Should Employees Get Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Off?

SodaHead News 2012/01/06 23:17:44
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day falls on the third Monday of the year, which is January 16 this year -- right around the corner! As much as Dr. King is acclaimed for his involvement in the civil rights movement, there has long been controversy over whether or not to dedicate a holiday to his name.

There's also an issue over whether employees and students should get the day off. By 2000, all 50 states had recognized the holiday, but in 2007 just 33% of employees had the day off. Not all schools get the day off, either. Some opt to hold special courses, assemblies, or seminars in lieu of, or in addition to, classes.

Check out our
MLK Day Quick Poll and voice your opinion on the ins-and-outs of the holiday. We'd love to hear from you!

+10
    Obviously yes! How is it possible that America refuses to honor this great man?

• Mel Saye Saye 2012/01/09 18:55:03
    Mel
    +2
    So you're saying that the man who changed social consciousness about civil rights has done nothing special?
  • Debra Bogans 2012/01/09 18:15:41
    Debra Bogans
    +1
    Why not this man accomplished a lot in his time even though he didn't do it by himself he meant much to many nonwhites and some whites.Well hell they have the statue of MLK in DC shouldn't that tell you haters something???????
  • hilllary 2012/01/09 18:13:22
    hilllary
    +1
    No way.
  • MegaFor... hilllary 2012/01/09 18:25:22
    MegaFortunateSon
    +1
    Why not?
  • southofcloud9 2012/01/09 18:11:15
    southofcloud9
    +1
    Absolutely ~ without a doubt!
  • Marleneemm 2012/01/09 18:07:03
    Marleneemm
    +1
    This should be left up to the discression of the company you work for?
    That's how it's done in my husband's place of business
    He get's off July 4th, Thanksgiving & Christmas & Memorial Day.
    The four big holidays.
    But they don't take off President's day and also any Regilious holidays.
    My dad used to give his worker's who were Catholic off on major holidays like
    Good Friday and Rosh Hasanah/Yom Kipper off in Septemeber for Jewish workers.
  • Brandon... Marleneemm 2012/01/09 18:44:46
    Brandon Macc
    Well your husband is lucky
  • Marleneemm Brandon... 2012/01/17 20:47:05
    Marleneemm
    His boss just gave his workers the last week of December off.
    This was really rare.
    but it came in very handy due to the fact I got really sick and he took care of me.
  • HarryEdwardSchnepp 2012/01/09 18:04:55
    HarryEdwardSchnepp
    +1
    nore should they get the day after new years eve off. or columbus day wtf is wrong with you people how many days do you need there not legit,
  • Ron in ... HarryEd... 2012/01/09 19:40:05
    Ron in Oregon
    We are trying to get as many days off as the Socialist Europeans get.
  • mick 2012/01/09 18:04:18
    mick
    +3
    We need to work, No more holidays. They waste time and money. The Nation is going to hell and people want more days off. Go make us some American Made Products. America is going to crap and people just want the day off. Go figure.
  • Gahnzo 2012/01/09 17:58:04
    Gahnzo
    +3
    Why not?
  • manoftruth 2012/01/09 17:56:36
  • joeman manoftruth 2012/01/09 18:29:06
    joeman
    +1
    I understand what your saying, but if it were'nt for those presidents of the past, MLK would have never got a chance to do what he did...
  • manoftruth joeman 2012/05/04 16:58:14
    manoftruth
    history isn't made by mere follish man !!but the destiny got has set aside for each of us !! that's true history !!nothing is new under the sun its all been said and done before !! we're creature of habit !!
  • Craig 2012/01/09 17:52:39
    Craig
  • barby karring 2012/01/09 17:44:11
    barby karring
    +1
    Why not' But it should be decision made between employer and employees; because this country isn't ready to recognize his b'day as a paid day off. It is not a black folk only holliday' please don't make it into a racial issue because when this world ends; we will all drop dead simultaneously at the same time no matter the race or skin color.
  • LilacsG... barby k... 2012/01/09 17:54:23
    LilacsGirl Kym
    I take your point - but don't really see it as a race issue. I see it as a civil liberties and equality issue. It's the principle that interests me - the principle of standing up to injustice, and against prejudice of all kinds. It's the symbol of his message that's important, and I feel we should honor that principle, for its broader scope.
  • Brandon... LilacsG... 2012/01/09 18:46:51
    Brandon Macc
    I am sure some ass is going to come along nd make it one
  • barby k... LilacsG... 2012/01/09 19:29:31 (edited)
    barby karring
    Exactly' I agree with you totally your thoughts were the same as mine; only I did not go deep like you did which is a positive and good message; I stayed on the surface this time to see if I had a spiritual mate to take it from where I left off
  • Diane LilacsG... 2012/01/09 20:10:13
    Diane
    I have been reading everything you have written and agree with you completely! it isn't a racial issue, and he wouldn't want it to be that way it is just like you said, the principle of standing up for all prejudice of every kind. Martin Luther King was a great man and did acomplish alot in his short life, and I have alway's loved his message!
  • barby k... LilacsG... 2012/01/10 22:33:03
    barby karring
    When I spoke of not making it a race issue was bcause some take the holiday proposal of mlk day; as a day set aside specifically for black folks because he was black. I was asking racist that come here to post to please not start racial bickering about his birthday being set aside and acknowledged each year.
  • Pistol Pete 2012/01/09 17:33:14 (edited)
    Pistol Pete
    +4
    (1) There are TOO many holidays already. Every holiday day off costs businesses and taxpayers money. These minor holidays like MLK, President's day, Columbus Day, etc. are mainly days off for government workers, who don't work enough as it is, and Bankers, ditto there.

(2) MLK never had a job, never held a public office, etc. His only contribution was to TRY to get Blacks to not riot. And, he was not completely successful at that either. Let the Blacks celebrate him in private, like they celebrate Kwanza.

(3) Whenever I travel to a new city that I am unfamiliar with, I ALWAYS look to see where MLK Blvd. is located. Because THAT is always THE heart of the ghetto and the most dangerous part of the city. So, it is code for us non Blacks where to stay away from. That is MLK's greatest contribution!!! An acronym for the ghetto!
  • LilacsG... Pistol ... 2012/01/09 17:56:28
    LilacsGirl Kym
    +1
    That is a racist and hateful post. I think Christ Himself would blush with shame to hear you speak that way. I hope you don't dare call yourself a Christian!
  • mick LilacsG... 2012/01/09 18:14:58
    mick
    Mr. King was supposedly a teacher of Christ's Word. Do you think he represented Jesus? Read your Bible and you will see that He did not represent God's word like he should have. That is why Moses did not see the promised land. He did not properly represent God by angrily striking the stone. I know of Americans with dark clored skin that did more for this Nation Than MLK and they don't get a special day of recognition. Please, Do not misrepresent God. He does not like it.
  • Mel mick 2012/01/09 18:57:36
    Mel
    He was certainly a better Christian than you are
  • right-c... Mel 2012/01/09 19:23:00 (edited)
    right-choice
    How dare you say that , Even Christ said be careful of whom you rebuke for not even the Angels can do this.
  • Mel right-c... 2012/01/10 06:46:51
    Mel
    The jesus can tell me himself. Until then, you're an idiot, and i have NO GEAR about any supposed rebuke from a dead man.
  • right-c... Mel 2012/02/06 15:57:59
    right-choice
    moron He is Not Dead , Over 5000 people saw him alive after He died, they walk and talked with Him.
  • Mel right-c... 2012/02/06 21:33:28
    Mel
    Moron? Is that a Christian thing to say?
  • Diane mick 2012/01/09 20:16:18
    Diane
    And it is for only God to decide, not you or me!
  • right-c... Diane 2012/02/06 16:03:49
    right-choice
    Are you Blind, did miss Jesus message to use, How are We (Christain) to tell His people they are wrong and sinning and to turn from their wick ways - this straigh out of the Bible - to tell someone to repent is rebuking (true the sin not the person)
  • Pistol ... LilacsG... 2012/01/13 17:47:36
    Pistol Pete
    I don't like Religious Zealot either. I hope Tim Tebow gets his ass handed to him.
  • Gahnzo Pistol ... 2012/01/09 18:00:05
    Gahnzo
    Wow.....that's all I can say...
  • bob Gahnzo 2012/01/09 19:43:36
    bob
    King rejected white racism, and he rejected black racism. Although he led the blacks, his message was universal. Love is our only hope. Forgiveness is possible. Non-violence is the responsible way to achieve change. He was a moral giant in an age when morality seems much too out of date.
  • Pistol ... bob 2012/01/13 17:54:04
    Pistol Pete
    I disagree with you, 100%. That is NOT what I saw in MLK.

Example: Look at his kids and wife now. They are money grubbing fools, even fighting EACH OTHER for the cash. MLK was no different than Leroy, who knocks up all the woman on his block. He kept multiple MISTRESSES, fancy word for HO's. He had no morals, he just spouted that stuff like an organ grinder's monkey works for food.

He never held a job in his life. It's EASY to spout stuff when other people supply you with food, drink, housing, transport, etc.
  • Diane Pistol ... 2012/01/09 20:14:39
    Diane
    You have alot of hate in your heart and that is so sad! The Good Lord is going to ask you some day what you did for him? I sure don't want to be standing where you will be? all we can do is pray for someone like you~If they do make it a holiday you sure don't deserve to participate in any way!
  • Pistol ... Diane 2012/01/13 17:57:19
    Pistol Pete
    I cannot stand religious zealots. Most all of the horror in the world right now is done on behalf of religion. Jews, Muslims killing each other. Jews stealing land from the Palestinians. Catholic priests, Bishops, Cardinals and the Pope, buggering little boys behinds. We need to BAN all religion from the U.S. and the world.

If you want to be a nice, good, honest person, you don't need to read and quote from some 2000 year old book and pray to plaster of Paris statues.
  • All American 2012/01/09 17:30:46
    All American
    +2
    Of course not. He would want you to work and be productive.
  • LilacsG... All Ame... 2012/01/09 17:56:58
    LilacsGirl Kym
    +1
    For whose benefit?

2014/04/23 15:16:18