars -
    the dollars should not be spent to please ALL PARENTS =
    because some/lots of parents are idiots !
  • Courtney 2011/02/13 00:20:19
    Courtney
    +1
    They took junk food out of my school so they could take junk food out of their school! :]
  • whipnet 2011/02/13 00:06:51
    whipnet
    +3
    Junk food was not an option when I was in school.

*
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... whipnet 2011/02/13 00:48:59
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    ive always lived to be healthy so i never ate junk but most inner cities are junk food in cafeitriea and vending machines
  • Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2011/02/13 00:02:31
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +4
    And they should teach students on healthy choices, and parents need to teach their children too. A group effort so to speak!
  • wtxwoman Melicio... 2011/02/13 05:16:10
    wtxwoman
    +2
    The parents don't know, that's the problem. The kids will have to teach the parents.
  • Senator 2011/02/12 23:59:57
    Senator
    +2
    I could see banning junk food sales in the schools. If a child brings junk from home, then that is the parents choice, and the famialy will have to deal with it for years to come. I as a child had a very high metabolism. I could eat as much of anything I choose, without gaining an ounce. In the land of the free... choose carefully just what you might ban, least we all no longer have any choices.
  • Astro-Boy PHAET 2011/02/12 23:56:26
    Astro-Boy PHAET
  • Prime Time Lime 2011/02/12 23:45:27 (edited)
    Prime Time Lime
    +4
    Yes.They did it in LA county. All soda machines should taken out and have machines healthy fruit juices ,nuts,dried fruits,and fresh fruit.The other snacks such as chips also should be removed.School cafeterias need to be completely revamped.NO PROCESSED foods,and all foods should be cooked from scratch.Fresh salads should be an option.If these foods are hard to get to only the determined will have to walk a long way to find junk food .There needs to be classes showing the ill health that one gets from fast food and junk food.
    Also fast food places should never be allowed in schools.I have seen them in colleges and they should be removed.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Prime T... 2011/02/12 23:46:48
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    i bet those students are healthier than a identical school with junk food only
  • Prime T... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/02/12 23:47:25
    Prime Time Lime
    +1
    Very much healthier.
  • wtxwoman Prime T... 2011/02/13 05:17:12
    wtxwoman
    +1
    That sounds great.
  • Anna E 2011/02/12 23:29:44
    Anna E
    +3
    Don't ban junkfood. Just teach kids about the effects of being obese and ban junk food dispensers in schools.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Anna E 2011/02/12 23:30:35
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    how about a class teaching students on healthy lifestyle options and seeing the damage junk food does to the body
    educate them and that gives them a choice if they decide to thats up to them
  • Anna E ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/02/12 23:36:36
    Anna E
    +1
    Exactly. Stuff like that, yup.
  • ♥Patricia♥ 2011/02/12 23:29:43
    ♥Patricia♥
    +1
    And the parents should let them eat healthy too

2014/07/25 01:36:43