Should Employees Get Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Off?

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day falls on the third Monday of the year, which is January 16 this year -- right around the corner! As much as Dr. King is acclaimed for his involvement in the civil rights movement, there has long been controversy over whether or not to dedicate a holiday to his name.

There's also an issue over whether employees and students should get the day off. By 2000, all 50 states had recognized the holiday, but in 2007 just 33% of employees had the day off. Not all schools get the day off, either. Some opt to hold special courses, assemblies, or seminars in lieu of, or in addition to, classes.

Check out our
MLK Day Quick Poll and voice your opinion on the ins-and-outs of the holiday. We'd love to hear from you!

+10
    Obviously yes! How is it possible that America refuses to honor this great man?

• bruce d 2012/01/09 23:07:06
    bruce d
    I only said no because I believe it's up to the individual business , heck any day off for any reason is good !!
  • ZB 2012/01/09 22:49:37
    ZB
    +1
    There are so many great and/or special people in our history that do not get a special day. Why should MLK? Because he was at a turning point? Because of what he did? Or because he was black? I have never had MLK Day off unless it was a normally scheduled day off. Why should anyone else get it off?
  • Stan Kapusta 2012/01/09 22:43:55
    Stan Kapusta
    Unless all have the holiday off. It's discriminatory.
  • Maverick Capitalist 2012/01/09 22:43:11
    Maverick Capitalist
    +2
    Why? Hell, we combine Washington and Lincoln and these guys did something besides get shot. But that is not to diminish King's efforts, it is simply questioning the level of importance we elevate King to. JFK and Bobby were both murdered, but aren't honored. If King had not been shot would he be elevated to the position he currently holds?
  • gaylehelen 2012/01/09 22:34:21
    gaylehelen
    Yes, it is a Federal holiday.
  • Martin McCabe 2012/01/09 22:15:55
    Martin McCabe
    Why? I don't get Emperor Norton day off.
  • truchac... Martin ... 2012/01/10 00:37:48
    truchacabra
    Why would you?
  • sonny1 2012/01/09 22:04:41
  • PM sonny1 2012/01/09 23:29:38
    PM
    Lots of rioting and looting??? Lots??? Who did that? Surely not the protestors who could have been shot for being out in the streets after dark. Who was doing the looting and rioting? You went to city after city following King? I find that hard to believe.
  • sonny1 PM 2012/01/10 03:45:27
    sonny1
    +1
    Let me see if I can put this into words that even a simpleton can understand. I never said I went to city after city following King. We did have TV back in the 60's and I know it's hard to believe but back then it was fair and balanced and not that puke you see on MSNBC and the reporters were honestly reporters, they reported what was actually happening and if you would take the time to go to any library and review actual newspapers from that time you would see just who did the rioting. Also check out the riots in Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit just to see who rioted and what the aftermath of the riots were, they even burned down there houses, did you ever hear the expression "Burn Baby Burn". Check out history and see for yourself, maybe when you grow up you will understand history and what we all can learn from it.
  • truthman sonny1 2012/01/14 11:37:33
    truthman
    I have never understood when blacks get mad and start rioting they burn down their neighborhoods then wonder where in the hell they are going to live and eat.
  • zebsmom 2012/01/09 22:02:07
    zebsmom
    +1
    No, and IMHO, the employees that do get it as a paid holidy [pretty much only gvt] shouldn't get it either. Sorry, but I feel the same way about Caezar Chavez day. Not that it wasn't a nice thing to honor them, but lets get real. They were only enacted to pander to particular voting blocs. With the country in the fiscal mess it's in, we don't need 2 more paid days off/paid overtime for working for gvt employees. [I believe Caezar Chavez day is only in CA]
  • syl 2012/01/09 22:00:02
    syl
    +1
    He's not snubbed-He already has the holiday. Also, there are plenty of Great American War Heroes, that should be honored by their own holiday, instead of lumping them all together in Veteran's Day. If people think that they have to have a day off in order to recognize MLK, that obviously shows that's bunk. They just want a day off, for whatever reason.
  • Rosemary syl 2012/01/10 00:27:03
    Rosemary
    I'm still waiting for this country to give Pearl Harbor Day a proper observance. I've never seen this day off and, if any day should be taken off from work and respected, it is this one. And I was born in 1953 so it's not as if I have a personal, vested interest. But I do come from military stock so this day is very important and personal to me.
  • syl Rosemary 2012/01/12 21:59:59
    syl
    I totally agree. What happened that day, the lives that were lost, & launching us into WWII, should deserve the day off, & respected as you say. My Dad fought in WWII-in fact he had just left Pearl Harbor in Sept, landed at California, then to WA. state, & then overseas. I'm proud of him, & all those who served our country with their very lives on the line.
  • Tom Camfield 2012/01/09 21:52:26
    Tom Camfield
    +1
    With limited choice here, I'll have to pick "no" when I'd prefer "perhaps." First of all, this is not a racial thing. Secondly, there are numerous other national holidays on which businesses remain open and employes do not get to stay home. It's pretty much government workers (and perhaps bankers) who get a full quota of lie-about days.

Meanwhile, Lincoln and Washington even had their birthdays rolled into one "Presidents' Day" which is on neither's birthday. What was that all about?

I worked many years after the government in its misguided wisdom also arbitrarily ruled that many holidays would be observed on Monday. I worked on a weekly newspaper where taking Monday off only made the work week difficult, where Friday would have been dandy. So we took off no Monday holidays . . . were given instead extra vacation days, about 5 a year.
  • cm 2012/01/09 21:51:14
    cm
    The No's lead the Yes' by 8% ummmmm
  • Brandon... cm 2012/01/09 22:00:59
    Brandon Macc
    Mostly do to the racist bigots that can't see mlk other then some black guy that gave other blacks equal rights
  • angel123 2012/01/09 21:36:13
    angel123
    Yes!!! He changed a very important law to treat all people and races the same I think that deserves a day off for people to celebrate
  • Diddley Squat 2012/01/09 21:30:41
    Diddley Squat
    Absolutely!
  • thad.rudd 2012/01/09 21:22:25
    thad.rudd
    I voted no and they registered me yes.........I wonder?
  • SmithBandit 2012/01/09 21:03:05
    SmithBandit
    but they don't have to and it should not become law
  • dzzshadz 2012/01/09 20:56:33
    dzzshadz
    I think that employees should get the day off. We all should take the day to remember how great it feels to live without suppression. I am not black but thank you Mr King for your efforts toward freedom and equality to all.
  • Reinhold 2012/01/09 20:50:05
  • chas 2012/01/09 20:48:55
    chas
    +1
    enough with "paid-holidays" !! Working in private-security in the 1980's-90's, working ALL holidays was common, with NO extra pay ! The US economy cannot sustain all these desires, of uneconomic behaviour.
  • charles... chas 2012/01/10 01:36:01
    charles nelson
    Did you ever think about a union?
  • chas charles... 2012/01/11 19:33:45
    chas
    sure. Joining "voluntarily" is the best way. Eastern PA. has very little private sector unions now. Public employee unions now just consume what tax dollars are left.
  • Stix 2012/01/09 20:47:57
    Stix
    +1
    Our government employees already make far more money then those in the private sector doing the same job...they already get gobs of paid days off...they do not need another one.
  • PM Stix 2012/01/09 23:33:50
    PM
    Where'd you get that information from? Government workers don't make as much as private industry workers, at least not for white collar jobs.
  • Stix PM 2012/01/10 00:17:09 (edited)
    Stix
    My ex wife is a state employee. She is a secratary for the lack of a better term. She makes about 60K per year after 22 years plus full benifits and retirement (over 80K per year with benifits)....tell me where secrataries make that kind of money in the private sector ON AVERAGE? My ex brother in law also is a state employee...works for the department of fisheries...makes over 100K per year with only 12 years on the job. He was being paid about 50K per year for doing similar work before he got hired by the state starting at 70K...now over 100K plus benifits. You can't tell me government employees arn't way over paid compaired to the private sector...I know better. His son works for the department of transportation as a flagger...$22 an hour for holding a stop sign...when he isn't taking a coffee break...plus benifits.
  • charles... Stix 2012/01/23 16:26:05
    charles nelson
    The answer is already there... Temp agencies....Yes lets make everyone temps....Great... no more careers... just be thankful there are still people making a middle class wage. It ain't goin to be there much longer. And always remember, its all our faults for being to greedy.
  • Stix charles... 2012/01/23 18:43:00 (edited)
    Stix
    Governement has taken too much power and costs way too much for the services received.
  • charles... Stix 2012/01/10 01:38:03
    charles nelson
    Right, Right..... take all the time you can... for your job will be gone tomorrow......
  • JGF 2012/01/09 20:37:00
    JGF
    +3
    Congress combined George Washington's birthday and Abraham Lincoln's birthday to get President's Day ...and no one gets that day off as a holiday. So why should MLK's birthday rank higher?
  • Alphadean 2012/01/09 20:35:10
    Alphadean
    +1
    I find it interesting that the man who changed the face of America in so many ways is still being snubbed.
  • Sulda Alphadean 2012/01/16 19:07:21
    Sulda
    He didn't change anything. Blacks have squandered everything he stood for. He would be insulted and ashamed of the black community as it stands today. A society of victims who complain constantly about persecution, look for government handouts, blame whites for all their problems, yet support and encourage violence-injected rap music and a culture of hatred. MLK would be soooo proud of all blacks have accomplished. His dream was for blacks and whites to get along together.. not for blacks to be a bunch of entitlement whiners and criminals.
  • Alphadean Sulda 2012/01/23 16:53:09
    Alphadean
    I don't know what "Blacks" you're talking about. All the people of color that I know are very prosperous and doing well for themselves. They have jobs, creers, are educated and raise their children to be self sufficient and successful. I have two children one is has graduated and is making 60k a year at 23... my other child is in college on the Dean's List. So what entitlement whiners and criminals are talking about. Last time I checked there are just as many white people on welfare, whining about thier needs, and so forth... so please don't get it twisted buddy and don't ever in your life try to pigeon hole me and mine into your miopic world view.
  • Sulda Alphadean 2012/03/21 07:42:20
    Sulda
    You're right. You don't know what "blacks" I'm talking about. You presume to tell me what I can and can't think or what I can and can't say? What do you "blacks" want next? The right to jail whites for speaking their mind? Forget the First Amendment and all that? You just assumed that I don't have a problem with whiny whites on welfare, but I do take issue just the same. But this isn't about them, is it? If the shoe fits, wear it. If it doesn't, it's water off a ducks back, right? Wrong. Blacks have and will always have a chip on their shoulder and you just proved that even the successful ones have to run their mouth. Where I live, it's 88% white and 5% black and 56% of the crime is committed by blacks so you run the per capita figures and tell me what those numbers show you chief and maybe then you'll understand where I'm coming from. If all you've ever known is successful blacks living in prosperity, then tell me who really has the myopic view here, hypocrite.
  • Alphadean Sulda 2012/03/23 20:00:43
    Alphadean
    And as I've proven your point you have proven mine. I grew up in one the poorest areas in upstate New York. You're probably one of those people who support that Zimmerman animal for shooting a 17 year old boy. First off you made this about color Chief not me. I never said anything about Black or white in my initial statement. I've listened to people like you all my life and its sickening. Why you might ask, well let me tell you. First off you make a statement like "Blacks have squandered everything he stood for. When I tell you about people of color who have embraced his ideals and done better for themselves, their families and communities you spout back to about some inane statistic from where you live.

I mean let's take a realistic look at what you've put down. 88% of you population is white... 5% is black, yet these black people commit more than half the crime in your area that is a sure impossability unless the only thing that 5% does is crime. This none of them have jobs, none of them contribute to the community in anyway. Let's tthink about this: Using Arbitrary numbers here 1000 people in your community 880 are white and 50 would be black let's just say there are 100 crimes committed in you community in a year this would basically state that each of these 50 black p...

I mean let's take a realistic look at what you've put down. 88% of you population is white... 5% is black, yet these black people commit more than half the crime in your area that is a sure impossability unless the only thing that 5% does is crime. This none of them have jobs, none of them contribute to the community in anyway. Let's tthink about this: Using Arbitrary numbers here 1000 people in your community 880 are white and 50 would be black let's just say there are 100 crimes committed in you community in a year this would basically state that each of these 50 black people were responsible for at leats one crime each right... No what it really shows in an ineptitude on a grand scale. It means your police force is useless. It means the justice system doesn't work in your area and it means you people have seriously sorry method of security on any level.

Wake up man
  • Sulda Alphadean 2012/03/24 22:38:33
    Sulda
    You are correct and I must admit that. My numbers were off.

In my town in 2010.. whites constituted 88.47% and blacks constituted 7.27%. Crime still at 56% and that's as of 2010. Don't care if you don't believe it.

2014/07/26 15:16:03