Should Child Circumcision Be Allowed?

Circumcision has been a religious tradition for many years, but has often been the subject of controversy because of the effect it could potentially have on children. On Tuesday, a German court ruled that child circumcision can be classified as "grievous bodily harm." The issue went to court when a 4-year-old boy began bleeding profusely as the result of a circumcision. Naturally, religious communities that practice circumcision are upset.

The court ruled, "[The] fundamental right of the child to bodily integrity outweighed the fundamental rights of the parents ... The religious freedom of the parents and their right to educate their child would not be unacceptably compromised, if they were obliged to wait until the child could himself decide to be circumcised."

In response, the head of the Central Committee of Jews said the ruling is "an unprecedented and dramatic intervention in the right of religious communities to self-determination ... [an] outrageous and insensitive act. Circumcision of newborn boys is a fixed part of the Jewish religion and has been practiced worldwide for centuries."

• xcheshirecat 2012/06/28 23:19:19
    xcheshirecat
    +41
    religious freedom is about the baby's religion. I don't see how he can have one at that age...

Baby have the right, like any other human, of body integrity

• Till Benz 2014/02/28 00:44:22
    Till Benz
    +1
    Individual freedom
    - but not the choice about the own genital - including the sexual and religious meaning of circumcision?
    Human rights
    - but a child can be hold down to cut off a part of it, under great and enduring pain?
    A religious need?
    Vayikra (Moshe 3) 12,3: The child is to be circumcised the eight day.
    12, 6: Sacrifice a pigeon and a one year old sheep, the sheep as burnd offering.
    When will you follow the other demands?
    Time has come for rethinking and religions can change. That´s there secret how to stay useful for thousands of years.
  • Marek 2013/05/25 10:38:19
    Marek
    +1
    I think it is a child abuse needlessly performing painful but useless procedure just to satisfy some stupid religious superstition.
  • Mira 2013/05/06 18:39:40
    Mira
    +2
    Everyone should have the right to the body they were born with. If a grown man wants to be circumcised he should have that option as an adult. It is wrong to cut healthy functional tissue off a baby or child.
  • T. James H 2013/04/09 01:28:23
  • Cleo 2012/10/12 22:49:51
    Cleo
    +1
    My stepfather had me circumsized before I went into puberty. However, there are ways to restore the foreskin, which is using paper tape to pull up over the head from the shaft. It is working for me.
    Guys if you want to be like you were intended to do try it.

Cheath
  • 3357839 Cleo 2012/10/13 22:20:48
    3357839
    +1
    oh that must have been horrible. why did you step father put you through that?
  • 3357839 Cleo 2012/12/09 06:28:38
    3357839
    +2
    that's terrible! why did he do that to you? Restoration can help, but you can never undo a circumcision and get that nerve laden foreskin back. It's so wrong.
  • Alfred ... Cleo 2013/04/24 02:40:11
    Alfred Schram
    Cleo, I am so glad that you are able to restore. Did you check www.RestoringForeskin.net and www.ForeskinRestoration.net? Both sites have a lot of information and helpful hints.
  • 3357839 Cleo 2013/06/10 02:50:29
    3357839
    Oh that is terrible! Why did your stepfather do that? I'm glad to hear you are restoring with favorable results......sadly the specialized nerve endings that nature created in foreskin can never be replaced. That is why it is so unethical to be amputating healthy tissue from non consenting infants.
  • Ricardo... Cleo 2013/06/10 04:16:18
    RicardoD Diaz
    www.norm.org
  • bigbatboy23 2012/08/30 20:25:32
    bigbatboy23
    +1
    its done for reasons, its keeps the penis cleaner.
  • 3357839 bigbatb... 2012/09/02 07:14:08
    3357839
    +4
    It keeps the penis cleaner? So does a shower! I suppose you are one who advocates for women to get their genitals cut and "trimmed up" ..... since it keeps their genitals cleaner? What a bunch of hooey. The "reasons" are all ridiculous. What is up with people who think nature made a mistake by putting that "dirty" foreskin on every baby boy??? wow.
  • bigbatb... 3357839 2012/09/02 18:43:45
    bigbatboy23
    i don't believe in female circumcision, but i do know it makes sex and masturbation more pleasurable for males if they are circumcised.
  • 3357839 bigbatb... 2012/09/09 07:29:02
    3357839
    +5
    that is not true. Nature put foreskin on males for a reason.....and that is so they wouldn't be needing artificial lubricants! Not only that, but one of the functions of the foreskin is for the ladies.....it makes sex more pleasurable without the pounding of a circumcised penis. It also makes sex more pleasurable for the man. Nature knew what it was doing when it put a prepuce on males and females....both sexes are born that way. More people in the U.S. need to learn about the normal, natural anatomy of the male. Look it up!
  • Mike Nash 3357839 2012/09/14 15:49:12
    Mike Nash
    +2
    Plus penises are more delicious when uncircumcised.
  • Cleo Mike Nash 2012/10/12 22:54:12
    Cleo
    +2
    Mike: You betcha! I sucked a lot of penises when I lived in San Francisco and foreskin gives a nice, wet head, and if there is too much smegma, it can always be wiped off with a Kleenex.

Cleo
  • Ron Bur... Cleo 2013/02/12 04:23:25
    Ron Burgundy "Gentleman Lover"
    O.o
  • Maddy R... bigbatb... 2012/12/06 00:45:13
    Maddy Rupert
    +3
    Haha, no. Circumcised men lose about 20,000 nerve endings. FOREVER. They have to use lube of some variety pretty much any time they want to get busy, or risk tearing delicate skin. They're also more prone to erectile dysfunction in their 20s and 30s. You tell me how that makes sex and masturbation more pleasurable. And these are simple facts.

Anecdotally, I've been with cut and intact guys. The cut guys were worse in bed than the intact guys, hands down. And one of the guys who'd been cut as a teen (by choice, and with plenty of pain medication along the way) told me that he felt less pleasure now than he did before being circumcised. :/
  • Niels J... bigbatb... 2013/05/06 08:31:56
    Niels J. Plougmann
    +3
    Ignorant lies - how can remowing all those nerves and making the glans become dry skin increase pleasure? Do you sell lube for a living?
  • No One bigbatb... 2013/03/04 21:34:37
    No One
    It is cleaner because it has been practiced for so long that people have forgoten how to properly take care of a forskin. Many people who aren't circumcised do what they shouldn't do in order to clean their forskin out of ignorance. For instance if you have a child and keep that child intact then you aren't supposed to pull back the forskin as it's attached but many parents are instructed to pull it back to "clean" it even though that is what causes infections. Also many people think they are supposed to wash out their forskin with sope even though is actually what not to do. So basically most infections of the forskin are caused by ignorance of how to take care of it and not the forskin it self.
  • Niels J... bigbatb... 2013/05/06 08:36:19
    Niels J. Plougmann
    +2
    Sure! This is why we cut of hands and extract all the teeth - instead of washing our hands and brushing our teeth. Makes life so much more cleaner.
  • Michael Taylor 2012/08/27 09:56:11
    Michael Taylor
    +4
    Hell no. I think my parents should have gotten 15 years and been registered sex offenders for this. F####### psychos!
  • bigbatb... Michael... 2012/09/02 18:46:15
    bigbatboy23
    so your parents had you circumside.
  • Ron Bur... Michael... 2012/09/11 04:08:44
    Ron Burgundy "Gentleman Lover"
    wtf?? omfg i don't believe you just said that
  • Tastentier 2012/08/08 20:28:02 (edited)
    Tastentier
    +6
    So, this court rule is an "outrageous and insensitive act" according to the Central Committee of Jews? Funny, that's exactly how I feel about circumcision without medical necessity.

Btw, the largest group that is affected by this law are German Muslims, who also practice this gruesome tradition. There are more than 4 million Muslims in Germany, but less than 200,000 Jews. It's ridiculous to try and paint this court decision as anti-Semitic. And religion is no excuse for human rights violations anyway. Forbidding people to cut body parts off their infant children has nothing to do with discrimination.
  • 3357839 Tastentier 2012/08/25 22:41:12
    3357839
    +2
    Exactly.....finally someone thinking logically!!!!!!
  • Bazinga! 2012/08/02 21:35:03
    Bazinga!
    +4
    Child circumcision should only be allowed for medical reasons.
  • 3357839 Bazinga! 2012/08/04 20:27:22
    3357839
    +2
    Which are rare.....
  • Bazinga! 3357839 2012/08/04 20:58:09
    Bazinga!
    +1
    Besides helping in the protection of sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV / AIDS, it is believed that male circumcision also ensures good hygiene.
  • Tastentier Bazinga! 2012/08/08 20:33:20
    Tastentier
    +8
    I believe that washing ensures good hygiene :) When I was a kid, I often forgot to wash myself behind the ears, but my parents never tried to cut them off.
  • Bazinga! Tastentier 2012/08/09 19:25:02
    Bazinga!
    +1
    Well, thats because you can reach your behind the ears area and, eventually, wash it. Now, try to wash inside an excessive long foreskin. You can't do it because it is too long. And the fact that you can't wash in that area will drive to the accumulation of secretions that WON'T ensure a good hygiene. If you don't believe it, then go Google it :)
  • Tastentier Bazinga! 2012/08/09 21:17:30
    Tastentier
    +6
    I'm sorry, but that isn't true. I happen to be the proud owner of an intact foreskin and I never had any trouble cleaning myself underneath. No matter how long the foreskin is, it can be completely rolled back over the glans penis, and pulled further back over the shaft.

This also happens naturally during intercourse, which serves a very important purpose: When the penis is pulled back during intercourse, the foreskin rolls back forward and acts as a seal that prevents the natural vaginal lubrication from dripping out. Whereas the coronal ridge around the glans of a circumcised penis draws the lubrication out of the vagina. This can lead to vaginal dryness and chafing.

Anyway, there is a lot of deliberate misinformation on the internet. After all, American doctors need to somehow justify the needless torture and mutilation of infants. The only reason for a circumcision is a severe case of phimosis that can't be fixed by stretching the foreskin.

PS: The vast majority of European men have an intact foreskin. If you compare the rate of STDs and penile cancer to that of the USA, you won't see any difference. There really is no medical benefit to circumcision.
  • 3357839 Bazinga! 2012/08/25 22:45:32
    3357839
    +3
    Google it???? Are you serious? Maybe you should volunteer yourself for some circumcision of your labias! Or perhaps you think you are immune to secretions and lazy hygiene. Perhaps you can reach your vulva, but you can't see it without a mirror.....so how DO you wash it and keep yourself clean??? wow.
  • Bazinga! 3357839 2012/08/26 21:21:44 (edited)
    Bazinga!
    +1
    Unfortunly my dear, I am physically disabled of reaching my vulva and I cannot wash it or clean it myself. It's a rare disease, you know? But pherhaps you could hep me in that humble task, since you seem to by such a good Samaritan -.-
    I'm sorry, I've never been realy good with sarcasm. Anyway, there is in fact one disease (its called Phymoses) in which the foreskin can not be fully retracted to fully expose the glans. And this drives to the accumulation of secretions that won't ensure a good hygiene. Its not called lack of hygiene, its a disease. Sure there's other methods to heal it, but if it's a severe case of phymoses, you need to be circuncised to cure it. And yes, I definitly think you should Google it :)
  • 3357839 Bazinga! 2012/09/02 07:22:14
    3357839
    +4
    BTW...it's called Phimosis...use your spell check. And only in unusual and severe cases as an adult is cutting it the solution. And it's not a "disease" so please look it up...it's a "condition"....wow. Cutting genitals of infants is the most ridiculous practice. Nature has things well planned out and foreskin has important functions. That is another thing you really need to look up! Also, I never offered to assist with your "hygiene"....hopefully you can take care of that yourself without getting it cut on. It's really quite painful......too bad you can't ask an infant how painful it is.....wow.
  • Bazinga! 3357839 2012/09/02 14:27:58 (edited)
    Bazinga!
    +1
    LOL? excuse me, I never said that circuncision was an okay" practise. And I totally disagree that it should be done in newly born babies. And I disagree even more when it is done with newly born babies due to religion.It is irrational for me and, as a matter of fact, I voted "No" on this pole. I only said that it is "Ok" doing it for medical reasons and thats where that desiase (or condition) called phymoses (or phimosis) gets into this conversation. So spare me your sermon, please. BTW, im sorry for my bad spelling, english is not my native language.
  • Vénus Bazinga! 2012/09/02 21:09:18
    Vénus
    +1
    É assim mesmo! E ainda atreve-se de criticar o teu "bad spelling"! Horrorosa...
  • Bazinga! Vénus 2012/09/02 23:43:52
    Bazinga!
    +1
    É mesmo. É mostrar a estes "hooligans" americanos quem é que manda aqui!
  • 3357839 Bazinga! 2012/09/09 07:34:59
    3357839
    +3
    I agree that it should only EVER be done as a last resort for a confirmed valid medical necessity. Then that is something we agree on. And only on a fully informed consent, hopefully by the owner of the penis.
  • Bazinga! 3357839 2012/09/09 20:13:02
    Bazinga!
    ;D

2014/07/23 05:48:27