Should Cell Phone Use During Driving Be Completely Banned?

Talking on your cell phone is already illegal in some states, but on Tuesday the National Transportation Board suggested all states ban the practice, and extend the law to include all portable electronic devices -- including the use of hands-free devices, such as Bluetooth headsets, and texting.

According to The Associated Press, the recommendation was made after reviewing a fatal accident that occurred in Missouri last August. Reports determined texting had been the cause of the accident after finding the 19-year-old involved had sent 11 texts in the 11 minutes before the accident happened. The truck in front of him had slowed down for construction, and he slammed into the back of it, followed by two school buses. The 19-year-old and one 15-year-old student were killed in the accident, while 38 others sustained injuries.

• Rob 2011/12/13 22:53:38
    Rob
    +24
    I am fully opposed to any law banning cell phones while driving. First of all, they are no more dangerous than talking to a passenger. Second, far more dangerous things like using the radio, changing CDs, smoking, and eating are legal. Third, a cell phone is so much more than a phone. It's a GPS device, it's a radio, it's a compass, and so on.

• xifidieyoung 2012/04/17 23:14:19
    xifidieyoung
    They cause so many accidents every day.
  • Laoz496 2012/03/30 00:11:49
    Laoz496
    It kills too many people, maybe they should think about it and wear BLUETOOTH instead.
  • Nat Turner 2012/03/21 18:46:20
    Nat Turner
    That kills millions of kids a year.
  • BuggaBoo 2012/03/04 23:14:15
  • supercar55 2012/03/03 23:01:21
  • Allen911 2012/01/14 22:11:46
    Allen911
    +1
    You might as well have a JACK N COKE in the other hand! Put down your phone and watch the damn road!
  • moo 2012/01/13 17:55:57
    moo
    No matter what if it does get banned completely I will still talk on my cell while driving. No body is gonna stop me from doing this not even the Government, police. I will talk away.
  • Aakash Sharma 2012/01/11 13:46:44
    Aakash Sharma
    200,000 crashes each year due to texting while driving.
    500,000 injuries yearly due to someone texting while driving. zzz
  • bye im out sodahead 2012/01/08 05:19:39
    bye im out sodahead
    hate it ,hate,it .i always turn phone of when i get in car
  • Zach Tool 2012/01/03 19:31:43
    Zach Tool
    and during dinner, conversations with others, work, school, we others have to hear your conversations. most places......
  • Alvin 2012/01/02 16:37:09
    Alvin
    No question about it.
  • yokeddruid 2012/01/01 19:18:00
    yokeddruid
    they already have a law on the books it's called reckless driving and careless driving. why do we need another law on the books. when this one is already covered.
  • Sabrena Heimes 2012/01/01 07:16:44
    Sabrena Heimes
    meant yes.
  • THE ENIGMA 2011/12/27 09:26:53
    THE ENIGMA
    for ur safety.....
  • Dan (Politicaly Incorrect) 2011/12/26 01:58:53
    Dan (Politicaly Incorrect)
    That is an individual decision. Most people are adult enough to know when and when not to use a cell phone. We don't need Big Brother to tell us.
  • Robbb Dan (Po... 2011/12/26 03:25:10
    Robbb
    You probably think the same way about drink driving as well. I think we do need big brother to stop the ratbags from killing us of as a result of their honest and momentary misjudgements.
  • Dan (Po... Robbb 2011/12/26 04:12:36
    Dan (Politicaly Incorrect)
    That's the problem with Liberal thinking. They don't want to take thier own responsibility fir thier actions. Just lie a little child, they want Mommy to feed them, wipe thier asses, tell them everything is ok and tuck them in bed.
    Yes drunk drving is wrong, that's why I don't do it. I don't need Big Brother to tell me how to live my life. Tell me were in the Constitution does that power come from?
  • Robbb Dan (Po... 2011/12/26 05:47:02
    Robbb
    No my thinking is that I don't ant to get maimed or killed by you fumbling about on a mobile phone rather then concentrating on your driving which is your first responsibility. mommy cant cut me out of my car that you just wrecked because you have the right to be an idiot. and why is it that you think drunk driving is wrong a drunk is still responsible for his own actions just ask the people that have been killed by them.
  • Dan (Po... Robbb 2011/12/26 12:53:36 (edited)
    Dan (Politicaly Incorrect)
    That's right, a drunk driver is responsible for his own actions. So is a person talking on a cell phone. If I talk on a cell phone. I don't do it when I am in high traffic and it requires my full attention. However if I am the only car on the road or the car in front of me is a mile ahead. I see NO problem with talking on the phone. That is called taking responsibility and using judgment. Just because of the actions of a few idiots why should everyone else pay? Besides, how are they going to enforce such a law at night or when someone is using a speaker phone? I will continue to use my phone and drive and I will do it safely as I have for many years thank you very much. Now, try and stop me. Hahaha
  • Robbb Dan (Po... 2011/12/26 14:59:23
    Robbb
    I wont try to stop an I never said I would. However you are wrong, You have no intention of not answering your phone regardless of traffic conditions and you don't know what you are talking about where it concerns the effect people holding onto a phone is concerned while they are driving, because you are just plain too stupid. but please don't take that as an insult it is just an observation. one that cant be avoided. Your type reminds me of the guy sitting in the gutter blubbering about how he didn't mean to run over the little kid because he wasn't concentrating on his driving for a moment.
  • Dan (Po... Robbb 2011/12/28 03:23:17
    Dan (Politicaly Incorrect)
    I am right, and if my phone rings in a high traffic situation and will say call back later. Simple common sence, it really does work if you use it.
  • Robbb Dan (Po... 2011/12/28 11:17:26
    Robbb
    You would be one of the few in that case.
  • Luckydog38 2011/12/24 23:02:55
    Luckydog38
    But I am in favor of some controls. I have seen some pretty idiotic actions while driving. Voice command makes this doable. It's the poking and texting that scares me the most. The phone company probably has the technology to put a defeat and off if the phone senses it is moving over 20 mph on texting and dialing.
  • dallasjoe 2011/12/24 16:31:02
    dallasjoe
    you are in an accide while on the phone your fault always
  • Vis Vires 2011/12/22 05:25:23
    Vis Vires
    +1
    Talking or texting - then having an accident because of it - IS NO ACCIDENT! A good attorney can prove it.
  • dallasjoe Vis Vires 2011/12/24 16:32:36
    dallasjoe
    where are you going to find an Honest Attorney sorry you said GOOD Me BAD
  • KaiCaramelldansen 2011/12/21 17:40:43
    KaiCaramelldansen
    +1
    Yes, cops gave people to many chances to wise up. Now, it's take away.
  • Benjamin Best 2011/12/20 23:15:38
    Benjamin Best
    As long as you use a 'hands free' device to make it safe I don't see anything wrong with phone use while driving.
  • Kent Harper 2011/12/20 22:42:29
    Kent Harper
    +1
    Perhaps not banned, but certainly only allowed in the back seat or something like that.
  • sockpuppet 2011/12/20 21:58:04
    sockpuppet
    +1
    And in libraries, as well.
  • huttyputt 2011/12/20 21:53:22
    huttyputt
    +2
    Any form of electronic communication should be totally banned while driving. Penalties need to be so severe as to be a complete deterrent. I should have a right to safe use of the highway system and we all know that wireless communication takes lives.
  • Mini Twuby 2011/12/20 21:28:34
    Mini Twuby
    What happens if there is an emergency!?!? Like if someone gets seriously injured? I mean it's bad to talk while driving but maybe instead they could just pull over and talk :P
  • siouxthegal 2011/12/20 20:54:52
    siouxthegal
    +1
    They really need to BAN the texting as most aren't even watching the road!! Geez, what did we do before cell phones? I know they are useful but they are also very much abused as most things today.
  • Nadia 2011/12/20 19:46:02
    Nadia
    +1
    Yes! My mom texts and drives and I hate it!
  • marylou5 Nadia 2011/12/22 06:45:48
    marylou5
    I would refuse to ride with her and I'd tell her she is endangering your life...guilt her, big time. She's behaving like an idiot! She will kill herself, you or a stranger and cry crocodile tears when it is too late!
    NO ONE needs to text anyone while driving ever!!!
  • ScottyG - Faqueue 2011/12/20 19:42:46
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    But laws that infringe on American rights should. That's pretty much all the liberals have to offer, so best to do away with liberals.
  • siouxth... ScottyG... 2011/12/20 20:57:57
    siouxthegal
    +2
    You are sounding like a complete idiot.....sorry but your answer is stupid. Maybe you would feel differently if someone in your family or someone you love gets killed and why?? Because they were texting or on cell in a ferocious conversation. How old are you anyway?
  • ScottyG... siouxth... 2011/12/20 21:03:28
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +1
    Leave it up to the states not the feds. Too many intrusions on my rights. I say take ALL gadgets out of cars period. Cars are for driving not entertainment. But I am tired of government telling me what to do.

More laws, more regulation, more taxes = fewer rights, fewer dollars, and no freedom.

And I am old enough to remember B/W TV.
  • Vis Vires ScottyG... 2011/12/22 05:00:54
    Vis Vires
    +1
    When someone infringes on MY rights (i.e., moving in My lane) while texting, dialing, or talking, that's when they have abused their right to drive. If someone rams your dang car while their talking/texting, who are you gonna blame - if you survive? You're too old to "live for the moment" and should know better. You must be a liberal.
  • ScottyG... Vis Vires 2011/12/22 16:15:50
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    I'm a life long republican. And studies have already show that in states where cell phones have been outlawed, there is a rise in phone related accidents and deaths .
    This is due to those who try to hide the use of phones in their vehicles. They pay less attention to the actual task at hand, driving, and focus on getting away with the secret texts, etc.

So given that fact what is your stance now? I do like the idea of having ALL devices removed altogether or automatically deactivated when the car is in gear.

If you put a law in place that just taunts them into being more devious, you risk a greater problem.

Like the red light cameras. People pay more attention to not getting caught blowing a red light than they do to the possible risks it poses to other drivers not being observant enough to catch themselves before they hit the vehicle in front of them trying to avoid a ticket.

And don't worry about how old I am. Worry about your lack of vision. Blind are those who have such narrow views.

2014/10/31 05:43:31