Should Celebrity Endorsements of Political Candidates Matter?

HAHAJKDOTCOM 2012/09/14 18:00:00
Snoop Lion and other "celebrities" are endorsing political candidates. Should they?

HAHAJK.COM reports:
As November draws closer and the negative political ads from both sides increase in intensity, so will the number of celebrity endorsements for each candidate.

negative political ads sides increase intensity number celebrity endorsements candidate

Read More: http://hahajk.com/entertainment/entertainers-and-t...

• Bunk11 2012/09/16 02:17:38
    Nope.
    Bunk11
    +17
    Most of them have the brains of garden snails and the political wisdom of 8-year-olds. Any one who listens to celebrities about politics is too stupid to vote.

• Coffeenoir 2012/09/17 15:57:35
    Nope.
    Coffeenoir
    +1
    No more than any one else's.
  • Ashley 2012/09/17 15:45:11
    Nope.
    Ashley
    +3
    I vote based on candidate performance. Celebrities have no affect on my vote.
  • Tommy 2012/09/17 15:41:38
    Nope.
    Tommy
    +2
    Now why would anyone listen to a celeb ? Most of them are goofy as a bed bug..
  • johnpar 2012/09/17 15:41:22
    Nope.
    johnpar
    +1
    They certainly have the right to express their opinion, just like every one else. I think it's the height of arrogance for the "stars" to testify before congressional committees on farm policy, immigration, etc. The only thing most of them are experts on is being overpaid and overrated, IMHO.
  • windsailor 2012/09/17 15:36:45
    Nope.
    windsailor
    +2
    Who cares, why care? Being an actor, singer or entertainer doesn't create any political intelligence. Their purpose is to get additional publicity for themselves.
  • monroe7 2012/09/17 15:35:43
    Nope.
    monroe7
    +1
    Dont care what a celeb thinks, most of them don't live in the real world anymore. Its just another way to promote themselves.
  • LWS 2012/09/17 15:22:53
    Nope.
    LWS
    +2
    Just because they are famous doesn't mean they have any brains and know what they are endorsing. It's all about the hype. I endorse what I believe in, not because someone else does. Money is usually the motive behind endorsements anyway.
  • Sperry23 2012/09/17 15:20:32
    Nope.
    Sperry23
    +1
    They shouldn't but the American voters of all party affiliation are such sheep that they'll follow anyone's recommendation if the person is even remotely famous.

Americans hate to do their own thinking, much less any research.
  • Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA 2012/09/17 15:18:48
    Nope.
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Why on earth should an actors opinion be held in high esteem ??? does something about acting make them more intelegent about government affairs and politics than others...
  • Larry M 2012/09/17 15:07:19 (edited)
    Nope.
    Larry M
    +1
    It's a quick way of losing half of those who would pay to see their movies or shows since America is split just about equally for both sides. A few actually live the parts they play like Clint, but most are nothing like the roles that were written for them or who ever gets the role. To many people who see them play a neat character imagined by a creative mind and actually believe that is who they are.
  • Mytstar... Larry M 2012/09/17 15:26:37
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Oh please ...Clint Eastwood is not the man that his characters played...no actor is...what I saw when I watched Clint do his stint with the empty chair...was a guy that is way past his prime in real life...and maybe the rest of us should take that into consideration when throwing stones
  • windsailor Mytstar... 2012/09/17 15:38:43
    windsailor
    +4
    Wisdom comes with age, maybe that's why Obama hasn't gotten there yet.
  • Larry M Mytstar... 2012/09/18 02:05:24
    Larry M
    Ok, disregard Clint. That's ok with me. The point is actors play roles that were written, it isn't them. They are not grounded in reality. To many people think actors are like the characters they play.
  • Mytstar... Larry M 2012/10/13 03:54:53
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    I like Clint Eastwood....there is no disrespect toward him from me....but as you get older ...sometimes the younger generation ....doesnt quite get the sense of humor that an older person might have...like Clint Eastwoods take on the empty chair ...some of us understood what he was getting at and ...that it came with his age.... you know like ...pull my finger...old people ...gotta love um
  • Larry M Mytstar... 2012/10/13 15:20:33 (edited)
    Larry M
    No actor is the character that they play and I pointed that out in some great detail, not sure if it was in this string or another but you are dead on. They simply are acting out the imagination of someone who has the talent (some better than others) to develop a character that we either love or hate. It is not who they are. My point was that Clint went on to be Mayor of Carmel California for some amount of terms and according to what Iv'e read and seen he was a popular and good at it. In that respect he did become in a sense a character in real life. There is a new movies out that he is in, you won't see him looking senile or demented unless it is part of the script. His performance at the GOP was thought up as he went along with some sort of out line of what he wanted to say thought out in advance. In other words he created it as he went along. That is why it didn't go seamlessly and with out hesitation. It wasn't a script he memorized. In his new movie the words were memorized and enough take were made so it looked like he was doing it for the first time with out the hesitation. That's why they do the many retakes, they want it to look like it is just taking place although it is rehearsed many times. II know you were being kind and I appreciate that, thank you. But I don't see it in the same light of "pull my finger" Take care and God Bless you.
  • Lana Riley-Brown 2012/09/17 15:07:12
    Only if they were on a reality show.
    Lana Riley-Brown
    +2
    Yes they should be able to endorse as they are people too ! Like all of us they need to do what is in their best interest !
  • Mytstar... Lana Ri... 2012/09/17 15:34:10
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Yes they have the right to endorse like any one else...although anyone that would hold an actors opinion in higher esteem because they are an actor ...well thats where we get into trouble...because those same people the ones that idol these actors...they also have the right to vote...Idiot ..plus right to vote....equals political disaster
  • Larry M Lana Ri... 2012/10/13 15:33:20
    Larry M
    They do have the right to endorse any one they want, but because our country is currently about evenly divided they risk alienating half of their fans. It is their choice to take that risk. Read RubenRibnik's post below, I think that in most cases he is dead on in his thought process. There are so many people who are so smitten by these entertainers that they believe every word as gospel. That is very very dangerous.
  • RubenRibnik 2012/09/17 15:01:56
    Nope.
    RubenRibnik
    +2
    Celebs have no business in ploitics unless they are running. to many simple minded perple follw and hang on every word of some of these people, and others throw millions of dollars behind some big fools and end up causing more harm then good. When you live/work in the land of make believe, you want the people to make believe with you.
  • PapaBC 2012/09/17 15:01:06
    Nope.
    PapaBC
    +2
    Most Celebs have big egos and not to be trusted.
  • ART 2012/09/17 14:52:12
    Nope.
    ART
    +1
    most hollywood types support obama, some because they share his color, others because they feel guilty about making so much money
  • bigscottk 2012/09/17 14:50:42
    Nope.
    bigscottk
    +2
    Why in the world anyone would care why someone NOT living in the real world has to say about WHAT'S HAPPENING in the real world is beyond me!
  • Joe B. bigscottk 2012/09/17 15:15:22
    Joe B.
    I agree. Which is why I have no idea why anyone would listen to Mitt Romney.
  • windsailor Joe B. 2012/09/17 15:40:05
    windsailor
    Have you earned his money yet? If not your opinion is meaningless.
  • Larry M Joe B. 2012/09/18 15:43:29
    Larry M
    Because unlike a Constitutional Law Professor he has real life experience in making business work and Obama has none coupled with a naive philosophy that has never worked any where.
  • **Bessie** 2012/09/17 14:48:11
    Nope.
    **Bessie**
    +2
    Not a f'n bit, unless it is Clint Eastwood, of course!

:)

make my day clint eastwood
  • franny2001 2012/09/17 14:18:47
    Nope.
    franny2001
    +1
    They need to get over themselves.
  • Flamdingo 2012/09/17 14:09:12
    Nope.
    Flamdingo
    +1
    Not any more than any other average Americans endorsement, they live in a pretend world far from reality.
  • MichaelJ 2012/09/17 13:42:53
    Nope.
    MichaelJ
    +1
    Not if you have a brain of your own.
  • whipnet 2012/09/17 13:28:04
    Nope.
    whipnet
    +1
    They should actually mean less because they don't live in the real world.

*
  • jack_kazim 2012/09/17 12:33:37
  • mrdog 2012/09/17 09:52:13
    Nope.
    mrdog
    +2
    Meaningless to smart voters...bark
  • El Prez 2012/09/17 09:19:56
    Nope.
    El Prez
    +3
    Just another person. The press and some people make just too much of these things.
  • Pete 2012/09/17 08:04:52
    Nope.
    Pete
    Half the celebrities don't know what the hell they are supporting, they just need the expositor.
  • Mattynr 2012/09/17 07:39:29
    Nope.
    Mattynr
    +1
    Matter? If we are all voting "NO" then why does it matter? Why is it done? Pandering for donations is so fake.
  • william.turner 2012/09/17 06:33:50
    Nope.
    william.turner
    +3
    They are nothing more than modern day jesters, just here for my amusement. Who gives a flying [expletive removed] what they have to say off screen?
  • eliosc 2012/09/17 06:27:27
    Nope.
    eliosc
    +2
    Unless you are so stupid to be persuaded.

Most of the rich in Hollywood, music, entertainment, media, wall street, businesses, are in favor of Obama. So they don't feel like a regular and hard working person.
  • BigFig#9 2012/09/17 03:55:33
    Nope.
    BigFig#9
    +1
    With the very few exceptions of the ones who know what the Hell they're talking about and are invested in a political cause.... If Clooney has an endorsement to make (or Sean Penn) or a short list of others we know they've actually given some time and intellectual equity to a cause (whether you agree with those 2 examples or not).
  • timothy.hill.14 2012/09/17 02:51:47
    Nope.
    timothy.hill.14
    +1
    I don't follow celebs and I don't care what they say or do, but I don't think using one's fame for political influence is very good form. Think Jane Fonda on Vietnam. Hanoi Jane? Not to mention the bang up job Schwarzenegger did in California....yikes.
  • belle 2012/09/17 02:15:22
    Nope.
    belle
    +2
    Do you really think people like the kardashians, Snooki , Lady Gaga are people I am going to pay any attention too. never.

2014/10/24 12:01:59