Should doctors recommend medical marijuana when they think it's appropriate?

L.A. Times 2013/02/21 16:00:00
Perhaps you know whether you’d want to use marijuana to relieve severe pain or nausea. But if you were a doctor, what would you tell patients who asked about taking something that’s against federal law? The New England Journal of Medicine poses the question to its readers and on Wednesday presented arguments for and against from doctors.

federal law england journal medicine poses readers wednesday arguments doctors

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-...

• ScottM 2013/06/27 15:35:58
    ScottM
    There should be a third answer here. I feel that they should, but they shouldn't. They shouldn't because it is currently illegal. They should because it's safer than the majority of the big-pharma meds out there, if not all of them.
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2013/03/13 22:49:08
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    Been medicine for 4000 years
    http://webstation19.8k.com/me...
  • ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒ 2013/03/13 22:31:24
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    There's no good reason for it to be illegal when alcohol is more harmful. And no I am not a toker.
  • Beck∞♥☮♫♫♫∞ 2013/03/13 22:30:50
    Beck∞♥☮♫♫♫∞
    +2
    yes they should it has medisinal properties
  • Little Angel 2013/03/13 19:00:06
  • Phil 2013/03/04 11:27:46
    Phil
    +1
    There are so many other major issues that we as Americans should worry about, instead of whether people want to smoke weed or not. Such a big deal over nothing at all. And if you don't like marijuana, well you are entitled to your opinion. But why should your opinion dictate everybody else? What gives you that right?
  • Tasine 2013/03/03 14:30:12
    Tasine
    My answer isn't in the list. I'd tell them I am no lawyer and cannot give them legal advice but at present marijuana is illegal, but that IF I WERE THE PATIENT AND WANTED TO TRY SOME TO SEE IF IT HELPED, THAT'S WHAT I WOULD DO.
  • Juan Iota 2013/03/03 14:12:52
    Juan Iota
    +1
    Why do we need to have a doctors reccomendation or permission to use an herb like cannabis?? I think its ridiculous, but yes my friend, absolutely should be used when needed and even periodically when not particularly needed. I think we are grown up enough to decide that for ourselves!!
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2013/03/01 01:33:23
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    But it is getting to where it is over prescribed at this point.
  • JimTheGeek 2013/02/28 17:59:07
    JimTheGeek
    +1
    We should always leave it to our doctor to decide what is medically appropriate for our treatment.
  • Tasine JimTheGeek 2013/03/03 14:33:57
    Tasine
    A good comment, but not one I strictly adhere to. You know your body better than anyone on earth knows it. YOU are the one responsible for your body, no one else is responsible for YOUR body. I sometimes question the doctor's opinion or recommendation. I'm not willing to do something I consider harmful to my body just because a doctor may recommend it. Nor do I always follow their advice. Doctors are not God and are not infallable. They make mistakes just like you and I make mistakes.
  • Cliff 2013/02/27 14:26:46
    Cliff
    Government has lost the war on drugs. It's time to surrender, get rid of our drug problem with Mexico and release drug users from prison. Forget about the BS about drugs for medicinal purposes and just let people screw themselves up if that's what they are bent on doing.
  • Joe Blow 2013/02/26 18:35:52
    Joe Blow
    +1
    Yes, If it's someone who can truly benefit from the use of marijuana. But pleeeeeeaze, this medicinal marijuana thing is such a joke. A LARGE percentage of people (more like 99% lol) obviously perceive the "green card" as a legal way to catch a buzz. ALL of my personal friends and acquaintances who've acquired the green card, are hard-core stoners who've went through great measures to get it.
  • Georgia50 2013/02/26 18:21:52
    Georgia50
    +1
    Any doctor or human who grasps basic lung function will not recommend inhaling any smoke into the lungs for any reason whatsoever.
  • T A Georgia50 2013/02/27 04:22:53
    T A
    +2
    It can be eaten, drunk, made into a skin cream and vaporized to name a few alternative methods of use. Smoking isn't the only way it can be utilized by a long shot.
  • Georgia50 T A 2013/02/27 15:59:44
    Georgia50
    Fair enough. It's not the THC I'm objecting to, it's the smoke-filled lungs. Lungs are made for clean air, period, with the possible exception of atomized air, or steam treatments.
  • Josie 2013/02/26 17:40:30
    Josie
    +1
    my cousin is a paraplegic and he uses medical marijuana, he says it helps a lot.
  • BigFig#9 2013/02/26 17:19:06
    BigFig#9
    +2
    So here's the 'rub' on this and MD recommendations in general...(not just marijuana or not even marijuana most dramatically) If a doctor BELIEVES a medication is appropriate - GREAT. Unfortunately today in the US in particular and the West generally patients are going to Doctors self diagnosed and self prescribed asking for medications and too many Docs rubber stamp the request. In particular testosterone and ED medication is ridiculous - Medical fact is you get older you have less testosterone and less sex drive absent any other medical condition - simple medical fact. Inflating health care cost by prescribing drugs to 'make you 18 again in the sack' is not the role of physicians and specifically not a legitimate use of medical dollars. When there is real medical causation great, but too many MDs are willing to bend the diagnostic wand and give the patient what they want. (Mine pro-actively solicited me!)
  • DeeB 2013/02/26 13:22:14
    DeeB
    +1
    Absolutely.
  • Captain-Morgan 2013/02/26 04:07:31
    Captain-Morgan
    No in most case it's not needed.. But there are a few...
  • the spo... Captain... 2013/02/26 14:39:16
    the spoiler
    +1
    I believe the question asked if its approprate. Are you a Dr. ?
  • Captain... the spo... 2013/02/26 23:23:03
    Captain-Morgan
    +1
    No Doctor, but I was a Navy corpsman, in my younger days. and have been trained as medical first responder as a hotel & convention security officer.. As for the use, within the treatments of cancers and some types of early blindness yes. I have questions about it's use in pain management? I myself have used it in the past.. Like most the youth back in the 60's and 70's. Tried using it alcohol and other drugs (self medicated) for PTSD. But that had it's problems too.. Stop smoking the weed and drug use in the early 1980's, and only drink very little alcohol nowdays.. My statement was made on lots of my personal experience of 63 years, and some medical training.. So you can put it in your pipe and smoke it.. LOL..
  • the spo... Captain... 2013/02/27 00:33:28
    the spoiler
    +1
    So it's just your opinion, but I would like to thank you for your service
  • Captain... the spo... 2013/02/27 05:19:11
    Captain-Morgan
    +2
    Yes, just my opinion... And in most cases I believe it's just more income to the doctors that write the letter or scrips. And Thank You..
  • Near 2013/02/26 01:51:33
    Near
    lol! ]:-D

But actually I say yes. I guess the reason why they asked this was to see how much people would say no and I think they thought most would say yes anyways.
  • Blessed Sheep Gone Wild! 2013/02/26 01:11:16
    Blessed Sheep Gone Wild!
    +1
    hmmm seems like the majority spoke on this one.
  • gaylehelen 2013/02/25 21:17:56
    gaylehelen
    Yes, when appropriate and in a state where it is legal.
    I live in Massachusetts and we just passed the law last fall. I'm shocked they are actually deciding on the proper way to open dispensaries. I thought they'd go the route New Jersey took (unless it's changed and, if so, please let me know) where they approved the law, but no dispensaries are being planned. I still won't believe it until I see it.
    I have been battling to regain my weight after numerous surgeries and would love the option. I can literally go 2-3 days without eating a thing. Sure wish I had the option and hope I do someday. Actually, I'd much rather just be able to regain my appetite and weight!
  • lolitalovely 2013/02/25 21:16:43
    lolitalovely
    A doctor should always recommend what they think is best.
  • kepowell 2013/02/25 21:07:37
    kepowell
    +2
    Of course they should. If the patient and doctor agree, whose business is it anyways.
  • Tasine kepowell 2013/03/03 14:37:08
  • t.eliot, topbard 2013/02/25 21:06:33
    t.eliot, topbard
    +1
    Without question.
  • nerak611 2013/02/25 20:56:00
    nerak611
    +1
    A friend of mine has been diagnosed with pre-cancer cells in his mouth from smoking cigarettes. His dentist discovered it. He sees a cancer specialist. He smokes cannabis out of a water filtered bong, and quit smoking. The cells are not advancing. Studies have been done that show cannabis can actually slow or stop cancer cells from reproducing.
    what is medical marijuana used for what is medical marijuana used for what is medical marijuana used for cancer what is medical marijuana used for cancer what is medical marijuana used for cancer
  • \V/ 2013/02/25 18:40:52 (edited)
  • Buzz 2013/02/25 18:19:26
    Buzz
    But they should warn their patients that the government will deny you the right to purchase arms if you are a medical marijuana patient. They say you cannot legally own firearms if you are a MMJ patient. So far, not a peep from the NRA on this.
  • kepowell Buzz 2013/02/25 19:35:13
    kepowell
    Really? I have not heard that here in California. Interesting..I will research. Thanks
  • unrelig... kepowell 2013/02/26 14:48:53
    unreligious
    Technically speaking what Buzz is saying is true. However the forms ask if you are addicted to marijuana. Since no one is addicted you are not lying if you check no. Plus since your medical information is private there is no way the government can find this out.
  • kepowell unrelig... 2013/02/26 17:21:51
    kepowell
    Gotcha and thanks. My boyfriend is both a legal gun owner and a medical marijuana licensee. I think there are probably a lot of people with same circumstance.
  • Tasine unrelig... 2013/03/03 14:41:35
    Tasine
    I have no real argument with what you say except the last sentence. If it chooses to, the government can get its hands on any piece of information that exists. Trust me on this. I believe the government will stoop to any level necessary to achieve its aims, particularly if it is trying to hang somebody on something.
  • Jeh 2013/02/25 10:22:44
    Jeh
    Isn't that what a doctor's job is, to prescribe what they think is the most appropriate medicine? So long as it is legal in that state. Damn, I'm sure some doctors would like to prescribe heroin if they could, but must stick to lesser opiates due to the fact that heroin is banned.

Now Larry down at the corner store thinks I should get some medicinal marijuana for my crippling fear of Mondays, but Larry's medical credentials look to have been drawn on an IHOP place mat. (Don't get me wrong, if I am having a pancake related emergency having somebody trained by IHOP is handy to have around). Sorry Larry, I'll have to get a 2nd opinion and no, I don't need a prostate exam. Just sell me some damned rolling papers and I'll be on my way!
  • Free Spirit 2013/02/25 03:40:07
    Free Spirit
    +4
    I have MS and I know it helps my symptoms. It's illegal where I live.

2014/04/23 15:19:06