Should Default Mean Impeachment for Obama?

Politics 2011/07/27 14:20:34
The finger-pointing in Washington is getting so heated that it's turning into a circular firing squad. At this point, it's almost impossible to decide whose fault the debt ceiling crisis is, because both sides have thrown so many schemes up against the wall it's hard to tell them apart.

Not for Iowa Rep. Steve King, though. The outspoken fiscal and social Conservative who famously made the "optics" quip about President Obama's middle name during the 2008 election ("what does this look like to the rest of the world?"), said on Monday that the president could face impeachment if the U.S. goes into default.

"STOP talking about default. The 1st dime of each $1 of revenue services debt. Obama would be impeached if he blocked debt payments," King wrote on Twitter.

With the deadline to raise the debt ceiling looming in less than a week (Aug. 2) the pressure on Congress is intense. In his tweet, King pushed the GOP plan called "Cut, Cap and Balance," which would require spending cuts and caps alongside a constitutional amendment balancing the budget. It passed in the House last week, but didn't make the cut in the Senate. If a deal is not reached by next week the U.S. could default on its debt payments for the first time in history, a prospect that could lower the country's credit rating and rattle worldwide markets.

While King was lambasting the president, House Speaker John Boehner was sent back to the drawing board on Tuesday night after his latest proposal didn't pass muster with the Congressional Budget Office, which said it would not cut as much spending as advertised.

Some members of Boehner's own party appear to be slowly turning against his plan and the intransigence of the Right is beginning to spark whispers in liberal circles that a failure to reach a solution on the ceiling debate could end up backfiring on the foot-dragging GOP.

Should default mean impeachment for President Obama?

• Rebel Yell 2011/07/27 15:47:42
    Rebel Yell
    +44
    Impeachment is tossed around as regularly as weather reports. There have to be specific grounds for impeachment. Since Obama has been on TV every other day, it is clear he has been involved in the debt talks. Disagreeing with him is not grounds for impeachment.

The Constitution also clearly says the United States will meet its debt obligations. He has promised to uphold the Constitution as have all congressmen. That is not being done. None of them have earned that $ 174,000 congressional income and should be docked for doing nothing but blaming one another. The Tea Party needs to shut the hell up. They have the narrowest vision for this country and are willing to see it implode so thay can say.." See! We won!" They are totally ignorant of the fact that it was not tax cuts that made America great but our unique public-private partnerships across the generations. This country was founded on compromise and meeting in the middle. We need to preserve that uniqueness.

• FearFighter 2012/01/19 03:47:26
    FearFighter
    +1
    That and, SO much more.
  • Ghostwolf1968 2012/01/10 16:35:34
    Failure to reach a deal on the debt ceiling should be blamed on ...
    Ghostwolf1968
    +1
    Failure falls on not just the President but the Republicans and the Democrats and the Government as a whole as I can say this without malice as I am for the Rep Party. It seems to me that No one in the government has any good ideas on how to solve the problems we are having in america, but it started way before Obama was elected. Every president before Obama and even Obama has made promises and not kept them and they have all made mistakes and we suffered for those mistakes! We need to stop arguing about who's fault it is and start working on a solution to fix the problem, arguing about the best way to solve a problem never solves the problem because no one can decide on a course of action. Old saying says: "United we Stand and Divided we Fall" if they fight about who is right and has the best solution then "they are divided" and "We the American people will take the "fall" as is seen in the current situation's that the American people are finding themselves in because or government can't come up with any good solutions. If they where "United" and learned to: "agree to disagree" then they could work on a solution that is best for the American people instead of standing around and fighting about who's solution is the best as it "IS Solving Nothing" I Blame Our Government For America's Failure!!!
  • Great Man 2011/11/17 07:41:02
  • Hatti 2011/11/12 15:14:37
    Hatti
    I've got this to say......The Repulicans set up Obama to fail. Yes they did. They set him up when he was not yet elected!

This unsolvable debt is the Rep's. fault. Now that is the truth isn't it George? So the Reps made sure John looked like an adele old fool coming out with his wife's drug use and accepting Palin for his running mate. Well it worked Obama got the vote!!

So now he's set up and he thinks he can work it out but no here comes the Reps not to work on the mess they were the cause of. But to work for the next election. The heck with the American struggle for jobs...training programs.... business incentives... to put people back to work. No none of that!!

Just the same good ole boy agenda. Keep big business and the rich happy for the next election. Let the little guy sit there and wait!! We are more important!! Well I guess if I was making 170,000.00 a year for the rest of my life I wouldn't care about the peasants either.

As an IND... I say every darn one of you that sat on your duff and stone walled every thing Obama has tried to do will be voted out. No work for the Americans that put you jerks in office? They should at the very least take them out!!! And then lets work on a pay reform for the Senate..Congress... and all public officials. It's time the...

As an IND... I say every darn one of you that sat on your duff and stone walled every thing Obama has tried to do will be voted out. No work for the Americans that put you jerks in office? They should at the very least take them out!!! And then lets work on a pay reform for the Senate..Congress... and all public officials. It's time they came back down to earth where the rest of us are living!!

Pay for work!!....After your out of office no pay!!....Pay into SS....No pension unless you pay for it!!.....Same health benefits as the people!!....Want better?? You pay for it!!

It's time for the people to take back gov. We are suppose to be the boss they are suppose to work for us!!!

We get taxed...the rich get taxed (same ded the average American gets... nothing else)....Big bus pays taxes...(no write offs)

Tax breaks for business should be for hiring employees only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Frank Hatti 2012/01/01 20:12:53
    Frank
    Really?
  • noBama 2011/11/09 15:27:53
    noBama
    +1
    for socialism you pay twice, once up front for the program and again when you run out of money and your borrowing rates go up. obama you must know what is happening in europe how can you deny socialism does not work?
  • michael rayburn 2011/10/23 06:36:38
    michael rayburn
    +1
    yes, before China says"pay up!"
  • David 2011/08/29 18:43:02
    David
    +2
    just get him out of office ive had enough
  • Darklight - Genesis 1: 17-18 2011/08/06 05:34:02
    Darklight - Genesis 1: 17-18
    IMPEACH the Federal Reserve run by federal CFR gangsters, they own the US

"It appears as, the experiment that was called 'America' is at an end... then perhaps a fitting epitaph would be ... 'here lies America the greatest nation that might have been had it not been for the Edomite bankers who first stole their money, used their stolen money to buy their politicians and press and lastly deprived them of their constitutional freedom by the most evil device yet created - The Federal Reserve Banking System.' " G. D. McDaniel

THE MATRIX, THE U. S. CONSTITUTION, PLANNED BANK FAILURE AND THE MASS GENOCIDE OF AMERICA
    http://www.fourwinds10.com/si...
  • Tasine 2011/07/31 11:55:26
    Tasine
    +2
    Yes, he should be impeached; then he should be indicted for crimes against America.
  • Darklig... Tasine 2011/08/06 05:36:54
    Darklight - Genesis 1: 17-18
    +1
    END THE FED-IRS

"The Fed should be repealed, and the Fed Banks, having violated their charters, should be liquidated immediately. Faithless Government officials who have violated their oaths of office should be impeached and brought to trial".

"Mr. Chairman, the United States is bankrupt: It has been bankrupted by the corrupt and dishonest Fed. The man who deceives the people is a traitor to these United States". Congressman Louis B. McFadden, 1933 Survived two assassination attempts but not a third in 1935.

"The Federal Reserve banks are one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever seen. There is not a man within the sound of my voice who does not know that this nation is run by the International bankers." - Congressman Louis T. McFadden
  • Tasine Darklig... 2011/08/06 05:48:19
    +1
    But it won't!
  • Joves the Instigator 2011/07/30 01:23:53
    Joves the Instigator
    I think if there is a default then both sides should be fired and their retirement plans taken from them. It means that both sides were choosing to play games at the peril of the people. It is much like Obama who claims to care for the people saying Socialist Security and the military wont be paid even though tere is enough money to cover those, the debt, and much more. It means he chose to put the money in to something he considers more important. Not raising the Debt Ceiling is good for the people, it instantly restrains the spending.
    Both sides of the aisle always make sure the people are the first to suffer, yet their buddies still get theirs. Why do you think that is?
  • Patent1 Joves t... 2011/07/30 13:25:48
    Patent1
    "Not raising the Debt Ceiling is good for the people, it instantly restrains the spending." No intelligent person could make a statement like that. We would instantly be hit with at least a 10% increase of the cost of everything, and if you have any kind of retirement account it would instantly lose about 30% of its value. That would not be good for anybody.
  • Joves t... Patent1 2011/08/01 03:26:00
    Joves the Instigator
    Only if you believe the media and the politicans hype. A full default is the only way what you are listing would happen. The government takes in enough to pay its bills every month. The rest they spend is pure waste.
  • Patent1 Joves t... 2012/09/12 17:51:47
    Patent1
    The gov. cannot default on the debt. Its unconstitutional because of the 14th amendment. Further, its the House that holds the pursestrings of government. Its on them, but they want to turn it into a political football. If they do, then the prez has the option to declare some kind of emergency, and raise the debt ceiling himself. He threatened to do it once, he can do it again.
  • Joves t... Patent1 2012/09/20 23:16:39
    Joves the Instigator
    But here is the real thing. The government is already in default but you are not seeing it for one reason, and that is that for now we are the World Reserve Currency. When that status changes, and it will, the US will totally collapse. Hyperinflation will then kick in, and we will make Greece look like a wealthy nation. Think Zimbawe when you think of the shape we will be in, I hope you like carrying around Trillion Dollar notes to pay for bread.
  • Patent1 Joves t... 2012/09/21 02:19:42
    Patent1
    The gov. issues bonds to cover the debt. The gov has not defaulted on the bonds, so what you say is false. The rest is a fantasy.
  • Hatti Patent1 2012/01/02 22:37:06
    Hatti
    If it were good for the people then why did the Rep raise the debt ceiling seven times when Bush was in office? See you can't have a double standard here.
  • Patent1 Hatti 2012/09/12 17:54:34
    Patent1
    The prez has nothing to do with the debt ceiling. The House holds the pursestrings of government. Its on them. It would also be unconstitutional to not raise the debt limit because of the 14th amendment. If the repugs want to turn the debt ceiling into a political football and hold the country hostage, the prez an declare an emergency and raise the debt ceiling himself. He threatened to do that once already, he can do it again.
  • wildcat 2011/07/30 00:28:29
    wildcat
    +2
    You will never get 60 Senators to convict him.
  • Tasine wildcat 2011/07/31 11:58:32
    Tasine
    If I remember correctly, the House tries and convicts or not - then the Senate decides upon punishment. The House could find him as guilty as Charles Manson and the Senate could slap his hand and chide him not to do that again.

What is needed is criminal indictment.
  • wildcat Tasine 2011/07/31 13:31:59
    wildcat
    +1
    The house votes to impeach, the Senate acts as the Jury. You must have a 2/3(67) majority in the Senate to convict a President of his impeachable crime. Google Bill Clinton's impeachment trial.
  • Tasine wildcat 2011/07/31 13:52:42
    Tasine
    +1
    Yes, I believe you are right. My comment was a mere flash of memory. I followed the Clinton impeachment every day - and try as I might, I can't remember the Senate doing much of anything as the House brought out so much testimony, etc. Of course it was the House members who were mercilessly vilified by the press and the crazy left. I also don't remember the Senate voting on guilt or innocence. Must be my age - getting forgetful about small details.
  • Hatti Tasine 2012/01/02 22:39:35
    Hatti
    +1
    The only criminal indictment I see is the Reps that have used insider trading to get rich!!!
  • Tasine Hatti 2012/01/03 06:36:42
    Tasine
    How do you account for all the Democrats who have gotten rich before your very eyes - into the millions? Theirs was honest, but the reps were not? Is that how you judge things?
  • Hatti Tasine 2012/01/28 15:38:26
    Hatti
    They are politicians my dear!!! There are many slime buckets among them !! But for the millionaires not to pay their share is ridiculous!! So are you one that feels we should carry the country so the rich can become richer??? Do you like being a lackey?? I believe EVERYONE should carry the load they are able to carry! America ...equality for all it don't say the rich should be treated differently!!
  • Tasine Hatti 2012/01/28 15:52:03
    Tasine
    Millionaires pay their share. They pay what is legally demanded of them. How do you figure a millionaire should pay more for military protection than you have to pay? How do you figure a millionaire should have to pay more for social programs than you have to pay? I guess I don't understand your meaning of the word "fair".
  • Hatti Tasine 2012/02/04 18:48:30 (edited)
    Hatti
    I'm not asking them to pay more but I don't expect them to pay 17% less!! Are you a millionaire?? That you want to keep your millions and not pay your fair share ?

You know our politicians make themselves rich b/c they know what is happening before Wall Street?/ Oh i'm sure you know about insider trading!!
    So when we are talking about millionaires paying their fair share we are talking about the people that decide what is going to happen or not.

The problem is...What is legally demanded of them was changed by the Reps to be less than what is legally demanded of the other not so fortunate Americans!!!

You are looking at this as if b/c they pay more money than regular people... the poor rich folk are being taken advantage of. Give me a break... they pay 15% after all their deductions !! WE pay 32% and have no deductions!!
  • Tasine Hatti 2012/02/04 19:59:19
    Tasine
    Yeah, sure, I'm a millionaire. /s I get by quite well on approx. $25000/year. I believe what is mine is mine, what yours is yours, and what is the millionaire's is the millionaire's. Do you believe that what is others' belongs to you, or one of your friends? Why do you feel millionaires owe more than others? If you want to yell about someone, make it the government who sets ALL the rules re taxes. The millionaires (except those in Congress) set NONE of the rules re taxes. Can't you see that?! Why do you have to try to make it a class warfare issue when it is IN FACT a corrupt government problem?
  • Hatti Tasine 2012/02/10 17:30:20
    Hatti
    Exactly a corrupt gov is our problem!! Do you realize that big business and large income earners are the people that run this corrupt gov?

The problem with the wealthy today is ...they do not have the philosophy of old money. The Vanderbuilts and Roosevelts felt they were fortunate to be born into a privileged life so they gave to charities...hired people through developing businesses!! Today people with money are selfish ((what is theirs is theirs)) and they do not have to help their fellow man.

That is precisely why all people should be taxed the same. 36%.. 30% what ever but it should be everyone paying their fair share. Not that the rich can find loop holes and tax breaks and the poor single mom or low income family or the (shrinking) middle income should take the brunt of what the rich don't pay.

That is what is fair!!!
  • dallasjoe Tasine 2012/01/18 03:47:38
    dallasjoe
    +1
    House draws up article of Impeachments The trail is held in the Senate with the Cheif Justice of the US acting as Judge
  • Darklig... wildcat 2011/08/06 05:39:53
    Darklight - Genesis 1: 17-18
    Barry is just a puppet controlling him are the all powerful CFR-Jesuit international bankers.

"We have in this country one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. I refer to the Federal Reserve Board and the Federal Reserve Banks. They are not government institutions. They are private monopolies which prey upon the people of these United States for the benefit of themselves and their foreign customers. This evil institution has impoverished the people of the United States and has practically bankrupted our government, and it has done this through the corrupt practices of the moneyed vultures who control it." - Senator Louis T. McFadden, Chairman US Banking & Currency Commission
  • wildcat Darklig... 2011/08/06 11:39:18
  • Darklig... wildcat 2011/08/07 03:30:52
    Darklight - Genesis 1: 17-18
    america is a punk corporation of the British Crown that is run by antihuman Israel and the Vatican

the Constitution is a hoax you are a freakin slave, blow that slave

Weapons of Mass Destruction Found by Michael Tsarion The Constitution Con

http://www.taroscopes.com/mis...
  • Tasine Darklig... 2012/01/18 12:22:41
    Tasine
    And part of that problem is that our Congress just handed over our money to the Feds, supposedly with "oversight", but I don't think Congress has done much oversight. Years ago Congress just handed this to the Feds, who aren't Feds, and now act like they are just as stricken as you or I might be. I place major fault on Congress. Congress has been downright foolish re this for decades, and as a result, I believe Congress should be removed from handling our money.
  • dallasjoe wildcat 2012/01/18 03:46:32
    dallasjoe
    correction 67 2/3 it is in the Consitution
  • T 2011/07/29 23:11:35
    T
    +2
    As leader of our country it is his responsibility to make sure we are economically solvent. I believe we need to raise revenue, cut unnecessary spending and raise the debt limit temporarily.
  • Patent1 T 2011/07/30 13:34:51
    Patent1
    "it is his responsibility to make sure we are economically solvent". This is a nonsensical statement. The constitution puts the onus for budget matters squarely on the House. Its not the president's responsibility. If he wants spending, he has to go to congress, hat in hand, and request the spending. It is the same with cuts and taxes. He also has no power to introduce legislation.

I wish they had better Civics teachers in high school, A great deal of people on SH could benefit from at least a basic knowledge of the executive branch, the legislative branch and the judicial branch of gov. and who is responsible for what.
    Contrary to its name, Faux news is not a source of news or truth. The lies they tell are too numerous to mention, and are well documented.

2014/10/24 18:59:47