Should fired cops be allowed to own guns?

L.A. Times 2013/02/11 16:00:00
Here's an idea for a new gun control law: How about immediately seizing the personal arsenal of a fired cop? Dishonorably discharged soldiers, after all, aren't allowed to own firearms. Why should dishonored cops?

Like booted officer Christopher Jordan Dorner, who allegedly went on a vengeful killing rampage four years after being fired from the Los Angeles Police Department. Maybe, at least, Dorner should have been required to undergo psychological testing upon being sacked to determine whether he was mentally fit to own weapons.

dorner

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-cap-guns-2...

• Selketskiss 2013/02/26 11:11:16 (edited)
    Selketskiss
    Need "other" as an option..Now if a cop resignes or gets fired for for putting 25 bullets into unarmed person running from speeding ticket then no he does not need a gun. A good example is the Ohio case, 13 officers pump over 100 rounds into car of unarmed couple doing nothing but running from fear of 63 police cars chasing them down after their car backfires and cops thought it was gunfire..murderers playing at being police. 2 police officers shoot and kill teenage victim that had been in car accident fire which he was thrown from his car, with flesh all peeling off and head injury in shock. Shot him to death because victim would not lay flat on the ground. Boy 16 falls or was bumped off overpass by a car hits the ground below breaking his back and heel with head injury but because the semi-unconscious boy did not obey police commands he was tazed 19 times. cops lie about what boy said..yeah.. some cops even on duty should not have guns or tazers. Police use "I was in fear for my life" or as the cop said about the burn victim " I was in fear for my life from the aids" and no charges for them. I have the feeling less than half are good cops now...something has changed and police see everyone as the enemy all over the country...
  • Carlo 2013/02/25 22:16:18
    Carlo
    +1
    Not if what he did was a felony.
  • christo... Carlo 2013/04/04 10:10:57
    christopher gray
    +1
    It is already illegal for a felon to own a firearm.
  • Carlo christo... 2013/04/05 02:43:46 (edited)
    Carlo
    If what he did made him a felon them him as well. which it probably did, I'm sure.
    Anything the cop did to get himself fired would have to be, I think.
  • MsDianna 2013/02/24 01:27:57
    MsDianna
    +1
    it all depends on the situation
  • hajkorten 2013/02/23 10:28:37
  • Surya 2013/02/17 20:57:12
    Surya
    After they've undergone testing to determine whether they should be able to keep the gun, yes

Anyone who applies for a gun undergoes psychological testing
    shouldn't be different in this case
  • Dion Pr... Surya 2013/02/19 19:39:19
    Dion Prince
    +1
    no one has to undergoe psychological testing to "apply" for a gun
  • codie.paul 2013/02/17 18:42:56 (edited)
    codie.paul
    Well considering what happened recently, no. Why should they? That is proof that they shouldnt. That they could just do what he did. And why have that happen again? Some may say yes cuz they are sane. But you never know. Better to not let them have guns and not let this happen again. Or, maybe that is the wrong way to look at it. There are two sides here. That and it could be helpful cuz if somethin happened they have the training and gun and can do somethin about it. But i dont know. This is a hard quesiton. It doesnt seem like a good idea to allow that now though. Perhaps some time in the future. And if it should so happen to be, then they should have to be screened.
  • Dave 007 2013/02/17 12:36:27
    Dave 007
    +1
    If a cop who was fired bought the gun legally, no problem. There are a lot of people out there who were fired and own guns because it is their right too.
  • EsA 2013/02/17 01:53:37
    EsA
    Unfortunately, yes.
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2013/02/16 22:53:01 (edited)
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    I would say it would depend what they were discharged for. If they were discharged for a reason that would take away the right of a citizen to own a weapon then yes.
    I meant to choose Yes.
  • novelistgirl94 2013/02/16 22:45:01
    novelistgirl94
    Anyone can own a gun after being fired. It depends on why the cop was fired. Otherwise, it's all right.
  • MS PRUD 2013/02/16 19:09:16
    MS PRUD
    +2
    Fired people also have the 2nd Amendment rights.
  • Rdtourist 2013/02/15 15:43:57
    Rdtourist
    Fired is WAY too general, coming in too late for the day a few times is not a capital crime now, is it? Playing with the opposite sex partner is not THAT terrible but it is a firing offense.

An officer fired for gross disobedience or physical misconduct or bribery may be subject to more, but generally fired? no big deal.
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2013/02/15 14:33:53
  • Pronatalist Pronatalist 2013/02/15 13:15:19 (edited)
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    Can anybody think of a reason a person might be fired, that has little, if anything, to do with, their 2nd Ammendment-affirmed right to own guns? Come on, it is not that hard to think of some reasons. Maybe the boss is firing people, for no good reason, just to hire his cronies? Maybe the guy, just wasn't meant to be a cop, but could do other things well.
  • republican 2013/02/15 12:38:06
    republican
    +2
    Yes it is our right as americans to own guns. They are american's so they should own guns.
  • carlton999 2013/02/15 10:21:44
    carlton999
    +1
    Owning Guns are an American Right.
  • Jerry 2013/02/15 09:03:18
    Jerry
    +1
    .......... I disagree on the volume of approvals........... fired cops may very well, be potential hot heads, and in some fashion, want to break laws after being fired...... and, I am not Pro NRA ...... just for the record, I don't even own a gun........ but I have a trusty Louisville Slugger Baseball Bat handy, if need be............
  • republican Jerry 2013/02/15 12:39:19
    republican
    +1
    Is that going to protect you if a robber breaks in and has a gun?
  • Jerry republican 2013/02/16 00:20:09
    Jerry
    .......... no, but I am a Born Again Christian, and my Guardian Angel is Physically Very Strong....... and I perceive Him as about 12 feet tall, with a large wing span, let the intruder try to mess with Him.......... and consequently........ me........ more powerful than any firearms could ever be....... my Faith will protect me from harm......... in Jesus Name.......... Amen..........
  • republican Jerry 2013/02/22 12:47:25
    republican
    +1
    I am a very avid christian so do not try to pull that on me. Sure we have guardian angles but earth is still a proving ground so that god can see and evaluate our decisions. This means that if a robber breaks in and shoots at you he will probably miss but I want to be able to personally be able to protect my mom, dad, brother, and sister from intruders.
  • Jerry republican 2013/02/22 23:35:10
    Jerry
    ......... and that is Your right......... I would never try and change that.......
  • Selkets... republican 2013/02/26 11:46:46 (edited)
    Selketskiss
    Only if you have the element of surprise...like cracking that skull from behind then an ice pick into the brain stem....
  • Larry 2013/02/15 02:51:51
    Larry
    +1
    If the discharge action (firing) was a result of a mental deficiency and the employee was deemed to be unfit mentally, the Police Department had a responsibility to evaluate and seek Professional Mental Health for this employee.

Authorized mental health care professionals with the proper authority to make such determinations, should have taken actions to have the person declared incompetent to own firearms.

No one wants a mentally deficient person to possess weapons. There are laws on the books to restrict ownership of firearms based on mental illness that would have been appropriate, if used.

To take away the right to own a firearm and to take the firearm without legal justification would be unlawful and in violation of the 2nd amendment of the Constitution. If being fired was illegal, thousands would be in violation of the law.

The issue that has created this question was created by a man that had no respect for human life. Fired Police Officer or not whatever his grievances they were not worth the taking of a human life.
    He alone is responsible for his actions.
  • Texas Johnny 2013/02/14 21:30:00
    Texas Johnny
    +2
    Only if they were fired for committing a felony. Other than that, I'd say yes let them have a firearm.
  • Pronata... Texas J... 2013/02/15 13:19:01
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    +1
    The way this wicked police-state country is going, everything will soon be a felony. Sneezing, jay-walking, farting without an EPA emissions license, breathing out CO2 more than once a minute, criticizing the government, etc.
  • Selkets... Pronata... 2013/02/26 11:50:37
    Selketskiss
    LOL...but most likely will be true..
  • ♥N N♥ 2013/02/14 21:24:15
    ♥N N♥
    Owning private guns is fine within the law, but if he is fired he should not be able to carry a gun on his body like active officers do.
  • Rdtourist ♥N N♥ 2013/02/15 15:45:59
    Rdtourist
    Fired for WHAT? Being of poor body hygiene?
  • Duane Freemantle 2013/02/14 16:54:57
    Duane Freemantle
    +1
    According to this article he was fired 4 years earlier. A lot can happen is a person's life in a 4 year period.
  • Zoomie 2013/02/14 16:24:15
    Zoomie
    +2
    I would have opted for "It Depends..." if that had been an option...

Some cops get fired for reasons that are no threat to anyone for any reason. Others, of course, should be kept far, far away from firearms, especially in the months immediately following their dismissal.

Given only the two choices, I had to go with "No" as I'd opt for public safety first.
  • Yourmother Zoomie 2013/02/14 18:00:32
    Yourmother
    If a person has mental problems he shouldn't have access to weapons in first place, regardless of him being a former cop or not.
  • codie.paul Yourmother 2013/02/17 18:46:19
    codie.paul
    +1
    very good point
  • Warfinge 2013/02/14 13:06:44
    Warfinge
    +1
    Cops have the same civil rights as the rest of us. If he has broken no laws and his NFA permits are in order, his guns have nothing to do with his employment status. I love how people grasp and any argument to violate someone's civil rights over guns.
    Dorner was another nut. He did not represent law enforcement or even unemployed law enforcement. He did not represent military veterans either. He did represent a bitter, angry man who targeted a relatively small group of people he considered his antagonists. He was not after a general body count but a specific group. Insane obviously and now a legend thanks to the over-reaction of LAPD and the media.
  • deckman204 2013/02/14 13:00:41 (edited)
    deckman204
    A fired police officer is no different then any other terminated employee in society.. Just because a police was fired doesn't mean he was mental or not responsible enough to own a firearm... If Dorner was deemed mentally incompetent, then the fault lies with the LA Police Department for not taking the appropriate proactive steps to head this off..

If though in fact Dorner was not mental and what he was stating about being "wronged" by members of the LA Police Department.. then remember everyone has a breaking point.. when you beat on a chained up dog long enough eventually when the dogs has opportunity, it's going to bite you...

I do not condone Dorner's actions by any means but, if it comes out that what he was saying was true about his dismissal, then those responsible in the LAPD should hold some culpability in this tragic event..
  • christopher gray 2013/02/14 12:57:08 (edited)
    christopher gray
    "Dishonorably discharged soldiers, after all, aren't allowed to own firearms. Why should dishonored cops?"

Understand, people, that a dishonorably discharged service member was found guilty in a military court (Court Martial) for a UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) violation that would likely be considered a felony in a civilian court. There are other types of discharges (General Under Honorable Conditions, General Under Other Than Honorable Conditions, Bad Conduct Discharge) for the less serious infractions, and once discharged, those veterans have every right to legally purchase firearms. Dishonorably discharged service members, like felons, lose their right to bear arms...or at least to legally puchase them. Felons also lose their right to vote, so here's a new poll idea in keeping with the same "logic," "Should People Who Lose Their Jobs Lose Their Right To Vote?" Come on people...

I vote YES, as does the United States Constitution.
  • Gwen 2013/02/14 04:56:15
    Gwen
    In one episode of "Police Woman" her partner had to give up his badge and gun.
  • christo... Gwen 2013/02/14 12:40:25
    christopher gray
    +7
    In an eposode of "The Simpsons," the toilets in Australia flushed backwards, but I digress; the officer in the TV show returned his/her DEPARTMENT ISSUED badge and gun.

2014/04/24 02:39:01