Should Facebook Take Down Aurora Shooter's Fanpages?

The name James Holmes will forever live in infamy after the accused criminal murdered 12 people with gunfire and wounded many more during a midnight screening of "The Dark Night Rises" in a theater in Aurora, Colorado. Based on various reports following the shootings, it seems as though Holmes planned to become a real life comic book villain. As for other details, those are still scarce and getting inside a psychotic, cold-blooded man's head will be tough for prosecutors.

But getting rid of tasteless content in support of the Colorado shooter; that should be easy for Facebook, right? Not according to a report by CNN.com, which states that there are multiple fanpages for the killer, including one with more than 800 followers [or "likes"]. Facebook isn't like YouTube or message boards, where one can be anonymous. So unless they're using fake aliases and lack profile pictures, Holmes supporters are making themselves known publicly on the fanpage. Maybe they're Internet trolls. They could even be people with the same mental state as Holmes.

Regardless, Facebook won't remove the pages. Company spokesman Fred Wolens explained that the most popular Holmes fanpage "while incredibly distasteful, doesn't violate our terms." In order to be removed, it would have to post credible threats against specific people or intend to incite violence. We agree that free speech should be protected. But this lenient policy seems pretty inconsistent with the numerous stories we've heard over the years of everyday people having photos/content flagged and taken down, at times unfairly.

What do you think SodaHeads? Should Facebook remove the Colorado shooter's fanpages?

Read More: http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/25/tech/social-media/fa...

• thomas.fox.54 2012/07/28 21:24:17
    thomas.fox.54
    +22
    1st amendment. these people are sick, disgusting animals but they have the right to the 1st amendment. i hate censored websites anyway. people need to realize that they share a country with these people and they need to deal with it not pretend that these sick people dont exist

• bea.green 2012/07/28 22:27:09
    bea.green
    +3
    remove the name and page. spiting on everyone that reads it.
  • keelan 2012/07/28 22:23:32
    keelan
    +3
    people have a right to make what ever page they want just as they have the right to post what ever opinion they have on this sight
  • Grammar... keelan 2012/07/28 22:41:19
    Grammar Freak
    Be careful what you say, Friend... the weak at heart on SodaHead will block you faster than you can spit. Then you won't be able to participate in future discussion they might take part in as well. No, don't be fooled. SodaHead might SEEM like it's free... but it isn't. It's monitored & censored by its participants.
  • keelan Grammar... 2012/07/28 22:52:29
    keelan
    which discussions theirs or both theirs and my friends?
  • Grammar... keelan 2012/07/28 22:59:35
    Grammar Freak
    If you reply to someone's post... or just post something some random person doesn't like... you can be blocked.
    If you are blocked, you are not allowed to post at all on any of the question pages that person puts up. You are not allowed to reply to that person's posts. You might not even say anything to that person, but they just don't like your tone, or whatever, & they block you.
    There are a lot of big-talking pussies on SodaHead who love to act like middle school hall monitors. They feel high & mighty & powerful with their mouse clicking finger... likely the same one they use to dig the boogers out from way deep in the back of their noses.
    Just know that speech on SodaHead's a hell of a long way from being free.
  • keelan Grammar... 2012/07/28 23:24:11
    keelan
    so then why you cussing them knowing that you can potentially get blocked?
  • Grammar... keelan 2012/07/29 10:36:11 (edited)
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    Because I am who I am & I don't change for anyone.

There's nothing wrong with cussing, in my opinion. It's part of life. Everyone has his/her own way.
    If I offend someone, that's their problem. Life does not guarantee one not be offended... & sometimes the best way to get one's point across is by cussing.
    You know what offends me? Bad grammar & spelling. ...shows laziness & ignorance... especially since we have spell check when using computers.

You do as you like. I do as I like. Prove yourself through your opinions & beliefs & how you handle attacks from people who oppose you. Don't worry too much about the rest.
  • Ozymandias 2012/07/28 22:23:15
  • Squatch 2012/07/28 22:21:30 (edited)
    Squatch
    +3
    Pretty Sad. You can have this crap, but you cannot have a copy of the 10 Commandments in a court house.

OK I get the Church and State thing, but there is no denying that these were basic laws that Statutes and Legal Codes are modeled after.

If nothing else they should be historically included as one of the first recorded group of laws.

Instead we get people making fun of victims and supporting a chump killer who would have probably wet himself if someone shot back.

Way to go Facebook.
  • zeldama... Squatch 2012/07/28 23:35:01
    zeldamaster17~平和
    Ten commandments are BS since you're supposed to stone to death people who work on the sabbath, and other terrifying commands.
  • Squatch zeldama... 2012/07/29 00:35:48
    Squatch
    They do not state the penalty, just the laws.
  • zeldama... Squatch 2012/07/29 00:50:05
    zeldamaster17~平和
    Nope, that's in the rest of Genesis that states the penalties.
  • Squatch zeldama... 2012/07/29 01:00:47
    Squatch
    True
  • zeldama... Squatch 2012/07/29 01:04:19
    zeldamaster17~平和
    You can't follow PARTS of the bible, you have to follow the whole thing if you must follow any of it.
  • nighttrain8 2012/07/28 22:21:24
    nighttrain8
    +1
    Leave it up and become aware of how "they" think.
  • ed carter 2012/07/28 22:17:10
    ed carter
    +2
    There seems to be a PRESUMPTION on the authors part that these pages are soley intended for fans.Facebook has their 'create a page' set up so that in order to be part of a discussion,one must 'like' the page.....a design flaw for sure.
    True,there is a certain demographic who will display idolatry,which is irresponsible,but this bumps into 1st amendment issues.Remember,1st amendment was designed to protect offensive speech,as any other pesuasion,
  • Keith 2012/07/28 22:17:04
    Keith
    That's the funny thing about this country we glorify killers in movies and comics, and then it really happens and every freaks out asking how could this happen.
  • Blaxican Keith 2012/07/28 23:08:13
    Blaxican
    +1
    The fact is, that's fiction. The death of fictional characters affects nobody. But when a real person dies- your cousin, sister, brother, mother, father, best friend- your world is crushed. You need to take into consideration exactly what is being supported here. The death of 12 at the hand of one idiotic man. Learn the difference between fiction and reality. One matters. I hope you realize which one matters.
  • Keith Blaxican 2012/07/29 01:15:34
    Keith
    Yes I know this but if you enjoy watching or reading something with murderers it says a lot about you, even if you can tell the difference between fiction and reality. It just means deep down lots people are violent they just don't act on it.
  • Jorge Enriquez 2012/07/28 22:17:01
    Jorge Enriquez
    +1
    Take the names of that guys...future killers?
    just saying
  • Earl Hickey 2012/07/28 22:12:26
    Earl Hickey
    +2
    fanpage?
    i cant believe this
  • The Libertarian 2012/07/28 22:12:24
    The Libertarian
    +2
    No, but Facebook can make its own rules concerning freedom of speech, they are not the government, if it does not violate their TOS then the page stays, this is facebook's decision and a right one I might add, as this actually help others to see just who may be liking this jerk.
  • alex 2012/07/28 22:11:03 (edited)
  • Iefan Muineachán 2012/07/28 22:09:49
    Iefan Muineachán
    +2
    If we take away the killer's right to free speech, we take away his surviving victims' right to free speech.
  • Grammar... Iefan M... 2012/07/28 22:36:01
    Grammar Freak
    +2
    I don't think it was him who put up the fan pages. I think it's some freaky troll-seeker-youth who thought he/she would be funny/cute.

Of course, I agree 100% with your principle, however.
  • Sodahead Founders are Fascists 2012/07/28 22:07:29
    Sodahead Founders are Fascists
    +1
    Only if they remove this one as well:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages...
  • Grammar... Sodahea... 2012/07/28 22:34:27
    Grammar Freak
    Hahaha!
    It's got only 142 likes. Too bad he didn't get only 142 votes.
  • King Trillionaire 2012/07/28 22:06:39
    King Trillionaire
    +2
    But leaving it up may also be a good idea. For the cops to monitor his fans.
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/07/28 22:00:49
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    Do they remove pages of people who are deceased?
  • jc 2012/07/28 21:57:20
    jc
    Sure he committed a heinous crime and will be punished .But,one thing has nothing to do with another.He did not violate terms on Facebook.I agree with them for keeping his page.I don't like it,but I agree.
  • thє вluє wαndєrєr 2012/07/28 21:56:25
  • Jimmy 2012/07/28 21:56:04
    Jimmy
    +3
    "I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
  • Grammar... Jimmy 2012/07/28 22:32:30
    Grammar Freak
    Right.
    ...& if you want to out yourself as a fan of a psycho, then I encourage you full-heartedly.
    ...it's a hell of a lot easier to protect one's self from psychos when they identify themselves publicly as being psychos.
  • Bunny 2012/07/28 21:52:26
    Bunny
    +2
    why must we give murders any attention
  • Joey 2012/07/28 21:47:10
    Joey
    Let the people who join those pages be known. It is their right( kind of).. and it is also the good for other people to be aware what of these people , would I hire someone who was a fan of this murdered . NO. And I would be happy to know about that before I hired something like that by mistake .
  • Seiryuu 2012/07/28 21:46:49
    Seiryuu
    The West is built on liberty, and that (sometimes unfortunately) leads to freedom of speech. Is it tasteless? It is, but users reserve the right to post those things (and receive the scorn of others) unless it violates the terms of service.

I mean, sites like this exist, right?
  • caius madison 2012/07/28 21:44:22
  • AprilSkelton 2012/07/28 21:37:35
    AprilSkelton
    +2
    I believe as parents, we teach our children acceptable language and behavior. These people obviously did not receive such teachings. Therefore, society must teach them or go down the sewer with them.
  • Grammar... AprilSk... 2012/07/28 21:55:41
    Grammar Freak
    +2
    Hrmmm.
    I agree that it is parents' & families' responsibility to teach children. But I also believe it takes a village.

Moreover, I would argue that in life, there are good good examples & good bad examples. A good teacher is able to teach using the good bad examples as well as the good good examples.

But it would seem that we're already going down the sewer. Look who our two main candidates are to run our nation... both liars, both bad for our nation & the world. Both have no credible character... I wouldn't leave either of them alone with my kids. We know every single time our government does something in our name that is wrong, yet we allow them to get away with it & continue. Our society is already spinning down the toilet bowl. We point guns at each other simply because we disagree. We call each other vile, filthy names & think it's funny & okay. We allow our children to watch TV shows & play video games filled with vulgarity & extreme violence, yet shield their eyes when there is the slightest threat of nudity. Our priorities are completely upside-down.

So, though I agree with you, it seems to me that the last bit of good in our society is threatened... not by fans of the latest whacko, but by our apathy & lack of common sense as a people.
  • sundance Grammar... 2012/07/30 02:04:06 (edited)
    sundance
    +1
    Your wisdom shows us, that the lessons learned as a child, must have been strong, and given by a strong parent. You have a damn good head on your choulders, and I look forward to seeing more of your posts. Wisdom, tempered with logic, and delivered with respect. Very well said. You and I have a lot to talk about, my friend...Just a thought...

2014/10/25 16:56:47