Should Felons Be Allowed to Vote?

Kentucky, Virginia, Florida, and Iowa currently have lifetime voting bans on those convicted of felonies, while seven other states have less-stringent bans. However, Maryland Senator Ben Cardin is trying to pass the Democracy Restoration Act, which would allow felons to regain their right to vote once they've completed their sentence.

Cardin argues, "If we truly want to break the cycle of recidivism, we need to reintegrate former prisoners back into society. When prisoners are released, they are expected to obey the law, get a job, and pay taxes as they are rehabilitated and reintegrated into their community. With these responsibilities and obligations of citizenship should also come the rights of citizenship, including the right to vote." Do you agree?

• William Weber 2012/01/03 22:30:46
    William Weber
    +32
    If you deny Any Adult the right to vote, you open a Pandora's box of other freedoms taken away. No matter what they have done, they still have the right to vote for a person who's ideas they agree with. If you think that its right to deny them their right to vote, then you don't deserve freedom, and you definitely wont have the right to complain when its your rights that are taken away.

the y know the justice system better than all of us
  • jim Mike 2012/07/01 12:00:13
    jim
    have you ever been arrested, put in jail, serve time? criminals use the system to get out, plea bargain to a lessor charge, and don't care who gets hurt.
  • Mike jim 2012/07/03 12:06:32
    +1
    what is the difference between them and a politician???
  • Stryder 2012/05/30 20:04:47
    Stryder
    Not upon immediate release from prison. Maybe after ten years of being productive, law-abiding citizens they could then get their voting priviledges back.
  • jim Stryder 2012/07/01 12:01:09
    jim
    no, they lost their right to vote, when they broke the law, end of story.
  • Stryder jim 2012/07/01 14:13:45
    Stryder
    Don't get me wrong. I'm in no way defending convicted felons. But if someone's a one-time offender (and depending on what they're convicted of) and they turn their life around after release I really wouldn't have a problem if they were to be allowed to vote after a decade or so of law-abiding behavior. It would definitely have to be on a case-by-case basis.
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2012/05/30 19:27:10
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +1
    After they've served their time and show they are going to be productive members of society.
  • jim Nam Era... 2012/07/01 11:53:13
    jim
    no, I work with felons, and they still do drugs, cheat, lie, manipulated peoples, and tried to break my arm, and management didn't do anything. So much for rehab, big fat joke, and besides, keep building more prisons, it creates jobs, for more prison guards.
  • Nam Era... jim 2012/07/01 17:57:18
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    This question was asked in January. I don't even remember what it's about. So have a nicer Sunday. :-)
  • Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO 2012/05/30 19:11:13
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    they already do ... look at Congress for a bunch of criminals
  • Otaku Link 2012/05/30 19:08:31
    Otaku Link
    Yeah... I know they've paid their dues to society... but somehow it seems a moot point, given how few people vote anyway.
  • aherbert 2012/05/30 19:07:51
    aherbert
  • jim aherbert 2012/07/01 11:57:58
    jim
    they crossed the line, and you can't ever go back. Our society needs to take to stand, instead of letting these criminals walk around, like nothing happened.
  • aherbert jim 2012/07/01 16:30:03
    aherbert
    Do crimes go to jail and get “rehabilitated” or call it what you want but you are in jail paying for your crime. Why take away your right to vote? Isn’t that an American right … why take away felons liberties
  • findthelight2000 2012/05/30 18:59:41
    findthelight2000
    +1
    It surprises me how many people don't believe in freedom and liberty in this country.
  • ALexander 2012/03/29 01:11:11
    ALexander
    I would vote No ,They have no rights at all. Give them bread and water that all they should have.
  • HippieMan 2012/02/21 02:40:46
  • jim 2012/01/29 13:47:06
    jim
    no way, felons can't be trusted!
  • stevmackey 2012/01/26 04:01:03
    stevmackey
    They lost their rights when they committed their crimes.
  • Lovita 2012/01/25 11:58:26
    Lovita
    Once a person has served their prison time, yes, they should be allowed to vote. Dog The Bounty Hunter is working, has a family, discourages people from making the same mistakes he made when he was young. He can't carry a gun, but that doesnt mean he can't be allowed to vote.
  • jim Lovita 2012/01/29 13:49:15
    jim
    dog making big bucs with the syndication, he sold out!! I work with felons, and when they were in prison, it's was like homeweek for them, because all their homes were in jail with them.
  • Lovita jim 2012/01/30 01:58:22
    Lovita
    What do you mean about "homeweek" for the inmates?
    (I used to work for the Dept. of Corrections and was reprimanded by the Attorney General for saying "prisoner" instead of "resident", while I was typing updates to the "Residents' Rights Handbook". I thought I was going to be suspened that day!)
  • jill 2012/01/24 09:44:24
    jill
    +1
    Anymore, you can become a felon without using drugs. You can just be there and you get a charge. Everyone has broke the law even when it comes to speeding while driving or dropping a piece of paper on the ground. Wrong is wrong and no one is perfect. Looking at how many people go through the jails here where I live, you can see that before long, you will have more felons in the whole than you will not. We will need these felons to help vote for our leaders.
  • clintonrogers 2012/01/23 04:58:07
    clintonrogers
    +1
    if a felon is taxed, as they are, they should have the freedom to vote.... But, this is America a country that doesnt honor freedom of choice
  • Stan Kapusta 2012/01/21 19:27:46
    Stan Kapusta
    +2
    In everything but a sex crime! If a persons debt to society has been paid that should be the end. Otherwise they have no choice but to keep committing crimes to support themselves. Just like on a job application. That little box causes more people to go back. It's sad.
  • Jabbo Jones 2012/01/20 13:03:39
    Jabbo Jones
    +2
    We live in a country that prides itself on our freedoms. Therefore, if a person is convicted of a crime and is incarcerated, he/she should NOT be allowed to vote. However, once he/she is released from incarceration and are no longer apart of the Correctional system their voting priviledges should commence again....even if they are on Parole or Probation. It's Un-American for a person not to be able to vote!
  • clinton... Jabbo J... 2012/01/23 04:59:06
    clintonrogers
    +1
    I agree with you!!!
  • petean05 2012/01/16 16:19:43
    petean05
    +2
    If we focused on rehabilitation instead of simply incarceration, recidivism would decrease.
  • Stryder petean05 2012/07/01 14:17:10
    Stryder
    True. But some people just can't be rehabilitated. I'd support this on a case-by-case basis.
  • petean05 Stryder 2012/07/04 04:37:27
    petean05
    +1
    I think we should try to rehabilitate everyone, but I agree that there are some people who will not be rehabilitated. That is who penitentiaries should be for. For the rest, I think we can do better.
  • banzaibuckaroo 2012/01/15 08:30:47
    banzaibuckaroo
    +1
    after they pay for their time, restitution, and off probation. Let them be.
  • mike 2012/01/13 16:44:45
    mike
    after they have done their time then they should be able to vote. i also think it should depend on the crime and severity of the crime. But if you dont have rights when you have committed a crime and are locked up.
  • Stan mike 2012/01/30 10:33:57
    Stan
    You are all fundamentalists with a top dressing of chaos and destruction. That is why you are the stupidest of Conservatives, T-Boogers, and reactionary in politics and the most bigoted of obstructionists and domestic terrorists. When it comes to getting your hate on you are all of the same opinion: stop it, lie about it, distort it, obstruct it, flog it, dynamite it, and stamp the truth right out of it.
  • joe Stan 2012/02/17 00:24:04 (edited)
    joe
    +3
    Hey Stan. You must have a lot of time on your hands. You sure do remark alot. I do like the picture of your face though. Don't hate of the defenders of the free market and your sorry ass. What a little dick you must have. Hahaha how pathetic you are. You are the stupidest of the left. Let us spell douchbag idiot together.... S T A N. I am sure you will have something to say because you are left and don't work very hard but someone will be there soon for your daily pep talk. You are the very definition of HATER. Don't hate the free with that big ol' heart of yours ;) You are such a joke. Comment... I won't read it anyway, have too much of a life.
  • Stan joe 2012/02/18 10:48:11
    Stan
    Hey Joe, I see your a newbe, and I am retired, do lots of fact-finding, researching, reading, and watching everything political on TV and the internet. I have all the time in the world to confront and expose the Grand OBSTRUCTION Party's lies, conspiracy theories, and distortions of the truth. That is why I remark a lot because their are a lot of liars, conspiracy theorists, and those who distort the truth on this posting. I seem to draw a lot of adversaries. Are you having a problem with that?

Thank you for noticing how cute my grand-children's dog is. He is a Laberdoodlel. I don't hate as that is just a wasted emotion when much more important things are at stake. I don't object to free market, I just object to individuals like Mitt Romney who have used his wealth and corporate connections to bribe our politicians to rig our tax system to benefit themselves while screwing the rest of us. With the tax loopholes he and his misfits rigged our tax system to get, that is why he only pays 13.9% on $21 million in wages.

I always try to start my conversation with the idea that I can agree to disagree, but I see you want to meet my bad side instead. I can be as cordial or as caustic as the situation calls for. So you claim to hate my sorry a$$? What specifically do you have a problem w...

I always try to start my conversation with the idea that I can agree to disagree, but I see you want to meet my bad side instead. I can be as cordial or as caustic as the situation calls for. So you claim to hate my sorry a$$? What specifically do you have a problem with half-wit? Are you obsessed with my dick? I love it when you talk dirty to me conservative. What is your observation that makes you feel I am pathetic? I have broad shoulders, so do pontificate about your irrational hate, insecurities, sense of helplessness, guilt, and inability to effect change. I have no idea what is eating you, but it must be suffering horribly?

Your really letting all of your hatred just pour out of your mouth. Do you always engage your mouth before you put your brain in gear, or does your brain not work above the brain-stem? I see you want to become another one of my little mice to just bitch slap around, and I appreciate the comic relief. I love it that you wish to exchange insults and sarcasm with me, as that is just one of my areas of expertise. I love it when you Neanderthals like to bury their faces in a pile of their own crap like your doing. But you really shouldn't let your brain wander, as it is much to small to be let out on it's own. If you want to fight, try sticking your head up your dark place where the sun doesn't shine, and fight for air? Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha! You are already entertaining me Bubba Monkey!

Actually, if you haven't read my profile page, I am a pragmatist, a realist, a war veteran, and a left leaning Independent actually. The only other choice I had was to join the maggots who almost ran our country into another Great Depression. When in the military I vowed to protect my country and citizens from all terrorists both foreign, and NOW Domestic ones.

Are you that someone who is going to give me a daily pep talk? If so, you have made a friend, because I am a bulldog when it comes to confrontations. You must let me know when you want to debate something of substance about our current economic abyss your gaping primates put this country in. I love those kind of debates, or we can still play with the insults and sarcasm if you prefer!. What specifically do you think I hate about Bubba Monkey, as this is getting more humorous as we go? Your really trying very hard to make me mad, so how's it working for you so far? I love all of this venom you keep ranting about. I do hope you stick around long enough so I can really bitch slap the hell out of you, but your more one of those attack, snipe and run types. I understand Conservatives very well as I have researched Conservatism as far back in history as it goes, and here is a small compilation of what I found in my research

Conservatism is the domination of society by an aristocracy (The filthy Rich). Conservatism is incompatible with democracy, prosperity, and civilization in general. It is a destructive system of inequality and prejudice that is founded on deception and has no place in the modern world. For thousands of years, conservatism was universally understood as being in opposition to democracy, and the destruction of reason.

Conservatives do not trust the intellect or the will of the people. Their goal is to subjugate them for the benefit of a small minority of the privileged, while convincing the masses that this is the correct order of things, they have a great dislike for the very idea of equality. Equality you see is a very mischievous and complicated concept for them to handle. If it were not for the Declaration of Independence, it would be long gone by now. Equality is an ideal that contradicts everything they stand for. It is obvious that people do not enjoy matching portions of health, skill, talent, intellect, strong family support, wealth and privilege, and even good will. Because of that, equality loses its practical meaning. Democracy, where each person's vote, value and opinion are equal with everyone else, seems a naive form of government doomed to failure to the hidden agenda of conservatism. It always has. The founders of modern day conservatism make this very clear.

Simply put, not everyone, as defined by conservatives should have an equal voice, because not everyone should be viewed as equal, and therefore deserving. Conservatism calls for us to surrender to their acknowledged aristocracy of those who have great wealth, leadership abilities, power, and stature. These include conservative politicians, corporate CEOs, the Filthy Rich, some religious leaders who tow the line, and purveyors of local prejudices (Governor Scott Walker, etc.), those who blaspheme the name of freedom by trying to control the thoughts and values of others. We all know them well

Setting up an aristocracy of power is the central cause of conservatism, despite all the talk about national debt, religion, patriotism, taxes, spending, gun rights, and abortion. These issues are nothing but stepping stones to their goal, and all one has to do is look how these leaders live their lives to verify it (Glenn Beck, Sara Palin, Michelle Bachmann, Rick Perry, Newt Gingrich, Mitch McConnell, etc.). Their hypocrisy is undeniable, which is why wedge issues never really get resolved. Actions speak louder than words. Their chief concern proven over and over again is to cater to the Filthy Rich and powerful-while making sure that the working people are subserviently supportive of them through DEFICIT PRODUCING TAX CUTS, even against their own interests. Some democracy. When they talk of tradition, this is what they mean. They are harking back to a form of aristocracy rule rooted in the Middle Ages.

I LOVE IT WHEN YOU MAGGOTS GET SO PISSED AND ANGRY! LET'S SEE HOW LONG YOU LAST! Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha Ha!
  • Dr. Sliptinschit 2012/01/13 00:36:14
    Dr. Sliptinschit
    +1
    Felons tend to be liberals and liberals are drugged up retards that vote for people like Obama.
  • Stan Dr. Sli... 2012/01/30 10:32:06 (edited)
    Stan
    How insane can you be? Your suffering from insecurities, a sense of helplessness, guilt, and the inability to effect change. They have a name for you, and it is hypocrite!
  • Dr. Sli... Stan 2012/05/27 20:02:37 (edited)
    Dr. Sliptinschit
    ...and how did you come up with that one?
  • Stan Dr. Sli... 2012/05/31 11:16:41
    Stan
    It is the pathology of irrational hatred.

2014/12/20 14:27:02