Should Courts Scrap the Affordable Health Care Act?

For the last two days, the Supreme Court has been poring over the 2010 Affordable Health Care Act to determine whether or not the individual mandate, which would require U.S. citizens to purchase health care, should stand. Going into the debate, supporters had high hopes. Now it seems unlikely the mandate will survive. At this point, the judges need to find a "limiting principle," or clear limit to Congress's power in requiring Americans to to have health insurance, or it might fall flat.

However, some believe striking the entire bill dead would do more harm than good. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said, "There are so many things in the act. Why make Congress redo that? Why should we stop and start from scratch?" Of course, there's the issue of who will go through the 2,700-page bill and decide which provisions can stay, and Rep. Michele Bachmann warns, "The individual mandate would be the funding stream that makes all of the rest of the act work." Do you think the courts should scrap the individual mandate and try to make it work, kill the entire thing and start from scratch, or just let it stand? You can read more information on this complex act here.

• Granmafour 2012/03/28 19:57:18 (edited)
    Kill it
    Granmafour
    +42
    Get the government out of healthcare all together. I don't want anyone between me and my doctor! This unconstitutional law - if upheld - will be the end of freedom as we know it. We have been on this slippery slope for 50 years or more and are about to go over the cliff. It will not be healthcare or affordable. What a misuse of those two words.

• sensibleone 2012/05/28 17:45:26
    Revise it
    sensibleone
    If they can't revise it I think they should kill it. Now I voted for President Obama but I don't like at all, some of the components of this Act. To have all Americans to be forced to be micro chipped " No way! " That's part of the Act. To penalize those who can't afford to pay? "No way!" I have other reasons but those are the most important.
  • Whodini 2012/04/23 01:12:24
    Revise it
    Whodini
    Single-payer is the way to go for the US. Get it done, do it right, the human cost of half-measures is a heavy toll.
  • Veteran Patriot 2012/04/16 23:37:52
    Kill it
    Veteran Patriot
    +1
    Who is it affordable to? Spungers. How will it help seniors? Stealing $490 Billion out of advantage care is not the way I would have gone. And to use it for illegal's free healthcare. It's affodable to them. How can we all keep our own Dr.'s when the choice is medicare. Putting 40 million more people on Medicare when it is bankrupt now does that make since? Kill it.
  • jay 2012/04/16 20:26:48
    Kill it
    jay
    +2
    If they follow the constitution the individual mandate will be killed.
  • Maverick Capitalist 2012/04/16 16:00:08
    Kill it
    Maverick Capitalist
    +3
    I've heard the argument and claim by Obama that it is "Affordable" but there is absolutely no evidence to prove that claim. And yet there are substantial evidence proving that government programs do not EVER reduce costs.

There are only a few things that will reduce costs -- 1) increase competition, 2) reduce regulations, 3) Tort reform and 4) change the thought that "INSURANCE" is anything other than for catastrophic illness...it is NOT for everyday ailments or problems like a broken leg.

People act like if they have insurance they personally do not pay. Insurance is not for going to the doctor if you have the flu, or cut your arm or have poison ivy. What is wrong with going to the doctors -- not filling out spending an hour filling out 3 pages of insurance paperwork? Why do I have to be subject to the BS when I go to the doctors to get a prescription for poison oak? Why would I need a f******* blood test or MRI?

Essentially people that have insurance abuse it and go to the doctors for every little damn thing there is for no reason simply because the insured doesn't think they pay for the doctors visit. THERE IS NOTHING THAT IS FREE. AND GOVERNMENT CAN ONLY TAKE YOUR MONEY FROM YOU IN ORDER TO GIVE IT BACK TO YOU AND THEN PROCLAIM IT TO BE A "BENEFIT".
  • cfd007 2012/04/16 15:39:41
    Kill it
    cfd007
    +1
    Kill it before it kills us and keep the Feds out of my life!
  • Brendan Mcdonald 2012/04/16 07:43:41
    Leave it
    Brendan Mcdonald
    +1
    Jesus healed the sick for free so why shouldn't our nation do the same. :)
  • Dan ☮ R... Brendan... 2012/04/16 18:57:38 (edited)
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    Because, Jesus was anindividual that spent his own time and used his own power to heal.

The government uses other people's money and resources.

That, and Jesus tended to be selfless while government tends to be selfish. Its best not to trust government with "charity" for that reason.
  • BlackSouth Dan ☮ R... 2012/04/18 13:49:19
    BlackSouth
    Yet and still Jesus commanded of us to do the same? how much of your own time do you take to heal? To how many charities do you give?
  • Jason W... BlackSouth 2012/04/24 00:57:58
    Jason Worth
    Hmm, pretty sure there was something about judging other too. Might have to do with a log in your own eye.

Think he also said not to work on the Sabbath ( to include cooking), but almost none hold that commandment lol.

Just saying.
  • BlackSouth Jason W... 2012/04/24 02:14:34
    BlackSouth
    Almost none, but I do. Friday evening til Saturday evening is the Sabbath and I do keep it. I am still not judgement if you don't. I will just have to add you to my prayers.
  • Dianne ... Brendan... 2013/12/16 13:44:42 (edited)
    Dianne Katsikis Cariello
    Seriously...let's start with doctors, they don't go to school for free! So just who do you think should pay for all these services...the govt? Guess what where do you think they get the money ....the working person !!!!
  • Azrael-In GOD we trust 2012/04/16 02:18:40
    Kill it
    Azrael-In GOD we trust
    Squash it fast like a bug. Elect a real president and start over with some kind of reform. I realize some folks don't have health care (I'm one of them) but I would rather have NO healthcare than BOcare.
    Insurance companies need reeled in, too, on their overpriced premiums and the drug companies need to quit robbing folks, too. There are many avenues that we could start with to help out those with no care.
  • BlackSouth Azrael-... 2012/04/16 12:35:12
    BlackSouth
    +1
    Most of the ones in office that say repeal government healthcare receive government healthcare themselves. They are government officials it comes with the job,. I bet if you take away their government healthcare benefits they would probably make a big fuss.
    Insurance companies and Drug companies are capitalist they are not in the business of helping people they are in the business in making money.
  • Azrael-... BlackSouth 2012/04/16 17:25:47
    Azrael-In GOD we trust
    Exactly right about the officials and their healthcare.
    Right again on insurance and drug companies-and I am for capitalism all the way, but there is no use in robbing people who need healthcare or meds at times.
  • BlackSouth Azrael-... 2012/04/16 18:26:23
    BlackSouth
    So what would be the best solution?
  • Azrael-... BlackSouth 2012/04/16 23:39:33
    Azrael-In GOD we trust
    States should handle it with the help of local folks.
  • Jason W... BlackSouth 2012/04/24 01:01:15
    Jason Worth
    Yeah those damn drug companies constantly developing all these new drugs to cure the worst diseases of mankind. They should not make a profit at all! those bastards should just want to do it. And pay their employee's with love.
  • bill 2012/04/16 00:55:45
    Kill it
    bill
    I say kill it unless we the average person gets the same healthcare that people in office get, after all doesn't the tax payer pay for that also?
  • BlackSouth bill 2012/04/16 12:32:11
    BlackSouth
  • Swampdog PWCM 2012/04/15 21:40:31
    Kill it
    Swampdog PWCM
    +2
    The U.S Government has given us a failed Social Security plan a failed medicare/aid plan, failed educational system, and now they want us to purchase this health care bill. To enforce this Obama has hired 16,000 new IRS Agents. If it's a health care plan shouldn't he be hiring DOCTORS, instead of IRS agents? I don't know of one person who voted for all these failed plans, seems like they were given to us by the corrupt American Government!
  • sbtbill Swampdo... 2012/04/16 06:04:16
    sbtbill
    I've been voting for Senators and Representatives who support national health care for decades. So now you know one person. A major reason Obama won in 2008 was to enact this legislation. So there are probably quite a few of us.
  • Jason W... sbtbill 2012/04/24 01:02:03
    Jason Worth
    Yeah that and he is black.
  • BlackSouth Swampdo... 2012/04/16 12:29:59
    BlackSouth
    +1
    The government was corrupt already before Obama got there. Mostly every president before him had some type of reform plan for social security, medicare,medicaid welfare and education. Those are what I call "pass the buck" issues. Most other presidents found ways to push those issues to the side and pass them on to the next administration. Oh yeah immigration reform also belongs to the pass the buck pile too. All of these programs have been on the pile for the last 25, 30 years and not one president seems to have gotten around to taking care of them or do they really want to.
  • Swampdo... BlackSouth 2012/04/18 12:54:11
    Swampdog PWCM
    Sadly, true.
  • BlackSouth Swampdo... 2012/04/18 14:19:22
    BlackSouth
    +1
    I have been following politics for a very long time now, and I am sad to say American people are ugly to each other. Regardless of which party's President is in office. They spend their time doing and undoing each others work. (repeal) So nothing gets done that way. The problems that they really need to fix they really don't want to solve (Medicaid, medicare,immigration) and I think mainly because the American public is so divided on these issues. Who wants to diminish their political popularity or lessen their chances for re-election. So those cans get kicked down the road. The president who ever tries to tackle those issues become right away unpopular. Bush said he was going to resolve the immigration issue. He didn't touch it the whole time he was there. Two terms. So did any of the Presidents before him . For the last 30 years. Now we have this President. He is black. (To the right He is black, half black to half white. I went by the rule that I was brought by that was taught by whites from long ago. the 1/8 blood rule. Actual that was on the law books. That's how those in power saw us. why should that change now?)He inherited 2 unpaid for wars. (That already were a drain on the economy.) and a failing economy, and a nation full of unhappy people. What would you do if you ...
    I have been following politics for a very long time now, and I am sad to say American people are ugly to each other. Regardless of which party's President is in office. They spend their time doing and undoing each others work. (repeal) So nothing gets done that way. The problems that they really need to fix they really don't want to solve (Medicaid, medicare,immigration) and I think mainly because the American public is so divided on these issues. Who wants to diminish their political popularity or lessen their chances for re-election. So those cans get kicked down the road. The president who ever tries to tackle those issues become right away unpopular. Bush said he was going to resolve the immigration issue. He didn't touch it the whole time he was there. Two terms. So did any of the Presidents before him . For the last 30 years. Now we have this President. He is black. (To the right He is black, half black to half white. I went by the rule that I was brought by that was taught by whites from long ago. the 1/8 blood rule. Actual that was on the law books. That's how those in power saw us. why should that change now?)He inherited 2 unpaid for wars. (That already were a drain on the economy.) and a failing economy, and a nation full of unhappy people. What would you do if you were elected president? You're not going to please everybody. I am not for this president, but he has a job to do and he can only do it to the best of his ability or as congress and the senate approve. ( I t's not always the President's fault. Congress and the Senate play a big roll on what is passed as law or not.) We want to be seen by other countries as the greatest nation ever, but we probably look like a bunch of whining babies.
  • Swampdo... BlackSouth 2012/04/18 14:34:25
    Swampdog PWCM
    I agree, the president has to be the president for ALL Americans, and as far as resolving problems, if Obama would call the House and Senate together, lock them in a room and tell them, "No one goes home until Social Security, Medicare/aide, and the budget problems are solved." Also the people who make the laws, cannot be exempted from the laws as they are now. Revoke ALL future retirement payments to presidents, senators and representatives. they need to participate in the social security system. They are exempt now.We have a long way to go but we are worth saving.
  • BlackSouth Swampdo... 2012/04/18 15:00:14
    BlackSouth
    +1
    That would be a great Idea. The get a pension and GOVERNMENT HEALTHCARE. which they do not want to get rid of for themselves, but don't want us to have.
  • Swampdo... BlackSouth 2012/04/18 21:38:14
    Swampdog PWCM
    They ( congress, the Supreme Ct. and who ever is the president ) are not the American publics friends.
  • BlackSouth Swampdo... 2012/04/18 21:50:07
    BlackSouth
    +1
    They don't have to be our friends. They just supposed to do the job that we voted them in to do, and to follow the constitution while doing it.
  • Swampdo... BlackSouth 2012/04/18 23:33:27
    Swampdog PWCM
    Yep, however I don't know of anyone who voted to raise the national debt. No one I know voted to spend all the social security on something else so that social security is broke. I don't know of any one who voted to spend all the medicare/aide money so that they are broke also. The point is that these politicians just go hog wild with spending when they get elected. It's as if they are addicted to spending. I'm for calling in the detox squad. Bunch of stinkin' skunks.
  • BlackSouth Swampdo... 2012/04/19 01:55:26
    BlackSouth
    +1
    Let's not get into that I don't know of anybody who voted to raise the depth crap. At the beginning of the Bush presidency, the United States debt limit was $5.95 trillion. Despite promises that he would pay off the debt in 10 years, Bush increased the debt to $9.815 trillion by the end of his term, with plenty of help from the four Republicans currently holding Congressional leadership positions: Speaker John Boehner, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, and Senate Minority Whip Jon Kyl. I as a conservative didn't even like that. Those same clowns that voted for the hikes are the same clowns that were against it during Obama's terms which I personally thought were hypocritical since they never said a word about "spending cuts" when they were hiking it. I have seen from many sources government contractors, American as well as foreign companies were carrying money off by the truck loads in Iraq and Afghanistan.
  • Swampdo... BlackSouth 2012/04/22 18:13:06
    Swampdog PWCM
    I agree, we need to take our country back, these elected pukes forget where they came from and ignore their campaign promises. I was saying that I didn't know of any VOTER that agreed to go along whth the House and Senate in raising the debt limit. By the way, thank you for your service, you are a credit to America. I was a volunteer in Viet Nam, not a very popular war. Won't tell ya what the draftees referred to us as.
  • BlackSouth Swampdo... 2012/04/22 18:28:00
    BlackSouth
    +1
    doesn't matter what they called you. I call you a hero. My Dad was a Vietnam vet. We don't ask questions us Patriots we just answer the call.
  • Swampdo... BlackSouth 2012/04/22 19:01:51
    Swampdog PWCM
    Dern tootin' we answer the call and pay the price, sadly we are too soon forgotten. My father was in Korea and Viet Nam, he retired from the USA, I was a Marine for 2 and a half years, I pray you can retire my younger brother.
  • BlackSouth Swampdo... 2012/04/23 03:05:51
    BlackSouth
    +1
    I am out, but the fight is not over nor has the fight left me. I still believe in "We the people." In all the people instead of pointing the finger we should b e educating each other. If racism is supposed to be dead. The do what you must to keep that serpent from twisting. If poverty in America is a problem we should address it. If welfare is a problem we should address it. Any problem we have as a nation, as a Christian nation we should address the problem the way Jesus wants us to. First we have to forgive each other of the wrongs that we caused each other. Second pass judgement on no man for who he is and what he does unless it hurts someone else physically.
  • Swampdo... BlackSouth 2012/04/23 16:30:49
    Swampdog PWCM
    I wish more people thought as you do. Racism dies when I end it in myself, it cannot be legislated out of existence. Poverty will end when the government stops subsidizing it. There was a pastor on the radio who was preaching that the new "F" word was" Forgiveness". In fact he was encouraging his congregation to say to each other, "I F you.". Although it took a while to get used to, he made his point.
  • BARRY0619 2012/04/15 21:06:27
    Kill it
    BARRY0619
    +2
    This large list of polling companies shows that the majority wants it repealed:

http://www.realclearpolitics....
  • sbtbill BARRY0619 2012/04/16 07:16:10
    sbtbill
    True but most are misinformed.
  • BARRY0619 sbtbill 2012/04/16 13:51:27
    BARRY0619
    Incorrect, they are not taking "president" O'Dumbo's word for it since he has a bad habit of lying. Many research it themselves. Here's a "neat" video listing the key points to this garbage:

Don't be so naive and use your head.

2014/07/23 03:16:49