Should Employees Get Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Off?

SodaHead News 2012/01/06 23:17:44
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day falls on the third Monday of the year, which is January 16 this year -- right around the corner! As much as Dr. King is acclaimed for his involvement in the civil rights movement, there has long been controversy over whether or not to dedicate a holiday to his name.

There's also an issue over whether employees and students should get the day off. By 2000, all 50 states had recognized the holiday, but in 2007 just 33% of employees had the day off. Not all schools get the day off, either. Some opt to hold special courses, assemblies, or seminars in lieu of, or in addition to, classes.

Check out our
MLK Day Quick Poll and voice your opinion on the ins-and-outs of the holiday. We'd love to hear from you!

+10
    Obviously yes! How is it possible that America refuses to honor this great man?

• zebsmom 2012/01/09 22:02:07
    zebsmom
    +1
    No, and IMHO, the employees that do get it as a paid holidy [pretty much only gvt] shouldn't get it either. Sorry, but I feel the same way about Caezar Chavez day. Not that it wasn't a nice thing to honor them, but lets get real. They were only enacted to pander to particular voting blocs. With the country in the fiscal mess it's in, we don't need 2 more paid days off/paid overtime for working for gvt employees. [I believe Caezar Chavez day is only in CA]
  • syl 2012/01/09 22:00:02
    syl
    +1
    He's not snubbed-He already has the holiday. Also, there are plenty of Great American War Heroes, that should be honored by their own holiday, instead of lumping them all together in Veteran's Day. If people think that they have to have a day off in order to recognize MLK, that obviously shows that's bunk. They just want a day off, for whatever reason.
  • Rosemary syl 2012/01/10 00:27:03
    Rosemary
    I'm still waiting for this country to give Pearl Harbor Day a proper observance. I've never seen this day off and, if any day should be taken off from work and respected, it is this one. And I was born in 1953 so it's not as if I have a personal, vested interest. But I do come from military stock so this day is very important and personal to me.
  • syl Rosemary 2012/01/12 21:59:59
    syl
    I totally agree. What happened that day, the lives that were lost, & launching us into WWII, should deserve the day off, & respected as you say. My Dad fought in WWII-in fact he had just left Pearl Harbor in Sept, landed at California, then to WA. state, & then overseas. I'm proud of him, & all those who served our country with their very lives on the line.
  • Tom Camfield 2012/01/09 21:52:26
    Tom Camfield
    +1
    With limited choice here, I'll have to pick "no" when I'd prefer "perhaps." First of all, this is not a racial thing. Secondly, there are numerous other national holidays on which businesses remain open and employes do not get to stay home. It's pretty much government workers (and perhaps bankers) who get a full quota of lie-about days.

Meanwhile, Lincoln and Washington even had their birthdays rolled into one "Presidents' Day" which is on neither's birthday. What was that all about?

I worked many years after the government in its misguided wisdom also arbitrarily ruled that many holidays would be observed on Monday. I worked on a weekly newspaper where taking Monday off only made the work week difficult, where Friday would have been dandy. So we took off no Monday holidays . . . were given instead extra vacation days, about 5 a year.
  • cm 2012/01/09 21:51:14
    cm
    The No's lead the Yes' by 8% ummmmm
  • Brandon... cm 2012/01/09 22:00:59
    Brandon Macc
    Mostly do to the racist bigots that can't see mlk other then some black guy that gave other blacks equal rights
  • angel123 2012/01/09 21:36:13
    angel123
    Yes!!! He changed a very important law to treat all people and races the same I think that deserves a day off for people to celebrate
  • Diddley Squat 2012/01/09 21:30:41
    Diddley Squat
    Absolutely!
  • thad.rudd 2012/01/09 21:22:25
    thad.rudd
    I voted no and they registered me yes.........I wonder?
  • SmithBandit 2012/01/09 21:03:05
    SmithBandit
    but they don't have to and it should not become law
  • dzzshadz 2012/01/09 20:56:33
    dzzshadz
    I think that employees should get the day off. We all should take the day to remember how great it feels to live without suppression. I am not black but thank you Mr King for your efforts toward freedom and equality to all.
  • Reinhold 2012/01/09 20:50:05
  • chas 2012/01/09 20:48:55
    chas
    +1
    enough with "paid-holidays" !! Working in private-security in the 1980's-90's, working ALL holidays was common, with NO extra pay ! The US economy cannot sustain all these desires, of uneconomic behaviour.
  • charles... chas 2012/01/10 01:36:01
    charles nelson
    Did you ever think about a union?
  • chas charles... 2012/01/11 19:33:45
    chas
    sure. Joining "voluntarily" is the best way. Eastern PA. has very little private sector unions now. Public employee unions now just consume what tax dollars are left.
  • Stix 2012/01/09 20:47:57
    Stix
    +1
    Our government employees already make far more money then those in the private sector doing the same job...they already get gobs of paid days off...they do not need another one.
  • PM Stix 2012/01/09 23:33:50
    PM
    Where'd you get that information from? Government workers don't make as much as private industry workers, at least not for white collar jobs.
  • Stix PM 2012/01/10 00:17:09 (edited)
    Stix
    My ex wife is a state employee. She is a secratary for the lack of a better term. She makes about 60K per year after 22 years plus full benifits and retirement (over 80K per year with benifits)....tell me where secrataries make that kind of money in the private sector ON AVERAGE? My ex brother in law also is a state employee...works for the department of fisheries...makes over 100K per year with only 12 years on the job. He was being paid about 50K per year for doing similar work before he got hired by the state starting at 70K...now over 100K plus benifits. You can't tell me government employees arn't way over paid compaired to the private sector...I know better. His son works for the department of transportation as a flagger...$22 an hour for holding a stop sign...when he isn't taking a coffee break...plus benifits.
  • charles... Stix 2012/01/23 16:26:05
    charles nelson
    The answer is already there... Temp agencies....Yes lets make everyone temps....Great... no more careers... just be thankful there are still people making a middle class wage. It ain't goin to be there much longer. And always remember, its all our faults for being to greedy.
  • Stix charles... 2012/01/23 18:43:00 (edited)
    Stix
    Governement has taken too much power and costs way too much for the services received.
  • charles... Stix 2012/01/10 01:38:03
    charles nelson
    Right, Right..... take all the time you can... for your job will be gone tomorrow......
  • JGF 2012/01/09 20:37:00
    JGF
    +3
    Congress combined George Washington's birthday and Abraham Lincoln's birthday to get President's Day ...and no one gets that day off as a holiday. So why should MLK's birthday rank higher?
  • Alphadean 2012/01/09 20:35:10
    Alphadean
    +1
    I find it interesting that the man who changed the face of America in so many ways is still being snubbed.
  • Sulda Alphadean 2012/01/16 19:07:21
    Sulda
    He didn't change anything. Blacks have squandered everything he stood for. He would be insulted and ashamed of the black community as it stands today. A society of victims who complain constantly about persecution, look for government handouts, blame whites for all their problems, yet support and encourage violence-injected rap music and a culture of hatred. MLK would be soooo proud of all blacks have accomplished. His dream was for blacks and whites to get along together.. not for blacks to be a bunch of entitlement whiners and criminals.
  • Alphadean Sulda 2012/01/23 16:53:09
    Alphadean
    I don't know what "Blacks" you're talking about. All the people of color that I know are very prosperous and doing well for themselves. They have jobs, creers, are educated and raise their children to be self sufficient and successful. I have two children one is has graduated and is making 60k a year at 23... my other child is in college on the Dean's List. So what entitlement whiners and criminals are talking about. Last time I checked there are just as many white people on welfare, whining about thier needs, and so forth... so please don't get it twisted buddy and don't ever in your life try to pigeon hole me and mine into your miopic world view.
  • Sulda Alphadean 2012/03/21 07:42:20
    Sulda
    You're right. You don't know what "blacks" I'm talking about. You presume to tell me what I can and can't think or what I can and can't say? What do you "blacks" want next? The right to jail whites for speaking their mind? Forget the First Amendment and all that? You just assumed that I don't have a problem with whiny whites on welfare, but I do take issue just the same. But this isn't about them, is it? If the shoe fits, wear it. If it doesn't, it's water off a ducks back, right? Wrong. Blacks have and will always have a chip on their shoulder and you just proved that even the successful ones have to run their mouth. Where I live, it's 88% white and 5% black and 56% of the crime is committed by blacks so you run the per capita figures and tell me what those numbers show you chief and maybe then you'll understand where I'm coming from. If all you've ever known is successful blacks living in prosperity, then tell me who really has the myopic view here, hypocrite.
  • Alphadean Sulda 2012/03/23 20:00:43
    Alphadean
    And as I've proven your point you have proven mine. I grew up in one the poorest areas in upstate New York. You're probably one of those people who support that Zimmerman animal for shooting a 17 year old boy. First off you made this about color Chief not me. I never said anything about Black or white in my initial statement. I've listened to people like you all my life and its sickening. Why you might ask, well let me tell you. First off you make a statement like "Blacks have squandered everything he stood for. When I tell you about people of color who have embraced his ideals and done better for themselves, their families and communities you spout back to about some inane statistic from where you live.

I mean let's take a realistic look at what you've put down. 88% of you population is white... 5% is black, yet these black people commit more than half the crime in your area that is a sure impossability unless the only thing that 5% does is crime. This none of them have jobs, none of them contribute to the community in anyway. Let's tthink about this: Using Arbitrary numbers here 1000 people in your community 880 are white and 50 would be black let's just say there are 100 crimes committed in you community in a year this would basically state that each of these 50 black p...

I mean let's take a realistic look at what you've put down. 88% of you population is white... 5% is black, yet these black people commit more than half the crime in your area that is a sure impossability unless the only thing that 5% does is crime. This none of them have jobs, none of them contribute to the community in anyway. Let's tthink about this: Using Arbitrary numbers here 1000 people in your community 880 are white and 50 would be black let's just say there are 100 crimes committed in you community in a year this would basically state that each of these 50 black people were responsible for at leats one crime each right... No what it really shows in an ineptitude on a grand scale. It means your police force is useless. It means the justice system doesn't work in your area and it means you people have seriously sorry method of security on any level.

Wake up man
  • Sulda Alphadean 2012/03/24 22:38:33
    Sulda
    You are correct and I must admit that. My numbers were off.

In my town in 2010.. whites constituted 88.47% and blacks constituted 7.27%. Crime still at 56% and that's as of 2010. Don't care if you don't believe it.
  • Alphadean Sulda 2012/04/01 19:03:48
    Alphadean
    I'm glad you don't care... be cause I don't care either. Live your life in your bubble of sensless and biased belief. I will live mine and I hope we never meet in the real world. Have a good one... we can just agree to disagree... Good Night.
  • Sulda Alphadean 2012/04/04 19:12:29
    Sulda
    Hypocrite. You dare suggest that nothing is wrong because all the wannabe blacks (who are actually nothing like blacks because they've interbred with whites so much) have no problems at all... no.. a black criminal? pssshh.. who could ever imagine such a thing? After all, all the blacks YOU know are filthy rich, amirite? Don't insult my intelligence with that crap. I don't want to drive through a ghetto anymore than I want to drive through a trailer park, but if I drove through a trailer park, I'm not likely to be robbed or killed for being white. Nevermind that the DOJ says blacks are 50 TIMES more likely to commit crimes against whites than whites against blacks... oh, but that's just more statistics you'll say are fake and made up. You're the exact kind of "black" I'm talking about. Deflect all blame.. no responsibility.. nothing is ever a black's fault.. ever. It's all the evil white man's fault. Well take your big happy ass back to africa then... OH, but wait.. can't do that! There aren't any white folks to blame over there and I'm sure you wouldn't look very appealing in a grass skirt. Your "people" have killed and raped and robbed my "people" for too long and told us to keep our mouths shut about it, but the second a white person commits a crime against a bl...
    Hypocrite. You dare suggest that nothing is wrong because all the wannabe blacks (who are actually nothing like blacks because they've interbred with whites so much) have no problems at all... no.. a black criminal? pssshh.. who could ever imagine such a thing? After all, all the blacks YOU know are filthy rich, amirite? Don't insult my intelligence with that crap. I don't want to drive through a ghetto anymore than I want to drive through a trailer park, but if I drove through a trailer park, I'm not likely to be robbed or killed for being white. Nevermind that the DOJ says blacks are 50 TIMES more likely to commit crimes against whites than whites against blacks... oh, but that's just more statistics you'll say are fake and made up. You're the exact kind of "black" I'm talking about. Deflect all blame.. no responsibility.. nothing is ever a black's fault.. ever. It's all the evil white man's fault. Well take your big happy ass back to africa then... OH, but wait.. can't do that! There aren't any white folks to blame over there and I'm sure you wouldn't look very appealing in a grass skirt. Your "people" have killed and raped and robbed my "people" for too long and told us to keep our mouths shut about it, but the second a white person commits a crime against a black.... holy hell here comes sharpton and jackson to the rescue, lets riot in the streets... lets sick the black panthers on people... Yeah, I have beef with whites and other people too, but I'll be damned if you're going to just sit there all smug and try to say black people are all wealthy and don't cause trouble... disgusting.
  • Alphadean Alphadean 2012/04/05 06:20:54
    Alphadean
    Normally I would ignore your ignorance, but you sir are a 1st class idiot. We did not inter-breed with you. You interbred with us. Slave owners who brought us here could not keep their hands off all those beautiful black women. And your women loved our big blackness. So there is the 1st place you’re wrong. I never said there were no black criminals or that black people did not commit crimes. And I could care less what the Dept. of Justice says. This why a young black man is dead right now, for walking down the street with a bag a skittles and can of iced tea… and white man is free. Just like the thousands of Blacks that have been killed over the last 100 years in the south.
    Again I see you didn’t read my early post. I grew up in the ghetto and I grew out of the ghetto as did many of us. You need to stop watching TV and listening to other idiots and you might learn something. I don’t blame white, just like I don’t blame people. Nor do I deflect blame. Yet, I blame society for allowing ignorance such as yours to still run rampant. And as far as your stupid statement about driving through a ghetto or a trailer park, the likeliness of someone robbing you or murdering you is all about the same depending on where you are. You’ve never been profiled because of the color of ...

Again I see you didn’t read my early post. I grew up in the ghetto and I grew out of the ghetto as did many of us. You need to stop watching TV and listening to other idiots and you might learn something. I don’t blame white, just like I don’t blame people. Nor do I deflect blame. Yet, I blame society for allowing ignorance such as yours to still run rampant. And as far as your stupid statement about driving through a ghetto or a trailer park, the likeliness of someone robbing you or murdering you is all about the same depending on where you are. You’ve never been profiled because of the color of skin, you’ve never been pulled over for suspicious behavior when you’re driving the speed limit, or an dangerous lane change and no one is on the road but you and the cop and he’s in front of you and the list goes on and on.
    And then you want to talk about raping people, robbing people, murdering people… Your history is chalk full. There is not a single culture that the white man has touched that he hasn’t raped, maimed, scarred and damn near committed genocide. I’m so tired of you people talking that go back to Africa crap also… Why don’t you go back to Europe. Oh you can’t because if you trace your heritage back to mayflower you were all a bunch of criminals and undesirables as it is. If you were immigrant after that time Go home anyway. And so you know my half Native American and half African America… So I have more claim here than you do… Your people stole a country and when you couldn’t dominate them you tried to kill them all. If not for my people you would have never survived here. Check your history books. You didn’t know how to till the land or plant the proper foods to replenish the soil. You didn’t know how to survive the winters here. Yet the same people who met you with open arms, you cheated, murdered and raped.
    Then you brought slaves over here, because your people were too lazy to do the work themselves. You raped these people, robbed them of their culture and identities and now you want to complain about our diluted blood lines. You’re just jealous of us because we embody everything you wish you could be. Every summer you bastards are laying trying to get tan… but you don’t see black folks laying in the winter trying to get a fade…
    I was truly done with you… but I’ll be damned if I let you sit there and act as if you have no fault. I know there is crime in the black community, I also know that my people commit atrocities. I’ll tell you this though we learned it from you and yours… people just like you. And if I promise you, I woke up one morning and realized I was thinking like you I’d kill myelf… You’re disgusting and with that ladies and gentlemen I’m done… Honestly
  • Thomas Belanger 2012/01/09 20:25:38
    Thomas Belanger
    +2
    Do we have any holidays for any non-whites? MLK is certainly as worthy as "Columbus Day" , which is farcical.
  • Nicole 2012/01/09 20:17:58
    Nicole
    +1
    if they get this day off then they should get a day off for every important person.in american history.My daughters school does not even observe presidents day!
  • Sulda 2012/01/09 20:12:52
    Sulda
    +4
    We should have National White month. And also, we should have colleges that only white people can go to, and scholarships that only white people can get. We should allow white people to get exemptions that nobody else can get. We should allow organizations to exist that solely look out for the advancement of the white race. OH BUT WAIT THAT WOULD BE RACIST!!! Screw the hypocrite black community.
  • dzzshadz Sulda 2012/01/09 21:13:46 (edited)
    dzzshadz
    +1
    We do have all those things you spoke of and more. Oh and when has anyone in your family been beat pissed on and murdered just because of there color. Or maybe Hung and then burned alive. There are people still alive who have seen that and maybe worse in there lifetimes. Mr King wasn't fighting just for black people it was to open our eyes to. We all need help today don't hate because your ignorant.
  • cm dzzshadz 2012/01/09 21:49:48
    cm
    +1
    What month is National White Month? Last year my white nephew was murdered by a gang of blacks just because he was white and in the wrong place at the wrong time. To think it only happens to blacks is delusional.
  • PM cm 2012/01/09 23:45:12 (edited)
    PM
    +2
    For the record, there's no "National Black Month" either. There is however, Black "History" Month. A month to recognize the historical efforts of Black American's contribution to this society.

Not to diminish your loss, but the things dzz spoke of were common place and happened to Blacks on a daily basis for hundreds of years. Again, there's been a lot of hurt on both sides, but the reason for a King Day is becasue the brutality was systemic in America's past and King Day is a reminder of what we have overcome.
  • dzzshadz cm 2012/01/21 05:30:10
    dzzshadz
    You are so right you shouldn't be killed because of your color. I've been threatend by two black guys my self because I am a white man. They had a gun and were vary scary. Those two were idiots. Not all black people are like that. I'm sorry about your nephew that is horrible. Yet if you read or talk to people who know many black people have been murdered. They were killed because of the color of there skin. Don't forget the water hoses, being hit, spit on and raped. Giving a day to remember the fight for peace and equality is not to much to do.
  • Sulda dzzshadz 2012/03/21 07:46:15
    Sulda
    Whatever, dude. Blacks have committed more crimes against their own race than any other race ever has. How many of them died in slavery in the US? I bet it wasn't more than the number of Americans who died freeing them (700,000). The majority of crimes committed against blacks are by blacks, so don't event try to cop that crap. If they didn't have a culture of hatred, violence, criminality, and victimization, things would be different. But they didn't follow what MLK wanted. Far from it. MLK would be PISSED to see how far down the toilet they've gone.

2014/04/20 06:01:50