Should indoor pyrotechnics be banned?

L.A. Times 2013/01/27 21:00:00
A fire at a nightclub in southern Brazil may have been caused by a flare lit on stage by a live band, according to witnesses to the blaze, which killed at least 231 people early Sunday. The flare, which may have been part of an on-stage pyrotechnics display, caused the roof of the nightclub to catch fire, witnesses said. Most of the victims died from asphyxiation and smoke inhalation, police said.

Authorities in the southern city of Santa Maria spent the morning rescuing survivors and wading through the tragic aftermath of one of the most deadly fires in a decade. Earlier reports had placed the death toll higher. There were indications that it could still rise.

pyrotechnics fire brazil

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-w...

• The Electrician 2013/01/29 23:05:09
    The Electrician
    +7
    We've had numerous night club fires here in the U. S. over the years and always have had high casualties. We also have some of the best fire safety codes in the world, but Fire and Smoke cause panic's and there in lies the problem. Pyrotechnics indoors is pure insanity.

• Alex Goldsmith 2013/02/04 14:21:45
    Alex Goldsmith
    its cool, but danger should be considered, and precautions should be taken
  • SoD 2013/01/31 22:49:42
    SoD
    I think all fun should be banned because it is typically way too dangerous.
  • democoach 2013/01/31 21:36:55
    democoach
    only reaosn why that fire started was because liberal clueless heads was in charge of controlling those fireworks, and because they don't have enough brai to do it safely they feel the need to "ban" it. im surprised walking hasn't been banned yet. retards
  • DS in Oak Ridge NC 2013/01/31 21:13:32
    DS in Oak Ridge NC
    Too many have died. It's time the UN started a Commission Against Indoor Fireworks. Yeah, right.
  • Peru 2013/01/31 21:13:30
    Peru
    Almost certainly it will be found out that the club violated normal safety rules. This is reminiscent of the Lima Utopía fire and I suspect the causes of the fatalities will be the same.

In the Utopia fire bartenders were doing fire tricks to impress customers, such as lighting lines of high alcoholic drinks, and lighting spray cans. When the fire ignited the ceiling some people thought it was part of the act, but the fire spread rapidly.

Problem 1. Many people tried to douse the fire by throwing their alcoholic drinks on the fire further fueling the flames.

Problem 2. There were about 1,000 people in the disco although regulations stipulated the maximum number of people was 400.

Problem 3. Security guards barricaded the doors in order to ensure that customers didn't leave without paying their tab.

Problem 4. There were no signs pointing to emergency exits nor were there fire extinguishers.

Problem 5. There was no sprinkler system as required. In fact, the disco was operating without a license.
  • FatherLiberty 2013/01/31 17:41:56
    FatherLiberty
    They make flares that are specifically for indoor use. The issue here was the band was cheap and didnt want to spend the extra money for the indoor product, so they purchases flares that were for outdoor use only. The other issue was that the security blocked people from leaving because they wanted them to pay their bill.
  • Kigan 2013/01/31 16:00:04
    Kigan
    If regulations for the use are put in place and followed, and procedures for emergencies are put in place and followed, this might not have happened.

Why is it that every single time something tragic happens, people move to put a bunch of bans in place?
  • Moodybloo70 2013/01/31 12:37:33
    Moodybloo70
    Duh !!!!!
  • william keegan 2013/01/31 10:25:02
    william keegan
    Duh!
  • zero resistance 2013/01/31 07:56:58
    zero resistance
    You'd think people would be smart enough to anticipate that setting off fireworks in a crowded bar is a bad idea, but you know somebody's going to do it if there isn't a law.

"The Station nightclub fire was the fourth deadliest nightclub fire in U.S. history, killing 100 people. The fire began at 11:07 PM EST, on Thursday, February 20, 2003, at The Station, a glam metal and rock and roll themed nightclub located ... in West Warwick, Rhode Island.

"The fire was caused by pyrotechnics..."

On January 16, 2013, Jack Russell scheduled a benefit show in February of 2013, commemorating the 10 year anniversary of the fire and announced that all proceeds would go toward the Station Fire Memorial Foundation. Upon hearing of the event, the Foundation asked that its name be taken off of it, stating the animosity still felt by many of the survivors and surviving families[30]. Jack Russell's management has stated that the show would be renamed and that the proceeds would go to another charity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki...

• BornToBeWild 2013/01/31 03:57:42 (edited)
    BornToBeWild
    +1
    but only in Nightclubs and bars! This nightclub didn't even have a sprinkler system! This nightclub wasn't equip for fiery shows light they booked! This nightclub acted like it was a concert hall and placed all those fans and customers in danger for their own greed and look what happened!
  • CorrectOpinion 2013/01/31 02:40:35
    CorrectOpinion
    The owners of clubs should not allow them. Only liberals want MORE LAWS to prevent everything. Common sense here. Fire doors would be beneficial now maybe.
  • COMALite J 2013/01/31 02:23:37 (edited)
    COMALite J
    +1
    Pyrotechnics is what set in motion the chain of events that led to the premature death of the greatest entertainment talent of our time, Michael Jackson.

• Jon Peter 2013/01/30 23:34:24
    Jon Peter
    +1
    A no brainier.
  • lurx: the soda jerk 2013/01/30 23:14:40 (edited)
    lurx: the soda jerk
    +1
    Plus there should always be some kind of functional fire exits in place.
  • mingo 2013/01/30 22:41:17
    mingo
    +1
    I definitely say yes
  • TooSweet 2013/01/30 22:17:31
    TooSweet
    +1
    People were not allowed to leave when the fire broke out because they hadn't payed their bill yet and subsequently died,that's the real tragedy.
  • Mog of War 2013/01/30 22:13:32
    Mog of War
    The issue at hand was the place not having enough exits, and safety protocols being outright ignored. Much tighter regulations are needed than exist, but an outright ban probably is not the answer for us... It is for THEM since they don't seem to have a clue as to what constitutes a fire safety code, but that's a different story.
  • firelooker 2013/01/30 21:43:12
    firelooker
    Or only performed by a licensed pyrotechnical expert. This fire is representative of one many years ago caused by a rock group doing the same thing. This time there were no exits clearly marked and security guards were forcing people to stay inside and be killed.
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2013/01/30 19:50:11
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    The pyrotechnics alone weren't the problem; it was the fact that the pyrotechnics were done in such an enclosed space, and the venue was filled double the capacity!

Please people, learn from this. If you go to a concert/event and it's too crowded, LEAVE. Always locate an emergency exit when you go somewhere, and know that the exit closest to you probably isn't the same doors you entered through.
  • firelooker ««Ginge... 2013/01/30 21:45:30
    firelooker
    The flares weren't supposed to be used inside the group used them in place of indoor flares cause they were cheaper.In the US soundproofing mtl must be fire resistant.
  • ««Ginge... firelooker 2013/01/31 00:01:03
    +2
    Gosh that's horrible. This reminds me of the station night club fire
  • andrew.wilson.123276 2013/01/30 18:20:39
    andrew.wilson.123276
    They should follow regulations because a majority of the time these fires occur because of stupid placement of the pyrotechnical devices,
  • Runaway ✩ 2013/01/30 18:16:22
    Runaway ✩
    +1
    Actually, people dumb enough to set of pyrotechnics indoors should be banned. God knows, there are more than enough stupid people in the world. Let's start removing all those warning labels on stupid stuff, so the percentage of stupid starts decreasing.
  • COMALite J Runaway ✩ 2013/01/31 01:59:21 (edited)
    COMALite J
    +1
    Unfortunately, people ignoring warning labels often kill other people (including smart ones), not just themselves.
  • Runaway ✩ COMALite J 2013/01/31 03:21:27
    Runaway ✩
    Uhhhh - no smart people remained in that club after the idiots on stage started fooling around with pyrotechnics. The smart people went straight for the exit. Those who remained long enough for the fire to get started, may not have been idiots, but they were most definitely NOT SMART.
  • COMALite J Runaway ✩ 2013/01/31 05:15:44 (edited)
    COMALite J
    +1
    Uhhhh — they weren’t allowed to leave. Security guards posted at all exists would not let anyone leave who had not fully paid the bill for all food, drinks, and cover charge. By the time they noticed the fire, it was too late.

At nightclubs in Brazil, it’s common for patrons to accumulate a bar tab throughout the night, which they pay in order to be able to exit.

• Runaway ✩ COMALite J 2013/01/31 14:38:40
    Runaway ✩
    Perhaps you misread my statement. I didn't say that only dumb people remained after the fire started. I say, only dumb people remained after the band pulled out their first sparkler, or whatever the hell they had.

When the pyrotechnics come out, I'm gone. If I have to throw a hundred dollar bill at the bouncer, I'm gone. I'm not waiting around to see when or how the fire starts.

Now - get this - I'm not even especially afraid of fire. I'm trained to deal with fires. I can, and I have, walked into steel tanks with diesel fuel blazing. There's several tricks to it - and I was taught all of them.

MY FEAR, specifically, is being in a crowd when something goes wrong. I don't like crowds at all, so I probably would never have been in a club with a legal capacity of ~600, when there were over 2000 people in it. I DAMN SURE would have found an exit when the band started playing with fire. No questions asked. Gone, gone, gone, and damn the cover charge, damn the girls I might have met, damn it all - I don't need ANY of it.
  • COMALite J Runaway ✩ 2013/02/01 22:14:03
    COMALite J
    I wasn’t aware that bouncers were also cashiers.
  • Runaway ✩ COMALite J 2013/02/04 16:38:32
    Runaway ✩
    Here, in the states, a bouncer is almost certainly not a cashier. In other places, things are done differently. If the bouncer's purpose is to ensure that you aren't running off with an unpaid tab, I'll toss him more money than I could possibly owe, just to color myself "gone". Hey, I can work with cultural differences, I've done it enough!

Did you know that in much of the rest of the world, when you walk into a "men's room", there's just a hole in the floor to whizz in? No urinals, no stool, just a hole in the floor! That was the first of many little shocks I got in my travels. ;^)
  • This is W³ 2013/01/30 17:57:33
    This is W³
    When will society ever learn from past tragedies? As the 10-year remembrance of The Station nightclub tragedy in West Warwick, RI---in which 100 lives were lost---is coming up on February 20th, we have still yet to learn our lesson and we keep dooming ourselves to repeat it again. Terrible, just terrible...

• firelooker This is W³ 2013/01/30 21:48:20
    firelooker
    In the US the NFPA has set standards for nightclubs to prevent these kind of happenings. All sorts of safety regs have to be followed. But what happens is nightclub owners decide they don't have to follow those regs & disaster happens.
  • This is W³ firelooker 2013/01/30 22:16:18
    This is W³
    The Darderian brothers, who owned The Station nightclub, were not under the auspices of the NFPA when the 20 Feb 2003 fire occurred. It was only after the tragedy that the NFPA Code and Standards "enacted tough new code provisions for fire sprinklers and crowd management in nightclub-type venues."

http://nfpatoday.blog.nfpa.or...

The other caveat was that The Station was a very old establishment, built long before fire codes in West Warwick were enacted. Thus, the club was grandfathered from those codes through exemption.
  • firelooker This is W³ 2013/01/31 01:04:39
    firelooker
    You are correct
  • Diane Spraggs Yates 2013/01/30 17:33:12
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    I believe in choice so people should beware the dangers when counting the cost of a night out? I do not go to these places so why should I ban anything I am not a part of-- but was sad to hear of the lost of lives they made a poor choice of a place for entertainment-- the price was their lives --I believe I would pass on going to this type of place !
  • MsTlynne #NoJusticeNoPeace 2013/01/30 17:07:14
    MsTlynne #NoJusticeNoPeace
    The latest reports as of this morning (01/30) indicate that the band purchased OUTDOOR pyrotechnics for use indoors becasue the they were cheaper ($1 each as compared to the price for the indoor type, about $20 each).
  • firelooker MsTlynn... 2013/01/30 21:48:58
    firelooker
    +1
    exactly
  • JessDeCristo 2013/01/30 17:03:43
    JessDeCristo
    Yes, specialy if they are indoors, it's a stupid thing. Why don't they use stroke ligthning?
  • Luke 2013/01/30 16:56:16
    Luke
    well DUH!!!! With all the LED systems out there ther is no need for pyro indoors anymore.
  • RJeffreySavlov 2013/01/30 16:32:09
    RJeffreySavlov
    +2
    If you have a quality performer, pyrotechnics should not be necessary. Unfortunately today's bands and entertainers suck so they must have all types of distractions so patrons won't know how really bad they are.

2014/11/28 12:21:13