Should Employees Get Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Off?

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day falls on the third Monday of the year, which is January 16 this year -- right around the corner! As much as Dr. King is acclaimed for his involvement in the civil rights movement, there has long been controversy over whether or not to dedicate a holiday to his name.

There's also an issue over whether employees and students should get the day off. By 2000, all 50 states had recognized the holiday, but in 2007 just 33% of employees had the day off. Not all schools get the day off, either. Some opt to hold special courses, assemblies, or seminars in lieu of, or in addition to, classes.

Check out our
MLK Day Quick Poll and voice your opinion on the ins-and-outs of the holiday. We'd love to hear from you!

+10
    Obviously yes! How is it possible that America refuses to honor this great man?

• J teena 2012/01/10 22:23:55
    J
    Like who?
  • teena J 2012/01/12 19:03:59
    teena
    Washington's Birthday, Columbus day, Presidents day ( although now we have our first ethnic president and he too will be included.)

As I stated before, there was a time when we celebrated Lincoln and Washington's birthday. Our country just begun to be more diverst as it's citizen's in celebrating each culture which contributed to our society.
  • Robert Gil 2012/01/10 22:07:29
    Robert
    Gil, I wonder how many or what do most in the private sector really know about the government. How many government employees they actually know. For example, say a farmer in Idaho. I'll bet the only government employee that they've ever come into contact with, that is one that they recognize, is an inspector. They deal with this inspector and they think that they know all about the government. The "private sector" works for itself and it's own profits. The government works for society and it's staffed by people, it's not an inanimate object.
  • J Robert 2012/01/10 22:25:59
    J
    +1
    That "farmer" deals with more government officials than most people ever encounter - you see, he is getting a "welfare check" for not planting, losses from cold weather, losses from hot weather, losses from too much rain, losses from not enough rain, losses from too much fertilizer, losses from not enough fertilizer, growing the right crop, growing the wrong crop. etc.
  • Robert J 2012/01/19 14:53:38
    Robert
    +2
    LOL! You're right J. I stand corrected. Did I have a narrow view of farmers. Wow! All of that corruption and with the hugh mega industries like Monsato and etc. Thanks for pulling my head out of the sand.
  • LilacsG... Robert 2012/02/01 11:53:56
  • Robert LilacsG... 2012/02/02 14:31:56
    Robert
    You're writing this to me? I just reviewed my input to this thread just above and nothing I wrote remotely said anything about not knowing how hard farming is. NOTHING. I was responding to J and you can't tell me that J was lying. Also, you can't tell me that some American farmers aren't subsidized. Especially with the corporate farming industry, Monsanto and others. If you want to pick on someone or vent, vent to the right person. At least, get the subject straight, which was about MLK.
  • LilacsG... J 2012/02/01 12:07:36 (edited)
  • J LilacsG... 2012/02/02 17:07:34
    J
    Get real. How much farm subsidy money actually goes to livestock producers? Very, very little. I have NO problem with helping the food producers on this nation, but I do have a problem with subsidizing corn so farmers can sell it to fuel producers. I do have a problem with the government paying farmers NOT to plant. It annoys the crap out of me when you have a productive farm, then the farmer finds out he can make more by putting his farm in "conservation" (wetlands management) and then leasing it to hunters - and getting a hefty check from the gov't, and the hunters at the same time.

There is more waste in farm subsidies then money spent where it needs to be.

And I do have a great idea of what farmers troubles can be. Not only did I work for a division of the USDA for decades, I also own cattle, poultry (yard chickens) and hogs. I live in one of the most agricultural areas in the country, where row crops are the dominate source of income.

And the "government inspections, regulations,... regulations and conditions" weren't so overwhelming, more farmers could be more prosperous without the government interfering.
  • pamela j. J 2014/07/27 08:11:34
    pamela j.
    You bet!!! I live in west texas and I know many farmer's...i'm from a small town surrounded by cotton fields...right now it's cotton chopping time...i have a very large extended hispanic family and alot of them are making extra money that way...it's hard, hot as nd sweaty work...i know because i've done it too...and i'm white!!! So there...lolol
  • johnnyg 2012/01/10 14:58:27
    johnnyg
    Unless the boss gives them the day off.
  • redneck 2012/01/10 14:24:10
    redneck
    He has his day ,that should be good enough.He did alot of good for racisim and the black people to become one.Whttp://urbanlegends.abou... have alot of great Americains,who did alot for society.Some have there day and some don't.
  • redneck redneck 2012/01/10 14:26:25
    redneck
    http://urbanlegends.about.com...
    Read all of it before you call me a racist,just some facts and lies about MLK..
  • teena redneck 2012/01/10 17:48:58
    teena
    You should do more research and investigating before going with an urban legends. You do realize an urban legend is not fact but fiction----I guess you didn't since you posted it as fact.
  • redneck teena 2012/01/11 05:01:09
    redneck
    I guess you did not read it because you still don't get it .
  • teena redneck 2012/01/12 19:06:49
    teena
    Redneck, I did read it. Obviously, you dont' get it! Did I read the rebuttal to the diatribe-----most definitely!
  • redneck teena 2012/01/13 00:55:23
    redneck
    It also corrected myth and showed the facts,the same on at least 5 different sites had the same information.Other sites said that he was taken out because he would not play ball with the elite,and JFK warned him about it.Turns out they both lost .
  • teena redneck 2012/01/13 20:56:02
    teena
    You have not evidence to support your theory nor the theory of the writer. This is another example of the magic bullet.
  • Robert redneck 2012/02/02 14:22:48
    Robert
    You think MLK only worked on racism and only for blacks?
  • bonnie 2012/01/10 13:28:30
    bonnie
    +3
    I feel that we should honor this man for helping to bring people together in a civilided manner. I lived throught the assasination of Dr. King and President Kennedy and those were very sad days.
  • Lucy Pannell 2012/01/10 13:20:50
    Lucy Pannell
    +1
    It is a Federal Holiday and so therefore should be a knowledged as such.
  • CommonSense 2012/01/10 12:55:34
    CommonSense
    +1
    Most people do not get President's Day off and both Lincoln and Washington did more for this country than MLK.
  • Lucy Pa... CommonS... 2012/01/10 14:36:56
    Lucy Pannell
    I was thinking that too, but I think that too should be changed and be observed across the board as well. I think MOST of American holidays have and are losing recognition and observance
  • Robert Lucy Pa... 2012/02/02 14:49:37
    Robert
    I agree with you but not CommonS. The problem is we get these days off and are commercially influenced. But, I believe it's fine for Presidents day but not MLK's.
  • Lucy Pa... Robert 2012/02/06 14:59:36
    Lucy Pannell
    Just a disclaimer... I agreed that Prez day should be observed but not that the Prez's recognized did more for the country than MLK. I consider them all to be equals in propelling the nation forward
  • Robert Lucy Pa... 2012/02/15 18:25:33
    Robert
    +1
    This is not necessarily so. If Dr. King and the presidents equally moved the country forward, whites wouldn't have a most of the land that they have now, because all of it was stolen. From sea to shining sea. Not just by warfare, but also by creating Sundown Towns. They wouldn't have the businesses that they have now. This includes the immigrants that came over in late 19th and early 20th centuries which black came before. Came here several hundred years before the European immigrants who like to claim that they came over hear with nothing. This is not true!. They came with their languages, their cultures, their since of justice and the ability to live and congregate with their own and to maintain their pride and self respect, etc. The only way the indigenous could was to live on reservations in poverty! the Chinese had to create China towns. At least they could do that. Imagine Africa Towns! And the result was a loyalty amongst european groups that still exists to this very day. All of the lynchings would have been investigated. All that had to be done to a black man was to accuse him of a crime; that was it. He couldn't testify for himself and couldn't testify against or for someone else. Where is the anti-white Justice Taney ruling? No black could serve on juries. ...
    This is not necessarily so. If Dr. King and the presidents equally moved the country forward, whites wouldn't have a most of the land that they have now, because all of it was stolen. From sea to shining sea. Not just by warfare, but also by creating Sundown Towns. They wouldn't have the businesses that they have now. This includes the immigrants that came over in late 19th and early 20th centuries which black came before. Came here several hundred years before the European immigrants who like to claim that they came over hear with nothing. This is not true!. They came with their languages, their cultures, their since of justice and the ability to live and congregate with their own and to maintain their pride and self respect, etc. The only way the indigenous could was to live on reservations in poverty! the Chinese had to create China towns. At least they could do that. Imagine Africa Towns! And the result was a loyalty amongst european groups that still exists to this very day. All of the lynchings would have been investigated. All that had to be done to a black man was to accuse him of a crime; that was it. He couldn't testify for himself and couldn't testify against or for someone else. Where is the anti-white Justice Taney ruling? No black could serve on juries. There would not have been a need for the Civil rights Movement. There were no black judges. No black congress persons, senators, governors, mayors. 1st black president in history and how many whites address him as President. There are some who believe he wasn't even born in America, but can't show if his mother was outside the country when he was born. They can easily tell this by her passport. If she was outside the country before he was born and came here afterwards, her passport would show this. There would be a record if it. And Obama would have had to have one to enter the country. At least there would be a record of his entry. If he was born outside the country, where is the record of his entry? The are saying that the Hawaiian government conspired with an outside government to falsify his birth record? Who did that? His father's family or his mothers? Which government? Dr. King fought to correct these injustices and too many more to discuss here and he was killed at 39! All of America's presidents combined haven't fought this hard. But you consider the presidents equal to MLK in "propelling the country forward?"
  • Lucy Pa... Robert 2012/02/17 16:32:16
    Lucy Pannell
    +1
    I understand your complaints and appreciate the history lesson. However, Presidents Day first off honors Abe Lincoln and George Washington. And yes, I consider what these two presidents did for this nation equal in propelling this nation forward to Dr. Kings endeavours. Note, that I said THIS NATION not BLACK AMERICANS and also I must remind you in the timeline of history, that neither of these Presidents were in office during the time of Dr.King. Washington gets credit for there being a nation at all. Now I agree that the nation is built on stolen land, but we are in fact a nation and not a territory of England, who would you credit for that if not George Washington??? And Abraham Lincoln signed a proclamation that set course for slaves to embark on the road that lead to civil rights. Now I am not claiming that any of these men are without flaws, including Dr. King. But the things that they did in their life times that ultimately led to a black President of the United States is undeniable. One event does not exist without the other.
  • Robert Lucy Pa... 2012/02/21 15:26:55
    Robert
    You don't really think you have to remind me that GW and AL were in office before MLK do you? You're just trying to get smart. But I'll forgive you. I know you didn't say "BLACK AMERICANS". Neither did I. You said THIS NATION. I said WHITES. There's the difference. As far as crediting GW? Of course he was president, however, I know you know there was a whole lot more to that war. Everyone knows who Paul Revere was, but who was Crispus Attucks? Abraham Lincoln! Well who was Harriett Tubman, John Brown, Rev Nat Turner, Rev Denmark Vessey and Rev Gabriel Prosser? Who was Frederick Douglas and Rev Dr. Henry Highland Garnet, David Walker and others? Abraham Lincoln's signing was a the end of a process, it only effected the boarder states, not the south. That's why southern blacks celebrate "Juneteenth." The "Proclamation" only made legal what was already happening. As Abe said, his goal was to save the Union and not to end slavery. He said that he'd keep slavery if it would save the Union. And neither one of their actions led to the election of the first African American President. Their struggle wasn't one of freedom, it was one of oppression. As far as their flaws are concerned. I'd doubt anyone with a little knowledge of history would, in no way, whatsoever,...
    You don't really think you have to remind me that GW and AL were in office before MLK do you? You're just trying to get smart. But I'll forgive you. I know you didn't say "BLACK AMERICANS". Neither did I. You said THIS NATION. I said WHITES. There's the difference. As far as crediting GW? Of course he was president, however, I know you know there was a whole lot more to that war. Everyone knows who Paul Revere was, but who was Crispus Attucks? Abraham Lincoln! Well who was Harriett Tubman, John Brown, Rev Nat Turner, Rev Denmark Vessey and Rev Gabriel Prosser? Who was Frederick Douglas and Rev Dr. Henry Highland Garnet, David Walker and others? Abraham Lincoln's signing was a the end of a process, it only effected the boarder states, not the south. That's why southern blacks celebrate "Juneteenth." The "Proclamation" only made legal what was already happening. As Abe said, his goal was to save the Union and not to end slavery. He said that he'd keep slavery if it would save the Union. And neither one of their actions led to the election of the first African American President. Their struggle wasn't one of freedom, it was one of oppression. As far as their flaws are concerned. I'd doubt anyone with a little knowledge of history would, in no way, whatsoever, compare the so called "Founding Fathers" flaws with Dr. Kings. George Washington and some of the other founders owned slaves and as a result were criminals and determined that the Africans were 3/5ths human, which means 2/5ths animal. And the natives weren't human at all. They
  • Lucy Pa... Robert 2012/02/27 14:14:30
    Lucy Pannell
    Again I appreciate the history lesson...or should I say refresher. But I stand by the statement that what these men did in their lifetimes equally propelled this nation forward, and that latter events do not exist without the preceding events. The original question was about the acknowledgement of the Federal holidays and whether or not observance is appropriate, not how blacks suffered and not whether or not the Presidents recognized for Prez Day did anything for the advancement of minorities in this country. It is simply my opinion that the 3 men are great in their own right. As for AL legalizing something that was already taking place...isnt that how most laws are changed and or brought about???
  • Robert Lucy Pa... 2012/03/01 14:34:41
    Robert
    I know what the original question was. And a discussion of this type will always will be about who suffered. Because it always will be about racism/white supremacy. And it will always be about who's perspective is being observed. One says certain men propelled the country forward and other's say they were white supremacists.
  • Lucy Pa... Robert 2012/03/05 16:59:44
    Lucy Pannell
    It is your opinion that they were white supremacists, so then is it also your opinion too that there should not be a holiday to recognize these presidents or any others for that matter???
  • Robert Lucy Pa... 2012/03/08 17:58:06
    Robert
    President's day used to be George Washington's Birthday. I don't doubt that anyone would say these presidents weren't white supremacists. However, I don't use linear logic. Meaning one thing has to automatically lead to another. Of course this country should have a presidents day, are you serious. Maybe you don't think so! However, since America is a country based on racism white supremacy under the facade of justice (just this), it would stand a reason that it would honor a few of its leaders who are rather presentable. After all, George owned slaves and didn't free them while he was alive. I don't think that any one with the least bit of common sense would argue over that. But for you to assume I'm saying that they shouldn't have a holiday is manipulating this dialog to its furthest extremes, to say the least. I believe most countries have holidays for it's leaders. And George and Abe were some of America's leaders, if not two of it's most important and revolutionary ones. One resided over the founding of this country and the other resided over its civil revolution and the revolution of it's industrial status. But to deny the fact that George and Abe were white supremacist would be flat out psychotic. And to imply that I'm saying that there shouldn't be a presidents day (besides the fact that I enjoy the day off) is manipulation at it's finest.
  • Lucy Pa... Robert 2012/03/09 17:27:58
    Lucy Pannell
    Well Well now, you sound rather testy. Now I am being manipulative because I asked you for your point of view of the holiday in itself??? Understand that with your last post you have just made my point...Each of these men have solidified there place in this nation's history among the ranks of the greatness that has propelled this nation forward. Which is what I stated in the beginning. So thanks for ultimately co-signing on my original comment.
  • Robert Lucy Pa... 2012/03/15 15:56:57
    Robert
    If course I'll agree that a nation's leaders should be celebrated. That is how you manage a nation. There are nation's whose leaders are degenerates and we won't celebrate them, but that nation will.

I didn't see where you asked my "point of view of the holiday in itself." You asked me "so then is it also your opinion too that there should not be a holiday to recognize these presidents or any others for that matter???" A lawyer would object on that is a leading question, LOL! That's why I wrote that is a manipulative question, The next thing you will do is make accusations of Anti-Americanism, etc. I'm on to your game baby! Trying to be slick, etc. Let's be clear, you weren't asking me my point of view nor my opinion. You're question was set to a certain parameter, a certain frame of reference,

People get testy talking about cars, sports, politics, fashion ware, who's screwing who. Feminists are testy when discussing sexism. Why not get testy when discussing racism/white supremacy?
  • Lucy Pa... Robert 2012/03/15 18:49:20
    Lucy Pannell
    Ha!!!! Mr. Robert you are a HOOT!!! Now you can spin this anyway you choose. But in the end you have co-signed. Thanks!!!
  • Robert Lucy Pa... 2012/03/22 14:55:58
    Robert
    Well, I see agreeing with you is spinning huh! And you didn't ask my opinion. You tried to get me to cosign on your opinion and you don't like how I handled it. I corrected you and your attempts to be slick. Apparently you don't understand what manipulation means. In this case, you are the spinner. Now Lucy, any more comments about this means you want attention. What do you look like by the way?
  • Lucy Pa... Robert 2012/03/23 16:08:57
    Lucy Pannell
    You are spinning Sir because you started in one position and have ultimately come into agreement with the point of view you chose to originally side against. As far as you correcting me... I should say not!!! LOL!!! But if it makes you feel important or superior to think so...well suit yourself. Now you said that if I had any further comments...then I am seeking attention. ONLY to then ask me a question, What do I look like asks the man with no face... Really??? SO Now that I have made further comment, an attention seeker I shall be... LOL!!! You are Hysterical!!!!
  • teena CommonS... 2012/01/10 17:49:42
    teena
    +1
    Wrong!!! Oh, you meant for the white ppl they did more. That you would be correct.
  • J teena 2012/01/10 22:29:01
    J
    If you ain't white, they did more for you. Only because they weren't black, you won't want to give them any credit. And you won't want to honor them ...or King's dream. All you know is that Dr. King was a black man and he was fighting for the blacks. Not really - he was fighting for EQUALITY. Judging a man by his character - not his skin color. Too many blacks want to acknowledge that King was a good man and had a great purpose, but don't want to live up to his expectations.
  • teena J 2012/01/12 19:09:52
    teena
    J, just which comment are you addressing? I honor each ethnicity who contributed to our society---esp blacks. The civil rights movement, along with Dr King is what paved the way for equal opportunity for each minority group----including white women and the gay community.

2014/12/17 21:31:41