Should Gender Reassignment Surgery Be Allowed for Inmates?

AdriHead 2012/09/17 22:19:25
A judge is being both praised and condemned because of a landmark ruling in which he has ordered gender reassignment surgery to an inmate in Massachusetts. Roger Kosilek, who now goes by Michelle, was born male but has been taking hormone treatments and currently stays at an all-male prison.

Supporters say that the ruling is a great example of recognizing that the surgery is a legitimate treatment for gender-identity disorder while critics call it an abuse of taxpayer money. Do you think it's OK for inmates to get gender reassignment surgery with taxpayer dollars?

CBSNEWS.COM reports:
U.S. District Judge Mark Wolf ruled Tuesday in the case of Michelle Kosilek, who was born as a man but has received hormone treatments and lives as a woman in an all-male prison.
gender reassignment surgery

Read More: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57506606-50...

• Chukroast 2012/09/17 22:39:48
    Chukroast
    +25
    Not only NO, but HELL NO. It's bad enough we taxpayers have to foot the bill for his/her food, clothing and shelter (and basic medical care), but it's beyond my understanding why any judge would rule that a felon's feelings are important enough to soak the taxpayers for a very expensive operation.

• Erinite 2012/11/19 15:29:28
    Erinite
    Not with taxpayer money, anyways.
  • ✞Knight of Honor 2012/10/11 21:54:19
    ✞Knight of Honor
    It shouldn't be allowed in any context.
  • Osaka 2012/09/24 03:04:50
    Osaka
    They'll cost the state money.
  • Bureauc 0Bamao 2012/09/22 03:13:38
    Bureauc 0Bamao
    Paid for with Tax Payer's Money? HELL F#@KING NO!
  • madsam 2012/09/21 19:39:29
    madsam
    +1
    Why would I be forced to pay for it!!!Let them get out, get a job and PAY FOR IT THEMSELVES!!!!!
  • madsam madsam 2012/09/21 19:42:54
    madsam
    +2
    Maybe the judge needs a removal of head from butt surgery.
  • Red Branch 2012/09/21 19:18:27
    Red Branch
    Never, not even if the convict pays for it with honest money.
  • CarDriver 2012/09/21 18:29:26
    CarDriver
    +1
    We do this, and anyone who wants the operation, but can't pay for it can just commit a crime and have tax payers pay for it.
  • Matt 2012/09/21 18:24:55
    Matt
    if they want to pay for it themselves. Is Bubba considered gay if he rapes a woman that used to be a man? Tax payers should not be forced to pay for unnecessarry medical procedures.
  • madsam Matt 2012/09/21 19:43:41
    madsam
    He is in jail, so he has no money.
  • Matt madsam 2012/09/21 20:20:40
    Matt
    +1
    well then I guess he shouldn't get the surgery
  • gonzo 2012/09/21 18:18:44
    gonzo
    +1
    Let freak show pay for its own operation. Why should anyones tax dollars go for stuff like this? Just one more reason to defeat Obozo in November, because he supports all these freaks coming out of the woodwork. Besides is this freako trying to become a woman to make up for the one he killed that is no longer in this world? Judge ought to go to prison for even considering this, if the judge wants he to be a she, let the judge pay for it.
  • Space Invader 2012/09/21 18:13:20
    Space Invader
    these are criminals for goodness sakes..PUNISHMENT..not lifestyles of the Rich and Famous!
  • Sass 2012/09/21 17:55:59
    Sass
    I don't want my tax dollars paying for that. BTW---Dude, you make an ugly woman!
  • Mo 2012/09/21 17:38:30
    Mo
    Don't think it's ok but it also leaves a lot of issues unaddressed. Besides, Mr. Michelle looks very unhappy. I doubt this will serve any good purpose.
  • madsam Mo 2012/09/21 19:44:57
    madsam
    What prison will the put him in after? The ladies prison?
  • Mo madsam 2012/09/22 00:04:56
    Mo
    Exactly.
  • Robin B 2012/09/21 17:00:29
    Robin B
    I am sure he could get a cell buddy to lop it off for him!
  • upsevendown 2012/09/21 15:12:30
    upsevendown
    No. People in prison are in PRISON. They are not at a resort where all of their needs are met. They are in prison. I found out recently that once a person has a reassignment surgery they can have their birth certificate changed to reflect that they were BORN as their new gender. To me this is a travesty of justice. This is rewriting history. Changing the facts. It is wrong.
  • NakedRei 2012/09/21 15:11:34
    NakedRei
    Prison is supposed to be a punishment, after all.
  • Rdtourist 2012/09/21 14:43:26
    Rdtourist
    +1
    Who the hell is funding reassignment pretreatments (hormones and shrink time) in the first place? Once you open that door, the Commonwealth is sort of putting the cart before the horse and accepting an out of control situtation.
  • JennaMeadows7694 2012/09/21 14:39:52
    JennaMeadows7694
    Dammit I meant no! I live in MA and I am pissed that my taxes will be going to pay for this murder's reassignment surgery. Someone should just do him in already.
  • Tax Man 2012/09/21 14:26:08
    Tax Man
    +1
    Prisoners give up all their rights while serving their sentence. Once they are released and off parole/probation then they can pay for this themselves. The taxpayers should NEVER pay for anything of this nature for any prisoner.
  • JustCallMeBub 2012/09/21 14:01:11 (edited)
    JustCallMeBub
    +1
    Lets see this gent kills his wife because he has mental issues, but when he cries out for a sex change he's now considered normal by one confused judge concerning life in general.. If he's considered born this way, and then he's gets a sex change, then why change what he's got with what he was born with? RIGHT He should also be considered born to murder. Both must be a normal life style. RIGHT" If a man goes after little boys for pleasure surely he was born the way he is as well, He sais he can't stop much like a gay person says that they can't stop their feelings, or how about Jeffery Dahmer he claimed he couldn't stop either, or even help him self, surely it can also be said that he was born the way he was as well.. If a person looks down at what he sees this is what he or she gets then it's obvious they were born this way. Serial Killers can't stop what they are doing either, shouldn't they be considered born this way as well? I mean lets be fair here, lets don't give one a pat on the back and not the other, Have a little compassion here surely they all are.. Born to kill, to lie, to cheat, to still, to lust, the list goes on and on and on it's never ending. I personally will not pat any of them on the back they all have issues

• DeborahLakeHelen 2012/09/21 13:06:48
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +3
    Why should taxpayers pay to encourage perversion, and fulfill the fantasies of demented human beings? Incarceration is about PUNNISHMENT, not about getting the desires of your twisted heart.
  • Claise 2012/09/21 09:26:19
    Claise
    yep
  • apaтнeтιc lycanтнrope 2012/09/21 08:05:26
    apaтнeтιc lycanтнrope
    +5
    Pay for it yourself when you're not in jail. I understand it sucks having that sort of disorder, and getting surgery is completely up to you, but prisoners are pretty much pampered already, from the expense of taxpayers. You want that surgery or continue hormonal treatment? Stay out of jail.
  • Jesferkicks 2012/09/21 07:45:42
    Jesferkicks
    +4
    What a waste of tax dollars. The judge needs to go.
  • Somkey the Hores 2012/09/21 07:15:39
    Somkey the Hores
    +3
    NO. Prison is not supposed to be a country club.
  • Big Bird Somkey ... 2012/09/21 16:04:52
    Big Bird
    What country club offers "gender reassignment" as a part of the membership package?!?!
    I would like to know, because that country club probably offers all kinds of other very expensive "perks" to the members!
    I want those other "perks"!!!
  • Sass Big Bird 2012/09/21 18:07:08
    Sass
    +1
    Some prisons now have a "country club" atmosphere compared with what prisons should be. No TVs, no porn, bring back the chain gangs. Make prison what a prison is supposed to be. Prison--A public building used for the confinement of people convicted of serious crimes.
  • Pronatalist Pronatalist 2012/09/21 05:40:40
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    +3
    Why should government and taxpayers be involved in a person's sexual perversions? One does NOT get to choose their sex, but rather, it is ASSIGNED by God.
  • Grammar... Pronata... 2012/09/21 14:39:22
    Grammar Freak
    Interestingly enough, there are a lot of babies born every year without clear gender. Doctors usually ask the parents what they want them to do, usually based on the percentage of reproductive organs present, & normally, those babies receive surgery within days.
    Very often, the parents choose incorrectly... sometimes based on emotion or desire ...or just because it was too soon to choose.

The idea that everyone is "assigned" a gender "by God," is a bit odd, to say the least. That puts all those mistakes & things on God as well. Do you think God makes mistakes?

Don't get me wrong.
    I think the judge should be fired immediately. I don't even like most transgendered people.. the thought pretty much grosses me out because it's most often old geezers who are bored or whatever. I make exception for those children who went through the scenario described above.
    We have no business paying for such procedures.
    I'm also confused as to why they allow him to continue living in a men's prison.
  • Pronata... Grammar... 2012/09/22 05:13:46
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    As a taxpayer, I should NOT be asked to pay for people's perversions.

Can't sex be determined for sure, by a person's genetic makeup? Do they have the 2 X chromosomes, or a X and a Y? Which sex pervades every cell, and so probably isn't so much by which sexual organs somebody thinks they see, in these supposedly rare cases of which you mention? This could be a question to ask to a moral and competent doctor, who knows something about this?

I often can't tell by looking at a baby's face, which sex a tiny baby is, but their parents will quickly tell you if you ask. Seems like the sexual characteristics, sometimes take some time to become more differentiated and apparent?

It seems as if demons are trying to stir up confusion and trouble, by telling people lies. Nor do we need perverts in the government monopoly schools, trying to mess our children up, telling little boys, that they might really be girls, or vise-verso.
  • Grammar... Pronata... 2012/09/22 11:16:39
  • Pronata... Grammar... 2012/09/22 11:48:47
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    1) The parents, or their insurance company? Well I suppose you are right, even if this is a factor, it would be with new children, and doesn't have much of anything relevant to do with with the original discussion thread news story. Perhaps that person was trying to distract me or something?

2) Even if so, the taxpayer should NOT be involved in people's stupid perversions. Much "medical care" is denied to have any coverage by medical or insurance plans, because something has to be "elective." Not all possible treatments that can possibly be done, make much sense economically or as a medical "need." Some individuals themselves can pay for, because it's "elective" or cosmetic.

3) Well there certainly is a huge problem with activist wicked judges who are trying to corrupt our culture. Apparently, not enough judges are being held accountable for their behavior, and more judges need to be fired, and even their crap decisions reversed or invalidated somehow.

What is happening is, we are in wicked times, and people are falling away from faith, as foretold would happen in the latter days, by the Bible.

Humans are curious creatures, and not so much like the mere animals. I think in some instances, birthrates may be increasing as human populations steadily grow vaster and denser, as in over...

Humans are curious creatures, and not so much like the mere animals. I think in some instances, birthrates may be increasing as human populations steadily grow vaster and denser, as in overcrowded shantytowns, there's just so many people, there's no "escape" from one's spouse for rhythm to possibly work, and the population in such areas is so incredibly dense, that the natural music of neighbors reproducing, probably encourages most all families to naturally grow large. And of course, baby booms are naturally "contagious," awaken reproductive yearnings as babies seem to be just everywhere. And do we really see homosexual behavior where the populations are densest, or where the cultures are rotten, population density isn't really so high, and people almost have more material wealth (and liberal stupidity) than they know what to do with?

With humans, nature says to increase the population more and more, regardless whether we supposedly "need to," because people have a high ability to ADAPT. So I say, be more moral, satisfy powerful reproductive urges, by responsible stable marriages, and let families grow freely and naturally, everywhere throughout the increasingly populous world, so that more and more people can experience life.

I seriously doubt your theory that there's more "indeterminate gender" babies as the population rises. Especially as a percentage. Isn't it more likely, that parents respected whichever gender their baby was, so we never heard of such nonsense, until after "the pill," and sexual deviancy went crazy, because the people are in rebellion against God? You don't do crap like trying to "change gender" when being obedient to God's commandment to people to Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. To spread human life, you engage in the natural procreative sex, of whichever sex that you are, after responsibly getting marriage, for stability and to keep out the nasty sexual diseases of sin. If you have a womb, you welcome it to become "busy" growing babies. If you are a man, allow and respect your wife becoming frequently pregnant, and don't run off on parenting responsibilities, and don't use any means of "birth control."

inside overcrowded shantytown shack
  • Grammar... Pronata... 2012/09/22 11:54:55
    Grammar Freak
    The Bible has nothing to do with this situation.
    It's a matter of financial responsibility... whose is it? It isn't the taxpayers', for damned sure.
  • Pronata... Grammar... 2012/09/22 13:25:29
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    The Bible has everything to do with everything, because the earth is the Lord's. Psalm 24:1. Why is it almost every time people disagree with reason, they always seems to have a problem with accepting the Bible?

Do you really think that matters such as increasing human population, have little relevance to the Bible? Not only did the Bible foretell today's "burgeoning billions," ("thousands of millions" Genesis 24:60), but "religious" or biblical reasons are among the many reasons parents cite for their "religious objections" against using contraceptives, or for supporting their perhaps natural desire for large families. Romans 1 clearly speaks against homosexuality, but I think Christians should check it again, for it also seems to speak against their "family planning" contrary-to-nature, methods.

Yes, I do agree that the taxpayer is over-burdened. Most of what our government does, is totally unconstitutional and thus highly illegal.

large families psalm 127
  • Grammar... Pronata... 2012/09/24 10:00:37
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    In the United States, we have this Amendment to our constitution that states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ... ." So, because our nation is secular, though an individual's personal beliefs might enter into his/her decision(s), it is vital that the priorities remain practical & fiscal. In this case, whatever the guy wants or needs to make him happy is not the financial responsibility of the tax payer. It does not affect his sentence or criminal record.
    The judge needs to go... clearly.

Your religious beliefs are yours, not everyone else's.
    They do not have thing one to do with a case like this one, nor do they belong in our courts.
    Until our nation becomes a theocracy, it is still a free republic (at least in theory). The separation of church & state applies directly to situations such as this one.
  • RawRsaurus Pronata... 2012/11/03 05:29:37
    RawRsaurus
    Sex does not determine gender. Gender identity determines gender. I'd hate to see the way you treat those who are intersex or women who have the misfortune of developing XY chromosomes or men with Klinefelter sydnrome (XXY chromosomes).

2014/08/21 09:48:53