Should Child Circumcision Be Allowed?

Circumcision has been a religious tradition for many years, but has often been the subject of controversy because of the effect it could potentially have on children. On Tuesday, a German court ruled that child circumcision can be classified as "grievous bodily harm." The issue went to court when a 4-year-old boy began bleeding profusely as the result of a circumcision. Naturally, religious communities that practice circumcision are upset.

The court ruled, "[The] fundamental right of the child to bodily integrity outweighed the fundamental rights of the parents ... The religious freedom of the parents and their right to educate their child would not be unacceptably compromised, if they were obliged to wait until the child could himself decide to be circumcised."

In response, the head of the Central Committee of Jews said the ruling is "an unprecedented and dramatic intervention in the right of religious communities to self-determination ... [an] outrageous and insensitive act. Circumcision of newborn boys is a fixed part of the Jewish religion and has been practiced worldwide for centuries."

• xcheshirecat 2012/06/28 23:19:19
    xcheshirecat
    +41
    religious freedom is about the baby's religion. I don't see how he can have one at that age...

Baby have the right, like any other human, of body integrity

• Marlene... Christi... 2012/07/20 06:18:34 (edited)
    Marlene Wilkins
    +1
    My biggest problem, that people should be made aware of, is that more than a few hospitals consider it a 'routine' thing and just do it without clear consent citing 'implied consent' due to 'cultural norms'.
    Okay...
    Now, what if the parents DO specify against it?
    Too bad, it's 'policy'.
    So, if you don't want it for your child ASK QUESTIONS first. Don't just 'assume' you'll have that choice.
    When I have my kids, any hackjobber who tries it, they'll be cleaning up his remains with a mop after I'm done with him.
    Your child.
    Your rights.
    NEVER assume.

My male kids can make their own call for themselves about when they're old enough, as is THEIR right under my personal views for my children.
    +11
    NO! It's morally wrong! There are no medical benefits to circumcision, being circumcised is not cleaner, safer or healthier than being intact. All of circumcision's effects are negative: it removes 20,000+ super-sensitive nerve endings, causes the glans (head of the penis) to dry out and loose most if not all feeling and in many cases causes sex to be painful for both the man and women and may be the underlying cause of ED. More infants die from complications due to circumcision every year than those killed in car accidents. Take a 3''x5'' note card, that is how much skin is removed from the penis during circumcision. No national or international medical association recommends routine circumcision., many condemn it! Please, before you choose to circumcise your son(s), be sure to educate yourself on the horrors of circumcision and the adverse effects it may cause on him later in life. Watch a video of it being preformed, they're on YouTube. Be an educated parent and remember, his body, his rights, his decision! Be the best parent in the world, let him choose. To learn more please visit http://www.intactamerica.org/
  • Roy Mun... Andrew 2012/07/09 03:29:47
    Roy Munson **SL, BD**
    that's all that true
  • Roy Mun... Roy Mun... 2012/07/09 03:30:04
    Roy Munson **SL, BD**
    *not true*
  • Roy Mun... Andrew 2012/07/09 03:37:41
    Roy Munson **SL, BD**
    wrong!
  • KoolGuyL Roy Mun... 2012/07/10 18:03:24
    KoolGuyL
    +6
    Nope, look at the source, everything he said was correct. Face it, circumcision is MUTILATION.
  • Roy Mun... KoolGuyL 2012/07/11 12:59:27
    Roy Munson **SL, BD**
    nope,medical procedure,sir
  • gretche... Roy Mun... 2012/07/17 04:03:14
    gretchennycole
    +3
    just because its a medical procedure doesnt mean its not mutilation. until 1997 little girls in the us could go throught the same 'procedure' to be circumcised(ie their clitoral hood removed) then they enacted the female genital MUTILATION bill, outlawing it. so sorry, but its mutilation, rather you want to come to terms with it or not. also MGM should have been outlawed right along with FGM since i believe its the 14th(?) amendment that guarantees both sexes the same rights, freedoms, and protections. and i assume that is not right either, huh?
  • Marlene Wilkins 2012/07/08 05:45:35
    Marlene Wilkins
    +1
    Go ahead and allow it/keep it permissible. Just DON'T try to force it on parents who do not want it for their kids. I've done a LOT of research on it, and there's NO genuine benefits whatsoever and complications are common. You want your kid 'cut' fine. But I expect and demand my kids be left 'uncut'.
  • Michael... Marlene... 2012/08/27 11:06:40
    Michael Taylor
    +1
    No that's still sick and still enabling the child-molesters and the (unfit) parents and (fraudulent) doctors who do this!
  • Roy Mun... Michael... 2012/08/27 11:54:38
    Roy Munson **SL, BD**
    who's been brainwashing you?
  • Marlene... Michael... 2012/09/05 00:47:40
    Marlene Wilkins
    I still have to stand with people having the right to choose, but I DO believe that greter medical oversight is needed as it's treated FAR too casually.
    My male offspring...any masked man approaching them with a knife better have a VERY good reason, or I'll yank his head clean off his neck. Hospital 'policy' be damned to the 7 Hells. MY male kids will remain intact, they can decide for themselves as is their right when they're older. I'll just hold that choice in-trust for them is all.
  • atti.tude 2012/07/06 07:02:47
    atti.tude
    +1
    I think circumcision is a great thing. Little boys are NOT going to clean their uncircumcised penises, hell they don't even wash their hands most of the time or like to take baths..... In fact they often get infections from not having been circumcised. And when those boys go to daycare or preschool and are not yet potty trained it puts the caregiver in a VERY awkward position as you REALLY have to get all up in it to clean it. As far as "pain" goes, I have a few friends who have had their boys circumcised later (like 4-6y/o), and the boys are off playing afterwards and don't really care.
  • Oblahblah atti.tude 2012/07/06 14:22:21
    Oblahblah
    +7
    It is not much different than cleaning a circumcised boy since the skin doesn't retract naturally until they're older. Forcing the skin to retract earlier causes problems. Women have "foreskin" and yet none of the same complaints or problems.
  • atti.tude Oblahblah 2012/07/06 15:58:48
    atti.tude
    it retracts early enough for there to be problems and cause infections. Boys potty train later than girls. And boys fight tooth and nail to wash their hands or take a bath - do you honestly think they are going to clean that at a young age?
    and where did you get your so called info on "women have foreskins" - I do not.
  • fintact... atti.tude 2012/07/06 17:35:32
    fintactivist
    +8
    Sounds like you need an anatomy lesson. You have the power of Google at your fingers lady... Women have foreskins since we're all formed the same during the first couple weeks of gestation. Things just get moved around differently. So... go and google "female foreskin."

"It is also described as the prepuce, a technically broader term that also includes the clitoral hood in women, to which the foreskin is embryonically homologous."
  • fintact... atti.tude 2012/07/06 17:43:01
    fintactivist
    +9
    I'd also like to correct you about the retraction of the foreskin. The average age of retraction is 10 years old. So, close to puberty. AND... Yes I believe boys will clean themselves at that age. It takes all of 5 seconds to retract, rinse, and replace. Most boys would rather wash themselves than have part of their penis amputated. My son is 2.5 years old. He has not yet retracted and he has no issues with his natural penis. I have no problem asking him, as he gets older, if he is able to retract and clean himself. The majority of the world does NOT circumcise and they don't have all of these issues with their intact penises. With that said, there is no medical necessity(and no medical or health organization in the WORLD recommends it) for RIC, therefore it should remain a procedure that adults can choose for themselves and themselves only. Have a wonderful day!
  • erikacr... fintact... 2012/07/06 19:20:14
    erikacrooks
    +9
    Well said, Faith.
  • atti.tude fintact... 2012/07/07 07:18:23
    atti.tude
    Alright, go ahead and not clean your son's foreskin of smegma until he is 10. have fun with infections. btw - by 3 years most boys foreskin can be pulled back to clean it - and i have yet to meet a young boy who is truly concerned with good hygiene - heck even 13y/o's don't clean up properly.
  • fintact... atti.tude 2012/07/07 21:26:24
    fintactivist
    +8
    You do NOT retract a boy's (fused) foreskin under any circumstances unless it has already retracted on its own. Please look this up on the American Academy of Pediatric's website. Forced retraction causes numerous problems.

"As a boy becomes more aware of his body, he will most likely discover how to retract his own foreskin. But foreskin retraction should never be forced. Until the foreskin fully separates, do not try to pull it back. Forcing the foreskin to retract before it is ready can cause severe pain, bleeding, and tears in the skin." - AAP

I've never had to clean smegma from my son's penis. PLEASE educate yourself about the natural anatomy of males. Females also have smegma. Most of the time this can be seen when it rubs off onto undergarments. (Once again, you have the power of Google at your fingers, please use it.)
  • atti.tude fintact... 2012/07/08 10:07:49
    atti.tude
    go ahead, argue against the doctors - http://www.mayoclinic.com/hea...
    http://www.hopkinsmedicine.or...

and the aap also advices that vaccines be given to infants, although the ingredient list in said vaccines contains things like mercury, formaldehyde, and aluminum, and often individuals develop serious reacts and/or get the very disease they are vaccinated against. but go ahead, follow everything the aap advices. I feel sorry for your kid(s).

oh and btw - young boys with foreskins have 12x the UTI rate of circumcised boys. because their foreskin is not being properly cleansed.
  • fintact... atti.tude 2012/07/09 05:32:51
    fintactivist
    +5
    My son has never had a UTI either. UTIs are not reason to circumcise. We have antibiotics, which are given to girls that have UTIs. There's no reason the same treatment can't be given to boys.

My own personal OB/GYN advised against circumcision. My husband wanted to circumcise our son and I did not. He asked my doctor his professional medical opinion on the matter and he said "It's not necessary nor is it beneficial." Case in point, my son remains intact.

I'm not sure what doctors you're following, but Dr. Sears(the whole Sears family actually), Dr. Pate, Dr. Fleiss, etc... advise against RIC.

Parents need to make FULLY informed decisions, especially when something is not medically necessary.
  • atti.tude fintact... 2012/07/09 05:52:15
    atti.tude
    It may not be necessary, but to deny parents the right to raise their child how they would like is NOT ok. is still the parent's right, and i do feel it has some benefit as deadskin cells in a warm moist place is wonderful breeding grounds for bacteria, and often young boys are too busy playing to properly clean themselves. The OP is asking whether or not the practice should be outlawed, and i do not feel anything you have stated is grounds for making it illegal.

I guess you could compare it to piercing a baby's ears. Is it medically necessary or benificial? that could be debatable. But would you deny said parents the right to pierce their kid's ears??
  • Rodrigo... atti.tude 2012/07/09 16:12:14
    Rodrigo Girão
    +6
    Indeed, you can't deny parents the right to raise their children how they would like! For example, I will raise my children as sex slaves for my personal enjoyment. It's my right, isn't it? After all, as you seem to imply, there should be no limit to parental authority.
  • atti.tude Rodrigo... 2012/07/11 06:36:43
    atti.tude
    That's not something to joke about - there are parents who do that....
    There is a HUGE difference between circumcising a son and sexually exploiting him. If anything, it's more boardline sexual harassment for daycare providers and preschool teachers of uncircumcised children.
  • fintact... atti.tude 2012/07/09 18:47:38
    fintactivist
    +6
    Removing healthy, functioning body parts isn't comparable to piercing someone's ears. Totally different realm. Back on topic...It's not medically necessary and should be left up to the owner of the penis in question. Up until 1997, female circumcision was LEGAL in the U.S (and according to the constitution male circumcision should also be illegal now because of equal rights). It was also touted for "health benefits." What you are saying about "dead skin cells in warm moist places" can also be attributed to females. Females have way more UTIs and yeast infections than males do. Should we go back and start trimming the labias of little girls again to help avoid those? Have you ever heard of someone teasing a female because they "smell like fish?" Yeah.... I've heard that quite a bit more than someone ever saying "hey guy.... your junk smells." I think you need to try some other logic. Both forms of genital mutilation are WRONG. Especially when they are forced upon another human being that did not give their consent. I know quite a few men that feel beyond violated that part of their normal & healthy anatomy was removed at birth. Why was it removed? Simply because their parents wanted it removed... no medical reason. Are you going to push their wants and need aside...

Removing healthy, functioning body parts isn't comparable to piercing someone's ears. Totally different realm. Back on topic...It's not medically necessary and should be left up to the owner of the penis in question. Up until 1997, female circumcision was LEGAL in the U.S (and according to the constitution male circumcision should also be illegal now because of equal rights). It was also touted for "health benefits." What you are saying about "dead skin cells in warm moist places" can also be attributed to females. Females have way more UTIs and yeast infections than males do. Should we go back and start trimming the labias of little girls again to help avoid those? Have you ever heard of someone teasing a female because they "smell like fish?" Yeah.... I've heard that quite a bit more than someone ever saying "hey guy.... your junk smells." I think you need to try some other logic. Both forms of genital mutilation are WRONG. Especially when they are forced upon another human being that did not give their consent. I know quite a few men that feel beyond violated that part of their normal & healthy anatomy was removed at birth. Why was it removed? Simply because their parents wanted it removed... no medical reason. Are you going to push their wants and need aside? Because that would be really insensitive.

People need to consider what the child might want. Who is going to grow up with that organ and use it? Certainly (at least I'd hope not) not the parents. I have no right to remove a part of my son's normal, healthy anatomy. That is his and I do not own him. If he chooses to become a circumcised male later on in life, that is HIS choice, but at least I left him that choice.
  • Michael... atti.tude 2012/08/27 11:09:56
    Michael Taylor
    +1
    Yes, I think piercing infant's ears is sick.
  • jojoneli76 atti.tude 2013/05/06 17:20:29
    jojoneli76
    +1
    [...] What part of most boy's foreskin is not retractable until near puberty, do you not understand? Young boy's foreskin is fused to the glans. It's natures way of preventing anything from getting inside and causing infections. Premature retraction is the cause of infections.
  • 3357839 atti.tude 2012/07/07 23:15:20
    3357839
    +7
    OMG....such utter ignorance! Sure you can force a boys foreskin back just like you are recommending....and then you are the guilty one for causing his problems! Smegma actually means soap in Greek....and wow, yes, it actually cleans the glans, but you wouldn't know a thing about that. You are just really sexist by claiming that boys are incapable of caring for themselves.....and it's so ridiculous!
  • atti.tude 3357839 2012/07/08 10:16:35
    atti.tude
    there is a difference between forcably retracting and cleaning. and last time i checked deadskin cells in a warm moist place is wonderful breeding grounds for bacteria, not breeding grounds for soap. In fact, people typically bathe to remove dead skin cells and other yuck, just saying.
    boys are capable of cleaning themselves, but young boys are notorious for avoiding it at all costs.
  • KoolGuyL atti.tude 2012/07/10 18:09:40
    KoolGuyL
    +6
    I have a foreskin, and I have yet to get any infection. Every year, many infants suffer a botched circumcision, which can lead to complications which can lead to DEATH. It takes two seconds to clean a uncircumcised penis. You obviously have NO IDEA what you are talking about. You don't even know your own anatomy.
  • Brian KoolGuyL 17 minutes ago
    Brian
    How could he know a part of his anatomy that has been amputated unnecessarily.
  • 3357839 atti.tude 2012/07/07 23:10:24
    3357839
    +7
    Ha Ha Ha.....you should shut up and do your homework! well maybe you don't have a foreskin and you were born with a birth defect, who knows? You really should check yourself out! Nature is smarter than you thank goodness.....and would not be putting foreskins on males for no reason. Maybe you think you are smarter than nature? wow. Boys are just as capable of taking care of themselves as girls. And please, girls have way more folds of skin and places to clean than boys....as well as get way more "infections" than boys, but I don't see you advocating to cut on little girls. wow. You are so ignorant it's tragic. Please, please educate yourself, your ignorance and sexism is disturbing.
  • atti.tude 3357839 2012/07/08 10:12:21
    atti.tude
    classic responce. you don't have any thing good to say so you attack my person. Girls do not have the luxury of just going where ever they want as little boys are. it's not sexist because it's irrelevant to bring girls into this. The anatomy is entirely different. plus every girl I know uses toilet paper to wipe herself after she urinates, i cannot say the same for boys.
  • 3357839 atti.tude 2012/07/21 22:32:21
    3357839
    +3
    no it is entirely relevant....and you are completely sexist.....genital cutting is genital cutting and it doesn't matter what sex a person is. You should do some research on male and female anatomy.....you might learn something.
  • jojoneli76 atti.tude 2013/05/06 17:24:21
  • 3357839 atti.tude 2012/07/07 23:03:27
  • atti.tude 3357839 2012/07/08 10:36:01
    atti.tude
    Once again trying to beat me down. You know, repeating yourself 3 times doesn't make me an idiot or a sexist or any of those other attacks on my person, it just means that your response has cracks in it and because you don't have a good reply you take to trying to intimidate me by attacking me instead of being able to discuss this.
    You can call me all sorts of names, but when you come down to it it's not hurting me. i understand that you don't agree with me. i got that from your first post.
  • Roy Mun... 3357839 2012/07/09 04:01:43
    Roy Munson **SL, BD**
    booooo! thumbs down to that!
  • dallasjoe atti.tude 2012/07/09 15:46:20
    dallasjoe
    +5
    leave it up to the child to decide at age 18 You know that it is against Federal Law in the US to Female alteratrion of Sexual organs even if it is a Religoius purpose Funy how the woman love to cut OUR BODIES you Know

2015/05/27 16:06:42