Should Gay People Have Equal Rights?

Che Guevara - Hero 2010/11/29 17:34:44
Related Topics: LGBT, Gay
Yes, I think gay people should have equal rights.
No, I don't think gay people should have equal rights.
-The right to marry who they chose

-The right to openly serve in the military

-The right to adopt

These are just a few of the issues where the LGBT community does not have equal rights.

• batesboy 2013/02/04 05:12:02
    batesboy
    I dont get why we dont have equal rights. I quote from the decleration of independence "We hold these thruths to be self-evident, THAT ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL" so we should make America stand by their words and give every man equal rights. if gays cant get married, then straights shouldnt.
  • ajay.alvarado 2012/10/17 18:24:01
    ajay.alvarado
    +1
    This should'nt even be a question god created all of us because he wanted a little bit of everything in this world. I believe this is kinda obvious people.
  • Jimmie Jordan 2012/03/18 01:34:56
    Jimmie Jordan
    +2
    everyone should have equal rights. if their rights are refused then EVERY ONES rights should be revoked and refused.
  • HL Mencken 2011/02/10 07:21:02
    HL Mencken
    Well yeah . . . next question.
  • annadaniarndt 2011/01/17 23:03:59
    annadaniarndt
    Everyone should have equal rights. This is getting old.
  • BlunderWoman ~ FTGOP~ BN 0 2010/12/29 19:32:41
    BlunderWoman ~ FTGOP~ BN 0
    +1
    Of course they should have equal rights.
  • Zamboni - Madoka Magica fan... 2010/12/25 09:05:05
    Zamboni - Madoka Magica fan BN0
    +1
    I don't doubt it.
  • texasred 2010/12/18 04:33:07
    texasred
    +2
    I don't care who gays marry and I don't care if they serve in the military. So long as they don't try to force their lifestyle on me.. I believe in live and let live. But the verdict is still out on the right to adopt. I'm not able to get my head around that one. I still have this thing that if homosexuality was natural/normal, then all men and women would each have a penis and a vagina.
  • cinnast... texasred 2010/12/20 13:29:25
    cinnastitch
    +5
    I'm not legally adopted but I wish I could be sometimes. I live with 2 moms & siblings & I just wanted to say it has made our family more open in talking about everything. It isn't about what is between someones legs, it is how their brains are wired and what is in their hearts.
  • texasred cinnast... 2010/12/20 17:17:21
    texasred
    +1
    I'm happy for you, cinnastitch. It may take me some time to change my mind, if I ever do, but as long as you're happy, that's the most important thing.
  • Thomas Rea: Gay Christian A... 2010/12/17 21:49:12
    Thomas Rea: Gay Christian Advocate
    +2
    Why should straight people have all the fun?
  • Heather ~Warrior Princess~ 2010/12/15 03:00:54
    Heather ~Warrior Princess~
    +6
    Everyone has equal rights. EVERYONE can marry someone of the opposite sex. That is equal rights, what the gays want is special rights. BTW for all of you who slept thru history class, marriage was started in the church. It is a RELIGIOUS INSTITUTION that has been infringed upon by the government...they started charging for "marriage licences" in the 1920's to stop blacks from marrying whites. When they realized that they could make money off of marriage...they decided to step in. Lets hear it for the fed's taking over and spitting on the Constitution...
  • Chiron Heather... 2010/12/15 04:56:50
    Chiron
    +5
    Equal rights means being able to marry the person of your choice. The Supreme Court said so back in 1967.

Why can't some heteros understand this? Why do they insist on being so childishly selfish and demanding to keep marriage to themselves?

Allowing gays to marry in no way changes the institution of marriage. Straights can still get married, no change.

Bigots will still be able to complain about gay marriage. No change.

And ask the anti-gay marriage crowd this question: If a gay couple gets married today, precisely how will your life or your marriage change? Be specific!

Fact is, there will be no change.

So why are they fighting selfishly to keep marriage to themselves?

As for "spitting on the Constitution", that's what the selfish straights do. The 14th Amendment, Section 1, specifricallly says that all are to be treated equally under the law. Marriage is governed by laws in this country. So applying marriage laws in a discriminatory manner -- allowing only certain people access to marriage laws -- defies the Constitution.

And marriage is first and foremost a legal matter. Atheists get married. No religion nor any figures are necessary for a marriage to occur. Heteros can and do get married in cheesy and quickie storefront "chapels" on the strip in Las Vegas, sometimes with an Elvis impersonator officiating.
  • cinnast... Chiron 2010/12/20 13:34:52
    cinnastitch
    +2
    I believe the problem is the people who are against gay marriage don't see it as a legal matter. They ignore that or push it aside and have tried to make it into a moral issue. I never thought about atheists getting married but that seems like a good point.
  • Chiron cinnast... 2010/12/20 23:49:32
    Chiron
    +4
    You are 100% correct.

Most, if not all, of those opposed to gay marriage see the issue only through their lens of religion. That's unfortunate for two reasons.

First, not all religious denominations are against homosexual marriage. Many will even perform a gay marriage ceremony.

Second, marriage is a legal matter before it could ever become a religious matter. One needs a state-issued marriage license to get married -- then in most jurisdictions a judge or a justice of the peace can perform the ceremony. If the couple chooses, the ceremony may be conducted by a religious figure -- but that's completely optional.

And I have yet to receive a clear, compelling answer to this most basic of questions:

If I married my partner tomorrow, how would your marriage, or marriage plans, be irretrievably shattered?

When the religious zealots run out of logic, they turn to trumped up moral issues -- but that's something they subject themselves to. It is inappropriate to subject others to one's own narrow morality.
  • Usti Wa... Chiron 2010/12/25 09:17:57
    Usti Waya BN-0
    +2
    Thank you, you have more patience than I do at the bigoted answers tonight, my friend. I find it just so hypocritical that good christians can be so bigoted. Season Greetings to you and your loved ones.
  • John ... Chiron 2010/12/28 17:49:34
    John   "BN 0"
    Why can't gay people just except the fact that straight people don't like there lifestyle? The thought of two men together makes me sick and I will never be for any kind of gay rights, sorry but its not on my priority list. The people in this world didn't get here by being gay, somewhere a long the line a straight couple had sex and you were born so leave it alone and stop trying to get everybody to think its ok......because its not. We don't care what you do behind closed doors but we do get upset when we have to look at it. You are trying to force it on us and thats not going to happen.
  • Chiron John ... 2010/12/28 18:07:14
    Chiron
    +2
    Being gay is not OK? Where did you get that idea -- from some Christian priest when he wasn't abusing young children? Some agenda-driven anti-gay activist website? Fact is, the major professional psychological, psychiatric, and medical associations have conducted extensive research into the matter -- and all determined that being gay is normal. In fact, they came to that conclusion back in the early 1970s.

All we are trying to "force upon" anyone is the equality that is promised to us -- indeed, all citizens -- in the Constitution.

That means equal marriage rights.

That means equal employment rights.

Instead, you want the USA to look like India, with a caste social system -- differing classes of citizenship. You're going to lose that battle. In fact, the Supreme Court has already ruled against you -- moral disapproval cannot result in a denial of rights.

Frankly, I don't care what you think. You do not matter to me or the gay community. We will, however, get our equal rights. And the longer you resist, the more you're going to hear from us and the louder it is going to get.
  • John ... Chiron 2010/12/28 18:29:09
    John   "BN 0"
    Its not ok with straight people, never was and never will be. Get as loud as you want it still wont make it right. The church doesn't have anything to do with what I think. I have just as much right to oppose it as you do to be for it and you are trying to force the issue on people. You can't change a straight persons mind anymore than I can change your mind.
  • Chiron John ... 2010/12/28 19:28:40
    Chiron
    +1
    Sheer nonsense. Being gay is absolutely ok with straight people. Perhaps you've missed the headlines this year? Here, I'll help you. Following are survey results from the past several months.

52% said gay relations are morally acceptable, up from 45% five years ago (Gallup)
    58% said gay relations should be made legal, up from 46% six years ago (Gallup)
    58% said gay couples should be entitled to same government benefits as straight couples (Roper)
    52% said the goverment should give legal recognition to gay couples (Roper)
    52% said gay couples should have the right to marry (Opinion Research Corporation)
    78% said gays should be able to serve openly in the military (Opinion Research Corporation)
    67% said their community is somewhat or very tolerant of gays (Fox-Opinion Dynamics)

So, it is you who are not only wrong, but are in the minority now.

And political observer Bill Schneider noted this just a few months ago: "We seem to have reached a turning point on the issue of same-sex marriage. It may now be politically more risky to oppose gay marriage than to support it." He cited both a CBS News poll and a CNN poll that found that legal gay marriage is now in the plurality position. Indeed, straights are coming on strong for gay marriage -- the number who support it has doubled in the past six years. Yes, straights are chaning their minds.
  • John ... Chiron 2010/12/28 20:28:27
    John   "BN 0"
    I just polled 18 people in our office I ask a simple question....Is it ok to be gay, most laughed but all answered NO. They are ok with you being gay but not with the thought of being gay. So now I have research that says its not ok to be gay. All the guys I know who were in the military say hell no to gays openly serving they don't care that they are gay as long as they don't have to see men together. So think what you want but we feel as strongly against as you do for.
  • Chiron John ... 2010/12/28 20:56:00
    Chiron
    +2
    Your so-called "poll" is utterly meaningless. I could go on all day about why (you see, I studied polling and statistics and statistic sampling in grad school), but suffice to say it has many glaring faults, of which there are 4 fatal ones.

1. Laughably small sample size.
    2. Laughably absurd sampling location.
    3. Laughably poor qualities of the survey taker (inept, biased, inexperienced)
    4. Laughably ridiculous quality of survey respondents (not representative)

You do not have research at all. You have engaged in a mere parlor game for your own silly amusement.

And "all the guys I know" in the military is supposed to be a scientifically valid survey sample, too?

What about the 115,052 surveys completed by the military -- surveyes prepared and tabulated by a reputable polling organization?

They refute your laughably inept findings.

Play on with your parlor games. Leave the true polling to the professionals.
    .
  • John ... Chiron 2010/12/28 21:19:09
    John   "BN 0"
    You are sounding a little insecure. Stop crying Nobody cares about rights based on a certain sexuality. NOBODY CARES.
  • Chiron John ... 2010/12/28 21:28:23
    Chiron
    +1
    LOL!

I spanked you in public for your silly and laughable "survey" and now you try, ever so feebly, to say that I'm sounding insecure?

ROFLMAO @ U!

Besides, and never forget this:

We won! DADT is dead!

You lost!

Now move along and deal with your wounds caused by supporting the discriminatory DADT and its rightful repeal. You'll just have to find another way to inflate your flaccid ego and overcome your manhood's shortcomings. You won't get any satisfaction anymore by discriminating against gays.

And good luck dealing with your shame at being beaten by this gay guy and the gay community.

LOL!
  • John ... Chiron 2010/12/28 21:56:43
    John   "BN 0"
    There you go again. Join the military then stand up and say that you like it up the ass and see what happens. I can see that you live in your own little world so do us all a favor and stay there. As far as shame goes I seem to be voicing my opinions and my pics are up for everybody to see so it doesn't look like I'm the one that's ashamed. It doesn't feel like I took a beating but your entitled to your own opinion even if its wrong. Before I head home I wanted to remind you to thank your parents for not being gay, if they believed as you do you wouldn't be here to have this conversation. We can live without gays but we cant survive without straight people.
  • Chiron John ... 2010/12/28 22:03:35 (edited)
    Chiron
    +3
    My mother is a gay rights activist.

And perhaps you did not hear me the first time.

You lost

We -- and the cause for equality -- won!

Now move along and deal with your shame and humiliation.
  • John ... Chiron 2010/12/29 14:20:17
    John   "BN 0"
    I heard you the first time.......just remember as a human race we can survive without you but you have to have people like me. It must really suck to have to depend on straight people for your existence. Your welcome.
  • Che Gue... John ... 2010/12/29 15:07:32
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +2
    Why do you find it necessary to be so bigoted and hateful ? I feel sad for you that feel you have to put a group of people down to make yourself feel superior. Its a sign of poor self esteem and a lack of compassion for others.
  • John ... Che Gue... 2010/12/29 15:14:23
    John   "BN 0"
    I don't put them down to feel superior, this is a place for opinions and personally the thought of two men together makes me sick and I am giving my opinions to there questions, if you look through my profile you will see that I didn't start any hate gay questions. I thought they were asking for opinions why else would they ask the question?
  • Che Gue... John ... 2010/12/29 15:16:34
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    Does it make you sick because you had a bad experience or are ashamed of something you did ? Ever take psychology ?
  • John ... Che Gue... 2010/12/29 15:27:38
    John   "BN 0"
    Do you really think its ok to be gay or are you just tolerating them because there are a lot of other groups out there that would like to have rights based on there sexual preference. If you tolerate one group to be fair you have to tolerate all of them and I am not ready to do that.
  • Che Gue... John ... 2010/12/29 16:14:40
    Che Guevara - Hero
    I think its fine. I do despise people that would take the rights away from others in the name of bigotry and hatred though.
  • John ... Che Gue... 2010/12/29 16:30:58
    John   "BN 0"
    I despise people who defend gay guys. Next you will be defending pedophiles, hey its no more than a sexual preference and as long as its consensual I guess thats ok. Wait another 20yrs and it will be acceptable too. Then what?
  • Che Gue... John ... 2010/12/29 17:53:35
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    Placing Gay people in the same group as pedophiles makes no sense at all. Sorry to present facts but you lose again:

"Using the fixated-regressed distinction, Groth and Birnbaum (1978) studied 175 adult males who were convicted in Massachusetts of sexual assault against a child. None of the men had an exclusively homosexual adult sexual orientation. 83 (47%) were classified as "fixated;" 70 others (40%) were classified as regressed adult heterosexuals; the remaining 22 (13%) were classified as regressed adult bisexuals. Of the last group, Groth and Birnbaum observed that "in their adult relationships they engaged in sex on occasion with men as well as with women. However, in no case did this attraction to men exceed their preference for women....There were no men who were primarily sexually attracted to other adult males..." (p.180)."
    http://psychology.ucdavis.edu...
  • John ... Che Gue... 2010/12/29 18:29:21
    John   "BN 0"
    You seem to rely on others a lot. Do you not think for yourself? Anyone can publish anything they want and it can be a complete lie. I see that a lot more now that we have internet, people read an article and just assume its true because it must be true if it has been published somewhere. You don't know Groth or his motives so don't quote a study as fact. Homosexuality is a sexual preference just the same as with pedophiles. They are both sexual attractions towards a certain group or kind of people.
    http://www.theinterim.com/200...

true or not who knows it could have been written by someone like me who is biased against gays. I believe what I know to be true not what others tell me. My opinions are based on the facts I know to be true.
  • Che Gue... John ... 2010/12/29 15:04:04
    Che Guevara - Hero
    Its a proven fact that most gay bashers do so to compensate for their own homosexual feelings. Its sad that you have to spend your time bashing the sexual orientation that probably defines you.
  • John ... Che Gue... 2010/12/29 15:20:28
    John   "BN 0"
    Now where did you come up with that? The way I see it is if you think its ok its because you yourself have some kind of hidden desire to be gay. I have had gay guys trying to push there beliefs on me since I was about 10yrs old and trust me there is nothing worse than a gay guys trying to come on to you so you sit back and tolerate all you want and maybe some day your kids will be faced with the same situation and it will be your fault because you were all for there life style. I guess you will get an award for father of the year.
  • Che Gue... John ... 2010/12/29 16:16:07
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    John Carver:
    "I have had gay guys trying to push there beliefs on me since I was about 10yrs old"

Who were all these "Gay Guys" ?
  • John ... Che Gue... 2010/12/29 16:24:49
    John   "BN 0"
    They were some of your friends.
  • Che Gue... John ... 2010/12/29 17:56:30
    Che Guevara - Hero
    I didn't think you would answer that one. You should check your facts before you come on SH and make blanket statements and assumptions.

2014/09/02 16:58:37