Should Gay Couples be Allowed to Adopt Children?

Related Topics: Supreme Court, Governor
Mazel Tov, Florida! You’re now only slightly less regressive than three other states! With this week’s ruling overturning a 33-year ban on gay and lesbian couples adopting children in the Sunshine state, Florida finally crawled out of the bottom four when it comes to blocking willing gay couples from being parents.

After a gay couple sued over the state’s ban, a court of appeals unanimously ruled it unconstitutional on Wednesday, setting up a likely Florida Supreme Court showdown according to the Miami Herald. Governor Charlie Crist -- who formerly supported the ban until he left the GOP to run for the Senate and needed liberal and moderate votes -- and the state’s child welfare boss announced a short time later that they would no longer enforce the ban, which the court said there was no “rational basis” for.

The appeals court agreed with the ruling in a 2008 trial in which the Department of Children and Family provided testimony from two “experts” – an ordained Baptist minister and another “scholar” who admitted his expertise came largely from biblical teachings – who backed up the agency’s argument that gay men and lesbians are more likely to suffer from mental illness, substance abuse or engage in “harmful lifestyle choices.”

So, clearly, nobody in that room had ever … been to a "straight" bar in South Florida.

Ball’s in your court, Arkansas, Mississippi and Utah.

Do you think gay couples should be allowed to adopt?

• Simmering Frog - PHART 2010/09/25 01:29:58 (edited)
    Simmering Frog - PHART
    +31

No.

The better question that needs to be asked is:

Do children who are up for adoption deserve the dignity and respect of having parents that include both a mother and a father?

When you look at this from viewpoint of the child, the gay agenda becomes embarrassingly clear. Children should not be used as pawns to push an agenda.

• rexana 2011/03/18 17:51:56
    rexana
    +1
    were humans too n i think we should b alowd to adopt just like ne1 else.
    :) give us a chance
  • I am me 2010/12/31 20:27:57
    I am me
    Absolutely.
  • nicole kessler 2010/12/14 05:12:08
    nicole kessler
    +1
    Just recently found out that my sister is lesbian and is engaged to be married soon. I think it's wrong to deny any child to a warm home and happy family. It's easy to interject an opinion and say that it shouldnt be allowed, but did you ever think to ask the children put up for adoption? I'm sure they'd jump at a chance for Christmas with a family of their own.
  • Britt 2010/11/05 02:04:55
    Britt
    +1
    I'd rather have 2 mommies or 2 daddies than none.
  • Spent 2010/10/22 13:23:06
  • ~Faith_N_Jesus ~ is returni... 2010/10/13 15:52:57
    ~Faith_N_Jesus ~ is returning to the old landmark
    No but since the devil is working harder then some christian folk this world is on its way to hell in a big huge hand basket. We can pray against this type of life style and pray for them to change....but all these things shall come to pass and the end will come. God have mercy on your people and save those that know better in Jesus name.
  • texasred 2010/10/08 20:23:04
    texasred
    I personally don't care if two men or two women want to be together. Their choice. But I don't think it's fair to put children in the middle of an agenda that is tearing this nation apart.
  • Loki_Laufeyson 2010/10/04 21:31:13
    Loki_Laufeyson
    What;s the problem with gays or lesbains adopting??? IN my latest story two male lover raist a girl. One of them went bi for a bit and had her with a girl he met ONCE in the market at his hometown.
  • Mithol 2010/10/03 08:20:53
    Mithol
    Why not? Kids need homes.
  • hunter 44 Mithol 2010/10/11 01:18:09
    hunter 44
    So put them in with anybody, right?
  • Britt hunter 44 2010/11/05 02:06:30
    Britt
    +2
    No dumbass. Put them with a loving family. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with parental skills.
  • Jane 2010/10/02 16:47:41
    Jane
    +1
    Of course! This shouldn't even be a question!
  • Xx.:AlyxAnesthicsz :.xX 2010/09/29 18:42:09
    Xx.:AlyxAnesthicsz :.xX
    +2
    Of course. Gay couples make fit parents and I don't think that should even matter.
  • MIKEY 2010/09/29 11:57:48
    MIKEY
    +1
    YES...YES...YES...REMEMBER FOLKS...ITS STRAIGHT FOLKS WHO CREATED THESE GAY CHILDREN....SO LOVE THEM.....GAY PEOPLE ARE YOUR CHILDREN.....................
  • carrotcat 2010/09/28 04:50:15
    carrotcat
    +2
    There are kids who need homes out there and have unfit parents that are not gay.
    I have a friend with TWO mothers, and she and her little sister just turned out FINE!
  • RBjay 2010/09/28 04:15:50
    RBjay
    +1
    I personally know of two situations where the adopting (gay) couples were the only stable and "normal" couple within their respective families to assume that responsibility.
  • belle 2010/09/28 00:51:41
    belle
    markin No, cince I think a third answer should have been there. Two women or two men of course can raise a child, but the child will always miss out on the other sex teachings. A man can not give a girl the knowledge needed as a woman can. The sames goes for two women they cannot provide that manly touch for a child either. So a couple of a man and woman is the best in the end.
    +2
    There are so many neglected children that a loving couple should not be denied. Homosexuals are not pedophiles; pedophiles tend to be hetrosexual (no absolutes but the stats look this way and No one with a hint of pedphilia should be allowed to adopt) There is a huge need for loving homes and it just might have a positive effect on lowering the instances of abortions
  • captkirk999 2010/09/27 23:55:22
    captkirk999
    +1
    gay people should be allowed to have children.
  • Pedz 2010/09/27 20:01:14
    Pedz
    the traditional values of families have disappeared over time, that's why now we find gay couples, lesbian couples, both adopting children and looking after them. this type of transformation is inevitable and for the benefit of society as it eliminated discrimination towards people who are regarded as "different". Many straight couples neglect their children therefore stating that gay couples should not be allowed to adopt would lead to more families being tied up by children that they can not keep. rather give the child to a couple who would be willing to care for it, rather than judge on the change in the traditional concept of families.
  • John 2010/09/27 17:27:37
    John
    +2
    You cant fight your individual biology. Regardless of where a child is raised,you dont turn a child "gay" simply by exposing them to gay culture,being raised by gay parents,etc... .
  • PaRtYgIRl5593 2010/09/27 16:01:06
    PaRtYgIRl5593
    +1
    well that because each kid know what they want and if there parents are gay and they grow up to be gay that is there choice
  • RobNeal 2010/09/27 14:53:20
    RobNeal
    No.

So many people on here keep saying 'its better than a straight parent not wanting or loving the child'. What makes you all think straight people don't love their kids. Children need a mother and a father. I realize there are many single parents out there doing the best they can, but the child needs both mother and father. Not two moms or two dads. The family was created by God and children are a precious gift from God, not property. It takes a male and a female to create a baby.
  • Vieuphoria RobNeal 2010/09/27 19:43:49
    Vieuphoria
    +1
    It also takes a male and female to create the baby that eventually ends up in the adoption system with no parents.
  • Xx.:Aly... Vieuphoria 2010/09/29 18:43:06
    Xx.:AlyxAnesthicsz :.xX
    +1
    OWNED. Nice one Vieuphoria. =]
  • OZknight66 Vieuphoria 2010/10/06 08:38:16
    OZknight66
    Or sexually abused by a parent who is straight... go figure :-)
  • Leo --Name Subject 2 Change-- 2010/09/27 06:14:01
    Leo --Name Subject 2 Change--
    +1
    admittedly, my idea of a family will always and forever be a man, a woman, and children and that is how i will teach my children and that is what i believe in. Despite my views, i think all responsible adults should have the chance to care for a child of their own regardless of their sexual orientation.
  • ITALIAN CLICKER 2010/09/26 23:21:38
    ITALIAN CLICKER
    +1
    I'M SORRY, BUT I CAN'T SEE BEING A FAMILY OTHER THAN MOTHER, FATHER AND CHILDREN! THAT IS GOD'S WAY AND THAT'S WHAT I BELIEVE!
  • This!pe... ITALIAN... 2010/09/27 02:32:42
    This!person!
    +2
    Acctually a family SHOULD be two loving parents and children that feel safe and loved.
    Sorry but thats what I belive.
  • ITALIAN... This!pe... 2010/09/27 04:58:11
    ITALIAN CLICKER
    BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT, BUT IN MY EYES, A FAMILY SHOULD BE OF TWO LOVING PARENTS (ONLY MY BELIEF IS MALE AND FEMALE).
    A QUESTION WAS ASKED, AND I REPLIED TO WHAT I BELIEVE, SAME AS YOU!
  • This!pe... ITALIAN... 2010/09/28 00:43:36
    This!person!
    +1
    No reason to yell :/
  • Xx.:Aly... This!pe... 2010/09/29 18:43:45
    Xx.:AlyxAnesthicsz :.xX
    I know, rudeness. Caps raper...
  • This!pe... Xx.:Aly... 2010/09/30 10:51:09 (edited)
    This!person!
    Caps abuser XD
    At least shes not annoying as this chick ----V
  • Xx.:Aly... This!pe... 2010/09/30 13:56:06
    Xx.:AlyxAnesthicsz :.xX
    Lol yeah really. Did you ever notice that the people who are so against it are in your face Christians, shoving God in your face. When in reality, "Gays and Straights, He made them both." Haha.
  • This!pe... Xx.:Aly... 2010/10/05 19:43:19
    This!person!
    Lol Yes, we christians are bad bad people!! XDD j/k!!
  • Xx.:Aly... This!pe... 2010/10/06 14:28:45
    Xx.:AlyxAnesthicsz :.xX
    Yes.! I'm a Christian so I wasn't saying anything bad about it but just the "in your face Christians" lol x)
  • This!pe... Xx.:Aly... 2010/10/08 19:42:42
    This!person!
    :o I'm a christian too!! XD
    Yeah Those are the ones that get relly annoying. :Y
  • DebraJM... ITALIAN... 2010/09/27 02:56:51
    DebraJMSmith
    +1
    That's right! If children have two parents, they should be male and female. "Male and female, He made them both."
  • Xx.:Aly... DebraJM... 2010/09/30 13:56:26
    Xx.:AlyxAnesthicsz :.xX
    +1
    "Gays and Straights, He made them both."
  • DebraJM... Xx.:Aly... 2010/09/30 17:53:55
    DebraJMSmith
    "Male and female, He made them both." -- Biblical Scripture, The Word of God -- This scripture is speaking about the two sexes, male and female. It is not a correct analogy, to compare the two sexes with a life style that is not of God and a lifestyle that is of God.

Homosexuality is not of God. Heterosexuality is of God.

Though, yes, God made the people who went the way of homosexuality, God did not make them to be homosexuals.

2014/11/24 14:05:55