Should Child Circumcision Be Allowed?

Circumcision has been a religious tradition for many years, but has often been the subject of controversy because of the effect it could potentially have on children. On Tuesday, a German court ruled that child circumcision can be classified as "grievous bodily harm." The issue went to court when a 4-year-old boy began bleeding profusely as the result of a circumcision. Naturally, religious communities that practice circumcision are upset.

The court ruled, "[The] fundamental right of the child to bodily integrity outweighed the fundamental rights of the parents ... The religious freedom of the parents and their right to educate their child would not be unacceptably compromised, if they were obliged to wait until the child could himself decide to be circumcised."

In response, the head of the Central Committee of Jews said the ruling is "an unprecedented and dramatic intervention in the right of religious communities to self-determination ... [an] outrageous and insensitive act. Circumcision of newborn boys is a fixed part of the Jewish religion and has been practiced worldwide for centuries."

• xcheshirecat 2012/06/28 23:19:19
    xcheshirecat
    +41
    religious freedom is about the baby's religion. I don't see how he can have one at that age...

Baby have the right, like any other human, of body integrity

• fintact... atti.tude 2012/07/07 21:26:24
    fintactivist
    +7
    You do NOT retract a boy's (fused) foreskin under any circumstances unless it has already retracted on its own. Please look this up on the American Academy of Pediatric's website. Forced retraction causes numerous problems.

"As a boy becomes more aware of his body, he will most likely discover how to retract his own foreskin. But foreskin retraction should never be forced. Until the foreskin fully separates, do not try to pull it back. Forcing the foreskin to retract before it is ready can cause severe pain, bleeding, and tears in the skin." - AAP

I've never had to clean smegma from my son's penis. PLEASE educate yourself about the natural anatomy of males. Females also have smegma. Most of the time this can be seen when it rubs off onto undergarments. (Once again, you have the power of Google at your fingers, please use it.)
  • atti.tude fintact... 2012/07/08 10:07:49
    atti.tude
    go ahead, argue against the doctors - http://www.mayoclinic.com/hea...
    http://www.hopkinsmedicine.or...

and the aap also advices that vaccines be given to infants, although the ingredient list in said vaccines contains things like mercury, formaldehyde, and aluminum, and often individuals develop serious reacts and/or get the very disease they are vaccinated against. but go ahead, follow everything the aap advices. I feel sorry for your kid(s).

oh and btw - young boys with foreskins have 12x the UTI rate of circumcised boys. because their foreskin is not being properly cleansed.
  • fintact... atti.tude 2012/07/09 05:32:51
    fintactivist
    +4
    My son has never had a UTI either. UTIs are not reason to circumcise. We have antibiotics, which are given to girls that have UTIs. There's no reason the same treatment can't be given to boys.

My own personal OB/GYN advised against circumcision. My husband wanted to circumcise our son and I did not. He asked my doctor his professional medical opinion on the matter and he said "It's not necessary nor is it beneficial." Case in point, my son remains intact.

I'm not sure what doctors you're following, but Dr. Sears(the whole Sears family actually), Dr. Pate, Dr. Fleiss, etc... advise against RIC.

Parents need to make FULLY informed decisions, especially when something is not medically necessary.
  • atti.tude fintact... 2012/07/09 05:52:15
    atti.tude
    It may not be necessary, but to deny parents the right to raise their child how they would like is NOT ok. is still the parent's right, and i do feel it has some benefit as deadskin cells in a warm moist place is wonderful breeding grounds for bacteria, and often young boys are too busy playing to properly clean themselves. The OP is asking whether or not the practice should be outlawed, and i do not feel anything you have stated is grounds for making it illegal.

I guess you could compare it to piercing a baby's ears. Is it medically necessary or benificial? that could be debatable. But would you deny said parents the right to pierce their kid's ears??
  • Rodrigo... atti.tude 2012/07/09 16:12:14
    Rodrigo Girão
    +5
    Indeed, you can't deny parents the right to raise their children how they would like! For example, I will raise my children as sex slaves for my personal enjoyment. It's my right, isn't it? After all, as you seem to imply, there should be no limit to parental authority.
  • atti.tude Rodrigo... 2012/07/11 06:36:43
    atti.tude
    That's not something to joke about - there are parents who do that....
    There is a HUGE difference between circumcising a son and sexually exploiting him. If anything, it's more boardline sexual harassment for daycare providers and preschool teachers of uncircumcised children.
  • fintact... atti.tude 2012/07/09 18:47:38
    fintactivist
    +5
    Removing healthy, functioning body parts isn't comparable to piercing someone's ears. Totally different realm. Back on topic...It's not medically necessary and should be left up to the owner of the penis in question. Up until 1997, female circumcision was LEGAL in the U.S (and according to the constitution male circumcision should also be illegal now because of equal rights). It was also touted for "health benefits." What you are saying about "dead skin cells in warm moist places" can also be attributed to females. Females have way more UTIs and yeast infections than males do. Should we go back and start trimming the labias of little girls again to help avoid those? Have you ever heard of someone teasing a female because they "smell like fish?" Yeah.... I've heard that quite a bit more than someone ever saying "hey guy.... your junk smells." I think you need to try some other logic. Both forms of genital mutilation are WRONG. Especially when they are forced upon another human being that did not give their consent. I know quite a few men that feel beyond violated that part of their normal & healthy anatomy was removed at birth. Why was it removed? Simply because their parents wanted it removed... no medical reason. Are you going to push their wants and need aside...

Removing healthy, functioning body parts isn't comparable to piercing someone's ears. Totally different realm. Back on topic...It's not medically necessary and should be left up to the owner of the penis in question. Up until 1997, female circumcision was LEGAL in the U.S (and according to the constitution male circumcision should also be illegal now because of equal rights). It was also touted for "health benefits." What you are saying about "dead skin cells in warm moist places" can also be attributed to females. Females have way more UTIs and yeast infections than males do. Should we go back and start trimming the labias of little girls again to help avoid those? Have you ever heard of someone teasing a female because they "smell like fish?" Yeah.... I've heard that quite a bit more than someone ever saying "hey guy.... your junk smells." I think you need to try some other logic. Both forms of genital mutilation are WRONG. Especially when they are forced upon another human being that did not give their consent. I know quite a few men that feel beyond violated that part of their normal & healthy anatomy was removed at birth. Why was it removed? Simply because their parents wanted it removed... no medical reason. Are you going to push their wants and need aside? Because that would be really insensitive.

People need to consider what the child might want. Who is going to grow up with that organ and use it? Certainly (at least I'd hope not) not the parents. I have no right to remove a part of my son's normal, healthy anatomy. That is his and I do not own him. If he chooses to become a circumcised male later on in life, that is HIS choice, but at least I left him that choice.
  • Michael... atti.tude 2012/08/27 11:09:56
    Michael Taylor
    Yes, I think piercing infant's ears is sick.
  • jojoneli76 atti.tude 2013/05/06 17:20:29
    jojoneli76
    [...] What part of most boy's foreskin is not retractable until near puberty, do you not understand? Young boy's foreskin is fused to the glans. It's natures way of preventing anything from getting inside and causing infections. Premature retraction is the cause of infections.
  • 3357839 atti.tude 2012/07/07 23:15:20
    3357839
    +6
    OMG....such utter ignorance! Sure you can force a boys foreskin back just like you are recommending....and then you are the guilty one for causing his problems! Smegma actually means soap in Greek....and wow, yes, it actually cleans the glans, but you wouldn't know a thing about that. You are just really sexist by claiming that boys are incapable of caring for themselves.....and it's so ridiculous!
  • atti.tude 3357839 2012/07/08 10:16:35
    atti.tude
    there is a difference between forcably retracting and cleaning. and last time i checked deadskin cells in a warm moist place is wonderful breeding grounds for bacteria, not breeding grounds for soap. In fact, people typically bathe to remove dead skin cells and other yuck, just saying.
    boys are capable of cleaning themselves, but young boys are notorious for avoiding it at all costs.
  • KoolGuyL atti.tude 2012/07/10 18:09:40
    KoolGuyL
    +5
    I have a foreskin, and I have yet to get any infection. Every year, many infants suffer a botched circumcision, which can lead to complications which can lead to DEATH. It takes two seconds to clean a uncircumcised penis. You obviously have NO IDEA what you are talking about. You don't even know your own anatomy.
  • 3357839 atti.tude 2012/07/07 23:10:24
    3357839
    +6
    Ha Ha Ha.....you should shut up and do your homework! well maybe you don't have a foreskin and you were born with a birth defect, who knows? You really should check yourself out! Nature is smarter than you thank goodness.....and would not be putting foreskins on males for no reason. Maybe you think you are smarter than nature? wow. Boys are just as capable of taking care of themselves as girls. And please, girls have way more folds of skin and places to clean than boys....as well as get way more "infections" than boys, but I don't see you advocating to cut on little girls. wow. You are so ignorant it's tragic. Please, please educate yourself, your ignorance and sexism is disturbing.
  • atti.tude 3357839 2012/07/08 10:12:21
    atti.tude
    classic responce. you don't have any thing good to say so you attack my person. Girls do not have the luxury of just going where ever they want as little boys are. it's not sexist because it's irrelevant to bring girls into this. The anatomy is entirely different. plus every girl I know uses toilet paper to wipe herself after she urinates, i cannot say the same for boys.
  • 3357839 atti.tude 2012/07/21 22:32:21
    3357839
    +2
    no it is entirely relevant....and you are completely sexist.....genital cutting is genital cutting and it doesn't matter what sex a person is. You should do some research on male and female anatomy.....you might learn something.
  • jojoneli76 atti.tude 2013/05/06 17:24:21
  • 3357839 atti.tude 2012/07/07 23:03:27
  • atti.tude 3357839 2012/07/08 10:36:01
    atti.tude
    Once again trying to beat me down. You know, repeating yourself 3 times doesn't make me an idiot or a sexist or any of those other attacks on my person, it just means that your response has cracks in it and because you don't have a good reply you take to trying to intimidate me by attacking me instead of being able to discuss this.
    You can call me all sorts of names, but when you come down to it it's not hurting me. i understand that you don't agree with me. i got that from your first post.
  • Ron Bur... 3357839 2012/07/09 04:01:43
    Ron Burgundy "Gentlemanly Lover"
    booooo! thumbs down to that!
  • dallasjoe atti.tude 2012/07/09 15:46:20
    dallasjoe
    +4
    leave it up to the child to decide at age 18 You know that it is against Federal Law in the US to Female alteratrion of Sexual organs even if it is a Religoius purpose Funy how the woman love to cut OUR BODIES you Know
  • atti.tude atti.tude 2012/07/11 06:56:16
    atti.tude
    I'm not going to bother replying to rest of these. They're hipocritical in their responces, and I have better things to do than argue with people who think their ideas are the only ones that matter and everyone else should just do as they say. As far as to circumcise or not to, it should still be up to the parent. And it's anti-Jew to take that right away. You don't want to circumcise your son, whatever, you don't have to. But don't push your belief on the rest of us who chose to.
  • 3357839 atti.tude 2012/07/21 22:34:12
    3357839
    +2
    But your okay with pushing "beliefs" on an infant, especially ones that cut his normal healthy genitals??? Wow, that's too much!
  • Oblahblah atti.tude 2012/07/31 19:37:27
    Oblahblah
    +1
    As long as parents are being selfish about circumcision and are not considering the baby boy's rights, they should have no say in genital mutilation. If you're willing to take away your kid's rights, yours should be taken away.
  • Oblahblah atti.tude 2012/07/31 19:39:55
    Oblahblah
    +1
    And why do you keep calling it dead skin? Its not a callous!
  • james.bowman.146 2012/07/06 00:53:43 (edited)
    james.bowman.146
    +1
    It helps prevent diseases. Should we also ban vaccines and other medical procedures? Hell, why even should we even let pregnant women go to the hospital. Seriously, guys? Be smart.

EDIT: After further research, I have found circumcision to be less helpful than I was led to believe. Regardless, I think it should be legal - I would advise against it though.
  • Rodrigo... james.b... 2012/07/06 03:40:49
    Rodrigo Girão
    +3
    But this "vaccine" has very dubious effectiveness, nasty side effects, and has caused a notable number of deaths.
  • atti.tude james.b... 2012/07/06 07:03:56
    atti.tude
    well yes, in regards to vaccines, but other wise no.
  • Oblahblah james.b... 2012/07/06 14:28:03
    Oblahblah
    +3
    The so called evidence in disease prevention is debatable at best. I guess since it is supposedly so effective, you wouldn't recommend your son practice abstinence (100% effective against STD's) or condom usage (somewhere on the upper90's effective depending on the type). We don't even have to consider that some of this debatable evidence comes from groups who have a (financial) stake in male circumcision.
  • erikacr... james.b... 2012/07/06 19:23:13
    erikacrooks
    +8
    Really? Then why does the U.S. have the highest HIV and STD rate of any developed nation? Sorry, but in Europe where circumcision is rare, so are diseases.
  • 3357839 james.b... 2012/07/07 23:21:52
    3357839
    +3
    Oh wow, another ignorant person. Wow, you think that a baby is at risk for "diseases"....that's great. There is no overwhelming evidence that what you say is at all true and a baby should not be subjected to genital amputation because people think like you. And seriously....let's be serious now....vaccines are optional, many parents do not vaccinate or they selectively vaccinate. Circumcision is an unnecessary medical procedure that is not even recommended by the AAP because the evidence does not support doing it routinely to baby boys. Cutting a part of a baby boy off at birth is plain wrong....he doesn't get a choice about his own body and it's a permanent body modification. Why not just let boys grow into men and let them decide if it's something they want to do??? why is that so hard to understand?
  • Ron Bur... 3357839 2012/07/09 03:55:09
    Ron Burgundy "Gentlemanly Lover"
    genital amputaion??? they're aren't cutting off the whole thing ffs,all it is,is just a quick snip.
  • gretche... Ron Bur... 2012/07/09 12:36:35
    gretchennycole
    +5
    wrong, it IS amputation of part of a healthy organ. and barbaric at that
  • Ron Bur... gretche... 2012/07/11 13:02:59
    Ron Burgundy "Gentlemanly Lover"
    barbaric? i don't think it's conan doing the snipping lol,and they don't use swords either lol
  • 3357839 Ron Bur... 2012/07/21 22:36:22
    3357839
    +1
    You really should watch a circumcision....it is not snipping....it is cutting off a normal, natural, functional part of the baby's anatomy and it is traumatic and totally unnecessary!
  • KoolGuyL james.b... 2012/07/10 18:13:01
    KoolGuyL
    +1
    Ever year, many infants suffer a botched circumcision. It is time to end this barbaric practice. Germany has caught on. I only hope the rest of the developed world will too.
  • Quazimoto 2012/07/05 19:37:07
    Quazimoto
    +1
    Just say no to the soft shelled turtle neck.

turtel_neck
  • erikacr... Quazimoto 2012/07/06 19:24:01
    erikacrooks
    +8
    Apparently you've never seen a normal penis.
  • 3357839 Quazimoto 2012/07/07 23:23:29
    3357839
    +1
    oh the ignorance abounds!!!!
  • Ron Bur... Quazimoto 2012/07/09 03:49:51
    Ron Burgundy "Gentlemanly Lover"
    LMAO
  • Ron Bur... Quazimoto 2012/07/23 22:04:29
    Ron Burgundy "Gentlemanly Lover"
    say no to dick cheese

2014/08/23 01:39:27