Should Courts Scrap the Affordable Health Care Act?

For the last two days, the Supreme Court has been poring over the 2010 Affordable Health Care Act to determine whether or not the individual mandate, which would require U.S. citizens to purchase health care, should stand. Going into the debate, supporters had high hopes. Now it seems unlikely the mandate will survive. At this point, the judges need to find a "limiting principle," or clear limit to Congress's power in requiring Americans to to have health insurance, or it might fall flat.

However, some believe striking the entire bill dead would do more harm than good. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said, "There are so many things in the act. Why make Congress redo that? Why should we stop and start from scratch?" Of course, there's the issue of who will go through the 2,700-page bill and decide which provisions can stay, and Rep. Michele Bachmann warns, "The individual mandate would be the funding stream that makes all of the rest of the act work." Do you think the courts should scrap the individual mandate and try to make it work, kill the entire thing and start from scratch, or just let it stand? You can read more information on this complex act here.

• Granmafour 2012/03/28 19:57:18 (edited)
    Kill it
    Granmafour
    +42
    Get the government out of healthcare all together. I don't want anyone between me and my doctor! This unconstitutional law - if upheld - will be the end of freedom as we know it. We have been on this slippery slope for 50 years or more and are about to go over the cliff. It will not be healthcare or affordable. What a misuse of those two words.

• taitaFa... Soundstorm 2012/04/03 06:17:04
    taitaFalcon23
    can't deal with metaphors huh? ah well... my typing style is not new or unheard of... I type a lot actually; take care!
  • Soundstorm taitaFa... 2012/04/03 08:01:47
    Soundstorm
    You haven't given me any metaphors to deal with. Just your childish writing.
  • taitaFa... Soundstorm 2012/04/03 14:02:02
    taitaFalcon23
    goo-goo gah, gah....
  • Soundstorm taitaFa... 2012/04/04 04:54:00
    Soundstorm
    That's a lot of typing for a Fisher Price toy. I always knew Liberalism was a degenerative condition. Looks like yours has accelerated.
  • taitaFa... Soundstorm 2012/04/04 05:19:29
    taitaFalcon23
    yep sure has
  • Soundstorm taitaFa... 2012/04/05 23:34:19
    Soundstorm
    I don't need your agreement to prove my point now. Just stop smoking whatever has been destroying your precious little gray cells while you still can.
  • taitaFa... Soundstorm 2012/04/06 03:27:16
    taitaFalcon23
    Actually, it wasn't agreement - I was just shining you on - it's called sarcasm you moron.
  • Soundstorm Soundstorm 2012/04/06 03:34:39
    Soundstorm
    I've been blocked by a particular clueless and cowardly moron who has a poor grasp of sarcasm. Unblock me at your peril, punk boy.
  • sammanilla Daryl 2012/03/31 03:57:06
  • Soundstorm sammanilla 2012/04/05 23:35:47
    Soundstorm
    +1
    I'd like a ride on that van too but I don't have the connections.
  • sammanilla Soundstorm 2012/04/06 02:16:50
    sammanilla
    +1
    Just the fact printed on that van should make any American furious with its government.
  • Rebel Yell 2012/03/28 20:29:32
    Revise it
    Rebel Yell
    +2
    Those parts currently in place are quite popular. If the individual mandate is killed off, there goes care for those with pre existing conditions. Either way, many people will be happy while others will be unhappy. No doubt the big insurers want this to go forward. They will pick up millions of new customers. But if it doesn't they can always go back to what they did before... picking and choosing who lives and dies, hiking premiums at a whim, and no preventive care. People will still arrive at the ER and tax payers will once again pick up the tab. More people will go bankrupt trying to save their own life or the life of a loved one.

The status quo did not serve the populace. Why anyone would want to go retro is craziness. America has the best health care in the world. Too bad most Americans cannot afford it.

It is unlikely health care debate would be given another run for years. It's political suicide.
  • Thane36425 2012/03/28 20:29:32
    Revise it
    Thane36425
    That was supposed to be a vote for kill it. My insurance premium has almost doubled since this thing passed and its still going up and getting hard to afford. Any other plan I take will cost even more than that. So much for making health care affordable and letting you keep your own plan if you like it.
  • Chanch 2012/03/28 20:21:09
    Kill it
    Chanch
    +4
    First and foremost, WHO the hell said it is affordable. The question is missleading to say the very least. It is unconstitutional also. That is what that is being considered by the supreme court.
  • Natalie... Chanch 2012/04/10 02:21:23
    NatalieHolland
    Private healthcare is a fraud!
  • Chanch Natalie... 2012/04/10 02:56:44
    Chanch
    Allhealthcare is a fraud !
  • H Day Case 2012/03/28 20:18:10
    Kill it
    H Day Case
    +3
    The whole thing was a abortion to begin with. Affordable health care can be obtained better by removing restrictions on interstate competition between health care insurers and allowing that competition to drive pricing down. For those who could afford insurance but unwisely choose not to carry it, we should require that they be cared for in emergencies but with the provision they should not expect the rest of society to bear the consequences of their poor judgment. They should bear the costs of that care themselves, regardless of how expensive it might be. It's called personal responsibility! For those who truly can't afford it we have medicaid and where that falls short other, state run plans would be best to fill in the gap.
  • Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/03/28 20:16:58
    Kill it
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +5
    I'd rather be uninsured (its not as bad as you might think. Just learn to haggle and negotiate.), than be forced to buy insurance on the government's terms.
  • dh57 2012/03/28 20:16:42
    Kill it
    dh57
    +3
    No, but they should scrap the part where the FED is allowed to mandate individual payment for a product. This is akin to the Feds requiring everyone to pay for a cell phone because those who do not own one increase commerce costs for those of us who do - because those that do own cell phones support those who don't through subsidized phone service.
  • voice_matters 2012/03/28 20:15:48
    Kill it
    voice_matters
    +1
    nothing in the bill did anything to effect healthcare services, cost or quality. it was supported by every major haealth insurance agency and was ahted by every medical association. wonder why that was and is.
  • Pm voice_m... 2012/03/30 20:32:37 (edited)
    Pm
    Health insurance agencies will be making a lot more money after this bill....Nothing in the bill directly lowers the effect of healthcare services. But as you read about the socialized healthcare services or U.K, France, Canada, Finland, ect ... Wait time for specialist care takes a lot longer. Equipment is at least 10 years old. There is no incentive to buy new equipment since the costs are fixed, and new equipment has a high price tag to it.
  • Golden Panther 2012/03/28 20:14:44
    Kill it
    Golden Panther
    +3
    The courts should kill any legislation that falls outside the constitutional scope as designated by the foundling fathers...in other words, the only thing the Feds should be involved with is national defense and certain bureaus meant to safeguard America's interest domestically and abroad. All other matters of government should be at the mandate of the states and or their local counterparts. NO MORE BIG BROTHER GOVERNMENT.
  • susan 2012/03/28 20:14:14
    Kill it
    susan
    +5
    Time to start over. Kill it and then give the Paul Ryan budget a chance to clean up the economy before taking up this issue again. Until the rest of the economy has healed from the massive damages done by the financial community bailouts and the things Wall Street, the Treasury and the Fed Reserve did to all middle class people, nothing else should take precedence.
  • Howler 2012/03/28 20:12:31 (edited)
    Kill it
    Howler
    +7
    Straight to its own death panel.

And then get some reform that is null and void of a centralized governmental power grab by this sick, sick left-wing, Progressive Obama admin and do-nothing left-wing Senate.

Make the reform about HEALTHCARE...NOT about GOVERNMENT CONTROL by using some kind of pseudo-healthcare "for everybody" facade as its controlling force.

Obama and left-wing Progressivism is a disgrace to humanity by exploiting people's needs for political power and control.

It needs to STOP.
  • foobar 2012/03/28 20:10:24
    Leave it
    foobar
    +5
    This country is bankrupt due to wars and health care costs from greedy insurance companies. The first thing that 'a' country should decide wrt health care is whether its population deserves to health care. If you say no, then why not just kill them instead of putting them through years of pain? If you say yes, then you need a plan to provide health care for those who cannot afford it - AND you need to solve the issue of health care bankrupting the country (around the 2008 presidential election there were members of the military saying it was now an issue of national security so it 'is' a big issue). The affordable health care act did nothing to solve the issue of cost; health care is still provided in the same way by the same players, but it does provide health care to more people with more controls. So if you believe the courts should scrap this program you must believe that something stronger should take its place. The only two stronger approaches have already been soundly dumped by the right: (1) allow all americans to have access to the same health insurance program that federal employees get (Note: this is an INSURANCE plan administered by an INSURANCE COMPANY, not a government entity), or (2) develop a single payer system like much of the rest of the world. The former fi...

This country is bankrupt due to wars and health care costs from greedy insurance companies. The first thing that 'a' country should decide wrt health care is whether its population deserves to health care. If you say no, then why not just kill them instead of putting them through years of pain? If you say yes, then you need a plan to provide health care for those who cannot afford it - AND you need to solve the issue of health care bankrupting the country (around the 2008 presidential election there were members of the military saying it was now an issue of national security so it 'is' a big issue). The affordable health care act did nothing to solve the issue of cost; health care is still provided in the same way by the same players, but it does provide health care to more people with more controls. So if you believe the courts should scrap this program you must believe that something stronger should take its place. The only two stronger approaches have already been soundly dumped by the right: (1) allow all americans to have access to the same health insurance program that federal employees get (Note: this is an INSURANCE plan administered by an INSURANCE COMPANY, not a government entity), or (2) develop a single payer system like much of the rest of the world. The former fits nicely into our capitalistic notions and is the way it is done now; it simply provides greater competition for insurance companies. That was Obama's original plan. The current one, we all know, at least the parts people are complaining about, were demanded by the insurance company lobbyists, not the government. But does the government have the right to make us do something? Does it have the right to tax us? Does it have the right to send us to war? Blah, blah, blah? I suspect it does, regardless of what everyone/anyone thinks. You can always exercise your right to bear arms and go against the government; good luck with that one.

It seems to me that every american should have access to health care, and the country should not be forced into bankruptcy because of the cost of health care. So I say leave this bill as is and start working, now, on something that covers all the bases.
  • Keith Herriott 2012/03/28 20:09:57
    Revise it
    Keith Herriott
    +1
    It's obscene that a person should be denied access to medical care because they are too poor! If the individual mandate is a stumbling block, then remove it but for God's sake don't scrap the whole thing out of an idealistic stance!!!!
  • Natalie... Keith H... 2012/04/10 02:22:28
    NatalieHolland
    It's obscene that a person should be denied access to medical care because they are too poor!--- I agree!
  • JT 2012/03/28 20:06:37
    Kill it
    JT
    +8
    0bamacare needs to go.
  • Jackie G - Poker Playing Pa... 2012/03/28 20:04:12 (edited)
    Kill it
    +11
    It is a lousy bill - it was the day it was voted into law - needs to be dumped and those very few good parts can be written into a new bill using some of the excellent ideas out there - example: a nation wide pool for those with existing conditions, a voucher system for the uninsured so they may buy a plan that works for them, allow insurance companies to cross state lines and compete - allow people to buy catastrophic insurance not the idiot 'cadillac' plan being forced on everyone by Obamacare. -- so many other great ideas that would make insurance cheaper and available.
  • grandpa6 2012/03/28 20:03:45
    Kill it
    grandpa6
    +14
    Kill this monster 2000 page piece of bureaucratic CRAP and start over with a 20 page bill without death panels and taxes. Something everyone can read & understand. We do not need some fat asses sitting at a desk making health care decisions who know nothing about medicine.
  • Kerri Mackenzie 2012/03/28 20:03:39
    Kill it
    Kerri Mackenzie
    +15
    The bill is a disaster and should be thrown out on the basis of its unconstitutionality alone. The government does not have the right to force its citizens to buy any product or service - that's not the role of government. That kind of power is dangerous and can never be allowed.
  • lark Kerri M... 2012/03/28 20:05:10
    lark
    +3
    Next he will tell us we have to buy Volts
  • Kerri M... lark 2012/04/07 03:14:07
    Kerri Mackenzie
    Chevy Volt.... hahahaha!...Another loser!!!
  • Keith H... Kerri M... 2012/03/28 20:33:19 (edited)
    Keith Herriott
    +3
    I'm a brit and I remember the day that the NHS came into being and the promise was "health care for all from cradle to grave" for which everyone contributes a percentage of their income according to their means. I'm really struggling to understand why you Americans are so opposed to a scheme which provides medical treatment for everyone irrespective of their personal wealth. From what I understand, a great many bankruptcies are caused by people unable to pay for medical care for loved ones with long term illnesses like cancer. I'm not attacking anyone, and our system is far from perfect but I really cannot understand the apparently deeply ingrained resistance to government having any sort of control over it's citizens lives however small. What do you see government's role as? It seems as if Americans don't want government to have ANY influence over your lives. Surely, the purpose of government is to protect its citizens above all else. This entails providing education, an army to defend its citizens, a police force etc. and health care must surely come in there somewhere? I really am mystified and would appreciate some explanation/clarification. Many topics on SH I find frivolous but this is huge and I don't know why so many want to kill this bill completely.
  • Becky Keith H... 2012/03/28 23:23:43
    Becky
    +1
    Because they are not knowledgible and they just LOVE to complain.......they feel this is their RIGHT as an American Citizens. Keith, it is SAD, but Americans are so self-centered they can't see the forest for the trees and complaining is what they do God forgive someone might tell them what they must do to help themselves. They would rather drown fighting than to take the offer that is put before them. Small minds make small decisions. We are suppose to be one of the best country in the World but with these comments they make us look like out like pure FOOLS. Get use to it Keith it doesn't get much better than this most of the time. They always feel like they are "dammed if they do and "dammed" if they don't" AND NEVER SATISFIED. You are right and I'm sorry that you have had to experience this outrage.
  • Keith H... Becky 2012/03/29 02:58:06 (edited)
    Keith Herriott
    +1
    The thing that I find truly horrifying Becky, is the apparent callousness of some posters. One even suggested that compulsory car insurance is "unconstitutional"! What if they were driving whilst uninsured and caused an accident permanently crippling or killing several people? Would they feel it was OK to shrug their shoulders and walk away owning no responsibility? Many speak as if everyone who has no medical insurance does so by choice. I watched an American documentary recently where many families were living in storm drains at terrible risk should there be a flood, and one guy who had had a well paid middle class job had been made redundant and lost his home, everything. He had a strangulated hernia and an army medic giving free medical care to people in these circumstances, gave him a note to take to hospital because the condition had become life threatening, apart from the constant pain he was in. The hospital demanded :$20,000 before they would operate! What kind of world is that to be proud of? Some posters actually said to let people in his situation die!
  • BlackSouth Keith H... 2012/04/16 12:53:27
    BlackSouth
    I don't know too much about Obamacare. So I will not speak on it. What I do know is that I lived in Germany for 14 years and they have government run healthcare with a private option. While I was there I had two major surgeries and since I played sports was at the physician numerous times with bumps and bruises and sprains. All at no cost to me. Even the medication was paid for. When my wife was pregnant with my daughter we never missed an appointment. We were able to select our own Doctor since all Doctors are included in the network. The private option had only one difference. If you had a hospital stay you got a private room. That's about it. Everything else was paid for and from what I understand many of the things that we would pay outside of the government healthcare (Cosmetic surgery) was covered in their health plan. When I came back home to the US. I needed a surgery to remove fatty tissue from the back of my neck. That was 4 years ago and I am still paying a 17,000 + dollar bill, because my insurance called it a pre-existing condition. So since I know that in at least 3 other countries that whose healthcare system is better than ours I was curious as to how Healthcare here in the US ranks with other countries., and this is what I found out.
    If the government provides...

If the government provides the same healthcare as all Federal employees ( many of the same government officials who are asking to repeal Obamacare enjoy government healthcare because of the jobs they hold. See what they would do if you asked them to discontinue their government healthcare plan and start paying for it themselves and their families.))have available to them, that is an improvement, but not the best we can do. A better solution is for the government to put us all on the same basic coverage as Medicaid, but Federally run rather than State run. The premiums for those not indigent would be lower and the defaults for emergency care of indigent would be significantly less. It would profit us in the long run by having a healthier populace but, more important to business, a healthier workforce and less overhead to figure in the cost of labor for Big Business.

This would make us far more competitive with foreign labor (with the exception of the third world countries who treat their workers and citizens as expendable resources). Real reform in healthcare will only be possible with some government control over cost. I do not believe the value of a person’s life or quality of life should be sacrificed to the bottom line.

France, Germany, and Great Britain all have nationalized health care – and they ALL spend less per capita than we do.

The following table shows where the US ranks in comparison to other countries in terms of healthcare systems and their efficiency (infant mortality, etc.). The US in 37, behind virtually every EU country and Canada.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

http://lauraschneider.wordpre...
  • shadowmoon Keith H... 2012/04/02 21:48:26
    shadowmoon
    +1
    That is the most intelligent post I've seen on SodaHead in months. I am in complete agreement with you, and your ideaology is one of the reasons I would love to move to Europe after college. Politics in America have literally been reduced to truthful vs. moronic, and the terrible part is that the morons seem to be winning.
  • Natalie... Keith H... 2012/04/10 02:23:11
    NatalieHolland
    Cradle to grave-- I want it in America!
  • lark Keith H... 2012/04/14 04:10:16
    lark
    The government is not to tell us we have to purchase anything, they can not by the Constitution do this. Allowing this just for Health Ins. can not be. Our government would expand on it. I also don't like the fact that a panel of laymen can tell my Dr. how to treat me, If I am told I have a sickness and need treatment I don not want to wait 6 mths. We are not socialists in this country, charity is charity and should not use tax $$. When we want to contribute to a charity we pick our charity and contribute. At this point in time we are having our tax $'s used for every thing including illegals that have broken the law by living in our country. I don't know how your health care system is or how effective it is when you are truly ill but I have spoken to Canadians that have many problems when sick.

2014/08/28 05:30:39