Should Employees Get Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Off?

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day falls on the third Monday of the year, which is January 16 this year -- right around the corner! As much as Dr. King is acclaimed for his involvement in the civil rights movement, there has long been controversy over whether or not to dedicate a holiday to his name.

There's also an issue over whether employees and students should get the day off. By 2000, all 50 states had recognized the holiday, but in 2007 just 33% of employees had the day off. Not all schools get the day off, either. Some opt to hold special courses, assemblies, or seminars in lieu of, or in addition to, classes.

Check out our
MLK Day Quick Poll and voice your opinion on the ins-and-outs of the holiday. We'd love to hear from you!

+10
    Obviously yes! How is it possible that America refuses to honor this great man?

• melissa 2012/12/20 15:35:26
    melissa
    Yes! Why not? This is part of our History and we should observe Dr.Martin Luther King, Jr. day just like we observe Columbus Day in America.
  • pamela j. melissa 2014/07/05 06:38:57
    pamela j.
    +3
    I agree...but i'm wondering...i didn't want to argue with my sister because she is one of those people that think they are right even if they aren't...lolol...we were all sitting around talking about holiday pay...she told us that the nursing home she used to work for only paid the black folk time and a half on MLK day...how can that be when it's a National Holiday just like the 4th of July??? Any thoughts on that???
  • melissa pamela j. 2014/07/05 18:24:34
    melissa
    You're right! Don't argue with your sister because you're the one who would be feeling the steam.LOL. My thoughts on MLK day is,it's should be a day to observed like any other National Holiday in the US.
  • Patrick 2012/04/02 14:51:06
    Patrick
    There shouldn't be a holiday for mlk. He did nothing for any one but himself. He devided the country except drive the hatred underground.And besides the so called Afro Americans are more pred. tran the whit,asian,mexican and any other race in America.
  • Denise Patrick 2012/07/28 02:30:48 (edited)
    Denise
    It's people like you Patrick who are in denial that Martin Luther King, Jr. contributed to the equality of Blacks, Poor Whites and other nationalities. What have you contributed to America? Have you changed lives? Have you changed things in America for the betterment of mankind? MLK broke up "Jim Crow laws". As a Black woman, civil rights provided me with the opportunity to attend college, graduate several years ago, get a good job and buy a house in San Francisco. I couldn't do that before Dr. King and the likes marched and fought for me systemically to live the American Dream.

How have you enriched the lives of the masses in America? I suggests you get books on Dr. King and the Civil Rights Movement before you continue talking such foolishness. You sound very angry and ignorant. It was people like J. Edger Hoover, Bull Connors and the likes who perpetuated division in America not Dr. King.

It's people like your former President who has caused a further wedge between the rich and the poor. Read Fool Read so you'll stop sounding so ignorant.
  • Veronic... Patrick 2013/01/15 14:45:27
    Veronica Lane
    +3
    you are vey stupid !
  • cc Veronic... 2013/01/16 19:33:19
    cc
    Patrick had as many spelling and grammatical errors in three sentences as you did in four words. He has a good point....and you have no point.
    School.
  • Veronic... cc 2013/01/17 08:04:34
    Veronica Lane
    here go stupid #5 who think gramatic accomplishments will see him through. without understanding of anything but, how white's should have a holiday for bringing slaves to a country by force, and how whites who are presidents should be put higher then anyone else "you are stupid"!! whites didnt do anything good but run satans fair grounds for many years. I do speak of your ancestor's. pure evil. Look at all the men and women that were forcefully put in slavery, and then one man come to try to keep his race of people calm, and try to stop the violence that angry whites had in them towards blacks, and he can't have a day to be celebrated for courage? You stupid!
    Then on top of that, he die's by the hands of a white man. then i have to hear from certain whites tha blacks don't know how to become citizens. whites were pure animals back then in the 60's. You call what whites done since the 1600's citizens? i don't think so. get a life! Martin Luther King day should be for more then one day
  • cc Veronic... 2013/01/17 08:15:40
    cc
    At least you can count. I suppose you have an opinion about Arabs and Islam who still enslave blacks to this day.
    You have no idea who my ancestors are, thankyouverymuch. I can guarantee that none of my ancestors owned any slaves. None of that has any bearing on me. I owe you nor anyone else anything for what white people have done before me. I treat all people the same no matter thier color, disability or orientation.
    All races have been enslaved at one time or another in far greater numbers and years.
    Don't forget that your race is not the only one on earth.
  • pamela j. Veronic... 2014/07/13 07:57:52
    pamela j.
    Actually our 5th president...John Quincy Adams deemed the slave trade by American citizens against the law...it was the Spaniards and Portuguese that continued the slave trade to the America's...but before that...their own people were capturing each other from other African tribes and selling their own to the highest bidders...
  • pamela j. Patrick 2014/07/05 07:42:33
    pamela j.
    +1
    Really dude??? I'd like to know what color the sky is in your world??? At this moment i'd like to post the lyrics of Ozzy Osborne's song Crazy Train...Crazzy
  • pamela j. Patrick 2014/07/05 08:01:06
    pamela j.
    +2
    Really dude??? I'd like to know what color the sky is in your world??? At this moment i'd like to post the lyrics of Ozzy Osborne's song Crazy Train...Crazy but that's how it goes...millions of people living as foes...maybe, it's not too late to learn how to love and forget howbl to hate...mental wounds are healing, life's a bitter shame...i'm going off the rails on the crazy train...I've listenedbto preachers, i've listened to fools...i've watched all the dropouts who make their own rules...one person conditioned to rule and control...the media sells it and you live the role...mental wounds still healing, driving me insane, i'm going off the rails on the crazy train...i'm going off the rails on the crazy train...i know that things are going wrong for me...you've got to listen to my words, yeah, yeah...Heirs of a cold war, that's what we've become...inheriting troubles, i'm mentally numb...crazy, i just cannot bear...i'm living with something that just isn't fair...mental wounds not healing...who and what's to blame...i'm going off the rails on the crazy train!!!
  • Diane 2012/03/15 02:39:25
    Diane
    +1
    I don't think I left a comment on this but I will now, Martin luther King was a great human being and alot better than some of the people that we have holidays for, like Christipher Columbus for examble....The history books don't even have that one right, and we have his day off! just an example. He was a good christian man and was a very peaceful man and tryed to live his life in that way! He was a great example on how to love every one for who they are, not the color of their skin~ Great man in my opinion!!!!!!!
  • pamela j. Diane 2014/07/05 08:23:44
    pamela j.
    +1
    Yeah!!! Just watch the show on the history channel...America Unearthed...that show only confirms what i've said for a long time...history needs to be re-written...we are finding more and more archaelogicol evidence proving that the history we have been taught for decades is not accurate at all...let's face it...the ones that have always written history are the conquerors...i'll just leave it like that...it's not rocket science...
  • dwight 2012/01/23 16:16:41
    dwight
    if you know what he went through for the people of that time.
  • iko.bhzzad1 2012/01/19 13:37:23
    iko.bhzzad1
    ss
  • ScottClemons 2012/01/18 02:14:57 (edited)
    ScottClemons
    +1
    I don't have to be off work to pay my respects to MLK. We have many great men in our history, if we pay our respect to them and got the day off for it no one would ever work as the year hasn't got enough days
  • rocketgirl ScottCl... 2012/02/20 19:54:54
    rocketgirl
    +1
    I don't think every american hero needs to be recognize. However, MLK was a universal american who supported brotherhood for all americans. He wasn't bitter because of what happened and he fought for equality for all. However, I think more in depth information needs to be shared with students about his accomplishments and character. He was an extremely brilliant man, excellent writer. Our history books need updating and many school districts have not purchased books that show afircan-american accomplishments. However, they all still cover slavery. I would prefer staying in school and discussing his contributions to society. However, since most districts don't want to do that(some afraid of offending others, many parents take their children to special events celebrating his life. Truthfully, we don't need president's day off. Most kids can't tell you wnat Washington or Lincoln contributed. They may know Lincoln freed the slaves, but nothing for GW.
  • pamela j. rocketgirl 2014/07/05 08:29:24 (edited)
    pamela j.
    +1
    My daughter went to school with an exchange student frm Germany...did ya'll know that they don't teach the kids over there about "The Holocaust"??? How crazy is that???
  • Harry Balzac 2012/01/17 15:59:48
    Harry Balzac
    +2
    The whole purpose of King Day is that lazy single-parent black-Africans could get the day off. Do YOU really know any black people who judge others by the content of their character and NOT the color of their skin? Nergoes are the most RASCIST group in the USA. They hate white people..they hate Jews...they hate Asians.. they don't even like
    Mexicoons. Hey know why a Mexicoon won't marry a kneegrow...because they'll have a son too lazy too steal.
  • LilacsG... Harry B... 2012/02/01 11:43:02
    LilacsGirl Kym
    +3
    Wow. That's a lot of tolerance you've got there! lol
  • manoftruth Harry B... 2012/02/10 13:06:47
    manoftruth
    +2
    and you hate who ???? look up racist then you'll know how ignorant you really sound !!if you can read read true history and not some white man's wet dream of what occurred !!
  • Harry B... manoftruth 2012/04/22 16:15:43
    Harry Balzac
    I dont hate anybody. I dislike unintelligent rhetoric from people like you. What high school did you drop out from?
  • manoftruth Harry B... 2012/05/04 16:55:01
    manoftruth
    +2
    your moma's bedroom
  • Harry B... manoftruth 2012/09/21 13:56:26
    Harry Balzac
    What a clever thing for a negro to say.
  • manoftruth Harry B... 2012/10/05 18:55:56
  • pamela j. manoftruth 2014/07/13 06:58:52
    pamela j.
    Lolol!!!
  • Veronic... Harry B... 2013/01/15 15:03:50
    Veronica Lane
    +5
    no matter how u put anything... you still stupid
  • pamela j. Veronic... 2014/07/13 07:00:27
    pamela j.
    You got that right veronica!!!
  • rocketgirl Harry B... 2012/02/20 20:01:22
    rocketgirl
    +2
    I pity you harry. Stealing is as ameircan as apple pie. Other cultures learned from europeans who stole this country from the Indians. I worked in loss prevention and whites steal more than other cultures. The difference, they are given breaks. A white male stole a shotgun from K-Mart and they reduce the charge to a misdemeanor so it wouldn't hurt his chances of getting a job. However, the puerto rican kid, first offense, he was charged with a felony for the electronic items he stole. I would think a weapon theft would definitely be prosecuted. I know, it's hard to admit thatwhites steal more everyday than all the other cultures combined. Denial helps you to maintain your feeling of superiority as you recognize intelligence exists in other cultures and the only way uyou can tell yourself you're smarter is to continue to suppress them, punish them to the full extent of the law, and lie, lie, lie.
  • Harry B... rocketgirl 2012/04/22 16:12:40
    Harry Balzac
    Name 3 African American females to win a Nobel prize in Chemistry or Physics. Indians or Native Ameicans... NEVER owned land, therefore it could not stolen from them. Your Prohoudistic arguement about property is as stale as your rancid pussy.
  • manoftruth Harry B... 2012/07/27 17:45:06
    manoftruth
    what have you won !! or what school did you graduate from ??? i'm so sure your a rocket scientist genius who will safe the world !! put the crack pipe down !! welcome to reality ??? join the rest of the racist tea party !!
  • Harry B... manoftruth 2012/08/08 13:11:43
    Harry Balzac
    First I'm not a negro. Second I graduated from UC Berkely, Waseda University in Tokyo and UCLA graduate school as well as having my law degree. Aren't you glad you challenged me?
  • manoftruth Harry B... 2012/09/14 12:22:49
    manoftruth
    like most self induced so called intellectuals you rant about your education ?? what's your point if you don't have common sense ??? law degree of a criminal corrupted justice system ?? yeah i'm really impressed !!! not !! i may not have all you educational background !! but remember this !! never judge a man by his accomplishments or educational status , but the only thing that really defines him or her "the contents of their heart and soul " like GOD !! that is all that i see !!everything else is .................smart as you are you finish that !! peace !!
  • Harry B... manoftruth 2012/09/21 13:55:54
    Harry Balzac
    Define heart. Prove that a "soul" exists. By the way, do you have a job,?
  • pamela j. Harry B... 2014/07/13 07:05:53
    pamela j.
    We all have to live on this planet with educated idiots...apparantly your no exception...in the end all your degrees won't even matter anyway...if they even exist that is!!!
  • Harry B... rocketgirl 2012/04/22 16:17:13
    Harry Balzac
    Also...SUCK my Ballz!
  • cc Harry B... 2013/01/17 08:29:07
    cc
    All that schooling and can't carry on an intelligent conversation without rabid profanity, crass insults.
    It's disappointing that I have to share the same oxygen with you. Judging someone by thier skin color or the way you judge thier vagina or your desire to have them put thier mouth on your testicles... pretty worthless. You have spewed an empty argument, showing your lack of restraint, lacking in a closing argument Mr Lawyer, totally defacating on your own professed "education".
    You are far worse than Veroinca who can't seem to finish a sentence. I'm going to guess she didn't finish high school. You?....a college grad?
    Make a point, teach! Show us how smart you are!
  • Veronic... Harry B... 2013/01/15 14:50:40
    Veronica Lane
    +5
    you stupid b/c of the comments that came after yes!
  • pamela j. Harry B... 2014/07/13 06:57:40
    pamela j.
    You're an idiot!!! No...i take that back...you're a motard...that's a moron crossed with a retard!!!

2014/11/01 11:03:20