Should bystanders attempt to stop crimes?

Ben 2012/08/14 12:19:31
There are always tales of bystanders tackling criminals themselve, such as one brave woman I've posted a video of below:

But should bystanders (By bystander I mean not the victim of the crime but someone nearby who's not being directly affected) be applauded for trying to help or are they just putting themselves in needless danger instead of leaving it to the police?

• Dwight PWCM 2012/08/14 16:29:39 (edited)
    People who do this are heroes and should be praised as such.
    Dwight PWCM
    I would not recomend anyone intervine in a crime, but when someone decides to help a crime victim I will express graditude. The next victim may be a friend or relative I care for.

(P.S. edit) That old woman has bigger balls than many men I know! Go Granny!!!
  • danila777 2012/08/14 16:27:06
    Undecided/Other
    danila777
    +1
    I'm on the fence with this one. In the area where I live we have a Subway that got robbed several times since we do not have our own police we have to wait to see who has an available officer. One day a guy decided to rob the Subway again, only this time there were 5 teenage boys in, they subdued him and sat on him until a police officer showed up. It has been about 5 years since then and no robberies in my area, once they see that the people are willing to fight back they move on.
  • Waldorf 2012/08/14 14:17:20
    Undecided/Other
    Waldorf
    +1
    It depends. Someone with a weapon is not necessarily free to intervene. The law is on the side of personal threats only, and only if there is fear of severe bodily harm. If a criminal is already brandishing a weapon and openly threatening, all bets are off, and the law is inclined to take the position of "you had to be there". Someone with a gun should do what makes sense, but is not obliged to be a hero or a vigilante.
  • santa6642 2012/08/14 13:09:07
    santa6642
    +1
    And be Armed.
  • Thecharliejay 2012/08/14 12:36:20
    Thecharliejay
    +2
    People should help people in trouble if they can, but if it is too dangerous it needs to be left to the authorities
  • Cero 2012/08/14 12:35:59
    Undecided/Other
    Cero
    +1
    It is the choice of the person, they can do whatever they want to. Should they merely depends on circumstances and what the morals are of the person asking the question
  • Jester M.S. 2012/08/14 12:28:54
    They should leave it to the police.
    Jester M.S.
    +1
    I always advise the public to never attempt to apprehend dangerous criminals on their own. We are well trained to deal with threats, the public is not. I have seen far too many horror stories in this regard.

Its simple. If you see a potential threat, call 911 and we will netralize the threat with limited public risk.
  • Waldorf Jester ... 2012/08/14 14:18:38
    Waldorf
    +1
    When seconds count, the law is only minutes away.
  • Jester ... Waldorf 2012/08/14 14:48:11 (edited)
    Jester M.S.
    +1
    I can appreciate vigilance, but its my job to subdue threats. Resolution with no loss of life or property is my traning.

I would never tell a property owner what to do on their own property, but we are well trained in dealing with beligerents. I would ask that you let us (law enforcement) deal with any potential problems.
  • Waldorf Jester ... 2012/08/14 19:06:00
    Waldorf
    You must be new. There are so many times when you can't be there when needed, and criminals don't allow people to call a timeout until you arrive.

Courts have already established that it is not the police's job to protect anyone, and they cannot be sued for failing to do so. Therefore, it is every citizen's right and responsibility to be prepared to defend himself.

I would agree that unnecessary attempts to be a hero or unrighteous shootings need to be avoided.
  • Jester ... Waldorf 2012/08/14 23:59:22
    Jester M.S.
    I appreciate your position sir, and obviously those of us in law enforcement cant be a million places at once. But, given the chance, we will protect your person and property. Its the nature of the job, and what me and the rest of the deputies make our living off of.

You have every right, as a private citizen and propery owner, to do what you have to do to safeguard your assets. All I ask if a simple phone call if anthing is amiss and deputies will be dispatched to do their jobs.

2014/07/31 17:38:27