Should employees be required to speak English on the job?

PajamasMedia 2007/11/30 03:36:20

• whatever 2007/11/30 12:31:54
    Yes, of course! English-only laws help immigrants succeed in America.
    whatever
    +5
    It is called integration and is what almost all immigrants have done in the past and it worked. They moved to the USA to become citizens in this fine country. The only way for this melting pot we have to work is through integration. No one is saying that you can not continue to speak your native language at home, with friends or fellow nationals but at work in order to avoid any misunderstandings and problems a uniform language should be spoken.
    P.S. Harry Reid is an idiot

• Laura 2009/07/10 01:49:17
    No way! Harry Reid is right when he says it's racist.
    Laura
    So what about all the Americans/English speaking people who move abroad and can`t speak the language, is that OK because their first language is English?
    I speak English but have moved to Japan recently, I speak very little Japanese and at the moment don`t have time to learn it.
    Does that make me a bad person who should leave the country? Should I not have come here until I was fluent in Japanese (which I doubt I ever will be).
    I am good at my job and manage to communicate with English speaking people.
    I think you need to think about how hard it is to be living in a new country, adjusting to a new culture, figuring out how to do simple things like pay your bills, and where to put out the trash and remember how hard it is to learn a new language.

Give people a break, if they are good at their jobs, and not causing any harm to you them leave them alone.

Laura
  • macrotrax 2009/06/21 01:53:05
    macrotrax
    +1
    I actually worked for a school that stated that when you were on company time, you would speak English. This was brought about when a staff member approached management stating that she was made uncomfortable when several staff members were speaking in their language. She felt that she was the topic of their conversation. If any of the parents approached the staff speaking in anything but English, the staff was to respond in English only. I was very pleased to see this policy in place!
  • KristyWinters 2008/12/05 01:01:52
    KristyWinters
    It is not racist to require an employee in the USA to speak clear english and understand it! It has to do with speaking, not skin color or genetic background. It has to do with the ability for them to fully do their job, which is normally difficult if you can't understand the language or speak it.
  • Jwalden --- Constitution Party 2008/08/23 20:51:42
    Jwalden --- Constitution Party
    Let me think.

If i move to Japan, and demand to speak English, how long would i last ??
    China ? Germany ? France ? Spain ?

Would each of these demand I 'learn' a 'primary' language.?
  • Antonia 2008/08/23 03:35:03
    Antonia
    +3
    Yeah. How can you work without speaking english! This is AMERICA so if you don't speak english get off your ass and learn it!
    america yeah work speaking english america speak english ass learn
  • Jairo A... Antonia 2009/07/11 04:42:47
    Jairo Adame
    you need to get off YOUR ASS and stop being racist and get a job instead of posting your racist comments and wasting your time. You know what, I agree with you we do need to speak English, but nobody born learning it. So what does it matter, they might not speak English but they act more in this country, and yet this country does not appreciate anything. You are all taking advantage of these people, but dont realize the much help that they provide to this country, I mean financially, something that you might not be doing, since as I can probably guess that you might be getting help from Social Security. They do pay taxes, and these taxes is supporting your weekly social security unemployment check. GET A JOB!!!! and a LIFE. stop wasting time and being RACIST.
  • monteirotime 2008/08/01 22:41:49
    I'm not sure. Is it really that important how employees communicate if they g...
    monteirotime
    I think this is just another waste of energy. But I agree if a company warns against "talking too much" instead of working. It happens in English too.
  • Antonia monteir... 2008/08/23 03:35:24
  • Jairo A... Antonia 2009/07/11 05:07:59
    Jairo Adame
    YOU ARE HISPANIC, SO SHUT YOUR MOUTH, OK.... Your name is Antonia, that is a SPANISH NAME. DONT FORGET THAT YOU ARE STILL ONE OF US. It dont matter if you can speak English, you can't write it, THAT IS WHY YOU ONLY USE "PICTURES TO COMMUNICATE YOUR MESSAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
  • cronewinter 2008/07/24 05:49:19
    cronewinter
    yes for work related issues, private conversation in their native language shouldn't be made into an issue though.
  • Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥ 2008/04/07 16:41:43
    Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥
    +1
    I think in a JOB or not, it is a good thing to learn English anyway. Just start out learning a little each day. I have a German friend who learn English by watching TV. His first word was hamburger.Just one word at a time. He speaks good English now.
  • gamman 2008/04/07 15:52:47
    gamman
    +1
    it depends. if their job requires them to speak to the public and that public speaks English then yes. if not then - who cares?
    in an Italian restaurant i hear the staff speaking Italian while they make my pizza or linguini - what do i care?
  • Antonia gamman 2008/08/23 03:36:13
  • Jwalden... gamman 2008/08/23 20:57:59
    Jwalden --- Constitution Party
    +1
    I enjoy Chinese and Mexican and Thai dining, and will concur, their communication in the back is no problem. But, if they came asking for your order in their 'native language', can you communicate proficiently.

mexican thai dining concur communication order native language communicate proficiently
    would you be willing to buy a 'communication dictionary' for every store and cafe you patronize ?
  • Jairo A... gamman 2009/07/11 04:44:00
    Jairo Adame
    I totally agree with you,
  • scrshaw 2008/04/02 21:19:33
    scrshaw
    YES, I'm tired of having to explain myself 5 and 6 time when I have to deal with these people!
  • Jairo A... scrshaw 2009/07/11 05:05:46
    Jairo Adame
    I would like to see you in mexico and get a job there without knowing Spanish, and you see what it feels like. You are not the other employer in this COUNTRY If you are so tired of dealing with MY PEOPLE, then why dont you deal with your OWN PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... You know you need them, so STOP COMPLAINING AND BE A PART OF THE SOLUTION. SHUT YOUR MOUTH.
  • Gracie ~Gun Totin' Gracie~ 2008/03/16 07:04:17
    Gracie ~Gun Totin' Gracie~
    +2
    And more yes
  • wedw3 2008/02/25 02:44:26
    wedw3
    Yes. Why? Because this is the United States of America and our language is English [American Style]. It would also help the people to learn to speak English.
  • Jairo A... wedw3 2009/07/11 04:48:31
    Jairo Adame
    Yes, I am on your side on this one, I hate those people that are just part of the scandal and issues, and not part of the solution. I understand what you are saying, people are only saying YES they should speak English, but the government does nothing to help them learn. They wont even let then go to college for crying out loud, Doesnt the U.S. nation realize that if they help these people learn English and get an education, they would have more professionals, and that means that those people will pay much more higher taxes. I am Mexican and proud to be a professional, and you know what, I paid $1,750.00 for my 2008 tax year.
  • viper4358 2008/02/01 16:02:39
    viper4358
    English is the official language of this country. The smart immigrants figured out that if they wanted our money they should be able to communicate with us. I don't want to have to press #1 for english. I am tired of wasting our tax dollars on bi-lingual signs and interpretors. That is also a lame excuse to get out of jury duty. No hablo ingles, my a$$.
  • Jairo A... viper4358 2009/07/11 04:52:37
    Jairo Adame
    +1
    You are tired of pressing #1 for English, just dont press #1, dont you know that the machine just says: "For English press #1 or just on the line" come on!! you are only pressing because you just dont know how to wait and be patient.
  • viper4358 Jairo A... 2009/07/11 04:54:14
    viper4358
    Yeah an I am being tired of being asked.
  • Judi 2008/01/29 23:14:19
    Judi
    It depends on the jobs. Sometimes it is important for English to be spoken but not always.
  • Antonia Judi 2008/08/23 03:36:54
  • Judi Antonia 2008/08/28 18:20:26
    Judi
    Wow! Is your English so poor you could only use a picture? When all of your ancestors came to this country, did each and everyone of them speak American English when they got here? Or were they Native Americans speaking their language since they were here first? Or perhaps was it French or Spanish and did they settle in areas settled first by the French and Spanish? Get over yourself.
  • Jairo A... Judi 2009/07/11 04:59:07
    Jairo Adame
    +1
    :-) :-) you tell her. I am Mexican, and by looking at her name "Antonia" SHE IS HISPANIC, but she thinks that just because she made something is this country and Speaks and write English, she can start pointing at those people that still has not made it yet. SHE IS A HISPANIC, AND A WITCH, like it states on her icon.
  • Jairo A... Judi 2009/07/11 04:54:48
    Jairo Adame
    +1
    You got it, if the job requires it of course they have to speak. I am mexican, and proud, but you know that sometimes is the Employer's fault, because they know that they have to speak English, but still hires them.
  • gina maria 2008/01/21 07:35:26
    gina maria
    HOWEVER, YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO LEARN ENGLISH, THIS IS AMERICA, WHILE WE DO HAVE GREAT DIVERSITIES, WE SUPPOSE TO KNOW ENGLISH. AS PREJUICE AS IT MAY SOUND, THE COMPANY HAS A RIGHT TO REQUEST ENGLISH SPEAKING EMPLOYEES
  • Antonia gina maria 2008/08/23 03:38:11
  • roger 2007/12/28 22:43:49
    roger
    +1
    In the United States the language is english. I respected the Japanese and Vietnmese in speaking their language.
  • Anonymous 2007/12/03 16:31:22
    Anonymous
    +1
    In no other country in the world do people EXPECT to be accomodated as much as in the US. It is insulting to those who actually work hard to learn the language, and it seems to me that some are just too lazy or proud to bother with having to adapt to their surroundings.
  • timekeeper 2007/12/02 21:29:11
    timekeeper
    As long as the employees are *able* to speak English, and do not refuse to use English when dealing with English speakers, it should not make a difference.

As to the Frenchman: Yes, you don't speak English. You also don't speak German. There is a reason for that. An attitude like his (which I experienced *only once* while I was in France) is why the French have a reputation for being arrogant.
  • Antonia timekeeper 2008/08/23 03:38:51
  • Daniel 2007/12/01 20:53:49
    Daniel
    +1
    Absolutely. Unequivocly. For certain. Sure. Yes. Uh huh.
  • Cec 2007/12/01 20:31:05
    Cec
    The only exception should be German!
  • Robert 2007/12/01 19:36:58
    Robert
    +1
    I have many friends from foreign countries and all are successful -- and fluent in English. Several speak and write English better than natives.
  • Finally Free 2007/12/01 16:55:43
    Finally Free
    +1
    Back in Belgium people who refused to learn the local language would be told: "Adapt or leave".
  • Willy 2007/12/01 15:50:29
    Willy
    +1
    If it isn't in english, it isn't speaking to me. BTW, I've spoken english to French ticket agents. You just have to use a foreign accent and speak slowly. They don't need to know you're an Amerikan.
  • Bill 2007/12/01 15:50:24
    Bill
    +2
    Harry Reid does not represent me, a Nevadan. His public statements indicate his pandering to the (near) Hispanic majority in Las Vegas.

2014/10/21 18:17:30