Should Children of Illegal Immigrants Be Granted In-State Tuition Privileges?

Courts in California aren’t willing to wait to see if Senate Majority leader Harry Reid will get anywhere in the lame-duck Congressional session with pushing through the DREAM Act. The bill would give young illegal immigrants a path to citizenship if they complete two years of college or two years in the military as long as they came to the U.S. before the age of 16 and have been here longer than five years.

In the meantime, NPR reported that the California Supreme Court ruled unanimously this week that illegal immigrant students can continue to pay in-state tuition rates at public colleges and universities, a decision that keeps college affordable for students who don’t have legal status in the U.S.

It’s a triumph for students whose parents entered the country illegally, but who have come up through the U.S. school system and have faced financial hurdles in their bid to enter academia.

The ruling came after 42 out-of-state students sued the University of California because they were charged higher tuition. They challenged an eight-year old law that allows anyone who has attended high school in California for at least three years and graduates to obtain in-state tuition. In-state tuition at the University of California is currently $10,302, while out-of-state students pay $33,181.

It may not be the end of the story, though, as the plaintiffs’ attorney said the California law is in conflict with a federal statute that says illegal immigrants may not receive benefits based on residency, or benefits that are not available to all citizens, setting up a potential Supreme Court case.

Just as the ruling was being handed down, The Associated Press reported that the popular student body president at California State University, Fresno revealed this week that he is an illegal immigrant.

Pedro Ramirez, 22, who had expressed concerns to school administrators about going public with his status after winning the top student government seat, was forced to come out on Tuesday after the university’s Collegian newspaper disclosed his status after receiving an anonymous e-mail.

Following the disclosure, Ramirez made plans to attend a rally on Friday in support of the DREAM Act.

• leftright 2010/11/18 21:53:36
    leftright
    +9
    Christ Almighty! Why are we even having this conversation. They are "illegal." Did Webster change the meaning in the dictionary a few days ago and I didn't find out. Quite simple, you are illegal, you get caught, you get deported back to your country. Before people think I can't stand immigrants, my girlfriend is from Chile. She is here on a Visa and has to get her DL's renewed every year, her passport stamped and Visa recertified every year and she is a published scientist and cancer researcher. She wants to stay in America but she spends several hundred dollars every year to be legal and if she had a child they could not even attend college without jumping through several hoops. If you make the illegals legal, then you have tens of thousand of legals who should have the same priviledges also. DC is so FOS.

• DouglasSignorovitch 2010/11/19 12:45:34
    DouglasSignorovitch
    +2
    Let me first say the woman in that vido has got her head so far up her a-s see can see her lungs.
    Are these people out of there minds. We are talking about illegal immigrants. Our own kids are getting short changed becouse of it. These a-s backward liberal policies are ruining this country. Hey why don't we them, health care, and welfare too. Oh wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MW121 2010/11/19 11:11:14
    MW121
    +1
    This is ridiculous.. More reasons why CA is just about bankrupt.. This is a joke...
  • RandySc... MW121 2010/11/19 12:56:22
    RandyScott (Party of One)
    +2
    Unfortunately it's not a joke. It is insane but the idiots that are proposing this are serious. Personally I think they are doing it to buy votes, and could care less what the real impact would be, as long as it gets them reelected.
  • systemwiz 2010/11/19 09:26:09
  • BSRancher 2010/11/19 09:08:31
    BSRancher
    +2
    OOPS I ANSWERED THIS QUESTION WRONG.. I MEANT TO ANSWER "NO"!!! Having said that, the Amendment that states those born on United Stats Soil are automatically citizens, should be changed so that the person that is here from another country and has a child in the United States that child is a Citizen of the country of which His/Her Parents are from!! That might stop those risky border crossings form woman that are almost nine months pregnant, who are looking to put a silver spoon in their childs mouth, by getting them duel citizenship of their home country and the United States of America!! It is terrible that the Illegal Immigrant takes advantage of the United States like that, risking their health, the health of the baby, by makign such a risky crossing at such a delicate time!!
  • LOU BSRancher 2010/11/19 09:59:51 (edited)
    LOU
    +3
    READ THIS

There will be fewer then one percent that will fight for this country. You ask any of them how many would fight for this country and they will tell you. That in their country they do not believe in war. That is a fact! 99% will not go to war for this country! The ones that are trying to become US citizens are good people and they would die twice for this country. The ones that are here and doing nothing should be kicked out ASAP!!!!

I am going to educate you people and I am going to give it to you straight. The majority of these people do not like us. They think we are stupid and they make fun of us. They are all sweet and nice and work hard but they do not like us. They take our money and they save it and they are motivated to put us out of business. There are alot of sorry contractors who are losing their butts right now because they hired illegals a couple of years ago and now they are under bidding them and taking their jobs.

These people think no more of selling drugs to our kids then they would a pair of Levis. WAKE UP! If you could see how much dope these people have imported into this country. You would be at your front door with a gun.

I am not a racist. I am part bean myself and I was a Cop once. We are nothing more then fair game to them. An illega...

READ THIS

I am not a racist. I am part bean myself and I was a Cop once. We are nothing more then fair game to them. An illegal is illegal and should be deported. Do not hire them and do not do business with people who do hire them.

There are thousand of people in this country who have lost loved ones because of illegal alians.

I am one of them!!!

WAKE UP! IT COULD BE YOUR CHILD NEXT!!!!

Here are a few of thousands killed by illegal aliens.

killed by illegal alienscountry lost loved illegal alians wake child killed illegal aliens killed by illegal alienscountry lost loved illegal alians wake child killed illegal aliens killed by illegal alienscountry lost loved illegal alians wake child killed illegal aliens killed by illegal alienscountry lost loved illegal alians wake child killed illegal aliens country lost loved illegal alians wake child killed illegal aliens killed by illegal alienscountry lost loved illegal alians wake child killed illegal aliens killed by illegal alienscountry lost loved illegal alians wake child killed illegal aliens killed by illegal alienscountry lost loved illegal alians wake child killed illegal aliens

This photo will give you an idea of who they are!

killed by illegal alienslost loved illegal alians wake child killed illegal aliens photo
  • Tucker LOU 2010/11/19 13:41:31
    Tucker
    100% agree. Let's see, Rome's fall from within?
  • Ray G 2010/11/19 08:13:24
    Ray G
    If some reap the rewards of stoled money, why shouldn't all?

But the problem is the state being involved in education in the first place. In state tuition means it is just subsidized by everyone else in the state. If they are going to tax and spend, they should do it equally.

I would like to see public schools done away with. Then we will not have that problem. If everyone pays private tuition, they will know the real cost of school and take it seriously.
  • sheratan 2010/11/19 07:37:58 (edited)
    sheratan
    +1
    "Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!
    Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

-Emma Lazarus

Seems that many Americans have long forgotten that their ancestors were immigrants too.
  • LOU sheratan 2010/11/19 09:49:20 (edited)
    LOU
    +1
    HEY!!!!

YOUR THE GUY WHO WROTE THE LETTER OF SUPPORT FOR GUY WHO WROTE THE CHILD LOVE BOOK!

CHILD SEX IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR!

A CHILD IS NOT AN OBJECT OF SEXUAL GRATIFICATION YOU DUMB ASS!

THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOU SUPPORTING THAT FREAK?

EVERYONE TELL THIS GUY HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT CHILD SEX!

FREAK!

If you don't support this guy then why did you block me!?!
  • sheratan LOU 2010/11/19 10:24:39 (edited)
    sheratan
    I never said I supported the guy. I said I understand why people are upset about the book. What is wrong with this statement?

EDIT

Because, you keep on harassing me on every topic I do respond. I never said child sex is an acceptable behaviour nor that I support the guy. I said that though the book has been removed, "child sexuality" is a well documented topic in psychiatry as Freud demonstrated in his book "Three Essays on the Theory of Sexuality"

I'm really sorry if you can't accept this fact
  • sheratan sheratan 2010/11/19 10:54:37
    sheratan
    Not going to happen, I don't even live in the US and I did nothing wrong.
  • RandySc... sheratan 2010/11/19 13:11:37
    RandyScott (Party of One)
    We have not forgotten, we just choose not to pervert those sentiments by encouraging ILLEGAL activity. Come here legally and there is no problem. Come here Illegally and there is a big problem.
  • Path60 sheratan 2010/11/19 13:41:14
    Path60
    Yes you are absolutely right, my mother was an immigrant and came to this country LEGALLY !!!!! What the hell part of this is so hard for you liberals to understand.
  • sheratan Path60 2010/11/19 13:43:11
    sheratan
    Should the children pay for the crime of the parents?
  • JP sheratan 2010/11/19 13:48:26
    JP
    +3
    Should the children of those committing no crime pay for the crimes of someone else's parents?
  • Tucker JP 2010/11/19 14:00:32
    Tucker
    Well said.
  • Pegasis sheratan 2010/11/19 14:03:42
    Pegasis
    +2
    They or their parents should pay full tuition. Why would anyone have a problem with that? Why should taxpayers pay it for them, when it means deserving American children lose their chance at college?
  • Path60 sheratan 2010/11/19 14:09:26
    Path60
    +1
    It sounds harsh but yes.....when does it become the responsibility of the parents to obey the law. This country continues to slide into this social justice morass and it has to stop. If these kids were brought here illegally and obviously have stayed here illegally with their parents knowing it then yes they should take the punishment that goes with it. If not they will continue to come here illegally
  • sheratan Path60 2010/11/19 14:12:09
    sheratan
    What if they WERE born in the US?
  • Path60 sheratan 2010/11/19 14:20:56
    Path60
    +1
    Illegal parent knowingly coming into this country illegally in order to have a baby here, sorry but the law needs to be changed only then will illegals stop breaking our laws. Similar to our legal system in this country who continually gives more rights to criminals than to the victims
  • ★Calliope★ sheratan 2010/11/20 03:08:24
    ★Calliope★
    Gee, I was born in the US and I didn't get any tuition breaks.
  • Tucker sheratan 2010/11/19 13:49:49
    Tucker
    +1
    They came, learned our way of life, learned to speak and do business in english, they became legal. Were not offended because some belived in Christmass and they did not. They sought out a new life to fit into, and became productive members of a socity they chose.
  • Robin Tucker 2010/11/19 18:48:37
    Robin
    +4
    Which is exactly what the new generation of immigrants seeks to do. Many of these children who grow up here speak both fluent English and Spanish (bilingualism is something I've been trying to master for years). They wish to give back to our society. Sadly, citizenship rules do not allow that. I say, give them a chance to flourish and give back. Not allowing them a way causes problems (this isn't amnesty - you have to work in the military or really, truly succeed in school for this to happen).

It is the American tradition. Let's not turn our back on great talent and ambition willing to give to our great nation. Immigrants make us competitive.
  • Tucker Robin 2010/11/19 20:51:32
    Tucker
    There is no turning of our backs. All that is being asked is the Parents become legal, pay their fair share (as the rest of us do for our children) so their children can flourish. Ileagle is still Illeagle.
  • rhino sheratan 2010/11/19 13:52:32
    rhino
    Legal immigrants, NEVER only here for the FREE STUFF! BIG DIFFERENCE from then till now!
  • Common Sense Conservative 2010/11/19 06:56:32
    Common Sense Conservative
    +2
    They should be shipped back to where their parents came from and hopefully the parents have already gone back.
  • upurs Common ... 2010/11/19 07:01:02
  • Common ... upurs 2010/11/19 07:10:11
    Common Sense Conservative
    +1
    Where did your ancestors come from? And how do you know? Show us proof!
  • USAF Vet 2010/11/19 06:38:46
    USAF Vet
    +2
    They shouldn't be granted any privileges above and beyond that of any American citizen, period! Can child of California attend the University of Colorado and pay the same tuition rate as a child from Colorado?
  • teigan 2010/11/19 06:28:38
    teigan
    +5
    They shouldn't even be allowed to attend without a student visa.
  • Kris Says Hi 2010/11/19 06:12:25 (edited)
    Kris Says Hi
    +4
    If you are not in the US legally, then you don't get any US help!
  • upurs Kris Sa... 2010/11/19 06:19:11
  • Kris Sa... upurs 2010/11/19 06:25:37
    Kris Says Hi
    +3
    Legal US Immigrant, the son of legal immigrants. I have native american friends they know as much as I do that too many generations has passed to give the land back to the natives and displace millions of people and while were at that why not send Canadians and Australians back to England? Or all people of Spanish descent to Spain? Or pull people from space since the "space people" were there first?

Face it, that argument has lost ground.
  • USAF Vet upurs 2010/11/19 06:29:11
    USAF Vet
    +3
    Oh brother, get off the worn out, tired-assed, "Native American" blah-zay hyperbole; it's 2010, not 1620.
  • LOU USAF Vet 2010/11/19 10:47:56 (edited)
    LOU
    +1
    Oh brother, get off the worn out, tired-assed "Pissed Off Old White Guy" blah-zy hyperbole; it's not Nazi Bush era.
  • ★Calliope★ LOU 2010/11/20 03:11:05
    ★Calliope★
    Whit guy?

What can you add but more progressive disdain.
  • LOU ★Calliope★ 2010/11/20 03:14:09
    LOU
    +1
    White guy, SORRY.
  • ★Calliope★ LOU 2010/11/20 03:21:44
    ★Calliope★
    Sorry indeed.

Nothing he said sounded pissed off. You are ascribing an emotion to someone without knowledge.
  • LOU ★Calliope★ 2010/11/20 03:34:06
    LOU
    +1
    I associate profanity with anger. Silly me.

2014/09/20 18:10:17