Should charges be brought against either or both the people responsible for the child in the commercial washing machine?

Civic Minded 2012/05/25 00:24:27
Now we learn from the mother of the toddler who was trapped in the commercial washer that her child was in the care of a babysitter. The mother and father both want the babysitter and her male friend prosecuted. Apparently the police were not planning on prosecuting either because there was no "intent" to harm the child. Should either or both the babysitter and the man who actually placed the child in the washer be charged with child endangerment or some other crime?

• Jenn 2012/05/25 07:23:58 (edited)
    Yes! At the very least there should be a child endangerment charge.
    Jenn
    +9
    That was the stupidest thing, I have ever heard of..and I think anyone involved or allowed it to happen, should be put in jail..anyone with any sense would never stick a child in a machine,it would make you wonder if there was a criminal intent..and thank God the child was alright, it could have ended in a tragedy..

I listened to the interview of the mother..and I was shocked at the stoopid questions this mother was asked by that news reporter, I could not think of her name..I have seen her many times, but what really dum questions she asked that child's mother..she act like she was surprised because that mother wanted to file charges..If I had been that child's mother, I would have found some of her questions offensive

• Boo 2012/05/30 21:03:14
    Boo
    The facts should be ascertained before charges are brought against anyone. It was a terrible idea, but since no real harm came to the child I question if criminal charges are appropriate.
  • Civic M... Boo 2012/05/31 04:01:33
    Civic Minded
    If someone is terrorized, should criminal charges be brought? If someone grabs you and stick you in a closed environment without you having any say in the matter, has a crime been perpetrated against you? A small child must trust the adults looking after him or her for their safety. This relationship was not upheld by the adults. They endangered his life and his psychological well-being. You can't always see what harm was done. It unfolds in behavioral issues over time.
  • Boo Civic M... 2012/05/31 15:38:05
    Boo
    We teach children every day NOT to trust--don't talk to strangers, never take candy or a ride from a stranger, etc., etc. They are encouraged these days to snitch on their parents for things that are questionably "abusive." Priests and teachers often cannot be "trusted" but are in positions of power and authority anyway! Get real. Yes, the child may have been temporarily traumatized, but was quickly rescued, and if this is handled right, it will not leave any long term scars. She probably has learned NOT TO TRUST her babysitter, and that may carry forward to the next babysitter. Making a mountain out of a mole hill isn't justice!
  • Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/28 23:20:06
    No. This was just a terrible idea gone wrong.
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    No, of course not! If we started filing charges against everyone that did something stupid, not only would 90% of Americans be in court all the time, but there wouldn't be anything worth watching on "America's Funniest Videos" tv show!

America s Funniest Videos  tv
  • irish 2012/05/28 13:57:27
    I think ... (Please leave a comment)
    irish
    +1
    it was an accident,thats why they are called accidents. it wasn't intentional.
  • Arel 2012/05/27 17:16:06
    Arel
    +1
    Dumbassedness is no excuse.
  • beach bum 2012/05/26 22:03:19
    beach bum
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/05/26 21:14:04
    Inquisitve Kat
    +2
    Pretty sure "intent" doesn't dismiss liability.
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/05/26 20:52:24 (edited)
    **StarzAbove**
    +2
    What were they thinking of? Those people are sick and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. That poor child will be traumatized from that horrible event.
  • D D **Starz... 2012/05/27 12:14:00
    D D
    +2
    I think the child will probably have claustrophobia.
  • **Starz... D D 2012/05/27 12:14:57
    **StarzAbove**
    +1
    I'm sure, what an awful thing to have happen to a child.
  • D D **Starz... 2012/05/27 12:21:35
    D D
    +2
    I have claustrophobia and I don't like it.
  • **Starz... D D 2012/05/27 13:22:38
    **StarzAbove**
    +1
    So do I, big time. And it's a horrible feeling.
  • Adakin ... D D 2012/05/28 23:26:14
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    so what do you do? Take the stairs all the time? or can you ride in an elevator?

My hubby was the XO of a submarine, and I've taken the tour of several... they are full of extremely cramped quarters and working spaces, but the guys (and now gals) that go to sea for months on those boats say they get used to living in that envirionment.
    nuclear submarine
  • Civic M... Adakin ... 2012/05/29 00:56:10
    Civic Minded
    My husband has also served on board a submarine. Try filling it with water and rolling it over and over and see how well that is tolerated. Your comment about this has nothing whatever to do with the life threatening act that was committed against this helpless child.
  • Adakin ... Civic M... 2012/05/29 01:01:10
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    But it has everything to do with the claustrophobia noted by "DD" regarding "StarsAbove" when she said that suffering from that ailment was horrible. The comment was regarding cramped spaces and how people deal with it. I'm sorry if you were not able to follow along in our discussion.
  • Civic M... Adakin ... 2012/05/29 03:47:12
    Civic Minded
    +1
    I follow just fine. I think you trivialized the whole matter beginning with your first comment.
  • D D Civic M... 2012/05/29 13:56:29
    D D
    +1
    She wrote it as a reply to me.
  • Civic M... D D 2012/05/29 21:57:15
    Civic Minded
    I know. See my response above.
  • D D Adakin ... 2012/05/29 13:55:23
    D D
    I can ride in an elevator but I want to get off it ASAP. I got locked in a bathroom for a short time and I started feeling the panic.
  • Adakin ... D D 2012/05/29 18:50:11
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for the comment.. AV
  • Swampdog PWCM 2012/05/26 16:42:07
    Swampdog PWCM
    +2
    Charge the mother, and the man and the baby sitter! Damn, look at what it did to the kids hair!
  • DeeB Swampdo... 2012/05/28 14:17:18
    DeeB
    +1
    LOL! About the hair! But tell me you are kidding about charging anyone for being stupid. The whole country might be in jail , look around. Oh that's right, we are in jail!
  • Swampdo... DeeB 2012/05/28 17:35:19
    Swampdog PWCM
    +1
    The man put the child in the washer and the sitter couldn't open the washer after it started. Where's Jesse and AL??
  • DeeB Swampdo... 2012/05/28 17:40:28
    DeeB
    +1
    Now that is a good question!! LOL!
  • Gloria 2012/05/26 12:47:24
    Gloria
    +2
    The very thought of being in a washing machine creeps me out.
  • rknothead 2012/05/26 12:40:13
    I think ... (Please leave a comment)
    rknothead
    +2
    I think there's probably more to this then we are seeing. Just who are these people and who are the babysitters and how did the parents choose them in the first place? They may have some responsibility in this case. Either way its sad that kids would even think of doing such a thing to a toddler.
  • Texas Gal 2012/05/26 00:55:44
    Texas Gal
    +5
    I saw the video, and I don't know what the guy was thinking - if he thought the toddler would think it was fun or what - but that was a total lack of common sense - no matter what he was thinking - and the woman saw what he was doing and didn't stop him. If I understood correctly, the woman was a friend of the mother and was babysitting. She didn't even tell the mother what had happened -- the mother saw it on the news that night. They better count their lucky stars that that child wasn't hurt severely or killed. I'm concerned that the child will be traumatized. CPS needs to get involved.
  • Civic M... Texas Gal 2012/05/26 01:52:53
    Civic Minded
    +2
    Probably won't trust people and won't want to go to the laundromat ever again.
  • Texas Gal Civic M... 2012/05/26 01:55:23
    Texas Gal
    +2
    Poor baby -- I feel so bad for the child. Makes me want to take the two adults and put them each in one of those big boy washers -- let them take a ride and see how they like it.
  • D D Texas Gal 2012/05/27 12:17:01
    D D
    +1
    What do you expect from a man? They do stupid things. They think Homer and Peter Griffin are role models.
  • Texas Gal D D 2012/05/27 16:23:24
    Texas Gal
    +1
    Still - no excuse for doing something like that to a child -- stupid, stupid, stupid.
  • D D Texas Gal 2012/05/27 17:04:47
    D D
    +2
    It isn't an excuse. It is the reason.
  • Texas Gal D D 2012/05/27 21:03:24
    Texas Gal
    +1
    It just baffles me -- at the lack of common sense.
  • ruthannhausman 2012/05/25 23:44:22
    I think ... (Please leave a comment)
    ruthannhausman
    Judging by what that video showed me, I think that guy -- and the woman too -- is probably already punished by the humiliation for doing something so stupid. But it just appeared to me that the man was trying to amuse and play with the kid and intended no harm. Just watch his reaction when things went sour. That wasn't the reaction of a mean or dangerous individual. Lots of nasty things happen to children from innocent stupidity. Frankly, I would never have allowed the kid to get into that machine, period, let alone put him there myself. However, were I to have done that, I would have thought I would be able to open those doors and get him out ASAP if I wanted to. Heck, I do that all the time with my laundry when I want to add something or take something out. I don't think any kind of legal action is necessary.
  • 4dc 2012/05/25 22:35:56 (edited)
    4dc
    +1
    yes...look what it did to the kid's hair...that's trauma
  • Jim 2012/05/25 22:07:22
    Jim
    They should be put in prison for a long long time. This child would have died. If he had survived the wash cycle, the spin cycle would have killed him. This act is gross negligence. If this were my child, those two people would disappear permanently.
  • teigan 2012/05/25 21:40:42
    teigan
    +2
    They did endanger the child and should be prosecuted.
  • jon 2012/05/25 17:56:12
    I think ... (Please leave a comment)
    jon
    I think the dip who did it needs taken out behind the store and horse whipped.
  • Jim jon 2012/05/25 22:08:24
    Jim
    Not good enough. He needs to be eating lead.

2014/07/31 00:19:49