Should guns have micro stamps and be controlled by the U.N.?

Heather ~Warrior Princess~ 2010/07/26 21:28:02
Yes because...
No because....
EDITORIAL: U.N. threatens Second and First Amendments
One-worlders are going after your guns

The United Nations is holding secret closed meetings to work out a global arms trade treaty. The agreement, which could be finished by 2012, is a threat to Americans' Second and First Amendment rights.

"Some type of micro-stamping regulations seems all but inevitable. It is very, very likely," the Heritage Foundation's Theodore R. Bromund, who tracks the U.N., told The Washington Times. "Restrictions on trade between private individuals are somewhat less than 50-50, but you surely can't rule that out. Some kind of gun registration and licensing system is an extremely likely probability." Registration proposals cover guns as well as individual rounds of ammunition.

The Obama administration strongly supports the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty and no doubt will use the process to push for gun-control regulations that it can't get through Congress otherwise.

A lot of baloney is floating in Turtle Bay. Gun registration is being promoted despite evidence that the costly bureaucratic system has been a complete failure in solving any crimes or stopping criminals from getting access to guns everywhere it's been tried. "None of these treaties have a relationship to reality," Mr. Bromund explains. "Terrorists are still going to have access to guns because governments give them guns, and they are still going to be able to give them guns." As an example, he pointed out, "The FARC fighting in Colombia get their guns from Venezuela."

As with everything that goes down at the U.N.'s headquarters on Manhattan's East River, America will pick up a disproportionate share of the tab to implement the treaty, with all those countries considered most "in need" taking another free ride. This is counterproductive even without the usual fraud and waste that hobble U.N. programs.

Gun rights aren't the only thing would-be globocops are targeting in the treaty. There is a U.N. discussion paper advancing "the reduction of violence in the media and in video games" as well as "sustained efforts at reeducation and reorientation of [member state] citizens." Whatever the plan, that can't be good for the First Amendment.

Any U.N. Arms Trade Treaty will undermine freedom around the world. The right to bear arms is an individual's protection against oppression anywhere. It took herculean efforts by George W. Bush's administration to thwart this U.N. power grab a few years ago. Unfortunately, we now have a left-wing White House working to make this dangerous treaty a reality.

Read More: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jul/23/un...

• CommonSense 2010/08/03 18:43:54
    No because....
    CommonSense
    The US should stop funding the criminal UN. It is rife with fraud and graft. Any organization on which China and Saudi Arabia are on the Human Rights Council is a sham. We should withdraw and boot the headquarters out of NY.
  • Red Branch 2010/08/03 16:34:18 (edited)
    No because....
    Red Branch
    No because the UN seeks to destroy the US quicker than America's hard left libs.

The UN has enforced a gun ban on the ones called rebels in the Sudan. The result is 3 million people killed since the Islamic terr govt took control of the Sudan in 1989.
    As a govt recognized by the UN they can obtain all the weapons they need to continue the killing. 4.5 million have been driven from their homes and this does not even begin to account for the hundred's of thousands of rapes and other violence.

This is Islam at its best.

If anyone wonders why my numbers are so much higher than the Moslem apologist MSM, it's because they only report the Darfur Region, the last area of the Sudan to be cleansed.

edit spelling
  • Vieuphoria 2010/07/30 02:21:44
    Yes because...
    Vieuphoria
    A question.

If the world was at total peace, would you all still feel the need to own a gun?
  • Heather... Vieuphoria 2010/07/30 02:24:09
    Heather ~Warrior Princess~
    i dont own one and dont want to
  • Vieuphoria Heather... 2010/07/30 12:58:53
    Vieuphoria
    then why answer =P
  • Heather... Vieuphoria 2010/07/30 18:04:40
    Heather ~Warrior Princess~
    +2
    it is a constitutional right to bear arms. DUH
  • Vieuphoria Heather... 2010/07/30 18:58:50 (edited)
    Vieuphoria
    yeah but logic does dictates otherwise
  • Red Branch Vieuphoria 2010/08/03 16:35:38
    Red Branch
    There is nothing wrong with her logic, nor her question.
  • Vieuphoria Red Branch 2010/08/03 17:13:05
    Vieuphoria
    I did not say there was.
  • Red Branch Vieuphoria 2010/08/03 23:50:11
    Red Branch
    "yeah, but logic does dictate otherwise" translation please.
  • Vieuphoria Red Branch 2010/08/03 23:53:35
    Vieuphoria
    You said it was a constitutional right to bear arms... and i said logic dictates otherwise. Suggesting... although the consitution says so... logic would say guns cause more problems.
  • Red Branch Vieuphoria 2010/08/04 00:20:16
    Red Branch
    got it.

Guns in the hand of honest citizens prevent about 2.5 million crimes a year, most with out firing a shot.

Put the criminals in prison. Remove the illegal aliens, including gang members, seal the border to prevent the entrance of drugs and illegals.
  • Vieuphoria Red Branch 2010/08/04 13:32:20
    Vieuphoria
    But coming from England... where there are no guns really. There is very few gun crimes. Obviously the odd situation occurs, but every country has problems. I would feek si unsafe if i knew everyone around me had a gun, i've only ever seen hunting guns. So iif i suddenly found ou eeryone had them, i'd be afraid to leave the house. I gues its a social thing.... but i just dont see the need.
  • Red Branch Vieuphoria 2010/08/04 16:02:15
    Red Branch
    Then don't buy any guns.

I understand crime has really increased since the final restrictions were put of firearms as well as the restricitions on self defense of any sort.
  • Vieuphoria Red Branch 2010/08/04 20:41:36
    Vieuphoria
    From the perspective i have its largely not self defense. It's paranoia... If you took away the guns and trusted more in the police i think it would be better. Who knows.
  • Red Branch Vieuphoria 2010/08/04 20:44:10
    Red Branch
    I know, I've heard that line of crap from the politicians before, Usually as they are surrounded by the protection provided by various law enforcement officers as well as their own private security. Then they sleep behind several thousands of security on their estates.
  • Vieuphoria Red Branch 2010/08/04 20:48:36
    Vieuphoria
    All i think is. For someone to own a gun they either have to A) like it, and feel powerful with it, or B) are scared and paranoid. I honestly dont see many other reasons for wanting to own one.... beside hunting etc (but im a vegetarian so im not too fond... But that being said it needs to be done, meh different arguement) but to own a gun for protection shows a great lack of faith in your neighbours, peers, yourself and the police. If you own a gun, i would assume the potential for death rises a heapload.
  • Red Branch Vieuphoria 2010/08/04 21:11:26
    Red Branch
    My guns have never killed anyone and I hope it stays that way. However, when some dirtbag comes through my door, I do not want the only person with a gun to be the beforementioned dirtbag.

I look as it like an insurance policy. I have fire insurance on my house, but I don't want my house to burn down so I can collect on it.

If the police want protect me, I'll let them. However, it they let someone come through my door with a double bladed axe, then I take over.

I'll bet there has been never a womn that is thinking, "Thank God I don't have a gun as she is being raped".

It is like an insurance policy, that I don't want to use. I am not paranoid. There are no delusions of grandeur because my guns are my guns, in otherwords, I don't show them off or advertise.

It is hard to believe that the US got the idea of the right to bear arms from the Brits. The Brit govt used to require everyone to own weapons in times of civil unrest. The more important people in town were required to have enough weapons to outfit several men for the same reason.

But you guys began losing your right to possess firearms after WWI because your govt did not trust the veterans comming home from the war.

This anti-gun/anti-private ownership of weapons goes back a long ways. Henry IV, King of Franc...

This anti-gun/anti-private ownership of weapons goes back a long ways. Henry IV, King of France. was assassinated with a knife. In there mistaken insanity they banned the double bladed knives. I don't know why because he was killed with a butcher knife.
  • Vieuphoria Red Branch 2010/08/04 21:27:59
    Vieuphoria
    I would put that down to after WWII the country was very united. The country had a very stiff upper lip attitude, and a real community spirit. There was no need for guns. We had just been in a war, where men and women were killed all over the world. So i guess the banning of guns was only logical at the time. Hell it's still logical. It works for us. Knife crime in the cities was big recently... but its on the decline again. It was a dangerous fad that people quickly realised was stupid.

How many axe murders have knocked on your door in the past? In my limited experience i think none... few preachy christians.... but no axe murderers. So i would have no reason to own one. The few brutal murders that do happen in the country are few and far between... so everyone owning a gun would exaccerbate problems.

Maybe that could be a reason for people feeling they need them is the lack of community?
  • Red Branch Vieuphoria 2010/08/04 21:33:40
    Red Branch
    While no one has done that to me, it has happened. I have been called several things in my life but victim is not one of the. Like I said, I hope it never happens to me or mine.

I have hunted since I was old enough.

As far as I know the govt banned guns because they did not trust the returning military. They mistakenly
    viewed them as blood thirsty killers.

While it is a lack of community. Much of the crime is caused by people moving though area where I live. The cities are so big that there is not much of a community there.
  • Icedrag... Vieuphoria 2010/08/03 17:09:32
    Icedragon1969
    +1
    You bet I'd still feel the need. The right to bear arms isn't entirely about fighting off a foreign threat. The writings of many of the Founding Fathers made it clear that the right to keep and bear arms was important so that citizens could protect themselves from their own government should it become necessary. I'm not preaching revolution or in the mood to start one right now, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't if the government truly did turn tyrannical as has happened in Germany, Russia, China, Cambodia,.... And you can say that can't happen here all you like, but we're no more, or less, human than those other countries are. Read a book called "The Wave" in high school. A true story about a teacher who tried to demonstrate that we Americans are just as susceptible to a Hitler type scenario as anyone. He succeeded all too well.

So you can keep your assurances that our government could never go down that path. I'll keep my firearms just in case.
  • Icedragon1969 2010/07/28 02:38:58
    No because....
    Icedragon1969
    +3
    -NOTHING- within the U.S. should be controlled by the U.N.
  • ActionJackson 2010/07/27 12:32:04 (edited)
    No because....
    ActionJackson
    +2
    1) We don't want the UN to have any more power than it already does.
    2) I am a legal citizen with a legal, Constitutional right to own a gun. I abide by the law so there is no need to track my guns by any means.
    3) Don't be fooled by the guise that tracking is simply for public safety. The ultimate goal of the Globalist Left is to confiscate all means of self protection thus giving all power to the State and removing all power from the People.
    4) "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" Thomas Jefferson
  • oldsalt 2010/07/27 00:06:44
    No because....
    oldsalt
    +2
    We are a sovereign nation and we have the 2d Amendment. I know of no other country that has an equivalent to our 2d Amendment. If their gonna really pull this BS they'll have to come and get my guns,which are located in a very rural area of rural state. I'll take my chances of going before a jury.
  • Tiger99 2010/07/26 23:18:33
    Tiger99
    Whay exactly is micro-stamping a gun?
  • Heather... Tiger99 2010/07/27 00:12:32
    Heather ~Warrior Princess~
    +1
    no idea the article doesn't say.
  • santa6642 2010/07/26 22:39:42
    No because....
    santa6642
    +1
    A free society needs to be able to defend it self and under no ones control
  • Eddie 2010/07/26 22:12:14
    Eddie
    +1
    Not gonna happen... undecided gonna
  • JackoClubs Eddie 2010/07/28 09:10:10
    JackoClubs
    +1
    Whether or not it would actually be imposed is another matter. It's not paranoia if they're actually working on it.
  • Evil 1 2010/07/26 22:09:46
    No because....
    Evil 1
    +1
    We can't trust those in charge of our own government so why would we ever give the idiots in the UN any power over us.
  • Red Branch Evil 1 2010/08/03 16:37:23
    Red Branch
    There is a well crafted plan to destroy the US and this is part of it.
    Illegal immigration is another part of it.
  • George B 2010/07/26 22:08:28
    No because....
    George B
    Like this is even a valid question considering all that's been debate for how many years now?
  • wolf sloan 2010/07/26 21:50:12
    wolf sloan
    I can understand it as an aid to law enforcement but I can see the potential abuse of governmental power
  • George B wolf sloan 2010/07/26 22:05:20
    George B
    You mean like the Nazis did during WWII? IF law enforcement and the goverment are the only two entities allowed to posses guns where does that leave you and me? Have you read George Orwell's 1984 ?
  • wolf sloan George B 2010/07/26 22:07:02 (edited)
    wolf sloan
    Like I'd answered. Undecided on it. Seems more cons than pros, but what do I know? Yes I read 1984. I doesn't mean I can always recognize who the Thought Police are.
  • George B wolf sloan 2010/07/26 22:11:01 (edited)
    George B
    they're the onesasking you if you have a permit to own a gun
  • wolf sloan George B 2010/07/26 22:12:38
    wolf sloan
    got you
  • JackoClubs wolf sloan 2010/07/28 09:10:40
    JackoClubs
    +1
    'Potetntial"?

2014/12/22 19:18:18