Should Employees Get Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Off?

SodaHead News 2012/01/06 23:17:44
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day falls on the third Monday of the year, which is January 16 this year -- right around the corner! As much as Dr. King is acclaimed for his involvement in the civil rights movement, there has long been controversy over whether or not to dedicate a holiday to his name.

There's also an issue over whether employees and students should get the day off. By 2000, all 50 states had recognized the holiday, but in 2007 just 33% of employees had the day off. Not all schools get the day off, either. Some opt to hold special courses, assemblies, or seminars in lieu of, or in addition to, classes.

Check out our
MLK Day Quick Poll and voice your opinion on the ins-and-outs of the holiday. We'd love to hear from you!

+10
    Obviously yes! How is it possible that America refuses to honor this great man?

• Lucy Pa... Robert 2012/02/17 16:32:16
    Lucy Pannell
    I understand your complaints and appreciate the history lesson. However, Presidents Day first off honors Abe Lincoln and George Washington. And yes, I consider what these two presidents did for this nation equal in propelling this nation forward to Dr. Kings endeavours. Note, that I said THIS NATION not BLACK AMERICANS and also I must remind you in the timeline of history, that neither of these Presidents were in office during the time of Dr.King. Washington gets credit for there being a nation at all. Now I agree that the nation is built on stolen land, but we are in fact a nation and not a territory of England, who would you credit for that if not George Washington??? And Abraham Lincoln signed a proclamation that set course for slaves to embark on the road that lead to civil rights. Now I am not claiming that any of these men are without flaws, including Dr. King. But the things that they did in their life times that ultimately led to a black President of the United States is undeniable. One event does not exist without the other.
  • Robert Lucy Pa... 2012/02/21 15:26:55
    Robert
    You don't really think you have to remind me that GW and AL were in office before MLK do you? You're just trying to get smart. But I'll forgive you. I know you didn't say "BLACK AMERICANS". Neither did I. You said THIS NATION. I said WHITES. There's the difference. As far as crediting GW? Of course he was president, however, I know you know there was a whole lot more to that war. Everyone knows who Paul Revere was, but who was Crispus Attucks? Abraham Lincoln! Well who was Harriett Tubman, John Brown, Rev Nat Turner, Rev Denmark Vessey and Rev Gabriel Prosser? Who was Frederick Douglas and Rev Dr. Henry Highland Garnet, David Walker and others? Abraham Lincoln's signing was a the end of a process, it only effected the boarder states, not the south. That's why southern blacks celebrate "Juneteenth." The "Proclamation" only made legal what was already happening. As Abe said, his goal was to save the Union and not to end slavery. He said that he'd keep slavery if it would save the Union. And neither one of their actions led to the election of the first African American President. Their struggle wasn't one of freedom, it was one of oppression. As far as their flaws are concerned. I'd doubt anyone with a little knowledge of history would, in no way, whatsoever,...
    You don't really think you have to remind me that GW and AL were in office before MLK do you? You're just trying to get smart. But I'll forgive you. I know you didn't say "BLACK AMERICANS". Neither did I. You said THIS NATION. I said WHITES. There's the difference. As far as crediting GW? Of course he was president, however, I know you know there was a whole lot more to that war. Everyone knows who Paul Revere was, but who was Crispus Attucks? Abraham Lincoln! Well who was Harriett Tubman, John Brown, Rev Nat Turner, Rev Denmark Vessey and Rev Gabriel Prosser? Who was Frederick Douglas and Rev Dr. Henry Highland Garnet, David Walker and others? Abraham Lincoln's signing was a the end of a process, it only effected the boarder states, not the south. That's why southern blacks celebrate "Juneteenth." The "Proclamation" only made legal what was already happening. As Abe said, his goal was to save the Union and not to end slavery. He said that he'd keep slavery if it would save the Union. And neither one of their actions led to the election of the first African American President. Their struggle wasn't one of freedom, it was one of oppression. As far as their flaws are concerned. I'd doubt anyone with a little knowledge of history would, in no way, whatsoever, compare the so called "Founding Fathers" flaws with Dr. Kings. George Washington and some of the other founders owned slaves and as a result were criminals and determined that the Africans were 3/5ths human, which means 2/5ths animal. And the natives weren't human at all. They
  • Lucy Pa... Robert 2012/02/27 14:14:30
    Lucy Pannell
    Again I appreciate the history lesson...or should I say refresher. But I stand by the statement that what these men did in their lifetimes equally propelled this nation forward, and that latter events do not exist without the preceding events. The original question was about the acknowledgement of the Federal holidays and whether or not observance is appropriate, not how blacks suffered and not whether or not the Presidents recognized for Prez Day did anything for the advancement of minorities in this country. It is simply my opinion that the 3 men are great in their own right. As for AL legalizing something that was already taking place...isnt that how most laws are changed and or brought about???
  • Robert Lucy Pa... 2012/03/01 14:34:41
    Robert
    I know what the original question was. And a discussion of this type will always will be about who suffered. Because it always will be about racism/white supremacy. And it will always be about who's perspective is being observed. One says certain men propelled the country forward and other's say they were white supremacists.
  • Lucy Pa... Robert 2012/03/05 16:59:44
    Lucy Pannell
    It is your opinion that they were white supremacists, so then is it also your opinion too that there should not be a holiday to recognize these presidents or any others for that matter???
  • Robert Lucy Pa... 2012/03/08 17:58:06
    Robert
    President's day used to be George Washington's Birthday. I don't doubt that anyone would say these presidents weren't white supremacists. However, I don't use linear logic. Meaning one thing has to automatically lead to another. Of course this country should have a presidents day, are you serious. Maybe you don't think so! However, since America is a country based on racism white supremacy under the facade of justice (just this), it would stand a reason that it would honor a few of its leaders who are rather presentable. After all, George owned slaves and didn't free them while he was alive. I don't think that any one with the least bit of common sense would argue over that. But for you to assume I'm saying that they shouldn't have a holiday is manipulating this dialog to its furthest extremes, to say the least. I believe most countries have holidays for it's leaders. And George and Abe were some of America's leaders, if not two of it's most important and revolutionary ones. One resided over the founding of this country and the other resided over its civil revolution and the revolution of it's industrial status. But to deny the fact that George and Abe were white supremacist would be flat out psychotic. And to imply that I'm saying that there shouldn't be a presidents day (besides the fact that I enjoy the day off) is manipulation at it's finest.
  • Lucy Pa... Robert 2012/03/09 17:27:58
    Lucy Pannell
    Well Well now, you sound rather testy. Now I am being manipulative because I asked you for your point of view of the holiday in itself??? Understand that with your last post you have just made my point...Each of these men have solidified there place in this nation's history among the ranks of the greatness that has propelled this nation forward. Which is what I stated in the beginning. So thanks for ultimately co-signing on my original comment.
  • Robert Lucy Pa... 2012/03/15 15:56:57
    Robert
    If course I'll agree that a nation's leaders should be celebrated. That is how you manage a nation. There are nation's whose leaders are degenerates and we won't celebrate them, but that nation will.

I didn't see where you asked my "point of view of the holiday in itself." You asked me "so then is it also your opinion too that there should not be a holiday to recognize these presidents or any others for that matter???" A lawyer would object on that is a leading question, LOL! That's why I wrote that is a manipulative question, The next thing you will do is make accusations of Anti-Americanism, etc. I'm on to your game baby! Trying to be slick, etc. Let's be clear, you weren't asking me my point of view nor my opinion. You're question was set to a certain parameter, a certain frame of reference,

People get testy talking about cars, sports, politics, fashion ware, who's screwing who. Feminists are testy when discussing sexism. Why not get testy when discussing racism/white supremacy?
  • Lucy Pa... Robert 2012/03/15 18:49:20
    Lucy Pannell
    Ha!!!! Mr. Robert you are a HOOT!!! Now you can spin this anyway you choose. But in the end you have co-signed. Thanks!!!
  • Robert Lucy Pa... 2012/03/22 14:55:58
    Robert
    Well, I see agreeing with you is spinning huh! And you didn't ask my opinion. You tried to get me to cosign on your opinion and you don't like how I handled it. I corrected you and your attempts to be slick. Apparently you don't understand what manipulation means. In this case, you are the spinner. Now Lucy, any more comments about this means you want attention. What do you look like by the way?
  • Lucy Pa... Robert 2012/03/23 16:08:57
    Lucy Pannell
    You are spinning Sir because you started in one position and have ultimately come into agreement with the point of view you chose to originally side against. As far as you correcting me... I should say not!!! LOL!!! But if it makes you feel important or superior to think so...well suit yourself. Now you said that if I had any further comments...then I am seeking attention. ONLY to then ask me a question, What do I look like asks the man with no face... Really??? SO Now that I have made further comment, an attention seeker I shall be... LOL!!! You are Hysterical!!!!
  • teena CommonS... 2012/01/10 17:49:42
    teena
    +1
    Wrong!!! Oh, you meant for the white ppl they did more. That you would be correct.
  • J teena 2012/01/10 22:29:01
    J
    If you ain't white, they did more for you. Only because they weren't black, you won't want to give them any credit. And you won't want to honor them ...or King's dream. All you know is that Dr. King was a black man and he was fighting for the blacks. Not really - he was fighting for EQUALITY. Judging a man by his character - not his skin color. Too many blacks want to acknowledge that King was a good man and had a great purpose, but don't want to live up to his expectations.
  • teena J 2012/01/12 19:09:52
    teena
    J, just which comment are you addressing? I honor each ethnicity who contributed to our society---esp blacks. The civil rights movement, along with Dr King is what paved the way for equal opportunity for each minority group----including white women and the gay community.
  • cestmon... CommonS... 2012/01/10 21:44:15
    cestmonopinion
    He did more for black people than president Washington or Lincoln.
  • J cestmon... 2012/01/10 22:29:36
    J
    You know SO little about American history. Oh, how are your African ancestors?
  • Robert CommonS... 2012/02/02 14:47:46
    Robert
    I'm not trying to be funny, but all three of them did more for this country than you have right? Right? Dr. King was a private citizen who campaigned for justice, peace and the demand that American actually practices what it preaches which it still doesn't. What does what day most people don't get a day off have to do with this? You should be demanding a day yourself, if you want one, instead of complaining about what others get. And if you don't want one then fine, stay in the background and out of the way of others. And if you can't get one, then that means your employer probably is anti American.
  • RobertChristopherLaity 2012/01/10 10:37:54
    RobertChristopherLaity
    It IS a Holiday.
  • teena Ron Swa... 2012/01/10 17:50:07
    teena
    Wrong you racist pig!
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/01/10 06:08:14
    MOMMA THOMAS
    YES.
  • phylly3 2012/01/10 05:53:29
    phylly3
    +1
    Yes. If slave owners are celebrated in this country, and they are, then a public figure who stood for equality, understanding, tolerance and inclusion should be afforded the honor. As for employees getting the day off, it would be appropriate but most companies do not offer more than a few holidays off yearly, so it would be up the owners to decide, unless holidays are negotiated.
  • bt sedlock 2012/01/10 05:29:46
    bt sedlock
    +1
    I already have Martin Luther King Day off.
  • Charles R. Anderson 2012/01/10 04:13:53
    Charles R. Anderson
    +3
    Few small businesses are able to pay employees for days they are not working. The reality is that for each additional holiday, a business has to reduce the amount it pays its employees. We can have many, many holidays as long as most people are willing to take a large reduction in pay. For some, this means losing jobs, because the minimum wage laws will not allow the minimum wage to be reduced.

Federal government workers get MLK off. My wife works in a VA hospital in DC and most of the employees are black. Most of them clamor to work on MLK day so they can get double pay, but few of them are willing to work on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas, and Easter. This seems very reasonable to me, but if MLK day means that little to them, then why is it such a big deal to anyone else?
  • teena Charles... 2012/01/10 17:52:14
  • J teena 2012/01/10 22:30:56
    J
    I know more blacks that don't work at all than do work. I know it is a lot in where I live, but those very ones who scream about EQULITY the loudest, are the ones less willing to earn or work for it.
  • teena J 2012/01/12 19:15:20
    teena
    J, here is another tab bit of valuable information, because of the very fabric of how our society was develped blacks and other minorities will always be higher on the totem pole of unemployed. Furthermore, there is a huge difference in not finding employment and not wanting to work. You have the very bigoted attitude that blacks are lazy, want a handout and refuse to work. Do a history inventory and you will find the very idea came from whites during slavery when they refused to let blacks learn to read, write or have employment other than working their plantations. The idea blacks are lazy is because whites wanted society to believe blacks must be told what to do or they would do nothing. Furthermore, the entire premise of the idea of blacks needing to be told what to do came from the very fact that whites imported and stole Africans from their native land and forced them into servituded. It is difficult to know how, what and read when you speak an entirely different language.
  • middsteve 2012/01/10 04:05:05
    middsteve
    +2
    NO! I'm tired of hearing about him.
  • cestmon... middsteve 2012/01/10 21:46:58
    cestmonopinion
    Well I'm tired of hearing about Columbus and other dead white men. But they're part of the history of this land and so is Dr. King. Get over it.
  • marcus armijo 2012/01/10 03:52:13
    marcus armijo
    I didn't realize we didn't.
  • Cat 2012/01/10 03:46:53
    Cat
    +5
    MLK like other strong men that did something great for this country should be honored with respect. Prejudice should not be ignored nor forgotten. When it comes to Veterans Day I think not as I have never been military and think only Veterans and Military should have the day off or more, give them all off and let us be there for them.
  • bbwolf35 2012/01/10 03:41:30
    bbwolf35
    +1
    Wasn't that a time...wasn't that a terrible time?
  • harliecharlie 2012/01/10 03:28:56
    harliecharlie
    +3
    there were more important people in the u.s.a. than him.....that did things for all americans...
  • bonnie harliec... 2012/01/10 13:33:45
    bonnie
    +2
    Why do you people still hate any black man that does anything to make life better for everyone. Dr. King Obams. Live with it.
  • teena harliec... 2012/01/10 17:52:50
    teena
    Who were those people and are all those ppl white? Please elaborate.
  • cestmon... harliec... 2012/01/10 21:50:09
    cestmonopinion
    Believe me, ending desegregation was a very important thing for this country, as important as anything any other american has done. It's on a scale with winning the Revolutionary war, the civil war and WWII. If you don't believe this, you need to crack a history book and reflect. American would not be the land it is today without the contribution of Dr. King and other leaders of the civil rights era.
  • J cestmon... 2012/01/10 22:34:22
    J
    You are right. It is on the same scale with the Revolutionary War (we don't celebrate Columbus Day), the Civil War (we don't celebrate Lee Day or even Lincoln Day), and WWII, (we don't celebrate the Death of Hitler Day). We have Memorial Day. This is the day that ALL great Americans - and equal to the Mililtary men and women who have shed their blood and given their sweat and riches and status for this nation should be celebrated.
  • truchac... harliec... 2012/01/11 16:47:26
    truchacabra
    What he did WAS for all Americans, ALL Americans. Perhaps the greatest example of his work was how he drew attention to how many ordinary Americans, poor Americans of all ethnicities were humping it in Vietnam for the privileged class.
    He wasn't a great black man, a great Christian man, but a great man. While I know you're not arguing against that, it bears mentioning.
  • Edie 2012/01/10 03:19:43
    Edie
    +3
    If everyone that did something good was voted to have a day off work in their honor not many days of work would taken place.
  • cestmon... Edie 2012/01/10 21:51:03
    cestmonopinion
    Um, we're not just talking about anybody. Like I said, read some history, reflect, get back to us.
  • Edie cestmon... 2012/01/11 03:23:14
    Edie
    Martin Luther King was an average person doing the right thing.

2014/04/16 10:43:59