Should Courts Scrap the Affordable Health Care Act?

For the last two days, the Supreme Court has been poring over the 2010 Affordable Health Care Act to determine whether or not the individual mandate, which would require U.S. citizens to purchase health care, should stand. Going into the debate, supporters had high hopes. Now it seems unlikely the mandate will survive. At this point, the judges need to find a "limiting principle," or clear limit to Congress's power in requiring Americans to to have health insurance, or it might fall flat.

However, some believe striking the entire bill dead would do more harm than good. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said, "There are so many things in the act. Why make Congress redo that? Why should we stop and start from scratch?" Of course, there's the issue of who will go through the 2,700-page bill and decide which provisions can stay, and Rep. Michele Bachmann warns, "The individual mandate would be the funding stream that makes all of the rest of the act work." Do you think the courts should scrap the individual mandate and try to make it work, kill the entire thing and start from scratch, or just let it stand? You can read more information on this complex act here.

• Granmafour 2012/03/28 19:57:18 (edited)
    Kill it
    Granmafour
    +42
    Get the government out of healthcare all together. I don't want anyone between me and my doctor! This unconstitutional law - if upheld - will be the end of freedom as we know it. We have been on this slippery slope for 50 years or more and are about to go over the cliff. It will not be healthcare or affordable. What a misuse of those two words.

• Character 81sp 2012/04/04 02:46:28
    Character
    It's called the freedom to contract for insurance. If you don't pay for the coverage of a certain treatment, then you pay out-of-pocket or you don't get the service.

I'll bet you wish you had the health care that professional atheletes do, but good luck getting those doctors to treat you - unless you pay.
  • rt Granmafour 2012/03/30 23:08:35
    rt
    I want those without insurance to start paying their fair share. They go to the hospitals now, get treated and pass the cost onto either taxpayers or insurance companies that raise their rates to let people like me pay for the freeloaders.
  • Diane Granmafour 2012/04/01 04:19:12
    Diane
    Are you on Medicare or do you hope to someday be on Medicare? And, if so, are you aware that Medicare is government-run healthcare?
  • Character Diane 2012/04/04 02:47:12
    Character
    Government run health insurance - not health care.
  • Diane Character 2012/04/07 20:44:06
    Diane
    It's more government-run health insurance than is the Affordable Care Act. The ACA is not government run health care.
  • True~Male Granmafour 2012/04/06 21:13:11
    True~Male
    And get rid of Obama too !!!
  • SonofSp... Granmafour 2012/04/09 14:43:00
    SonofSpermcube
    +1
    Do you have health insurance? Does your doctor talk to pharmaceutical marketers?

Guess what...there's already someone between you and your doctor.
  • Natalie... SonofSp... 2012/04/10 02:26:43
    NatalieHolland
    +1
    Yes, there is. It's the private insurers. They decide which procedure you can get. They decide who lives and dies. It's terrible.
  • Wren77 Granmafour 2012/04/09 17:37:46
    Wren77
    I need my govt Medicare. Otherwise I would join the ranks of those with no car at all.
  • richwright Granmafour 2012/04/14 17:04:31
    richwright
    Except the insurance company ripping you off of course.
  • BlackSouth Granmafour 2012/04/16 12:51:13
    BlackSouth
    I don't know too much about Obamacare. So I will not speak on it. What I do know is that I lived in Germany for 14 years and they have government run healthcare with a private option. While I was there I had two major surgeries and since I played sports was at the physician numerous times with bumps and bruises and sprains. All at no cost to me. Even the medication was paid for. When my wife was pregnant with my daughter we never missed an appointment. We were able to select our own Doctor since all Doctors are included in the network. The private option had only one difference. If you had a hospital stay you got a private room. That's about it. Everything else was paid for and from what I understand many of the things that we would pay outside of the government healthcare (Cosmetic surgery) was covered in their health plan. When I came back home to the US. I needed a surgery to remove fatty tissue from the back of my neck. That was 4 years ago and I am still paying a 17,000 + dollar bill, because my insurance called it a pre-existing condition. So since I know that in at least 3 other countries that whose healthcare system is better than ours I was curious as to how Healthcare here in the US ranks with other countries., and this is what I found out.
    If the government provides...

If the government provides the same healthcare as all Federal employees ( many of the same government officials who are asking to repeal Obamacare enjoy government healthcare because of the jobs they hold. See what they would do if you asked them to discontinue their government healthcare plan and start paying for it themselves and their families.))have available to them, that is an improvement, but not the best we can do. A better solution is for the government to put us all on the same basic coverage as Medicaid, but Federally run rather than State run. The premiums for those not indigent would be lower and the defaults for emergency care of indigent would be significantly less. It would profit us in the long run by having a healthier populace but, more important to business, a healthier workforce and less overhead to figure in the cost of labor for Big Business.

This would make us far more competitive with foreign labor (with the exception of the third world countries who treat their workers and citizens as expendable resources). Real reform in healthcare will only be possible with some government control over cost. I do not believe the value of a person’s life or quality of life should be sacrificed to the bottom line.

France, Germany, and Great Britain all have nationalized health care – and they ALL spend less per capita than we do.

The following table shows where the US ranks in comparison to other countries in terms of healthcare systems and their efficiency (infant mortality, etc.). The US in 37, behind virtually every EU country and Canada.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

http://lauraschneider.wordpre...
  • BlackSouth Granmafour 2012/04/16 12:53:57
    BlackSouth
    If the government provides...

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

http://lauraschneider.wordpre...
  • Whodini Granmafour 2012/04/23 01:11:20
    Whodini
    Perhaps your case is different but there's a hell of a lot of insurance industry redtape standing between sick people and their physicians.
    And many of the sick have suffered and continue to suffer because of those frequently arbitrary decisions.
    That said, I support replacing the act with a single-payer system. MEDICARE FOR ALL!!
  • RobinPeta Granmafour 2012/06/28 16:54:13
    RobinPeta
    Haha, upheld by the court - not unconstitutional!! Victory for the American people.
  • mneiai 2012/03/28 19:54:03
    Leave it
    mneiai
    +3
    It's not perfect, but there's no chance for a revision that will be better. We might as well take what we can get before things get even worse. The people who vote against it only listen to the conspiracy theories from the right, they don't pay attention to the actual facts (you know, like the fact the Republicans CREATED the individual mandate back in the 90s and thought it was perfectly reasonable since, as everyone has said over and over again, everyone paying for healthcare is responsible for paying for those without healthcare, in the end).
  • Barbara... mneiai 2012/03/28 20:15:25
    Barbara Grant
    +4
    It is really true. There is no cure for stupid. How can you say just accept it. Stay out of my
    purse. Thank you if I need it I will buy it. I don't need the government telling me what I need.
  • Yo'Adri... Barbara... 2012/03/28 23:16:04
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +1
    KILL IT>.. Off with it's ugly head.!
  • Becky Barbara... 2012/03/28 23:29:15
    Becky
    No you don't Barbara, your HARD HEAD won't allow it, the BRAIN is a hard thing to replace or absorb knowledge in your case.
  • Becky mneiai 2012/03/28 23:27:43
    Becky
    Finally someone with some BRAINS! Mneiai, KEEP IT UP!
  • JMCC 2012/03/28 19:52:44 (edited)
    Leave it
    JMCC
    +3
    "Why shoud the rich care for the poor?
    Let them starve or die of disease, they are only excess population after all..."

Anon - Republican
  • lark JMCC 2012/03/28 19:59:08 (edited)
    lark
    +4
    We are not socialists & I know people with out health care. My owne sister-in-law had to have surgery they did it & she made payments what ever she could afford. Others had surgery & said they would not even attempt to make pyments. We should not have to care for the illegals that sneak in they can go back home & be taken care off. I don't want older people to be told they will not get help because they are to old to worry about. Taxes were never to be used as charity, that is why we have charities Go donate to a good charity.
  • jeepsru... lark 2012/03/28 21:00:16
    jeepsrule98
    +1
    You don't know much about the AHCA do you. It keeps insurance companies from denying someone coverage because of age and it keeps them from charging higher premiums for older Adults.
  • lark jeepsru... 2012/03/28 21:13:36
    lark
    +1
    You don't know much about this bill
  • Becky lark 2012/03/28 23:35:01
    Becky
    No I think Jeepsru hit the nail on the head and in your case a HARDHEAD.
  • lark Becky 2012/04/02 03:40:55
    lark
    ask a Canadian that has been sick how well this social medicine works. If they are very ill ask them quick
  • Phil_will1 lark 2012/03/29 02:34:23
    Phil_will1
    +3
    Apparently, neither do the legislators who voted for it.
  • Yo'Adri... lark 2012/03/28 23:16:41
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +1
    Great comment.
  • Becky lark 2012/03/28 23:34:00
    Becky
    LARK, you will never understand........hope comes from knowledge, knowledge comes from yearning for more........everyone will pay something......as we should. We will always have the POOR but we are instructed to help them, it is called God's law.
  • shadow76 Becky 2012/03/29 03:54:38
    shadow76
    +4
    God said help the poor yourself. Not have the Govt force others to do it.
  • lark Becky 2012/04/02 03:31:48
    lark
    that is why we have charties donate, give your time but do not use taxes for charity
  • COS lark 2012/03/29 18:10:19
    COS
    +1
    lark, A country that take care of their peoples is not socialist, but very smart & wise policies to protect the nation from all kinds of diseases. So remember charity does start at home.

Well... if you do pay for your health care insurance, and you wonder why youre paying more then look no further then to your family members, who is making their payments whenever they can. So the hospitals is pasting off those lostest in tax write off, higher prices for fee's & services, your health care provider.

And yes, the illegals are also a problem too, but we would have change our country health laws or come up with a better ID system.
  • lark COS 2012/04/02 03:33:17
    lark
    she paid off her bill Illegals do not give addresses or correct names we pay their bills.
  • COS lark 2012/04/02 13:52:41
    COS
    Thats good, but how many other havent pay off theres ? I am more than sure they are in the 1,000s.
  • JMCC lark 2012/05/23 21:18:06
    JMCC
    Of course you are right.

We should not care.
  • lark JMCC 2012/05/26 03:23:43
    lark
    you should care but donate do not have it stolen from you. We are the most generous people in the world. We give time, & $ but I do not like having my pocket picked. People have to be responsible for their debts and charity's can help.
  • Barbara... JMCC 2012/03/28 20:17:09
    Barbara Grant
    Well here's another one.
  • Keith H... JMCC 2012/03/28 20:39:28
    Keith Herriott
    +1
    That my friend, is the philosophy of despair!
  • Brian R... JMCC 2012/03/28 21:20:42
    Brian Ryman
    +3
    People who truly care for the poor would allow them freedom and fight to end the FDA with its support for crony capitalism within the pharmaceutical industry.
  • kmay JMCC 2012/03/28 22:31:41
    kmay
    +4
    We care for the poor. We just don't brag about it. We support them everyday not only financially, but physically care for them and we pray for them. Democrats don't!
  • Becky JMCC 2012/03/28 23:30:38
    Becky
    Are you sure you are an American???????? Hopefully you are a Christian and can pray for forgiviness for your comment.

2014/10/02 08:30:34