Should Child Circumcision Be Allowed?

Circumcision has been a religious tradition for many years, but has often been the subject of controversy because of the effect it could potentially have on children. On Tuesday, a German court ruled that child circumcision can be classified as "grievous bodily harm." The issue went to court when a 4-year-old boy began bleeding profusely as the result of a circumcision. Naturally, religious communities that practice circumcision are upset.

The court ruled, "[The] fundamental right of the child to bodily integrity outweighed the fundamental rights of the parents ... The religious freedom of the parents and their right to educate their child would not be unacceptably compromised, if they were obliged to wait until the child could himself decide to be circumcised."

In response, the head of the Central Committee of Jews said the ruling is "an unprecedented and dramatic intervention in the right of religious communities to self-determination ... [an] outrageous and insensitive act. Circumcision of newborn boys is a fixed part of the Jewish religion and has been practiced worldwide for centuries."

• xcheshirecat 2012/06/28 23:19:19
    xcheshirecat
    +41
    religious freedom is about the baby's religion. I don't see how he can have one at that age...

Baby have the right, like any other human, of body integrity

• royal.h... WinterLynn 2012/06/29 21:31:29
    royal.hopper
    +2
    what isnt your business ...If you mean cutting off body parts for tradition then I agree..tradition is a stupid reason to do any kind of harm to anyone
  • WinterLynn royal.h... 2012/06/29 21:35:03
  • Michael... WinterLynn 2012/06/29 21:51:52 (edited)
    Michael Rose
    +1
    It is my business when a religious zealot cuts off part of my penis and my country did nothing to protect me from them. Not every child shares the same religious beliefs of their parents. I HATE that I was circumcised and NO ONE should have the right to cut up my body for their beliefs.
  • WinterLynn Michael... 2012/06/29 22:05:26
  • Michael... WinterLynn 2012/07/01 16:13:25
    Michael Rose
    How is trying to protect a baby from mutilation bashing Christians? If you want me to bash Christians I would be more than happy to oblige in a different forum than this, but that is not my goal here. If you were to assume anything I would think you would thought I was trying to bash Jews or Muslims as the Christian faith specifically does NOT ALLOW CIRCUMCISION. It is my business when religious nuts are responsible for mutilating me as a child. What is nosy is that someone felt compelled to force their religious beliefs on my body by ritual mutilation. That is the most grievous violation of an American's freedom of religion (and freedom FROM it).
  • Mr Marvin TheNigh... 2012/07/02 00:43:28
    Mr Marvin
    Depravity is an unnecessarily harsh term for a harmless and beneficial act. I am thankful that I was circumcised and recommended it for my male descendants.
  • TheNigh... Mr Marvin 2012/07/02 04:49:59 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    I was speaking lightly. If it was harmless and beneficial, nobody would have a problem with it. In fact it's dangerous and immoral. And it's not normal for people say they're thankful for being abused. It's extremely deviant, evil, wicked, masochistic, and most certainly depraved.
  • Mr Marvin TheNigh... 2012/07/02 13:30:52
    Mr Marvin
    We probably never agree about this. What is your problem with the infant procedure?
  • TheNigh... Mr Marvin 2012/07/02 18:59:21 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    Besides the risk of bleeding to death, post operative infection, and poor sensation during sexual intercourse later in life, my main problem is that it's done without the baby's consent. We wont agree on this until each of us understands the others point of view and we both chose to adopt one of them. I've been as forthcoming as I can but I still have no idea what you're thinking.
  • Flanner... Mr Marvin 2012/06/29 20:51:46
  • Michael... Mr Marvin 2012/06/29 21:34:38
    Michael Rose
    +1
    It is only a religious tradition IF the child wanted to be circumcised. Otherwise it is the victimization of a defenseless individual by a violent religious group. I never wanted to be circumcised and I hate that this was allowed to happen to me. No one should have been allowed to cut a part of my body off for their beliefs, NOT MINE. It is not only less sanitary to be circumcised, it also puts the infant at a risk of infection due to an open wound being perpetual exposed to urine and feces leading to meatel stenosis, a common side effect of circumcision.
  • marty Mr Marvin 2012/07/06 19:26:32
    marty
    Female circumcision, child marriages, and incest are also sick family traditions by some.
  • JessyBear 2012/06/29 20:25:26
    JessyBear
    +3
    This is a parental choice and should stay that way.
  • Flanner... JessyBear 2012/06/29 20:52:38
    Flannery Winchester
    +5
    The parents seem to be noticing that it's not fair for them to make such a drastic and irreversible decision for their children's bodies. The USA's rate is down to about 32%. Check it out: http://www.drmomma.org/2010/0...
  • WinterLynn Flanner... 2012/06/29 21:16:02
  • TheNigh... JessyBear 2012/06/29 20:53:06
    TheNightFly
    +2
    Parents only have whatever rights are necessary for them to take care of their children, which means keeping them whole unless it's medically necessary to remove something.
  • Michael... JessyBear 2012/06/29 21:37:06
    Michael Rose
    +2
    Honor killings, stoning, burning alive, and branding are also parental choices, often done for religious reasons too, it still doesn't make them right.
  • America... Michael... 2012/07/01 15:02:46
    American Patriot Justice is Serv
    +1
    just think, if sodahead was based in the middle east, we'd be having this same argument but about girls, and their right wing nut jobs would be arguing it was their right to mutilate their girls. ironic that both muslim and jewish/christian zealots hate each other but are so much alike.
  • James Winslow 2012/06/29 20:23:36
    James Winslow
    Once upon a time, I might have said; "only in Germany." Today, it is "coming soon to a theatre near you."
  • Teineeun 2012/06/29 20:12:05
    Teineeun
    +5
    I'm not one for telling countries I don't reside in what to do, however if this vote came up in the US, I would back circumcision.

Let me be more specific. I do not back female circumcision as it is a harmful practice involving either partial or total removal of the external female genitalia. Just to give you an idea of how evil it is, the World Health Organization (WHO) calls it "Female Genital Mutilation" or FGM. It removes almost all ability for a woman to ever enjoy sex, and makes normal bodily functions unpleasant.

Male circumcision, however IS a good practice. Male circumcision lends to cleaner male genitals, more enjoyment from sex for both men and women (since it becomes larger due to more blood flow), and does not cause grievous bodily injury.

The above being said, this practice should be done at birth only, not at four years old. Many infants don't even cry during the procedure if done by a medical professional and the area where the extra skin was removed can be cleaned along with the umbilical cord/belly button.
  • Jim Teineeun 2012/06/29 20:21:43
    Jim
    If you've ever seen an adult male who was just circumcised, you would be grateful that you were circumcised as a new born.
  • Flanner... Jim 2012/06/29 20:37:05
  • saturda... Jim 2012/06/29 20:44:46
    saturdayschild
    +2
    I was circumcised as an adult, and I regret having it done. In this prudish country, people are shocked if you're not. Fortunately, this practice is beginning to wane. I'm glad I've experienced some of my life not being circumcised because there are more nerves to give an incredibly better erotic sensation. Circumcision numbs much of these erotic sensations.
  • Flanner... Teineeun 2012/06/29 20:33:27
  • saturda... Flanner... 2012/06/29 20:49:26
    saturdayschild
    +1
    You seem very informed on the subject. As I've told others, I was circumcised as an adult due to social pressure. I regret it to this day. You cannot compare the erotic pleasure that an intact penis feels as opposed to the numbing effect of an circumcised one. I speak out of experience.

I do believe that people who argue vehemently for the promotion of this practice do so only to justify why their parents had it done to them or why they had it done to their sons. Nobody wants to admit making an irreversible mistake on one's own child.
  • Teineeun saturda... 2012/06/29 23:57:34
    Teineeun
    Oh, and since you replied to me so many times, I'll toss one here too. Did you bother to read Flann's links? It IS reversible. Take the time to read the articles.
  • Vee Teineeun 2012/06/30 15:51:12
    Vee
    +2
    It is not truly reversible. You can force skin growth using weight, but you cannot regain the nerve endings and the frenulum. also, it is very hard to get full coverage of the glans using restoration techniques and can take years.
  • Teineeun Flanner... 2012/06/29 22:19:50
  • Vee Teineeun 2012/06/30 15:52:08
  • Vee Teineeun 2012/06/30 15:55:18
    Vee
    +1
    Also, I think a circumcised penis looks absolutely disgusting. The glans is hardened and desensitized, there is discoloration. It is so ugly. I would never want to be with a circumcised man. and I have many female friends who agree. Also, female nipples are designed to withstand friction and other abuse due to their natural purpose (breastfeeding.) They do not keratinize like the glans does.
  • Teineeun Flanner... 2012/06/30 00:05:02
    Teineeun
    Flan. Take the time to go to http://www.circinfo.net/ and http://www.circinfo.com/benef...

Not only is it multiple doctors from multiple countries...but multiple websites too!
  • saturda... Teineeun 2012/06/29 20:42:13
    saturdayschild
    +3
    I was circumcised as an adult, and regret it to this day. When not circumcised, they is more of an erotic sensation that is felt. I know; I'm the voice of experience, and I bet you're not.

Prudish views toward sex caused the big circumcision tradition in the United States. Today, people make lame excuses to continue this barbaric practice.
  • Teineeun saturda... 2012/06/29 22:26:44
    Teineeun
    No, you're actually not a voice of experience in comparing the feeling of both circumcised and uncircumcised genitals as you only have one set. You said that you were circumcised as an adult and therein lies the issue. What you are is bitter. Nothing anyone can say or do will change that. The only experience you have is getting a surgery you did not want in the first place and now you have 'buyer's remorse'.

I am happy with the way I am, and sex is amazing, not numbing like you say it is. There's nothing barbaric about male circumcision when done as a medical procedure to infants.
  • saturda... Teineeun 2012/06/29 23:06:49
    saturdayschild
    +2
    Were you circumcised as an adult? If not, then you don't know the difference like I do. I still enjoy sex, yes, but I know as a fact that it felt much, much better before the operation. I regret, yes, but, Mr. Know-it-all, I am not bitter. You like all proponents of circumcision, will do and say anything to try to convince yourself and others that there's merit to this barbaric practice.
  • Teineeun saturda... 2012/06/29 23:50:17
    Teineeun
    I never implied I knew it all. I merely make educated comments based on experience and/or accredited documentation I read. You, however, jumped on my post with a personal grudge and misinformation...that not only makes you the know-it-all but an angry, bitter know-it-all.

I notice that you never commented on female circumcision. Guess you didn't bother to read my initial post. You ARE bitter. The venom spews from your words.
    Seriously, read what you said, I'll even caps the impact words for you:

Joe Davies said:
    "I was circumcised as an adult, and REGRET it to this day.......PRUDISH views toward sex caused the big circumcision tradition in the United States. Today, people make LAME excuses to continue this BARBARIC practice."

How is your reader SUPPOSED to take that as anything but bitterness and anger?

You want some reasons why circumcision is good and you're just a mad person shooting others down?

• Eliminates the risk of phimosis, which is not only an
    impediment to sex, but makes cleaning under the foreskin
    and passing urine difficult and painful, as well as greatly
    increasing the risk of penile cancer and geriatric problems.
    • Reduces the risk of inflammation and infection of the skin
    of the penis.
    • Substantially reduces the risk of urinary tract infections
    (UTIs), particularly ...

Joe Davies said:

of the penis.
    (UTIs), particularly in infancy.
    • Almost completely eliminates the risk of invasive penile
    cancer.
    • Reduces the risk of prostate cancer.
    • Reduces the risk of being infected by HIV, the AIDS virus,
    by 3-8 fold.
    • Provides substantial protection against thrush, genital
    ulcers, papillomavirus, herpes, syphilis, trichomonas,
    chancroid and mycoplasma.
    • Eliminates the need for later circumcision for medical
    reasons.
    • Does not affect sensitivity of the flaccid penis, penile
    sensation arousal, nor ability to get an erection. Sexual
    pleasure is the same or better.

(ref: http://www.circinfo.net/pdfs/...

You had yours as an adult. You did it due to social pressure. I'm sure you did other things due to social pressure too. Bet you also regretted those decisions. This is not about continuing a 'barbaric practice' but about a beneficial medical procedure which you obviously did not desire in the first place.

The reason it seemed to feel better then is because of two things.

1) It's not something you grew up with, so your brain is not hard-wired to think it's normal.

2) It's not something you wanted to begin with, but by your own admission, was forced into. Thus you're wishing for something you no longer have. Such is human nature.

You're only voice of 'experience' is that you are mad.
  • Vee Teineeun 2012/06/30 16:00:40
    Vee
    +1
    phimosis is incredibly rare and is easily treated with steroid creams. UTIs in intact infants are usually caused by improper care, such as forced retraction which brings bacteria under the skin. An infant's foreskin is fused to the glans and should never be retracted. The STD studies have all been debunked. the reason penile cancer is reduced is because there is less penis. An intact man is more likely to get breast cancer than penile cancer. it is not cause for concern. Circumcision is directly linked to erectile dysfunction. Also, no medical organization on the planet recommends infant circumcision.
  • saturda... Teineeun 2012/07/01 18:40:02
  • Vee Teineeun 2012/06/30 15:56:43
    Vee
    +1
    He is a voice of experience. He knows what sex felt like before the procedure and what it feels like after, which you do not. You may think sex is not numbed by your circumcision, but you cannot really say that since you have never experienced sex as an uncircumcised male, which Joe HAS.
  • Teineeun Vee 2012/06/30 17:45:09
    Teineeun
    Your replies are null. For all I know you're a second account of Flan or Joe's. I will disregard all your replies as such.
  • Flanner... Teineeun 2012/06/29 20:51:26

2014/08/22 17:48:34