Should Child Circumcision Be Allowed?

Circumcision has been a religious tradition for many years, but has often been the subject of controversy because of the effect it could potentially have on children. On Tuesday, a German court ruled that child circumcision can be classified as "grievous bodily harm." The issue went to court when a 4-year-old boy began bleeding profusely as the result of a circumcision. Naturally, religious communities that practice circumcision are upset.

The court ruled, "[The] fundamental right of the child to bodily integrity outweighed the fundamental rights of the parents ... The religious freedom of the parents and their right to educate their child would not be unacceptably compromised, if they were obliged to wait until the child could himself decide to be circumcised."

In response, the head of the Central Committee of Jews said the ruling is "an unprecedented and dramatic intervention in the right of religious communities to self-determination ... [an] outrageous and insensitive act. Circumcision of newborn boys is a fixed part of the Jewish religion and has been practiced worldwide for centuries."

• xcheshirecat 2012/06/28 23:19:19
    xcheshirecat
    +41
    religious freedom is about the baby's religion. I don't see how he can have one at that age...

Baby have the right, like any other human, of body integrity

• Cognito22 Vieuphoria 2012/06/29 17:49:12
    Cognito22
    You're too kind.
    Better luck next time.
  • Vieuphoria Cognito22 2012/06/29 17:56:27
    Vieuphoria
    +1
    You too... You too.
  • Bassinman Vieuphoria 2012/07/13 03:43:07 (edited)
    Bassinman
    if it has been fertilized, it dang sure is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it was fertilized before you could see it like that, by the way. You need to do some research, a rooster can't fertilize an egg through a shell!!!!! The chick is inside, growing, just like a fetus does in a human, if the egg has been fertilized. Ever been to a farm, City boy?
  • Vieuphoria Bassinman 2012/07/13 08:32:48 (edited)
    Vieuphoria
    I've spent one year of my life living in urban London, and 19 years of my life living in rural Cornwall. I now live in Bristol which is as rural a city as you can get. I spent most of my life on farms etc.

Try again.
  • Bassinman Cognito22 2012/06/29 20:42:44
    Bassinman
    +1
    Cool statement. I believe you hit the nail on the head. Babies have a choice to be circumcised or not, but no choice to be born or not???? Sounds like our backward society's way of (not) thinking.
  • biggerman xcheshi... 2012/06/29 02:57:34
    biggerman
    +2
    Do you also support the right of a mother to abort her child just because she wants to?
  • xcheshi... biggerman 2012/06/29 03:33:36
    xcheshirecat
    +7
    he's not with a brain yet, therefore, not a person when it's ok to abort

Plus, he won't have to live with it, will just stop to exist and won't be able to care
  • Katherine xcheshi... 2012/06/29 03:49:16
    Katherine
    +1
    Abortion KILLS the baby by burning the baby and pulling the baby limb from limb, for third trimester, they ram scissors into the baby's neck and suck the brains out through a tube until the skull collapses. Circumcision removes a flap of skin that covers the tip of the penis. For religious reasons, it is done on the 8th day where pain is next to none and heals incredibly quick. Then there are the numerous medical purposes that prevent life-long complications to both the man and his partner.
  • Airhead Katherine 2012/06/29 04:17:15
    Airhead
    +9
    Have you seen this done? The babies scream so hard sometimes that their faces turn blue and have been known to pass out. Also a circumcision is not able to be undone. There are methods but they never restore the proper function of the foreskin. The foreskin is actually a protective layer of skin that should never be removed.
  • Katherine Airhead 2012/06/29 04:33:46
    Katherine
    +1
    All the men in my family are circumcised. A little crying for a few minutes and done. Murder can be less undone but it seems fine with leftists. Perhaps the circumcision can be done while the baby is in the womb and everyone will be happy, including the baby who will not have to suffer complications later in life, or will there be less concern of his partner getting cancer from him. The penis retains all function after circumcision. In many cases it REGAINS function.
  • zitamay Katherine 2012/06/29 07:17:39
    zitamay
    +1
    Baby have the right! Haha....really???! Then wait until he can express his decision!!!!!!
  • Katherine zitamay 2012/06/29 21:57:37
    Katherine
    +1
    Resorting to insults. Usual leftist tactic. He expresses dislike for vaccinations, getting to bed on time, eating vegetables, brushing his teeth, but his parents have him do those things also.
  • terry m... Katherine 2012/06/29 12:48:13
    terry miller
    +1
    it is always so ironic to me that people that support abortion and pain for the unborn are also usually the ones most against things such as circumcision or for animal rights. I happen to be pro-life and for circumcision and support animal protection.
  • xcheshi... Katherine 2012/06/29 14:31:17
    xcheshirecat
    +3
    you can't give cancer by sexual relations *facepalm*
  • Katherine xcheshi... 2012/06/29 21:57:29
    Katherine
    Actually you can. I suggest you look into counter evidence.
  • xcheshi... Katherine 2012/07/05 00:19:33
    xcheshirecat
    nope, you can't. You can give HPV, which can lead to cancer. but you can't give cancer
  • Playerazzi xcheshi... 2012/07/01 12:58:26
    Playerazzi
    Well, no and yes. Certain viruses that can lead to cancer can be spread by sexual activity, for example, HPV.
  • xcheshi... Playerazzi 2012/07/05 00:20:05
    xcheshirecat
    yeah I'm aware of that, but it's not the cancer you give. It can happen years after, never, or 2 weeks later
  • KrSpo Katherine 2012/06/29 15:41:59
    KrSpo
    +7
    So Katherine, Would it be ok then to have a doctor cut off the Labia and Clitoris?

The penis does NOT regain full function. It loses large amounts of feeling as the end of the penis rubs against the underwear. It also loses length and girth. Cutting off of the foreskin can also lead to infection in a newborn.

Partner getting Cancer? What kind of witchcraft are you talking about? Men walk around daily with cancer on their dorks, do we? If properly cleaned the uncircumcised penis is just as 'cancer free' as a circumcised one. Studies show uncircumcised men clear HPV later than circumcised men, do we?

"It's possible, they add, "that transmission of HPV to sex partners is more efficient among circumcised men because of the greater duration of their infection." However, they add, "whether circumcision is an effective means of facilitating HPV clearance has yet to be demonstrated.""

So we start ripping off foreskin on a 'maybe'? well I think that it is actually the Clitoris that causes Cervical cancer, will you be the first in line to have yours removed? Or I have a better Idea, teach your young men to practice safe sex, how to wash under their foreskin, and how to self examine for possible signs th might need a doctors care. Barbaric...
  • Katherine KrSpo 2012/06/29 21:57:22 (edited)
    Katherine
    +1
    First of all, some men have lost function of their penis from complications not getting a circumcision. Second, the penis functions quite well for those who have been circumcised. There's billions of people in the word who are evidence of this in case you're under the apprehension that most people in the world are uncut. lmfao.

I understand that if you aren't reading anti-circumcision propaganda your head will explode. Circumcision reduces the risk of penile, prostate and cervical cancer. There's also, I believe, hereditary conditions in which the foreskin is unable to retract, forcing adult males to get circumcised. It's less painful and takes less time to heal the younger you are, however..

You don't even have to look far to find this by even recent studies. It's not witchcraft (that was a unique insult, lmao!) I know, we won't have our kids vaccinated either. No teeth cleaning, too.

On a personal note, I'm glad I'm of a generation where most are circumcised so I have to worry less about the men in my life giving me cancer, or having to put up with the stinky cheese of un-cut men because they have an obsession with having a bag over their penis at all times. No offense, but gross. Even WITH non-stop cleaning.
  • Navin J... Katherine 2012/07/11 13:27:34
  • Playerazzi Airhead 2012/07/01 12:55:43
    Playerazzi
    I've seen it, and I've done it. They do cry, but it's not that bad at all.
  • Bassinman Playerazzi 2012/07/13 04:06:43
    Bassinman
    +1
    All three of my sons cried just as much from the 5 heel pokes in each one of their feet for the blood tests for retardation, diseases, etc. I guess we shouldn't have had our sons tested and just found out when they died or were put into special schools for slow kids. But, leave it to a bleeding-heart Liberal to think that stubbing your toe is worse than loosing your foot at the ankle.
  • Playerazzi Bassinman 2012/07/15 07:48:26
    Playerazzi
    I agree.
  • zitamay Katherine 2012/06/29 07:19:31
    zitamay
    +3
    Abortion is not murder but sometimes necessary bad. fetus is not been born yet vs the baby were born.
  • Katherine zitamay 2012/06/29 21:55:58
    Katherine
    Abortion is the murder of a pre-born baby. This is part of the development of a human being. Murdering them is never necessary.

Is it a newish leftist tactic to forget how to speak proper English?
  • zitamay Katherine 2013/05/25 10:18:54
  • Katherine zitamay 2013/05/25 10:32:23
  • xcheshi... Katherine 2012/06/29 14:30:24
    xcheshirecat
    +1
    you are talking about late abortions, which I don't agree with. Why do you talk about that ?

There's more complications from circumcision than from not having it done

We don't do it in my province, or few exceptions like jews, and guys have working penises
  • Katherine xcheshi... 2012/06/29 21:55:52 (edited)
    Katherine
    I've explained it to you twice now. And no, I'm not talking about "late abortions." There's almost no complications from circumcision and constant threats from going without them. Circumcised men have working penises, also, and no worry about cancer or the other dozen or so issues.
  • xcheshi... Katherine 2012/06/30 23:35:20
    xcheshirecat
    +2
    There's no proof for any benefits and there's more complications from circumcision than from not doing it

Plus, if there was health benefits to the clitoris ablation, would you agree that parents do it ? would have done it to you ? I don't think so

My body, my choice. For guys, or girls, no sexism
  • jules f... Katherine 2012/06/29 16:19:39
    jules ferengi
    +3
    Circumcision is barbaric supersttion and the American Pediatric society says that there is no known medical reason for doing it except in rare cases.
  • Katherine jules f... 2012/06/29 21:55:43
    Katherine
    You little liar.

The impact of circumcision on cervical cancer risk is less clear in the U.S. and other industrialized countries where cervical cancer screening is routine, says Anna Giuliano, MD, who chairs the department of cancer epidemiology at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Fla.

But she adds that the recent research confirming circumcision’s role in reducing the risk of HIV, HPV, and other sexually transmitted diseases are strong arguments in favor of the practice.

Neither the CDC nor the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommend routine circumcision of male infants, but the groups do not discourage the practice either.

New figures from CDC released in August confirm that fewer babies in the U.S. are being circumcised. Between 2006 and 2009, the circumcision rate among male newborns declined from 56% to 33%.

Both the CDC and the AAP are reportedly considering revisions to their infant circumcision policies in light of the new research.

The CDC is also considering whether circumcision should be recommended for adult men at high risk for HIV infection, according to a statement issued in August 2009.

Gee, I'm glad we're going to have 314 million people on government-run health care soon.
  • Bassinman Katherine 2012/07/13 04:37:58 (edited)
    Bassinman
    Yeah, I'm so glad. too. And since I've had a circumcision AND a vasectomy, the death panel will most likely let me die and save the one who hasn't had either. I just wish I could stick around long enough to ask the Liberals that lose their wife, child, or parent, because the forces that be determine "They are too far gone for us to invest in saving their life, they won't be an asset to society even if we did save them. Just give them this RED PILL or this BLUE PILL until they die", How's that working out for you Mr. Liberal? What if that was Yo mama, Mr Obama?
  • terry m... xcheshi... 2012/06/29 13:46:13
    terry miller
    +1
    yes, a baby in the womb does have a brain and can hear and even recognize its mother's voice. at vanderbilt med school, one professor thought children should be allowed to be terminated up until the age of four because it was dependent on others to meet his vital needs of feeding, drinking, bathing, clothing himself. society has been indoctrinated in focusing on side issues while lacking in core values and principles that help in making intelligent, informed decisions.
  • xcheshi... terry m... 2012/06/29 14:32:31
    xcheshirecat
    +1
    not until 14 weeks where the majority of abortions are done, and the only one I agree with
  • Navin J... xcheshi... 2012/07/11 13:33:00
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    +1
    wth? against circumcisions but not abortion?
  • xcheshi... Navin J... 2012/07/11 14:46:07
    xcheshirecat
    yeah, I believe being with a brains and thoughs have rights, see a problem with that?
  • Bassinman Navin J... 2012/07/13 04:45:38
    Bassinman
    Yeah, go figure. Sympathetic to the human that has been born, but could care less about the unborn that WOULD HAVE been a human that was born, but it was killed so that it wouldn't have to have a circumcision. It's dead, but it didn't have to cry for 5 minutes from losing a bit of skin. I'm sure it would thank her, IF IT COULD. What a way of thinking.
  • Haley xcheshi... 2012/06/29 04:09:50 (edited)
    Haley
    +3
    This ruling is wrong not only because it infringes on religious rights but because parents have the right to make reasonable decisions for their minor child. The risk of male circumcision is quite small but the health benefits are significant. Parents make these sorts of decisions for their children all the time

2014/10/22 03:28:01