Should Christians, view pornography, have cyber sex, have premartial sex, talk dirty to other people online or be in groups that contain sexually explict materials and conversation?

Poetic Warrior 2009/09/09 21:48:45
No let us be pure and holy as the Lord is pure and holy!
Yes it is okay to do what satisfies my flesh.
This question is not meant to condemn anybody, so let me clarify that right up front. But I was kind of disturbed today when I received an invitation to a sexually explict group. I joined it because I wanted to see who exactly were members. I was kind of taken aback by the number of people who have Christian marked as their religious affiliation. Some people that I respected, some that I knew by their profile page that they did not mind posting partially clad men or women on their profile pages.

I know that people struggle with certain things, I have struggled with pornography for many, many years. Just recently I have been able to put it down, although from time to time I have been tempted and have yielded. However those times are few and very far between. It has been almost a year that I have not had porn in front of my eyes and only fell a couple of times. Which is pretty good if you knew my past.

Jesus said that whoever looks upon a woman with lust in his heart has committed adultery with her already. Meaning thinking about the things you would like to do to people of the opposite, or same sex, is wrong and that you may as well been physical with that person.

Romans 13:12-14 (Amplified Bible)
12The night is far gone and the day is almost here. Let us then drop (fling away) the works and deeds of darkness and put on the [full] armor of light.

13Let us live and conduct ourselves honorably and becomingly as in the [open light of] day, not in reveling (carousing) and drunkenness, not in immorality and debauchery (sensuality and licentiousness), not in quarreling and jealousy.

14But clothe yourself with the Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah), and make no provision for [indulging] the flesh [put a stop to thinking about the evil cravings of your physical nature] to [gratify its] desires (lusts).

1 Corinthians 5:11 (Amplified Bible)
But now I write to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of [Christian] brother if he is known to be guilty of immorality or greed, or is an idolater [whose soul is devoted to any object that usurps the place of God], or is a person with a foul tongue [railing, abusing, reviling, slandering], or is a drunkard or a swindler or a robber. [No] you must not so much as eat with such a person.

1 Corinthians 6:18 (Amplified Bible)
Shun immorality and all sexual looseness [flee from impurity in thought, word, or deed]. Any other sin which a man commits is one outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.

Colossians 3:5 (Amplified Bible)
So kill (deaden, [a]deprive of power) the evil desire lurking in your members [those animal impulses and all that is earthly in you that is employed in sin]: sexual vice, impurity, sensual appetites, unholy desires, and all greed and covetousness, for that is idolatry (the deifying of self and other created things instead of God).

• Caitlin ~American Patriot~ 2009/09/10 02:48:07
    Caitlin ~American Patriot~
    +8
    I do not believe that Christians should be doing this.
    To be Christian is to be "Christ-like." I do not think that
    Christ would do this, so Christians shouldn't either.
    Also Christians are to be different from the world.
    How are we different if we do what the world does as well?

• SCOOP--RIP, MY DEAR MAX 2009/12/20 16:45:07
    SCOOP--RIP, MY DEAR MAX
    Absolutely not. The object of a Christian is to be Christlike. We must ask ourselves WWJD in certain situations. A true Christian will know the answer without even giving it a second thought---they will do nothing that would not be pleasing to Jesus Christ.
  • Null and Void 2009/11/18 17:43:30
    Null and Void
    What do you call a carnivorous vegetarian? How about a libertarian socialist? Those things you listed are incompatible with the Christian faith. People might stumble, but if the individuals life is colored by these things, especially without remorse, there is a serious problem.
  • Worship Basic 101 2009/11/11 02:55:28
    Worship Basic 101
    NOT EVERY ONE that says to Jesus, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that DOES THE WILL of MY Father which is in heaven (Matthew 7:21). (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the DOERS of the law shall be justified. [Romans 2:13])
    Blessed are they that keep judgement, and he that does righteousness at all times (Psalm106:3). If you know these things, happy are you if you do them (John 13:17).
  • wombat 2009/11/09 14:02:53 (edited)
    wombat
    +1
    Off course!!! Christians should be bare of anything like that.
  • ©TransAmTam~Metal Queen \m/ 2009/11/08 17:30:41
  • Cass 2009/11/08 17:00:23
    Cass
    ... I think flirting is o.k.- but it should end there.
  • Herb 2009/11/08 15:55:41
    Herb
    +1
    flirtings ok, but when you talk and text something sexual, so you think you should be doing the act. you can say a woman beautiful what when you say man wish i was doing her thats the sin.
  • Philo-Publius 2009/11/08 15:26:46
    Philo-Publius
    +1
    Interesting question, Poetic! As you may know, I don't specifically call myself a Christian, but I DO believe in the transforming Power of what people call the Christ. I fall on the side of the verses which say, for instance:

"Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." (2 Cor. 3:17)

"Unto the pure all things are pure..." (Titus 1:15)

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus..." (Romans 8:1)

In other words, this is the HIGHEST teaching of Christianity, where we refuse to look upon the "bad", because then "the bad" then rules our consciousness rather than Christ. This is why Christ loves sinners rather than condemns them. This is not "love the sinner, hate the sin" thinking, this is "love the sinner, love the sin" thinking. We love the sin because, "All things work together for good to them who love God."

This might SEEM a contradiction, but, like the trinity, it is something that cannot be reasoned, only experienced I would say.
  • SEAHORSE 2009/11/08 15:03:25
    SEAHORSE
    +1
    But im a hypocrite
  • Katherine the Renaissance W... 2009/11/08 15:02:46
    Katherine the Renaissance Woman
    Christian or not, people shouldn't be doing this.
    It's degrading to the body.
    It's degrading to the mind
    It's potentially dangerous talking to strangers.
    If people have nothing else to do but engage themselves in sexual interactions and ideas 24/7, then the world is totally out of line. People need to reevaluate the importance of sex and what it truly signifies.
  • Moderated 2009/11/08 15:00:40
    Moderated
    They do it anyway whether they should or shouldn't.
  • Caroline™ - a registered tr... 2009/11/08 14:57:26
    Caroline™ - a registered trademark of Sarcasm, Ltd.
    +6
    I think I can safely say that I haven't given into a single one of those things, thus far...and I most likely won't; particularly premarital sex. None bear any appeal to me, at present, and so it's not an issue.
    That said, I don't like to judge or condemn those who see no problem in doing any one of these things, nor preach to them what I think is 'right' (much like yourself, it would seem).
    It should be known, too, that I have a sense of humour when it comes to most things sexual. I've learned to laugh at it, but can take it seriously, need be. Some of my implications may often appear 'risqué', so to speak...but there is a line which I will not cross.
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2009/11/02 16:04:54
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    I know exactly what you mean. You certainly can't have a righteous mind if you are looking at porn. You can't abstain on your own. Only God can keep you from harm. It's not only on the TV or computer, sometimes it's in public and at the beach. Even when fully clothed.

It makes it easier if married couples lived according to what Paul said in 1Cr chapter 7.

1Cr 7:3 Let 591 0 the husband 435 render 591 unto the wife 1135 due 3784 benevolence 2133: and 1161 likewise 3668 also 2532 the wife 1135 unto the husband 435.

1Cr 7:4 The wife 1135 hath 1850 0 not 3756 power 1850 of her own 2398 body 4983, but 235 the husband 435: and 1161 likewise 3668 also 2532 the husband 435 hath 1850 0 not 3756 power 1850 of his own 2398 body 4983, but 235 the wife 1135.

"..the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife."
    Couples need to take care of each other.
  • FATEEN 2009/10/02 22:15:05
    FATEEN
    +1
    I am a Muslim. This is impermissable to do such a thing.

The Prophet of Islam (peace be upon him) explained that if faith is strongm then the morals will be strong. But if the faith is weak, morals will also be weak.

The Messenger of Allah(pbuh) had this to say about a person whi is shameless and ill-mannered: "Modesty and faith are twins; he who lacks the former lacks the latter."

There is a system in our society in which the people are re-writing the moral ethics for society.

As far as the people stating that Christianity is their religion. Bear in mind that many Americans identify with Christianity because you are basically pre-disposed to Christianity just by living in this society.
  • Bob_N,- Saved and bold for ... 2009/10/02 03:02:57
    Bob_N,- Saved and bold for Christ.
    +1
    Christians are to be holy, even as He is holy. "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." (1 Cor. 6:9-10). And, "Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." (1 Cor. 6:18-20).
  • Iszie 2009/10/02 02:26:56
    Iszie
    shalom! no! read your Torah!
  • Gary 2009/10/02 02:15:41
    Gary
    +1
    Absolutely not, but remember the flesh is weak, I am not makeing excuses. (Col. 3:5-7) reminds us that we once walked in these things ourselves. And often they come back to haunt us.

The real question should be, does the christians struggle to be set free from these things. We should never deliberately and habitually linger in them.
  • faith222 2009/09/13 15:15:20
    faith222
    +3
    As Christians we are Ambassadors of Christ. I realize some Christians may struggle with this.What would be the point if we were not set apart from the world .It doesnt make us better just redeemed.
  • Gary faith222 2009/10/02 02:16:48
    Gary
    +1
    Amen....
  • Daggett 2009/09/11 09:32:09
    Daggett
    The idea of marriage was more of a birth control method used to control number of children and to keep tabs on who the father was to insure the child was to be taken care. Now that we have the pill, condoms, and DNA testing. I say go for it.
  • Orangedragan 2009/09/11 07:19:08
    Orangedragan
    the vast majority of Xians dont really care about premarital sex anymore. i know someone who is, w/o a doubt, one of the most devout Xians ever. but shes not a virgin. the whole idea of no premarital sex, like so much else in Xianity, just has no meaning anymore; whats the point?
  • Poetic ... Oranged... 2009/09/11 08:03:16
    Poetic Warrior
    +3
    The point is that God calls us to be pure and holy. Other Christians are not our example of what we are to do in this life. Christians are just humans and make mistakes, the standard of the way we are to live is Christ. We are to follow his example, with the help of the Holy Spirit we can overcome lust, anger, hatred and other things that keep us in the miry pit of sin.
  • Oranged... Poetic ... 2009/09/11 08:36:31
    Orangedragan
    thats what your god tells you to do.
    my god says that as long as it doesnt affect anyone else, GO FOR IT!!!
  • Poetic ... Oranged... 2009/09/11 08:40:57
    Poetic Warrior
    +3
    Who would your God be? Just curious, would it be the god of self or Nike with the motto just do it.
  • Gary Poetic ... 2009/10/02 02:17:38
    Gary
    +1
    Amen ...well spoken!!!!!
  • xXAlly☠ShadowXx 2009/09/11 05:58:30
    xXAlly☠ShadowXx
    +1
    I will admit its not the best thing, and no they shouldn't do such things but I mean, it depends on the person, you can say your Christian but, you don't know much about God's teachings, I know that a lot of teens who claim their christian have pre-marital sex, but its the world we live in today that pushes them to do things like that, its all the media and such, i know people in my school (i go to a very small, strict Christian school, that very heavily enforces the name and the teachings of the Lord) that lie and say that they've had pre-marital sex just to look cool, but people make mistakes, and God gives second chances.
    teachings lord lie pre-marital sex cool people mistakes god chances teachings lord lie pre-marital sex cool people mistakes god chances teachings lord lie pre-marital sex cool people mistakes god chances
  • Poetic ... xXAlly☠... 2009/09/11 08:04:17
    Poetic Warrior
    +4
    Amen Ally people make mistakes and use bad judgment to look cool as you say. But we must look to Jesus in all things to help us overcome sin.
  • Poetic ... xXAlly☠... 2009/09/11 08:06:00
    Poetic Warrior
    +4
    Just keep yourself pure and follow after Christ and live the life that he wants you to little sister.
  • xXAlly☠... Poetic ... 2009/09/12 04:08:31
    xXAlly☠ShadowXx
    +2
    i plan on doing that =)
  • Poetic ... xXAlly☠... 2009/09/12 04:14:52
    Poetic Warrior
    +2
    Good for you!!
  • xXAlly☠... Poetic ... 2009/09/12 04:19:19
    xXAlly☠ShadowXx
    +1
    yup =)
  • Cognito22 2009/09/11 02:56:45
    Cognito22
    +2
    I don't know how relevant this is but I've listened to Glenn Beck off and on for about two years and know a little bit about him from what he's said on the radio.
    Not only is he a recovered alcoholic but has also shared his battle with viewing porn.
    He is a Christian and just today talked about fasting.
    I don't know too much more about him but I continue to tune in to his show every once in a while because I believe he has something meaningful to say.

Not sure why I posted other than to say other people have fought the battle and won.
  • Cowboyreg {IN GOD WE TRUST} 2009/09/11 02:36:13
    Cowboyreg {IN GOD WE TRUST}
    +6
    I was messed up in porn and talking sex to girls in chatrooms. I was a mess! I was not getting the attention from my wife like I needed so I turned to loose woman! I came home one day to an empty house not knowing my wife had found me out. Long story short, after four months of not knowing if I would get my wife back, I turned my life over to God and she returned! Even while she was gone during that four months I caught myself looking at porn only once. That one time, with the naked girl on my computer screen, It hit me! I said to myself, "what are you doing looking at this trash when you expect God to help you put your marriage back together"! I then promptly asked for God's forgiveness! I promised God that I would NEVER look at porn again. I asked for grace to overcome the temptation and God gave it to me! To this day I have never looked at porn again. Even in my weakest moments, God has given me the grace to overcome the devil and I could not be more thankful!!

I feel if a man is not getting the attention that he needs from his wife, he is not doing his duty as a husband, and putting his wife first. Since I have learned to put my wife first in everything, our sex life is better than I could have ever imagined! All I can say is GOD is so GOOD!! I could not have done it on my own!!
  • Poetic ... Cowboyr... 2009/09/11 03:02:55
    Poetic Warrior
    +3
    Amen my friend!!
  • Gary Cowboyr... 2009/10/02 02:20:47
    Gary
    +2
    Thanks for sharing that brother. Out of curosity how long were you envolved in porn.
  • Cowboyr... Gary 2009/10/02 17:14:23
    Cowboyreg {IN GOD WE TRUST}
    I was introduced to porn at the young age of 15. I struggled with it until I was 32 and had been married for 10 years. I was not severely addicted to it but when I did not get what I needed from my wife, I would turn to it. I always hated it though because I knew it was not right and I always wanted a girl that would love me. I did not want a girl that was in it for the money or a girl that would throw herself at anyone. As attracted as I was to it, it always gave me a dirty feeling and I would not feel good about it. With God's help only, I overcame it, and for that I could not feel more thankful!
  • ©TransA... Cowboyr... 2009/11/08 17:29:36
  • den 2009/09/11 00:31:05
    den
    +3
    Jesus said "be ye holy for I am holy" The Bible says that people who do the things mentioned are not of God..
  • Poetic ... den 2009/09/11 00:32:17
    Poetic Warrior
    +4
    Amen Den and thanks for responding.
  • Nick 2009/09/10 23:34:36 (edited)
    Nick
    +3
    It's really plain and simple.
    As Christians, we always should ask:
    What would Jesus Do?
    Then, we should follow that answer.

2014/10/22 21:53:28