Should Colleges Ban Smoking on Campus Grounds?

ABC News U.S. 2012/04/28 10:31:01
Related Topics: College, smoking, Campus

• 001 2012/04/28 12:43:43
    No, because people who smoke should have the freedom to do so.
    001
    +5
    Our school has 'smoking zones' with ashtray bins outside. If you don't want to stand in the smoke, don't go to those zones.

• Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/04/28 15:11:46 (edited)
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    I would have probably punched a baby had my school done this. The campus of Arizona State is extremely vast, OUTSIDE AND OPEN.... if you don't like my smoke, then by all means, walk away.
  • **Bessie** 2012/04/28 15:10:46
    **Bessie**
    Oh please! No!!!
  • Picasso's Cat 2012/04/28 15:10:30
    Picasso's Cat
    Who would teach the classes ?
    Because alot of professors smoke.
  • chgo 2012/04/28 15:07:54
    chgo
    Colleges offer smoke areas for smokers. And if republicans had they're way, thee would anymore education funding. So, you attending college would be yesterday's news.
  • RoseyRhod 2012/04/28 14:57:21
    RoseyRhod
    +1
    Creating outdoor smoking areas away from the buildings is compromise enough. Everyone knows that smoking is unhealthy. However, there is no need to turn people who do it into complete pariahs. I don't want to breathe smoke, but I don't have a problem with people having a separate smoking area.
  • No, because people who smoke should have the freedom to do so.
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +2
    It is an infringement on people rights. No place should have the right to infringe on people rights at-least if it is mandated by the government. If i own a business i do not want anyone telling me i have to have a smoke free environment. That should be my decision. These smoke bans are part of a government crack down against smokers. Government does not own anything, tax payers do and we the tax payers should decide what is right for the American people not a select few. Now should their be restrictions, Yes i do believe there should be, People who do not smoke have the right to breathe smoke free air if they desire. All places of business should have designated areas for smokers whether indoors or out. If you have indoor smoking areas, it should have a way to remove the smoke so other do not have to breathe it. If a business does not want to pay for the cost of having designated areas, then so be it, Then we have the choice if i want to go to that place or not. We had this once upon a time and it worked just fine.
  • TheNightFly 2012/04/28 14:45:20 (edited)
    Yes, because it’s harmful to the health of students, staff and visitors.
    TheNightFly
    +3
    We only have the freedom to expose ourselves to harmful substances, not the people around us. Smoking itself, regardless of what it is you smoke, should be banned everywhere- applying only to substances that contain mind-altering chemicals, not to stuff like car exhaust, firewood, charcoal, and most industrial emissions.
  • User De... TheNigh... 2012/04/28 14:48:47
    User Deactivated
    +1
    then so should driving a car.
  • TheNigh... User De... 2012/04/28 15:03:41 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    +2
    Carbon monoxide is not nearly as mind-altering as the chemicals in smokeable products.

That said, it's not unreasonable to require all new cars to be all-electric within ten years or so. We can use fuel for generating electric power instead. Eliminating the massive distribution system would save a lot of fuel from routine spillage and evaporation as well as the fuel consumed by the fuel trucks. The air in places like L.A. and streets everywhere would be much cleaner and health care costs would drop like a rock.
  • User De... TheNigh... 2012/04/28 15:08:41
    User Deactivated
    +1
    I see you had to edit your reply to accommodate your hypocritical view. Damage is done to the environment and other people's health in all those situations. Get over yourself if you think you're better for partaking in one and not the other.
  • TheNigh... User De... 2012/04/28 15:22:29 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    +1
    I'm not defending any form of pollution. My only point is to eliminate one particularly unnecessary and annoying form of pollution, not to eliminate all forms of pollution.
  • Navin J... TheNigh... 2012/08/25 19:56:37
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    what do you mean "mind altering?" smoking make syou insane or something?
  • TheNigh... Navin J... 2012/12/15 07:09:56
    TheNightFly
    Nicotine makes you mellow. Clinical studies prove it creates a kind of "tunnel vission" where it helps you focus on one thing by lowering your awareness of your surroundings. Carbon monoxide can give you similar feeling while you're being asphyxiated by it but not as intense.
  • RoseyRhod TheNigh... 2012/04/28 14:59:02
    RoseyRhod
    +2
    Frankly, I imagine cigarette smoke is far less harmful than industrial emissons.
  • User De... RoseyRhod 2012/04/28 15:06:25
    User Deactivated
    +1
    Mhm The few cigarettes I smoke in a day is much less detrimental to the environment and other's health than any amount of exhaust put out by gasoline/diesel driven cars. But most people won't acknowledge that because they just want to be holier than thou towards those who smoke.
  • TheNigh... User De... 2012/04/28 15:39:16
    TheNightFly
    +1
    And people like you refuse to admit that you're only making things worse.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-2...
  • User De... TheNigh... 2012/04/28 15:53:32
    User Deactivated
    When you stop contributing to all the aforementioned things then come talk to me. Till then, you're simply being a hypocrite getting on anyone's as* for smoking when you contribute more to detrimental things than most of them ever will in their lifetime.
  • Navin J... TheNigh... 2012/08/25 19:56:04
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    whats the problem as long as your not smoking near non-smokers? and car exhaust is far worse then cigarette smoke
  • TheNigh... Navin J... 2012/12/15 07:14:50
    TheNightFly
    Besides being a fire hazard...
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.c...
  • Savior 2012/04/28 14:37:09 (edited)
    Savior
    +1
    It really is the colleges choice, If they do, all it means is they will get less applicants who are smokers
  • the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/28 14:34:38
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Nope but smokers shoudl respect others who don't. But on the other hand non smokers should show respect too. Went to a football stadium that wasn't full. When 2 fiends started to light up. a over weight loudmouth,stared acting like an ass,when they lit up.

Later one of my friends left for work,she started to applauded when he walked by,so he blew smoke in her direction. Then I asked for a smoke,to annoy her. And flipped her off the smoke.

During the third period,she announced that she was leaving,& when she got up,
    we applauded her when she walked away.She was fumming. I yelled .You started it.
  • Gยเtคг ... the jud... 2012/04/28 14:55:36
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +1
    I have a story similar to that.
    Back when we had designated smoking areas in Resturants.
    Me and my brother after eating lunch lit up while sitting in a smoking designated area, Some loudmouth with her kids sat like 2 tables away from us and started complaining and demanding that we put out the cigarettes. I looked over at her with a smile and said, if you do not like it, go sit in the non-smoking area. Damn was she pissed. But you know, she had no right sitting her dumbass down in a designated smoking area and then start complaining.
  • RoseyRhod Gยเtคг ... 2012/04/28 15:02:14
    RoseyRhod
    +2
    This is true. If you don't want to breathe smoke, don't sit in the smoking area and then complain about it.
  • Navin J... Gยเtคг ... 2012/08/25 19:02:48
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    +1
    thats right!
  • RoseyRhod the jud... 2012/04/28 15:01:33
    RoseyRhod
    +1
    What does the loudmouth's size have to do with it? Loudmouths come in all sizes.
    Your friends were rude for smoking in the stadium. I'm not sure what country you are in, but in the United States it is against the rules to smoke in places such as stadiums.
    You don't know if this person may have had asthma or simply a sensitivity to smoke. You were the ones being insensitive, not she.
  • the jud... RoseyRhod 2012/04/28 15:19:04
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    This was in 1985 before all the new smoking laws. And this was a loundmoth who was pushing her weight around. Besides she was running her mouth during the whole game not watching. and when someone told her to be quiet.she was even more loud. The ushers got her to pipe down. Lot of lungs there 50 feet away.
  • Gยเtคг ... RoseyRhod 2012/04/28 15:28:01
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +1
    Stadiums should have designated area for smokers. Smokers should have the right to smoke if they desire, but they should not be allowed to infringe on anyone Else's rights.
    I personally have not had a smoke in over 6 years and i think everyone should quit simply because the cost and it is unhealthy. I actually enjoyed smoking and quit because it became a choice of me smoking or putting gas in my truck. At that time they were like $2.30 a pack. I think now they are over $5. How can anyone afford to smoke? My wife still smoke, but that's her choice, we made a rule back years ago when we both smoked that we would not smoke in the house because it was not right to force our children to breathe it. That and i got tired of repainting every year. :)
  • S and S 2012/04/28 14:27:18
  • FencerCat 2012/04/28 14:24:44
    FencerCat
    +1
    Oh wouldn't that be nice! Of course, the smokers would probably bash me to pieces for stepping all over their rights (because my rights don't count as much as theirs... might I remind them that they VOLUNTARILY took up this habit)
  • User De... FencerCat 2012/04/28 14:49:46
    User Deactivated
    +4
    As a smoker, I do not smoke around anyone who doesn't smoke. It is your choice to stay away from it just as much as it is a smokers right to choose to smoke.
  • FencerCat User De... 2012/04/28 14:58:40 (edited)
    FencerCat
    +1
    Sometimes it's impossible to stay away from it. I appreciate your consideration. Actually, I don't have a problem with people smoking in their own dorm rooms as long as they don't smoke in the hallways. But when I'm entering or leaving a mall or a restaurant that doesn't allow smoking, it's nearly impossible to find a door that doesn't have smokers congregated around it. No one enforces the "stay 25 feet away from the door" rule that's posted at these exits, so it's impossible to get in or out without going through the smoke. As a person with asthma, I wish these establishments (or the smokers themselves) would respect these rules and enforce them. (Love your screen name, btw)
  • User De... FencerCat 2012/04/28 15:01:41
    User Deactivated
    +1
    Well just keep in mind, those people are as*holes. Not all smokers are as such. Many of us realize that it is our choice to expose ourselves to such things but as well as it is our responsibility not to expose those who wish not to be exposed. Don't think us all bad for the few idiots you have to deal with XD
  • FencerCat User De... 2012/04/28 15:03:58
    FencerCat
    +1
    I don't think smokers are bad... my last sentence in my initial comment was directed at the a*holes. I do appreciate when people are considerate about their smoking.
  • User De... FencerCat 2012/04/28 15:23:57 (edited)
    User Deactivated
    +1
    Oh and thanks for the compliment XD It's been my yahoo name for years. Someone stole it on xbox live though >.< Grr I had to alter it a bit using numbers instead of Os lol
  • FencerCat User De... 2012/04/28 18:24:26
    FencerCat
    +1
    Don't you just hate when that happens?
  • Firefly 2012/04/28 14:16:07 (edited)
    Firefly
    +2
    When in was in high school, grades 10,11, and 12,

we had a 'smoke shack', which was created by the school...

Pretty much was just that... an open sided, roof covered 'shack'

at the end of a paved area where painted yellow lines defined its boundry...

Ya wanna smoke ? Here ya go... Step outside the lines ? Expelled for three days ;p

It worked out well for everybody, and respected the rights of those who chose to smoke ~
  • Navin J... Firefly 2012/08/25 19:04:39
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    +1
    when i went to school,we all smoked across the street,that's before i started to inhale
  • Firefly Navin J... 2012/08/25 19:34:00
    Firefly
    Across the street was popular too,

before school started in the a.m.

We had closed campus, so,

we couldn't leave, once

shool started, hence

the smoke shack ~
  • Christopher Bookkeeping 2012/04/28 14:10:01
    Christopher Bookkeeping
    +2
    Absolutely amazing how people have been brainwashed by the anti smoking lobby. When I was in college smoke was allowed pretty muich everywhere except perhaps the classroom, and guess what? Not a single fatality! Perhaps Fast food, automobile exhaust and alcohol should be banned as well? Anyone who answered yes to this question should ask themselvels if they are thniking for themselves after all THAT is what college is for!

2014/11/01 09:12:33