Should Child Circumcision Be Allowed?

Circumcision has been a religious tradition for many years, but has often been the subject of controversy because of the effect it could potentially have on children. On Tuesday, a German court ruled that child circumcision can be classified as "grievous bodily harm." The issue went to court when a 4-year-old boy began bleeding profusely as the result of a circumcision. Naturally, religious communities that practice circumcision are upset.

The court ruled, "[The] fundamental right of the child to bodily integrity outweighed the fundamental rights of the parents ... The religious freedom of the parents and their right to educate their child would not be unacceptably compromised, if they were obliged to wait until the child could himself decide to be circumcised."

In response, the head of the Central Committee of Jews said the ruling is "an unprecedented and dramatic intervention in the right of religious communities to self-determination ... [an] outrageous and insensitive act. Circumcision of newborn boys is a fixed part of the Jewish religion and has been practiced worldwide for centuries."

• xcheshirecat 2012/06/28 23:19:19
    xcheshirecat
    +41
    religious freedom is about the baby's religion. I don't see how he can have one at that age...

Baby have the right, like any other human, of body integrity

• Michael... Daryl 2012/06/29 21:29:21
    Michael Rose
    +2
    Infant circumcision is a direct violation of an individuals religious liberty. I do not practice the religion of my parents. I do not believe in circumcision. However, my body was allowed to be cut up for someone else's beliefs, NOT MINE. If you want to be circumcised that is an individual's right to do so to themselves, but to allow people to abuse children for their religious beliefs is unethical.
  • Daryl Michael... 2012/06/29 22:13:17
    Daryl
    +2
    False.

Circumcision is religious liberty and the last people to ban it wore shiny boots.
  • Michael... Daryl 2012/07/01 16:21:18
    Michael Rose
    +1
    It is only religious liberty for the person choosing to do it to THEMSELVES (which I do not oppose) for THEIR faith. If you are forcing circumcision on ANOTHER individual it is a violation of their basic human rights and THEIR religious freedom. If you read and follow the United States Constitution, by legal definition, forced ritual circumcision of a minor would be illegal.
  • WinterLynn Michael... 2012/07/02 17:52:35
  • Daryl Michael... 2012/07/06 20:07:39
    Daryl
    Parents make the medical decisions for their children.

If you believe what you say then you oppose the 1 million abortions in the US every year?
  • WinterLynn Michael... 2012/07/02 17:51:49
  • marty Daryl 2012/07/06 19:21:40
    marty
    There are ways to honor God's covenant without circumcision. Jews can opt for Brit shalom and Christians have never been required to get circumcised.
  • TheNightFly 2012/06/29 20:42:29 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    +8
    I applaud that German court- bravo!
  • WinterLynn TheNigh... 2012/06/29 21:11:08
  • TheNigh... WinterLynn 2012/06/29 21:20:45
    TheNightFly
    +3
    Religious freedom does not include the freedom to butcher others. It IS, in fact, the right of the state to protect children, even from their own crazy parents.
  • saturdayschild 2012/06/29 20:37:18
    saturdayschild
    +9
    Circumcision should be up to the child to decide..........when this child becomes an adult.
  • WinterLynn saturda... 2012/06/29 21:14:49
  • No One WinterLynn 2012/06/29 21:41:43
    No One
    +3
    These are false analogies. The comment that children should have the option to not be harmed not that they should have the right to be harmed and that the child should be able to decide when he becomes an addult not while still a child. WinterLynn you are an idiot.
  • WinterLynn No One 2012/06/29 21:50:57
  • No One WinterLynn 2012/06/30 00:36:54
    No One
    +4
    It is my business because I am not just talking about something that is harmless like homosexuality but I am talking about something that affects children because it is not the parents body but the childs body. I stay out of other peoples business when it comes to harmless behaviors or ones that only affect the one who does it such as getting drunk while laying in bed but it would be wrong for me to not get involved when it comes to people harming others. Also your analogies still fail because they are discussing harmful behavior wheras not getting circumcised is beneficial.
  • saturda... WinterLynn 2012/06/29 23:03:18
    saturdayschild
    +2
    Did you read what I wrote?????? Look again. I repeat; circumcision should be up to the child to decide...............when this child becomes an ADULT!!!!!
  • Captain... saturda... 2012/07/01 14:58:42
    Captain Foxhound BN0
    +2
    total waste of time. you may as well be talking to a brick.
  • Mr Marvin 2012/06/29 20:31:55
    Mr Marvin
    It is a religious family tradition and sanatary.
  • TheNigh... Mr Marvin 2012/06/29 20:48:26
    TheNightFly
    +3
    Tradition is not an excuse for depravity.
  • WinterLynn TheNigh... 2012/06/29 21:15:12
  • TheNigh... WinterLynn 2012/06/29 21:21:53
    TheNightFly
    +3
    When it involves the abuse of children, it's everyone's business.
  • royal.h... WinterLynn 2012/06/29 21:31:29
    royal.hopper
    +2
    what isnt your business ...If you mean cutting off body parts for tradition then I agree..tradition is a stupid reason to do any kind of harm to anyone
  • WinterLynn royal.h... 2012/06/29 21:35:03
  • Michael... WinterLynn 2012/06/29 21:51:52 (edited)
    Michael Rose
    +1
    It is my business when a religious zealot cuts off part of my penis and my country did nothing to protect me from them. Not every child shares the same religious beliefs of their parents. I HATE that I was circumcised and NO ONE should have the right to cut up my body for their beliefs.
  • WinterLynn Michael... 2012/06/29 22:05:26
  • Michael... WinterLynn 2012/07/01 16:13:25
    Michael Rose
    How is trying to protect a baby from mutilation bashing Christians? If you want me to bash Christians I would be more than happy to oblige in a different forum than this, but that is not my goal here. If you were to assume anything I would think you would thought I was trying to bash Jews or Muslims as the Christian faith specifically does NOT ALLOW CIRCUMCISION. It is my business when religious nuts are responsible for mutilating me as a child. What is nosy is that someone felt compelled to force their religious beliefs on my body by ritual mutilation. That is the most grievous violation of an American's freedom of religion (and freedom FROM it).
  • Mr Marvin TheNigh... 2012/07/02 00:43:28
    Mr Marvin
    Depravity is an unnecessarily harsh term for a harmless and beneficial act. I am thankful that I was circumcised and recommended it for my male descendants.
  • TheNigh... Mr Marvin 2012/07/02 04:49:59 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    I was speaking lightly. If it was harmless and beneficial, nobody would have a problem with it. In fact it's dangerous and immoral. And it's not normal for people say they're thankful for being abused. It's extremely deviant, evil, wicked, masochistic, and most certainly depraved.
  • Mr Marvin TheNigh... 2012/07/02 13:30:52
    Mr Marvin
    We probably never agree about this. What is your problem with the infant procedure?
  • TheNigh... Mr Marvin 2012/07/02 18:59:21 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    Besides the risk of bleeding to death, post operative infection, and poor sensation during sexual intercourse later in life, my main problem is that it's done without the baby's consent. We wont agree on this until each of us understands the others point of view and we both chose to adopt one of them. I've been as forthcoming as I can but I still have no idea what you're thinking.
  • Flanner... Mr Marvin 2012/06/29 20:51:46
  • Michael... Mr Marvin 2012/06/29 21:34:38
    Michael Rose
    +1
    It is only a religious tradition IF the child wanted to be circumcised. Otherwise it is the victimization of a defenseless individual by a violent religious group. I never wanted to be circumcised and I hate that this was allowed to happen to me. No one should have been allowed to cut a part of my body off for their beliefs, NOT MINE. It is not only less sanitary to be circumcised, it also puts the infant at a risk of infection due to an open wound being perpetual exposed to urine and feces leading to meatel stenosis, a common side effect of circumcision.
  • marty Mr Marvin 2012/07/06 19:26:32
    marty
    Female circumcision, child marriages, and incest are also sick family traditions by some.
  • JessyBear 2012/06/29 20:25:26
    JessyBear
    +3
    This is a parental choice and should stay that way.
  • Flanner... JessyBear 2012/06/29 20:52:38
    Flannery Winchester
    +5
    The parents seem to be noticing that it's not fair for them to make such a drastic and irreversible decision for their children's bodies. The USA's rate is down to about 32%. Check it out: http://www.drmomma.org/2010/0...
  • WinterLynn Flanner... 2012/06/29 21:16:02
  • TheNigh... JessyBear 2012/06/29 20:53:06
    TheNightFly
    +2
    Parents only have whatever rights are necessary for them to take care of their children, which means keeping them whole unless it's medically necessary to remove something.
  • Michael... JessyBear 2012/06/29 21:37:06
    Michael Rose
    +2
    Honor killings, stoning, burning alive, and branding are also parental choices, often done for religious reasons too, it still doesn't make them right.
  • Captain... Michael... 2012/07/01 15:02:46
    Captain Foxhound BN0
    +1
    just think, if sodahead was based in the middle east, we'd be having this same argument but about girls, and their right wing nut jobs would be arguing it was their right to mutilate their girls. ironic that both muslim and jewish/christian zealots hate each other but are so much alike.
  • James Winslow 2012/06/29 20:23:36
    James Winslow
    Once upon a time, I might have said; "only in Germany." Today, it is "coming soon to a theatre near you."

2015/08/31 00:42:42